Mini Series: Half Brothers: Judgment

Mini Drama: Half Brothers

Mini Series: Half Brothers: Judgment

 

-Inside the Hospital-

 

        Jeonghan was confined. His whole family went there to see how Jeonghan was. Il Kook and Choi grandpa ended up crying as soon as they saw their poor angel lying weak and unconscious on the hospital’s bed. It made their hearts crushed little by little until it turned into shattered pieces by thinking of how painful he have been through. Choi grandpa was the one who first caressed Jeonghan’s face gently.

 

Grandpa:

My poor angel. What have they done to you?

(Kissed his forehead and cried)

 

        Meanwhile, Il Kook and SungJae were with Seungcheol who was suffering from asthma because of the stress he acquired from everything that had happened.

 

-Inside the Police Station-

 

        The police were busy investigating the said case and it was confirmed that they were one of the most wanted groups in Korea. They looked upon their evidence and discovered that they took some videos and posted it in ography sites and that includes men, women and children. Some were being sold in foreign lands and sometimes they bid on them too. They sell drugs using their websites without fear. Indeed they were a big catch.

 

        KwangSoo returned to work to help them investigate. He was in charge of filing the names of victims and looking for their parents or relatives. He was busy stacking the papers he just printed with the names of the victims when he heard cries of people, asking for help and mercy, on the other table with the assigned investigators. He fisted his large hand and he felt killing them. Those people are just demons!

 

On the other hand, the police had badly reacted on the video they saw in the said website site. It was heart breaking for the victims, and face smashing for the pests who do that kind of things. People were still biding upon those people being offered.

 

 They did not shut the website down because they wanted to arrest those people who still bid and bought the poor victims, as well as the people involved- including the facilitators. They created a username for them to have access and track all those IP addresses in order to locate those criminals and hunt them down.

 

The police wanted them down. They wanted them to be put behind the bars. It was horrible… the torture, the . It’s inhumane! Good thing, that they somehow stop their illegal operations or else, many people would suffer. Finally, their evilness were about to end. The police were doing their best to stop them, now that they all have the evidence and list of names.

 

        While busy doing his job, KwangSoo was worried about Jeonghan and paid him a visit.

 

-Hospital-

 

        KwangSoo greeted Jeonghan’s family with all respect and asked if he could visit Jeonghan, but before he entered, Il Kook and his grandfather asked how the case was going.

 

        KwangSoo didn’t want to spill it all out because it was still under an intense operation, but they have the right to know. He warned them that it was really not good. Meanwhile, Seungcheol and Sung Hoon together with SungJae approached him when they saw the tall figure talking to Ilkook and Choi grandpa and asked the same question.

 

KwangSoo:

(Sighed)

I don’t know if I am going to say the right word but I need you to please calm yourself.

(He breathed heavily before he started)

Well, as you know, they forcibly gave him drugs to make his body weak… and the tor-

(Cleared his throat)

The torture was cruel as well as the… ummm-

Se-

(He was hesitant at first because it’s a heavy word and it would take a few seconds to say it))

Se-ual assault.

 

        He could feel how heavy the atmosphere had become after revealing it with a brief description, and it caused Choi grandpa to fell on his knees after saying his statement.

 

Il Kook:

Dad!

 

Grandpa:

(Sobbing)

My poor boy. My poor grandson. My poor angel.

What have they done to you?

(With his knees bended in weakness)

I want them dead!

I want them dead!

Oh, my poor Jeonghan.

 

KwangSoo:

I’m sorry, sir. I couldn’t protect your son.

 

Il Kook:

Don’t say that.

You are our savior.
(He cried so much, and he didn’t know how to face his son anymore. same as Cheol, he felt that everything was his fault)

 

Seungcheol:

It was my fault.

I betrayed him.

(He said sadly)

 

        After a short while, the nurse called them because Jeonghan had already opened his eyes. Everyone rushed inside.

 

        Meanwhile, Jeonghan’s eyes widened and at the same time he was relieved that he was finally out from that hell.

 

Jeonghan:

(He muttered while crying)

Hyung.

 

        Seungcheol rushed to him and embraced him; however, Jeonghan did not held him back. Instead, he shoved his body away from Seungcheol, and looked at the other man. Not Sung Hoon, but to KwangSoo.

 

Jeonghan:

KwangSoo hyung!

 

        He lifted his weak arms and waited for a tight embrace from the stranger who took good care of him. The stranger who treated him as family and had never betrayed him. The stranger who’s willing to sacrifice his life just to save him from the pits of hell. He knew all about this because he was still conscious during that time. It’s just that, he couldn’t talk and think properly as his body felt like breaking into pieces.

 

        With a little hesitation, because it was awkward since they were in front of his real family and that Jeonghan chose him rather than them, KwangSoo finally gave him an embrace.

 

KwangSoo:

Sorry, Jeonghan-ah… I was too late.

(He embraced him tight and warm)

 

 

Jeonghan:

I’m so scared.

 

KwangSoo:

It’s okay now. You are safe now.

( Jeonghan’s head gently)

 

        Jeonghan couldn’t stop crying as he was hurt inside out.

 

KwangSoo:

You are home now.

 

Jeonghan:

I don’t want to stay here anymore.

Let’s go home.

Please.

 

KwangSoo:

I’m afraid you have to go with your family.

 

Jeonghan:

What are you saying, hyung?

Let’s go home.

 

KwangSoo:

I am with your whole family and they are all here inside this room.

 

Seungcheol:

Jeonghan-ah.

(His voice was shaking)

Don’t you remember me?

 

Jeonghan:

Sorry, sir but I don’t.

 

        Seungcheol break down. He felt a sudden stab on his heart.

 

Il Kook:

(Consulted the doctor)
Doctor, why can’t he remember us?

 

Doctor:

Maybe it was the side effect of the drugs or if not by his trauma.

We found out that he hit his head because of the bruises.

He will soon remember everything.

 

Seungcheol:

Jeonghan-ah. I’m sorry… I’m really sorry.

(He did not have the courage to touch him anymore)

I’m sorry.

 

Jeonghan:

I’m sorry sir…

(Looked at KwangSoo)

Hyung, I don’t want to stay here. It’s scary. I’m scared.

 

KwangSoo:

Don’t worry, they are good people.

We just need to wait until you are fully healed. Alright?

You want something to eat?

 

Jeonghan:

Anything that you cook, hyung.

(He smiled weakly)

 

KwangSoo:

(Brushed Jeonghan’s hair)

You know I only cook steamed sweet potatoes.

 

Jeonghan:

Then, I will have it.

(He forced his smile)

 

KwangSoo:

I will just buy because we don’t have any steamer here, you know.

(He giggled softly)

Tell me what you want.

 

Jeonghan:

Sweet potatoes, hyung.

 

Seungcheol:

Let me buy something for the both of you.

(With his tearful eyes)

 

Jeonghan:

It’s okay sir. My brother can buy me one.

(He refused Seungcheol with a gentle smile which pierced his heart badly)

 

Seungcheol:

Then- then let me treat you this time.

Please?

 

KwangSoo:

Sir, it’s gonna be alright. He just want a simple food. I can buy them for him.

 

Jeonghan:

And a shikye please. One for me and one for Ha-

(Then he remembered)

Hyung!

(He started searching for him.)

Hansol! Hyung! They go-

(He panicked and screamed.)

She has my baby brother! Please find her! Please! Please! And… and…

(He was again delusional because of the drugs he was forced to take resulting for his memories to flash back and forth remembering everything that happened bit by bit that’s why he jumped from one memory to another.)

Hyung!

Mingyu!

(He muttered)

Mingyu is hurt! Please… he’s-

(He was having a convulsion and hallucination and it was visible on how he acted.)

He’s badly hurt!

You are bleeding… Mingyu ya! Mingyu ya!

(He cried and screamed with everything he got as he was visualizing the scene itself again.)

Help me!!! Somebody… help us!

(He cried endlessly and curled himself in despair.)

 

        The men inside the room all felt pain seeing Jeonghan struggling like that. It pained them so much, but they couldn’t do anything to help him. They were afraid that their poor angel would not recover from the trauma he experienced.

 

        On the other hand, the doctor was calming him down. He gave him sedatives to get him back to sleep.

 

        The next morning, a scream called their attention. “No! Stop! Please, let me go!... please let me go! Hyung! hyung! Please help me! Please… please somebody… somebody help me.” those were the words Jeonghan had been repeatedly uttering. He was screaming until he calmed down, crying, and covering his body –sometimes his ears, with shaking hands and mumbling.

 

        As soon as they all went inside his room, they saw Jeonghan hurting himself, scratching his skin, punching his chest. Sung Hoon and KwangSoo immediately stopped him and held his hands tight, so that he couldn’t hurt himself anymore. SungJae, on the other hand, froze like a statue watching behind them. HE was so shocked on the effect of the abuse on his poor hyung.

       

        Jeonghan was drained, he breathed heavily and quickly as if there’s a heavy weight on his chest. He was having cold sweats despite his fever. He was scared. They could see it with his eyes. Jeonghan was shaking. Jeonghan was panicking… he became quiet all of a sudden. Later on, he just curved his body and cry.

 

        It was a painful view, a very excruciating one. The sting was like a poison killing them. It hurts… it hurts more and more, each and every time.

 

        When Jeonghan was finally calmed down. KwangSoo talked to him serenely.

 

KwangSoo:

Jeonghan-ah, it’s alright now. We are here. We will protect you.

 

Jeonghan:

Hyung.
(He started crying again)

I am disgusted with myself.

 

KwangSoo:

Hush now, I’ll be here.

 

SungJae:

(Cried heavily)

Hyung I am very sorry I wasn’t able to protect you.

(He shouted his heart from a distance after a long shock- SungJae finally spoke)

I’m sorry that I couldn’t find you as soon as possible.

I’m sorry.

(He couldn’t go near as he was ashamed of himself not doing his duty as his brother)

 

        Jeonghan looked at the pitiful SungJae who was whining endlessly from a distance.

 

Jeonghan:

It’s not your fault young man.

Don’t cry.

 

        He comforted the young man, but he refused to recognize him; even though, he could recognize them from the very start. In his heart, there’s a big wound, bleeding so hard that kept his heart feel distant with them. He was not ready yet. Not just yet.

 

SungJae:

Can’t you recognize me?

 

Jeonghan:

I am sorry.

(He lowered his head as he felt guilt.)

Come here. Don’t cry… none of this is your fault, young man.

 

        Jeonghan gave him an estranged embrace, while SungJae gave him a longing one.

 

SungJae:

I have no right to be called your brother anymore. Forgive me.

(He said sadly.)

 

Jeonghan:

Don’t cry.

 

 

-On the other room-

 

        Seungcheol, knowing that, Mingyu sacrificed his life to save his brother, offered his family a good treatment. Fortunately, he was saved from that critical hit; though, he went to an operation on his head. The doctor assured that his chances of waking up is high, but now, he’s still in coma.

 

Upon hearing the incident through Jeonghan’s hallucinations, Seungcheol find Mingyu immediately. He ordered for his transfer and immediate procedures. Seungcheol was the one who requested the hospital that he should stay right beside Jeonghan’s room, so that they could monitor him too.

 

Seungcheol:

Mingyu-ya, your love and bravery is priceless. Thank you.

I will take this as my big debt.

I will repay you no matter what.

 

Mingyu’s Mom (Ra Hel):

Thank you sir for giving us help.

 

Seungcheol:

I should be the one thanking you, ma’am.

 

Ra Hel:

How was Jeonghan?

 

Seungcheol:

He’s not in good shape.

 

Ra Hel:

Poor boy.

 

Seungcheol:

I envy Mingyu for his bravery.

 

Ra Hel:

Thank you, sir. I’m so proud of him. But he always make me sad because of that trait of him.

(He tears started pooling around her eyes)

He always breaks my heart… that kid doesn’t know any restrictions.

You know… he almost died when he tried to work at a construction site? He worked there because I was confined in the hospital and we have no money to pay for the bills. That kid!

Tsk!

His love is my strength… he’s my only angel. I love my son so much.

 (She tried not to cry and tell Seungcheol a happy story instead.)

You know,

I thought I had a twins back then... But they were opposites.

(She giggled as she remembered how cute they were back then.)

They agreed sometimes but mostly disagreed at many things. They fight like cats and dogs, but they love one another so much.

No one could ever break them apart. They took a bath together… eat together… sleep together… play and study all at the same time. They were partners, even in giving others headaches.

(She laughed completely.)

Mingyu would bring Jeonghan home and asked me if we could live together.

Jeonghan was the one who disciplined him back then… he’s such a kind boy.

He didn’t want Mingyu to answer me in a disrespectful manner. He taught Mingyu how to help with house chores… He’s like his mother sometimes. I am very surprised but I’m impressed too.

 (Looked at the sad young tycoon beside him with a soft smile)

Those kids are my everything after my husband left me.

Jeonghan is like my son. And I feel bad for him because I couldn’t do something for him before.

Poor boy… he deserves to have a good and loving family.

He treated me like his mother. He takes good care of me and make sure to never leave my side until I got better.

(She giggled as she remembered some picture in her memory.)

Their smiles are the sweetest thing in the world.

 

Seungcheol:

But this time I took it away from him.

I feel really bad. I feel sorry for him.

(He murmured with the saddest tone.)

 

Ra Hel:

Don’t blame yourself, son.

 

Seungcheol:

But if I hadn’t betrayed him, it wouldn’t turn out like this.

 

Ra Hel:

Everything will be mended, young man. No matter how deep and painful it could be.

Just give him time. And next time, you know what to do.

(She smiled gently and gave him a warm embrace.)

 

Seungcheol:

I hope he’d forgive me.

(He cried)

 

Ra Hel:

Trust Jeonghan, Seungcheol and trust your love for him.

 

 

        Seungcheol went home and tell Da Eun that they were cancelling their wedding. His gazes were cold. It became cold as he blamed his selfishness and blindness that costs his brother’s life.  

 

        He presented himself with a furious expression, holding several pictures on his hand.

 

Seungcheol:

(Presented the photos Sung Hoon and SungJae had gathered.)

Who’s that man?

 

Da Eun:

He’s just a friend.

 

Seungcheol:

Are you telling the truth?

(With a cold voice)

 

Da Eun:

Of course!

(With his shaky voice)

What’s happening?

 

Seungcheol:

Then what’s this?

(Cheol let her hear their conversation with her lover about the pregnancy. And presented her their chats including her arrival and departure in Seoul and America.)

 

Da Eun:

(She was shaking)

I don’t know what you are talking about.

Are you suspecting me?

 

Seungcheol:

I asked your doctor about your pregnancy.

I showed him every ultrasound you gave me…

(He raised his brows)

So… that’s why it’s just okay for me not to accompany you to your doctor because you want to hide the truth.

The truth that that baby is not mine!

You fooled me! You fooled me! Liar!

(He scoffed)

Are you entertained?

(He asked in a sarcastic tone)

You make me look like a fool! Damn it!

And it cost me my family!

 

        Seungcheol threw the picture on the floor angrily. If he could just hurt her, he would. He was very agitated and frustrated that moment. It was visible to his eyes that he was disgusted with the woman in front of him.

 

        However, Da Eun would still persuade him.

 

Da Eun:

I am sure this child is yours.

 

Seungcheol:

Then how do you explain everything I presented to you?

How?!

(He shouted)

We’re done, Da Eun.

You fooled me.

And here I am head over heel to you.

(He gritted his teeth in anger)

I should have listen… I should have listen!

(He murmured)

 

 

Da Eun:

Cheol-ah. I love you!

 

Seungcheol:

Enough!

No more lies!

We are done!

 

Da Eun:

Cheol, please… calm down…

We are having our fa-

 

Seungcheol:

You! You and your lover will have your family.

That kid is not mine!

 

Da Eun:

But-

 

Seungchceol:

Get out!

I don’t want to see your face again! Don’t dare, Da Eun! I tell you, I might kill you by my hands!

Jeonghan almost died because of my foolish love for you.

All those times that I should have trusted my poor brother, I trusted you instead!

My poor angel was just protecting me but I almost got him killed!

Because of you! Because of you!

(He cried gritting his teeth)

Get out!

 

        In fear, Da Eun immediately left, while Seungcheol fell to the couch repenting on every mistake that he had commited.

 

-Hospital-

 

        Seungcheol went back to the hospital after finishing everything with Da Eun. It surprised him when he saw SungJae crying along the hallway. He was really hurt. In addition, his grandfather had his dextrose on because he became weak, while his father was staying strong; although, his body was giving up. They were all outside the room, and he asked them why.

 

Seungcheol:

Why are you here?

 

Il Kook:

I can’t look at him, Cheol.

He’s suffering a lot. He keeps hurting himself and saying that he’s disgusted with himself.

 

Seungcheol:

What?

Who’s with him?

 

Il Kook:

Sung Hoon and the police officer.

He can only recognize KwangSoo ssi and Hansol. He kept shouting the boy’s name.

 

Seungcheol:

Let’s find him.

 

Il kook:

I already ordered attorney to find him as soon as possible.

Let’s just hope and pray that the boy is just well.

 

        Seungcheol entered the room and asked the two to give them time to talk. As requested, the two left them alone. Jeonghan stayed quiet avoiding his eyes to meet his hyung’s.

 

Seungcheol:

Jeonghan-ah, I know you can recognize me.

Can you hear me?

 

Jeonghan:

(Gritted his teeth and clenched his fist in anger)

Go ahead sir.

(He said while controlling himself not to burst in anger.)

 

Seungcheol:

Jeonghan-ah, I’m here to ask for your forgiveness. I know I was wrong.

(He paused for a moment.)

 

Jeonghan:

Are you done?

I want my hyung back here inside the room.

I’m not comfortable being with someone I do not know.

(He said with a cold voice)

 

Seungcheol:

Jeonghan-ah, I’m your hyung.

I know I did terrible things to you, but can you trust me again?

 

Jeonghan:

Hyung?

(He looked up with an angry yet teary eyes.)

Hyung?

Trust?

(He smirked while droplets of tears fall down from his beautiful face.)

You are the one who don’t know the meaning of that word, sir.

 

Seungcheol:

(He was extremely hurt but he knew that it was his fault)

I know it was all my fault and i- I wan-

(He couldn’t help himself but to cry)

 

Jeonghan:

(He shouted)

Yes! Yes! It is your fault! It is your fault everything in my life was ruined!

It was your fault that I lost my brother.

It was your fault why I ended up like this!

Because you don’t know! You don’t know everything!

You disregarded everything because you don’t trust me.  You don’t trust me!

My poor brother.

(He cried)

He’s just a child.

Now you want me to believe in you again?!

Because of you everything in my life ended up broken!

I hate you!

I hate you!

I hate you!!!

(He shouted and cried)

 

Seungcheol:

(He bit his lips, and he couldn’t utter any single word but…)

I’m sorry.

 

Jeonghan:

(He looked at his hyung with his glaring eyes)

Why should I believe people who betrayed me three times?

… Who says I love you when they don’t trust me?

… Who says he’s a family but ended up abandoning me?

Huh? Why should I?!

(Tightened his grip on the blanket)

You are the one who disowned me and now you are telling me that you want me to believe you again? You want me to be back in your arms again?

Don’t make me laugh.

 

Seungcheol:

I’m really sorry.

 

Jeonghan:

Alright.

Yeah. Sure.

(Scoffed)

 

Seungcheol:

I’m sorry.

 

Jeonghan:

Don’t feel sorry for me. This is my life. Maybe my destiny.

Destiny to be doomed for the rest of my life.

Don’t feel sorry. I don’t need it anymore.

What’s that for? I’m done!

 

Seungcheol:

(He embraced him, but Jeonghan shoved him away)

I’m sorry.

 

Jeonghan:

Don’t touch me!

 

Seungcheol:

Tell me, Jeonghan-ah. Tell me what should I do?

 

Jeonghan:

(He cried heavily)

I loved you so much. I respected you. I trusted you. I believed in you.

It hurts me so much knowing that I don’t deserve it.

 

Seungcheol:

No, Jeonghan. That’s not true.

It is I who doesn’t deserve your love… I’m sorry… i-

 

Jeonghan:

You said that right in front of my face when you declared that you couldn’t consider me as your brother anymore.

You said that right into my face!

(He screamed angrily.)

 

        Seungcheol couldn’t say a word. He just accepted the pain Jeonghan wanted him to receive. It’s alright. It’s his punishment after all. Punishment for hurting such an angel- a precious gift from heaven.