Mini Series: Half Brothers: The Investigation

Mini Drama: Half Brothers

Mini Series: Half Brothers: The Investigation

 

        In the afternoon, as promised, Attorney Joong Hoon visited him at his office and invited him to talk about Yoon Jeonghan in a restaurant near his place.

 

Seungcheol:

I believe, you will explain everything to me in detail, Attorney.

 

Attorney Joong Ho:

Yes.

(Got a quick sip on his coffee.)

Jeonghan is a child of your father and Yoon Ha Jin, Choi family’s previous maid.

 

Seungcheol:

I know that already.

 

Attorney Joong Ho:

I see.

(Cleared his throat before he begin a long story.)

I was asked by your father to find him because he’s still his son, regardless of his mother and where he came from. He wanted to give him the same privileges you and your brother have.

(Took another sip of his hot coffee.)

 

Seungcheol:

(Murmured)

Same privilege, huh?

Tsk!

 

Attorney Joong Ho:

It took me 7 years to find him and his mother. I talked to his mother to give us Jeonghan but she won’t and demanded for a financial support. We gave it all to her, but I don’t know if it was properly used. When I came back to visit them when Jeonghan was 13, I found out that the poor woman became a e; moreover, she was addicted to drugs. I don’t know where she kept the little boy that time and demanded a large sum of money in exchange of seeing Jeonghan. I thought that she’s just trying to hide him to ask for more money for her benefit, so I decided not to give her what she wanted. I searched for him all by myself, instead. Luckily, I found him inside a restaurant where he worked as a part time. He was 15 then, and he looked so weak. I could tell that he barely eats.

(Seungcheol interrupted.)

 

Seungcheol:

Are you trying to put up some drama now, attorney, so that I could pity him or something?

(He leaned on the chair with a frowning brows, while crossing his arms on his chest.)

Fast forward.

 

Attorney Joong Ho:

Okay. Well, I approached him but he won’t come, even if, I tell him that he will live a good life with his father.

 

Seungcheol:

Maybe he became afraid of you because you sounded like a human trafficker, offering such a to-good-to-be-true life. If I were him, I might get scared too.

 

Attorney Joong Ho:

Probably

(Admitted it, since it sounded just like what Seungcheol imagined because of his offer.)

But I gave him my number. I don’t know why, but he suddenly contacted me last month.

 

Seungcheol:

I heard that he want to study.

 

Attorney Joong Ho:

Yes. That’s what he told me.

I checked on his background and found out that despite his situation, he managed to enter school on his own, by taking scholarship programs. He’s a good student and I think, he’s a good kid too.

Give him a chance. I know you’ll like him.

 

Seungcheol:

You owe me.

 

Attorney Joong Ho:

(Handed him an envelope.)

It’s his allowance.

 

Seungcheol:

Good!

 

Attorney Joong Ho:

Your father wanted to let him attend a good school, so better enroll him in a good school this upcoming school year. He’s not decided yet of which school he wanted to study. Inform me about that.

I’ll make his own bank account soon when I have time. But for now, I will just give it to you.

(He was signing a cheque.)

Here’s for his tuition.

Just let him write the amount needed here.

And contact me if he needs more.

 

Seungcheol:

Okay. No worries. Thanks.

Such a lucky kid!

(Smiled sarcastically.)

Attorney, can I have a picture?

 

Attorney Joong Ho:

What for?

 

Seungcheol:

For some purposes.

 

        The attorney handed him pictures which was taken by a detective. Seungcheol scanned the pictures and realized that his brother possessed a really unique face.

 

Seungcheol:

Very well.

Maybe I can start selling him in the market.

(Shift to the other picture.)

He looks good on this.

 

Attorney Joong Ho:

Seungcheol, be a nice brother to him.

I’ll leave him in your care.

Protect him. He’s your responsibility now.

 

Seungcheol:

Alright. Alright.

But as you promised me… two months… only for two months.

(Reminded him of what he had told him earlier.)

He’s a grown up man, he can handle himself.

 

        Their meeting ended quickly and Seungcheol handed over Jeonghan’s pictures to his best friend, Sung Hoon. He scanned Jeonghan’s pictures and he had the same expression with Seungcheol.

 

Sung Hoon:

You said, it’s a brother?

(Emphasized the ‘brother’ word.)

 

Seungcheol:

Yeah. He is.

I too got confused too, but don’t be.

Let’s make money out of his androgynous features, should we?

(Went back to his table to sign some documents.)

It’s a good thing, he didn’t have dad’s annoying face or else, I will kick him out. I bet his mother has a pretty face too, otherwise, that old man wouldn’t have wronged us.

 

Sung Hoon:

Don’t include me on you evil plan, and besides, how can you sell your own brother? You must be insane.

 

Seungcheol:

I did not confirm yet that he’s really my brother.

Watch him first. I don’t trust him yet. I bet he do not trust me either.

 

Sung Hoon:

(Looked at Jeonghan’s picture once again.)

She- I mean he looks kind and gentle.

 

Seungcheol:

I’m not yet sure.

 

-Inside Seungcheol’s home: 7:00pm-

 

        Seungcheol was surprised upon seeing his house incredibly clean. It felt like it was a hotel suite. The floor was shining, there was no trace of dust everywhere; in addition, and the house smells so good. He was very impressed.

 

Seungcheol:

Jeonghan!

(He called for him.)

 

Jeonghan:

Yes, sir!

(He humbly ran to meet his boss.)

Dinner is ready!

(He smiled.)

 

Seungcheol:

(He thought, adopting him won’t be bad at all.)

Nice work! You impress me.

What’s our dinner?

 

Jeonghan:

Bibimbap, sir.

 

Seungcheol:

That’s it?

 

Jeonghan:

You don’t have anything in your refrigerator. I just mixed the left overs and cooked the available vegetable in it.

 

Seungcheol:

(He forgot about his refrigerator because he used to eat in a restaurant everyday.)

Oh I see.

 

Jeonghan:

Did you ever clean your refrigerator or you intentionally cultivate mold? Moreover, your freezer was loaded with ice already.

 

Seungcheol:

Oh boy! What happened?

(He felt disgusted upon hearing it.)

 

Jeonghan:

Don’t worry. I already clean it. I threw all the expired food too. It’s such a waste when you buy something but you don’t eat! You’re very fortunate, you know.

(He started nagging him.)

 

Seungcheol:

Are you trying to scold me?

 

Jeonghan:

Ah! No, sir!

(He did not intend to.)

 

Seungcheol:

Alright, let’s eat first, then let’s go to a grocery store. Get all we need because I want to eat here every day.

 

Jeonghan:

Understood.


Seungcheol:

Let’s buy your toiletries too.

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you.

 

        While eating, Seungcheol found the atmosphere very awkward and quiet. Suddenly, he remembered something that Attorney Joong Ho asked him to do for Jeonghan.

 

Seungcheol:

Ah! By the way. Get my bag on the couch.

 

        The younger ones immediately got into his feet to get what Seungcheol ordered him to do. After getting the bag, he gave Jeonghan an envelope with money inside.

 

Seungcheol:

Here! It’s not from me. It’s from Attorney. He said it’s your allowance.

 

Jeonghan:

(It was visible in his smile that he was grateful.)

Thank you.

By the way…

 

        Seungcheol raised his brows indicating that he was listening while busy eating.

 

Jeonghan:

I need to know the password of this house. I did not able to go out because I don’t know the password.

 

Seungcheol:

Can I trust you with that?

 

Jeonghan:

Sure.

 

Seungcheol:

You won’t bring your gang here, aren’t you?

(Doubtful that he might bring his friends or gang to steal something from him.)

I don’t want visitors, is that clear?

From time to time, I will give you a list to remember. The rules inside this house.

(Surprised that the bibimbap was so good that he wanted more.)

Hey, are there more?

 

Jeonghan:

Nope. That’s the only thing you have in your ref.

 

Seungcheol:

(Noticed that he did not have a bowl.)

You did not eat?

 

Jeonghan:

I waited for you to stop eating because the food might be not enough for you.

 

Seungcheol:

Oh- sorry.

(He felt guilty.)

I’m still hungry. Dress up and we’ll go out.

I will wait for you outside so make it fast.

 

Jeonghan:

How about the dishes?

 

Seungcheol:

Do it later.

 

        Jeonghan rushed to his room to change his clothes, while Seungcheol waited inside his car. Seungcheol was really impressed with his skills and realized that he developed it because he was living all alone. Meanwhile, Jeonghan went out in a few minutes and rode the car immediately.

 

        They went and ate at Cheol’s favorite restaurant before going to the grocery store. As they walk through the aisle of an elegant restaurant, Jeonghan moves his head and eyes restlessly to observe the place.

 

Seungcheol:

Hey stop looking anywhere. You’re embarrassing.

 

Jeonghan:

Sorry, it’s just pretty.

 

Seungcheol:

Never been to any place like this?

Oh well, of course not.

(The waiter gave them the menu.)

Choose any and eat! You did a great job, kid! I’m satisfied.

(Noticed that his eyes enlarged upon seeing the menu. He did not know why? He thought that maybe because of the food or the price.)

Don’t worry, It’s my treat.

Enjoy while I’m in a good mood.

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you.

 

        A few minutes after they ordered, the food arrived and served in their table. It was luxurious! Jeonghan’s eyes were sparkling; though, after eating the meal, it seemed that he wasn’t satisfied yet.

 

Seungcheol:

(He knew that his order was not enough to fill his stomach with all the work that he did.)

Want to order more? Still hungry?

 

Jeonghan:

(He was shy, but then he tried to be honest.)

Yeah.

 

        The older ones ordered for him another set of meal, and he was surprised how big Jeonghan’s appetite was. He asked him if he ate his lunch but he answered.

 

Jeonghan:

I forgot. It was already dark when I finished cleaning your house.

 

Seungcheol:

Okay.

I like your dedication.

 

Jeonghan:

I think you’re such a good boss.

(He spoke innocently.)

 

Seungcheol:

I’m just in a good mood.

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you.

 

        They went straight to a grocery store to buy their food and other toiletries. Seungcheol was the one in charge of getting everything while Jeonghan pulled the cart for him. Jeonghan noticed that Seungcheol wasn’t thinking of what to get. He just grabbed everything and put it in the cart. Jeonghan was so envious at him because he get to do whatever he wanted to do and buy everything he wanted to buy.

 

Jeonghan:

What do you want for breakfast and dinner tomorrow?

 

Seungcheol:

Same thing as today.

 

Jeonghan:

How about the next day?

 

Seungcheol:

Same thing.

 

Jeonghan:

Aren’t you going to get enough of those? Besides, you buy a lot?

 

Seungcheol:

You decide.

 

Jeonghan:

Okay.

 

        They went home immediately after buying all they needed at the grocery store.

 

-Inside Seungcheol’s house-

 

        Seuncheol told Jeonghan to carry and arrange everything in the ref. He did not help in carrying the heavy stuffs they bought and went straight to the bathroom to take a shower. As instructed, Jeonghan put everything orderly to the refrigerator and waited Seungcheol to finish taking a bath before he put the toiletries inside the bathroom’s cabinet.

 

-Seungcheol’s Room-

 

Seungcheol:

(Lying in his bed.)

Jeonghan!

(He shouted)

 

Jeonghan:

Wait! I’m not yet done.

 

Seungcheol:

Come here as soon as you’re done there!

(He ordered.)

 

Jeonghan:

Just for a sec.

 

        After a while, Jeonghan came inside Seungcheol’s room.

 

Jeonghan:

What is it you want?

 

Seungcheol:

The massage.

 

        Seungcheol lay down facing his chest on the bed, ready for the massage. Jeonghan sighed because he was already tired, but he had no choice but to follow his boss. He started working as soon as Cheol was already comfortable with his position.

 

Jeonghan:

How many minutes?

 

Seungcheol:

Until I sleep.

 

Jeonghan:

How long will it take?

 

Seungcheol:

I don’t know.

 

Jeonghan:

I have to study for the entrance exam.

 

Seungcheol:

I don’t care.

Oh, the password of my door is 1004. I won’t repeat it again.

 

Jeonghan:

Really?!

You’re birthday?

 

Seungcheol:

No.

 

Jeonghan:

What does that mean?

 

Seungcheol:

Do I need to tell you?

 

Jeonghan:

I just want to know.

 

Seungcheol:

(Somehow, Seungcheol felt comfortable talking to him at that moment.)

My mom’s death anniversary.

 

Jeonghan:

I see.

I’m sorry to hear that.

She must be kind and loving mom.

 

Seungcheol:

Yeah.

(Remembered his mother and felt sad about it.)

Yours?

(Curious about his mother.)

 

Jeonghan:

Don’t tell anyone but she’s a witch!

(Joked at him.)

 

Seungcheol:

(Knew that he did not like his mom based on Attorney’s story.)

I see. I want to see a witch though.

 

Jeonghan:

For what?

 

Seungcheol:

I want to curse someone.

 

Jeonghan:

Your father?

 

Seungcheol:

(He smiled because Jeonghan did not intend to recognize their dad.)

Your father too!

(Told him lazily until he fell asleep.)

 

        The next day, everything was perfect. Seungcheol woke up at 5:00 in the morning having his breakfast served at his room. He was in a good mood that day. Meanwhile, Jeonghan was in the kitchen, reviewing his books while eating. Seungcheol saw him and wondered why read a book early in the morning.

 

Seungcheol:

Jeonghan-ah, what’s with the book?

 

Jeonghan:

I’m cramming, you know.

 

Seungcheol:

Of what?

 

Jeonghan:

I have an entrance exam today. I told you last night but you kept me massaging your back until you had fallen asleep. I got tired and I fell asleep also. Tsk!

 

Seungcheol:

Not my fault.

(Cold again.)

 

Jeonghan:

Tsk!

 

Seungcheol:

Don’t be late later.

 

Jeonghan:

For what?

 

Seungcheol:

I’ll be here by 7:00pm.

 

Jeonghan:

Okay. Got it.

 

Seungcheol:

Which school will you go?

 

Jeonghan:

Oh, it’s at Yonsei University. I believe it’s near your office. Atty. Joong Ho told me that. Can I hop in?

(Asked if he could go with him.)

 

Seungcheol:

No.

 

        Jeonghan wore a pissed expression and Seungcheol liked it.

 

Seungcheol:

If I take you to your school, you need to pay for it.

 

Jeonghan:

Never mind! I’ll just commute.

 

        From the moment Jeonghan stepped out on Seungcheol’s property, Sung Hoon started following him. Jeonghan walked to the bus station and it took a while because it was kind of far from his hyung’s place. Then, rode a bus to Yonsei University. He seemed a very innocent and nice person in Sung Hoon’s eyes, and he wanted to know more about him. He enjoyed following him the whole day because of his activities.

 

        After taking an entrance exam, Jeonghan did not go to Seungcheol’s place immediately, instead, he went to the nearest convenient store to apply for a part time job. He was hired immediately and he could start working on that day because they badly need a cashier to fill in that shift. Sung Hoon then, went inside and planned to buy something to see him up close.  He chose anything and proceeded to the cashier and pay. He noticed that he ate a candy and drank a cup of water while working. He remembered that he haven’t taken his lunch yet. He came close and observe him more while paying.

 

Jeonghan:

Good afternoon!

(He wore a very lovely and warm smile.)

 

Sung Hoon:

(He felt warmth with his greetings.)

Good afternoon!

(He smiled handsomely.)

 

Jeonghan:

(He laughed when he saw a candy with a toy on his cart.)

This is so cute. You enjoy eating this, sir?

 

Sung Hoon:

(He did not notice that it went through his cart and felt embarrassed.)

Oh! Oh, that! I-I

(He mumbled and rambled his words.)

That’s for my brother. He likes it so much.

(Smiled awkwardly.)

 

Jeonghan:

I see. You’re a nice brother.

 

Sung Hoon:

Not really.

 

Jeonghan:

How old is he? I think he’s adorable that you loved him so much.

 

Sung Hoon:

(He had no brothers at all. He thought of Seungcheol that time and felt disgusted.)

No, he’s not. Maybe sometimes. How about you? Do you have brother or sister?

 

Jeonghan:

Yeah.

 

Sung Hoon:

Is he kind?

(Out of curiosity.)

 

Jeonghan:

How did you know it’s a he?

(Confused.)

 

Sung Hoon:

(He was startled by his question.)

Ah, I just assume.

 

Jeonghan:

He’s cute.

 

Sung Hoon:

(Deep inside his mind.)

Cute? That monster is cute? Really?

(Paused breathing for a second in disbelief.)

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you, sir. Have a nice day!

(Handed the plastic with goods to him.)

 

Sung Hoon:

Thank you. Have a nice day!

 

Jeonghan:

I don’t think so.

(Sighed)

But thanks!

 

Sung Hoon:

(Stopped for a while and asked some more questions since no one is in line.)

Why?

 

Jeonghan:

Nothing. I’m just tired. I have to serve my boss after this shift.

 

Sung Hoon:

Boss? You have lots of part time.

 

Jeonghan:

I need too.

 

Sung Hoon:

May I know your job with your boss?

 

Jeonghan:

I’m like a maid.

(Sighed.)

 

Sung Hoon:

Maid?

So, is your boss demanding?

(He was confused of who’s he referring too.)

 

Jeonghan:

Maybe, but he’s kind. It’s just that, sometimes he’s cold and evil.

(Sighed again.)

 

Sung Hoon:

Wow! Really? You must have been very tired.

 

Jeonghan:

No. I’m fine.

(He smiled again.)

 

Sung Hoon:

Hey, can I order some coffee?

(It’s his first time to order an instant coffee, since he grew up in a wealthy family too like Seungcheol -where all their coffees were brewed and freshly made- because he wanted to know him more.)

 

Jeonghan:

Okay.

 

        He carefully made him a coffee and served him at the table near the counter.

 

Sung Hoon:

Would you mind if I stay here?

 

Jeonghan:

Sure. No worries.

 

Sung Hoon:

By the way, my name is Sung Hoon.

 

Jeonghan:

Jeonghan here. Nice to meet you sir.

 

Sung Hoon:

Your parents must be proud of you.  You seemed smart and hard working.

 

Jeonghan:

I don’t have any, sir.

I only have my brother.

 

Sung Hoon:

I’m sorry.

 

Jeonghan:

It’s okay. How about you?

 

Sung Hoon:

Well, I hope I make them proud.

 

Jeonghan:

Do you work now?

 

Sung Hoon:

Yes.

 

Jeonghan:

That’s nice. Is it your break time?

 

Sung Hoon:

It’s my off.

 

Jeonghan:

May I know your occupation?

 

Sung Hoon:

Manager.

(He lied about it, since he’s the vice president of their company.)

 

Jeonghan:

It must be nice to earn a lot of money. I hope I can graduate soon.

 

Sung Hoon:

You can do it!

(He smiled at him dearly.)

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you, sir.

 

        After their first meeting, Sung Hoon went to their office to report to Seungcheol of what happened in their first day. He brought out the toy candy dispenser and gave it to Cheol.

 

Sung Hoon:

Here.

 

Seungcheol:

What’s this for?

 

Sung Hoon:

A props.

 

Seung Cheol:

For what?

 

Sung Hoon:

For me to have a conversation with your brother.

 

Seungcheol:

How was it?

 

Sung Hoon:

He seems so nice. I feel comfortable with him immediately.

 

Sungcheol:

You feel that too?

Maybe with his looks.

 

Sung Hoon:

Yeah. Maybe.

He’s really pretty in person, though.

But you know, I think he’s sad. And this is what I’m confused at. Who’s his boss? Don’t tell me you made him your maid?

 

Seungcheol:

Yes. What did he say about me?

 

Sung Hoon:

He said you’re cute.

(Smirked.)

 

Seungcheol:

Don’t fool me around.

 

Sung Hoon:

Seriously. That’s why I’m confused right now. He said you’re cute, then kind but sometimes cold.

 

Seungcheol:

Maybe because I treated him dinner yesterday. He probably misunderstood.

 

Sung Hoon:

Speaking of meals.

I never see him eat any meal the whole day. Did he have his breakfast?

 

Seungcheol:

Yes. We ate at the same time.

 

Sung Hoon:

Did you give him allowance or something?

 

Seungcheol:

I gave what Attorney gave me for him. Why?

 

Sung Hoon:

That must be a large amount then, if it came from Attorney.

 

Seungcheol:

Why?

 

Sung Hoon:

Well, he walked going to the bus station, which is kind of far from your house. Good thing I have my car. And took a bus going to the school. Then, he only ate candy and drank water during his lunch.

 

Seungcheol:

Well, maybe he’s taking an exercise or probably going on a diet for some reason.

 

Sung Hoon:

But he’s too thin enough.

 

Seungcheol:

Maybe he spent it somewhere.

 

Sung Hoon:

Impossible! I never see him going anywhere except school, convenient store, and your house.

 

Seung Cheol:

Okay. Well, it’s his money so I don’t care.

 

Sung Hoon:

Don’t be hard on him.

 

Seungcheol:

Whose friend are you now?

 

Sung Hoon:

I mean, he’s a nice person.

He deserves love from his brother.

 

        After a long, tiring day, Seungcheol went straight home and smelled the aroma of a freshly cooked bibimbap. He immediately went to the kitchen to ask for his food.

 

Seungcheol:

Jeonghan-ah! My food!

 

Jeonghan:

Coming!

 

        Jeonghan served him food, but he did not join him in the table.

 

Seungcheol:

You’re not eating?

 

Jeonghan:

I already ate.

 

Seungcheol:

(Got pissed.)

Next time, don’t eat before me. Understood?

 

Jeonghan:

Okay. I’m sorry.

 

Seungcheol:

Massage me later.

 

Jeonghan:

Okay.

 

        With no other choice, Jeonghan massaged his back again including his hands and feet. The younger ones got tired easily but Seungcheol wasn’t sleepy yet.

 

Jeonghan:

(After an hour of massaging his cold boss.)

Can I go now?

 

Seungcheol:

Nope. Not until I fall asleep, remember?

 

Jeonghan:

But I’m so tired.

Besides, I have an exam tomorrow too, so I need to study.

(He got another exam from another university the next day.)

 

Seungcheol:

Again? I think it’s your habit to have that excuse.

 

Jeonghan:

I’m serious.

(He got pissed.)

 

Seungcheol:

I don’t believe you. What course are you going to take?

 

Jeonghan:

Medicine.

 

Seungcheol:

Can you do that?

(He was astonished that his brain can study such complicated course.)

 

Jeonghan:

Why? What? Of course! I’m not like you who’s playing with their studies because they have a lot of money.

 

Seungcheol:

Yah! You better watch your mouth.

You won’t stop until I say so.

(He picked up his phone and started to play some games.)

 

Jeonghan:

Can you not play with your phone because you’re making yourself awake!

 

Seungcheol:

Why do you care?

 

Jeonghan:

Hello! My hands are getting weaker.

 

Seungcheol:

So?

 

        Jeonghan got annoyed and stepped on Seungcheol’s back.

 

Seung Cheol:

Ahhh! Yaaaaaaaah!

(He got really annoyed with his actions.)

 

Jeonghan:

My hands are tired. My feet aren’t.

(He .)

 

        Seungcheol flipped his body to save him from that torture and caught Jeonghan to punish him by locking his head through his knuckles.

 

Jeonghan:

Ah! Stop!

It hurts!

(He slapped the big man’s arms to escape.)

 

Seungcheol:

You started it.

 

Jeonghan:

I’ll keep doing it!

(He threatened him.)

 

Seungcheol:

Fine! Go to your room now! Tsk!

(Dressed himself to sleep.)

 

        Jeonghan finally got a time to review and prepared himself for tomorrow’s challenge again.