Mini Series: Half Brothers: In Favor

Mini Drama: Half Brothers

Mini Series: Half Brothers: In Favor

 

        Ever since Jeonghan arrived in that mansion, he hardly communicate with Seungcheol; in addition, it became a busy day every day.

 

One day, he felt stressed because he needed to cram for his exams. He wasn’t able to review from last night because the old man kept on ordering him of what to do. Besides, Hansol’s cry every morning made him worry as well. He knew that Hansol was scared in that room they were currently sleeping in. He knew what Hansol feels because he too had experienced what Hansol experienced. Every night, he shut his eyes close thinking of good things that happened into his life, especially when he’s with his brothers. He thinks of that every time they were inside that dark, small room in order to fall asleep.

 

        When he was about to go home, SungJae called him and told him that Hansol has a fever. But he calmed his hyung down by saying that he was with Mrs. Park at their house, and she was the one taking good care of him right now. Of course, that news would make Jeonghan extremely worried for his younger brother; even though, he knew that he’s safe with Mrs. Park.

 

        Jeonghan rushed home and see his little brother inside SungJae’s room.

 

Jeonghan:

(Cuddled him first)

Hansolie~ how are you now?

 

Hansol:

Sick, Hanhan.

(He said sadly)

 

Mrs. Park:

I already gave him his medicine. Don’t worry.

 

 

She looked at Jeonghan, and she observed that the young man was kind of pale.

 

Mrs. Park:

Are you alright?

 

Jeonghan:

Yes, Mrs. Park. Thank you.

I was just exhausted for not able to have a good sleep last night. (Every night)

 

Mrs. Park:

I see.

You have to rest now.

 

        But before Jeonghan answered, his grandfather called him as soon as he heard that Jeonghan was home.

 

Choi Grandpa:

Jeonghan!

Come to my room!

 

        Jeonghan immediately came to meet his grumpy old grandpa. The old man was seizing every moment to torture Jeonghan while Il Kook was not yet home.

 

Jeonghan:

Yes sir?

 

Choi Grandpa:

Prepare me a meal. I will eat here. And after that massage my feet.

Did you get me?

 

Jeonghan:

Okay, sir…. But, sir…

Can we just sleep in the living room tonight?

Hansol is sick.

(He asked gently)

 

Grandfather:

What’s wrong with being in that room?

(With his pissed stare)

You should be grateful that I let you live in my house.

 

Jeonghan:

I am sir, but can’t you let us just for one night?

 

Grandfather:

What did I say, young man?

 

Jeonghan:

(He bit his lips because he too was scared)

Okay sir. I get it.

(He bowed his head and excused himself to cook for him.)

 

        So, he cooked dinner for his grandfather and for the others as well. As soon as he finished cooking, he prepared it and went upstairs to give Choi grandpa his dinner.

 

Jeonghan:

Sir, can I feed my brother for a while?

 

Grandpa:

(Of course, he’s heart was not hard as stone)

Go on.

Come here after you feed him.

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you, sir.

Please enjoy your meal.

 

        Jeonghan closed the door gently. He immediately went down to feed his baby brother, while the old man was enjoying his simple yet delicious meal in his room with savory fish, vegetable with a little meat and a plain rice. He was impressed on how Jeonghan handle things. He has good manners and at the same time responsible and capable. He was somehow going soft on Jeonghan, but of course, it wasn’t that easy. It has just been days since he arrived, so he needed to know him more for his approval.

 

        One moment, while the Choi family were having their dinner - without Jeonghan- some mad lady called his name. He was surprised by it and ran to where the sound was coming from. Good thing Hansol was sleeping on SungJae’s room for a while.

 

Jeonghan:

What’s happening, Madame?

 

        As soon as he went there, he saw a plate flying towards him, and it almost hit him in the face.

 

Madame:

You! Did you make all of these?

 

Jeonghan:

Yes, ma’am.

 

SungJae:

Mom!

 

Il Kook:

Hye Ri!

(He said angrily as he witnessed that she almost hit Jeonghan.)

What happened?!

You almost hit Jeonghan!

Are you out of your mind?!

 

        SungJae’s mother rushed and slapped Jeonghan on the face. Jeonghan and the others were surprised by her action. Then, the poor boy got another slap on his left cheek.

 

SungJae:

Mom! Stop hurting him. Why what’s wrong?

(He was trying to stop his mom from hurting his precious hyung.)

 

Il Kook:

What’s the matter Hye Ri?!

 

Hyeri:

This bastard of yours put some peanuts on our food.

(With his ill-tempered shout)

You!

(Ordered the maid)

Get my medicine in our room!

This boy is trying to kill me!

(She accused the poor Jeonghan while scratching her neck out of the reaction.)

 

Jeonghan:

(Bowed and apologized)

I am sorry, I didn’t know.

I should have asked you before I cooked.

 

Il Kook:

(Approached him)

Are you okay?

( his cheeks gently)

 

        Meanwhile, his grandfather Choi heard the commotion, and he hurriedly went to the kitchen. He witnessed how hard the lady monster hit his grandson.

 

Grandfather:

You stop that, Hye Ri!

(He shouted)

It serves you right! (From having an allergy)

Your voice stings my ears!

 

        Well, the two had really a war inside their house whether Il Kook was there or not. Choi Grandpa would rather side to the poor Jeonghan than that of the wicked lady.

 

Grandfather:

If you don’t like the food, eat outside!

 

Hye Ri:

But he almost killed me!

 

Grandfather:

How dare you hit someone who cook a delicious food for you?

(He reprimanded)

 

Hye RI:

I have allergy, for god’s sake!

 

Grandfather:

It’s your fault not asking before eating.

(He looked at the poor boy beside him with his reddened cheeks)

Come with me boy.

I need my massage now.

 

        The old man took Jeonghan away from that using that lame excuse. SungJae followed them without a second though; although, he was scared of the old man. He embraced his hyung and caressed his face.

 

SungJae:

(He felt guilty of what his mother had done to him)

Are you okay, hyung?

(Wearing a troubled face)

 

        Jeonghan didn’t speak as he was so astounded of what had happened.

 

SungJae:

Let me get some ice.

 

Hye Ri:

SungJae, don’t touch that low life! And don’t ever talk to him as if you are equal.

(She said with range)

 

SungJae:

He’s my brother!

(He fought back for the first time)

 

Il Kook:

Enough!

Shut your mouth Hye Ri!

Don’t you dare speak ill to my sons.

You’re making my stomach upset!

(He groaned in annoyance.)

 

Hye Rin:

You too?

I am your wife here!

 

Il Kook:

And they are my sons.

It’s not their fault, okay?!

Drink your medicine as soon as possible and go to bed if you don’t want to eat.

(He said angrily)

 

        That night was scary for the people inside the mansion. It made the atmosphere tensed and silent.

 

        On the other hand, SungJae too was invited coldly by his grandfather inside the room to have his massage done. Well, it was their first encounter and touch since SungJae was born into this world. It made the boy tremble, but he couldn’t think of that much because his brother was hurt.

 

SungJae:

I’m sorry, hyung.

 

Jeonghan:

I’m fine, SungJae.

I’m used to it anyway. Your mom’s slap was not that hurtful.

(Though his hands started to shake, and his face became paler.)

 

SungJae:

Are you sure you are alright?

 

Jeonghan:

Yeah. You can leave me here.

(He smiled faintly)

I will be fine.

I’ll just have to do my duties.

(Then, he whispered)

He’s like Cheol hyung.

(He giggled; though, the tense was still there. He did it so SungJae won’t worry about him anymore.)

 

SungJae:

Really?

Just call me later if you need anything.

 

Choi Grandpa:

Where do you think you are going SungJae?

Massage my feet too.

 

SungJae:

(Pointed his finger at himself)

Me?

 

Granddfather:

Is there any SungJae inside this room, brat?!

 

SungJae:

None, grandpa.

 

Grandfather:

Go ahead and massage me.

 

        So, the two helped one another to give their grandfather a nice and soothing massage. Unfortunately, SungJae was shoved by his grandpa using his leg because it was not soothing at all, instead, SungJae squeezed it too hard that his poor weak legs started to cramps. As a result, he let Jeonghan do all the massage on his legs up to his shoulders. Grandpa Choi felt extremely satisfied and pleased and for the first time, he formed a smile on his face.

 

Grandfather:

You can go now.

Thank you.

Eat your dinner.

(His heart was slowly melting)

Jeonghan… cook mandu tomorrow if you can. I want it on breakfast.

 

Jeonghan:

Okay sir.

By the way. Thank you for rescuing me earlier.

 

        Choi Grandpa didn’t speak a word but he replied by a simple nod.

 

        Jeonghan went back to the small room alone because he asked SungJae if he could just let Hansol sleep there for a night. On his way down, Il Kook was waiting at his room sitting on the mattress, nicely arranged on the floor.

 

        Jeonghan was stunned because of his father’s presence inside his room.

 

Jeonghan:

Go-good evening sir.

 

Il Kook:

Come close, my boy.

 

        Jeonghan came close as he received a warm hug from his father. A hug of a true parent. So warm, so tight.

 

Il Kook:

I’m sorry about earlier. Don’t think of it.

Are you hurt?

 

Jeonghan:

I’m just fine.

 

        Looked closely into his son’s pretty face.

 

Il Kook:

(Brushed Jeonghan’s hair)

My son, I’m sorry I wasn’t able to protect you again.

Look at the bruise on your face.

 

Jeonghan:

I’m okay.

The witch’s hand is heavier than hers.

 

        Upon hearing that, Il Kook felt guilty.

 

Il Kook:

Is she hurting you?

 

Jeonghan:

Each and every day.

(With a blank expression, as if he was already numb of the hits she made.)

 

Il Kook:

I’m sorry, Jeonghan. I should have searched for you as soon as possible.

 

Jeonghan:

I’m fine. Don’t worry. I didn’t say that because I want you to have pity on me. I want you to know that the woman you adored before has become a monster.

 

Il Kook:

I’m so sorry.

It’s my fault.

 

Jeonghan:

Sir, you have to go up now and rest.

 

Il Kook:

Sleep in my room if you want.

 

        A sudden black out occurred, and it made Jeonghan fled on his father’s arms. Fortunately, the lights came back after their generator was . Il Kook was surprised with his son’s action; nevertheless, he embraced him too.

 

Il Kook:

It’s alright now, my sweet son.

 

        Jeonghan let go of his embrace as he became embarrassed.

 

Jeonghan:

I’m so sorry, sir.

 

Il Kook:

Are you afraid of the dark?

 

Jeonghan:

No sir. I’m not like this. Don’t mind me.

 

Il Kook:

Let’s go up. You will use my room. Or you want to use Cheol’s room instead?

 

Jeonghan:

No, Sir I’m fine… but please ask your father to let me sleep i-

(His breath was becoming faster and shorter)

Please let me sleep i-

 

        Before he completed his sentence, he fainted. Il Kook was shocked and asked his maids to get the keys of his car. SungJae ran as fast as his feet could function when he heard his father shouting in panic.

 

SungJae:

Dad, what’s wrong?

 

Il Kook:

Jeonghan fainted. I’ll bring him to the hospital right now. He’s cold.

Stay here. Be with Hansol and your grandpa. I’ll be back in a while.

 

        Il Kook rushed to the door, but before he ran to get his car, Choi Grandpa joined them. He felt guilty because of his abuse to the kind and caring young man.

 

-Inside the Hospital-

 

        The doctor reported that he had an over fatigue and now he has his fever; however, he needed to be confined because Il Kook requested for a full checkup, so that they would know if he had any other illness and of course, to check his health.

 

Doctor:

Ummm… can I ask you a question, sir?

I hope you don’t mind.

 

Il Kook:

Sure.

What’s the matter?

 

Doctor:

As we checked through his body as you requested for a full checkup, we found out something.

Please follow me.

(The doctor led them to the room)

 And about the symptoms that occurred earlier, I think… he’s suffering from a trauma or a phobia, since we found nothing unusual inside his body except for…

(He uncovered Jeonghan’s hospital gown and let them see his upper body.)

This.

 

It was horrifying for Il Kook and Choi grandpa to witness scars all over his body.

 

Doctor:

We are just waiting for his x-ray to know if he had some other fractures.

Well, the obvious one was on his pinky.

This fracture deformed his finger as it healed based on the structure.

 

We are afraid that he had suffered from abuse.

Did you happen to know all of these?

 

Il Kook:

Oh my god!

(He almost cried of how his son had suffered from the hands of his own mother)

 

Choi Grandpa:

Abuse?!

 

Doctor:

Beating, burns, and fractures. He has all those, sir.

 

Choi Grandpa:

Who did that to my precious grandson?

(He muttered in anger)

 

Il Kook:

How bad are his scars?

 

Doctor:

Based on how they look, most of them was acquired years ago.

There were some fresh cuts but it was fully healed now, sir.

 

 

Choi Grandpa:

He was abused, Il Kook!

Oh good Lord! What kind of treatment did he had before?

 

Il Kook:

(He cried)

He just told me that Ha Jin hits him every single day.

My poor boy. My poor son.

 

        Choi Grandpa felt too much guilt as he too was abusing him. He didn’t know that he had a hard life from his own mother. Upon seeing his son crying for his beloved Jeonghan, he gently patted Il Kook’s back as he knew how a father would feel if something like that happens to an angel just like Jeonghan.  

 

Choi Grandpa:

He’ll be fine.

I’m sorry.

 

        Later on, Jeonghan woke up. He was shaking and out of reflex he curved and covered his head and body out of fear. Fear that only Jeonghan could tell how horrible those memories were. Then he began screaming “please enough.” while crying.

 

        Il Kook held him tight. He shook him gently in order to wake up from a nightmare.

 

Il Kook:

It’s alright now, son. Dad is here.

Don’t cry. Don’t cry.

(He Jeonghan’s head gently)

 

        Seeing Jeonghan like that made them soft. His cry made them weak. His words let them feel guilt.

 

        After a while when Jeonghan became calm in his father’s embrace. He immediately let go of Il Kook’s embrace.

 

Jeonghan:

So-sorry, sir.

(Wiping his tears)

 

Il Kook:

It’s fine, son.

I’m terribly sorry.

 

Jeonghan:

I’m sorry. It just hit me. I’ll be fine now.

Can we go home?

Please don’t tell anyone.

 

Il Kook:

Okay, but let the doctor talk to you first.

 

        A psychologist went to see how Jeonghan was doing. And it seemed like Jeonghan was slowly coping up, it’s just that something reminded him of it, and the memories suddenly returned again.

 

        Jeonghan said that he was not afraid by the dark but with the small room. Particularly rooms like storage with no window and all. The psychologist tried to calm him down as he began panting while explaining everything. He let Jeonghan relax as he comforted him until he became okay again.

 

        On the other hand, Seungcheol’s reporter did not forget to update his hyung. Jeonghan seemed to forget texting him once in a while because he was busy with everything in his life, including the taming of his grandfather. Though, SungJae sometimes forgot to tell his hyung too.

 

        He reported that Jeonghan fainted, and he was brought to the hospital. Without any hesitation, he went inside his car and rushed to the said hospital. Good thing his fiancé was not in their house because she had to go to a business trip abroad. He called his dad immediately while on his way to their location.

 

        When Seungcheol arrived at the hospital, he was furious.

 

Seungcheol:

Why didn’t you tell me that he’s with you?

 

Choi Grandpa:

I fetched him in his school.

He’s living with us now, my grandchild.

 

Seungcheol:

What?!

Why did you not ask me?

What happened?

 

Il Kook:

He has a fever.

 

Seungcheol:

I heard he fainted?

 

Il Kook:

Yes.

 

Seungcheol:

Did you perhaps let him do work inside the house.

 

Grandfather:

I did that, grandson. I’m terribly sorry.

 

Seungcheol:

He needs rest, grandpa!

(He scolded the old man)

Where is he now?

 

        In Jeonghan’s surprise, he saw his hyung rushing towards him.

 

Jeonghan:

Hyung?!

(With his big cute pretty eyes)

How did y-

 

Seungcheol:

SungJae told me.

 

Jeonghan:

That brat!

(Gritted his teeth, but he was happy seeing his hyung)

I’m okay. Don’t over react.

 

Seungcheol:

Ya, imma!

You fainted again! Learn how to tell people that you cannot do it anymore or you are not feeling well.

Is that hard?!

(Flicked Jeonghan’s forehead hard.)

 

Jeonghan:

Aw!

That hurts!

 

Seungcheol:

Sorry.

(Caressed Jeonghan’s red forehead.)

You will not attend school tomorrow, is that clear?

 

Jeonghan:

Why not?

 

Seungcheol:

You are sick!

Are you crazy!

 

Jeonghan:

Let’s see.

If I feel better I’ll go.

 

Il Kook:

No, you will rest.

Your hyung is right.

You’ll stay here until tomorrow to finish some other tests.

 

Jeonghan:

But Hansol will look for me.

 

Seungcheol:

SungJae will take care of that.

 

        Seungcheol, Il Kook and Choi grandpa stayed inside the room, and Jeonghan was feeling more sick because of the awkwardness inside the room.

 

Jeonghan:

Ummm… I can go home alone tomorrow.

You can rest now, sir.

 

Il Kook:

Cheol, drive your grandpa home.

 

Seungcheol:

You should do that, so you can rest too. I’ll stay with this brat.

 

        The three of them argued of whom would look after Jeonghan and ended up going home altogether by the moment Jeonghan consumed his dextrose, which happened the following day. The three of them stayed there until Jeonghan finished all his checkups.

 

-Choi Mansion-

 

 Everyone was surprised when Seungcheol was seen around the vicinity of their mansion once again. Choi grandpa let Jeonghan use the other room prepared by Il Kook the other day, and Seungcheol slept back on his own room.

 

        Mission complete! The whole Choi family was now living altogether once again inside their mansion.

 

        The next morning, surprisingly, Hansol got better. And what made people astounded was, he did not look for Jeonghan because his idol, SungJae, was playing with him.

 

On the other hand, Jeonghan’s condition became worse as he couldn’t get up because of his weak body. Il Kook came and visit him with his porridge.

 

Il Kook:

How are you feeling, son?

 

Jeonghan:

My head feels heavy.

 

Il Kook:

You should eat first.

 

        Later on, Choi grandpa snuck into his room bringing another food. It was a light flavored noodles. They were surprised that he was the one who brought Jeonghan his food; moreover, he really bothered to wake up early to ask the maids to make the noodles. The maids thought that he would eat it, but instead, he brought it into a different room. Choi grandpa was still cold just like his grandson, Seungcheol, but he wanted to ask for forgiveness in his own way.

 

Grandpa:

You should eat.

(He looked at what Il Kook brought him)

Porridge? No one’s ever going to get well with that blunt food.

(Gave Jeonghan the Kalguksu)

You better eat this while it’s still hot.

 

        After a while, Cheol came in Jeonghan’s room holding some beansprout soup with a rice meal. Really now, as if Jeonghan could eat everything when he has no appetite to eat at all.

 

Seungcheol:

(While carefully entering Jeonghan’s room)

Jeonghan, you mu-

(His words were halted when he saw his two old men inside Jeonghan’s room.)

What are you doing here?

 

Il Kook:

I brought him food.

 

        Seungcheol looked at their food and said…

 

Seungcheol:

He doesn’t want those. It’s better to eat rice in the morning, so he could recover faster.

Here, eat this.

(Arranging his breakfast table on his lap.)

 

        Then, here comes SungJae bringing a simple Ramyun. He knocked on the door and flinched when he saw his the three with his pretty hyung.

 

SungJae:

Omo!

(He almost dropped the noodles)

What are you doing here?

 

Jeonghan:

Where is Hansol?

 

SungJAe:

With Mrs. Park. He insisted to eat immediately so he can take a bath and go to school.

(He giggled)

I think you won’t be needing this one (ramyun) so I will eat it here. I’ll join you.

 

Jeonghan:

(The smell was so good that he asked SungJae what food he brought.)

What is that you are holding?

 

SungJae:

Ramyun, hyung.

 

Jeonghan:

Oh!

(With a delighted face)

Can I eat that?

You can eat any of these.

 

Seungcheol, Il Kook, and Choi grandpa:

Ya!

 

Jeonghan:

What?

(With his cute expression)

I’m sorry but I miss ramyun.

(He smiled)

SungJae, gimme that.

 

        SungJae fed him while the other men fed themselves with the once they had brought.

 

        Meanwhile, Jeonghan displayed his jolliest smile ever, so they won’t be worried anymore. Everything was smooth until SungJae planned to apologize to his hyung about what his mom did last night.

 

SungJae:

Hyung, I’m also here to say sorry for what my moth-

 

Jeonghan:

(Purposely cut SungJae’s words)

Oh, what that on your mouth?!

 

        He immediately grabbed SungJae’s mouth with his glaring eyes, threatening him not to speak of it anymore. The clueless SungJae were surprised and asked what was it.

 

Jeonghan:

I saw a big bug on your mouth.

Don’t open it yet, it may go inside your mouth, SungJae ah.

(That time SungJae got what his hyung was trying to say)

 

SungJae:

(He nodded and agreed with his mouth close)

mm-mmmh! (Al-right!)

 

        At last, Choi family was completed once again. But the big question was, for how long would the family last? Would it be a happy ending or it would be the same thing as before? – Scattered and broken.