Temptation of the Devil - Chapter 6

Temptation of the Devil

Woohyun awoke the next morning to sounds of laughter in the hallway.  Curious, he got up and opened the door to see the children all chatting excitedly with one another.  He noticed Sungjong and Father Sunggyu helping some of the younger ones to put on their shoes and jackets.  He wanted to ask what they were doing but instead, he kept quiet.

"We're going to the amusement park today," Father Sunggyu announced to him.  "You can come if you want."

The children all cheered as a little boy came and held onto Woohyun's hand.  Woohyun looked down at him and recognised as the little boy with the baseball from the park.

Woohyun crouched down to talk to him.  "What's your name?" asked Woohyun.

"Jin," replied the little boy.


The minute they arrived at the entrance of the amusment park, the children all shouted with joy as they raced towards the rides.  Woohyun held onto Jin's hand as they walked beside Father Sunggyu.  Jin saw the other kids walking in between their parents and holding onto each of their hands.  He looked up at Woohyun and Father Sunggyu.  With his free hand, he suddenly reached out and held onto Father Sunggyu's hand.  Jin looked up at the two of them and smiled with delight.


It was time for lunch when the children gathered at the restaurant.  Father Sunggyu noticed that Woohyun and Jin were the only ones not gathered yet.

"Where's Woohyun and Jin?" he asked the group.

"They were still on the merry go round," replied Sungjong.  "They said they would catch up."


When the ride ended, Woohyun and Jin got off and was about to head to the restaurant, when they were surrounded by a group of guys who Woohyun knew well.  The two were dragged behind the toilets where there were no passerby.

"You can do whatever you want with me," said Woohyun.  "Just let the kid go."

The leader of the group laughed.  "I don't like brats and I don't like you."  He signalled for the guys to attack.

Without a thought, Woohyun grabbed Jin and embraced him into his arms as he turned his back to shield him.  The group punched and kicked him but Woohyun ignored it all as he held Jin tight.  The beating continued.  Woohyun didn't know how much longer he could hold on.  Luckily, the group soon tired of this seeing as Woohyun didn't fight back.

"God, you're such a wuss now, Woohyun," said the leader as they walked away.

Woohyun struggled to stand up as Jin held onto him, trying to help him.

"Woohyun," he cried.

"It's okay, Jin.  Don't cry, they're gone now," said Woohyun.

"Does it hurt a lot?" asked Jin.

Woohyun shook his head.  "I'm fine, see?" He stood leaning against the wall of the toilet block.  "Do you know the restaurant we walked passed before? Do you think you can walk there yourself?" he asked Jin.

Jin nodded.

"Good boy.  When you get there, just tell Father Sunggyu that I will come later, okay?" he instructed.

Woohyun watched as Jin ran in the direction he was instructed.  When he was finally out of sight, Woohyun turned and staggered in the opposite direction.

He didn't get very far when he heard a voice behind him.  "I thought I said to meet at the restaurant at twelve.  The restaurant is in the opposite direction," said Father Sunggyu.

Woohyun halted in his step but didn't turn around.  "Even though it was for a short time, thanks for letting me stay," said Woohyun.  "But I can't go back like this.  You were right.  I will only be a burden."

Woohyun continued walking ahead but Father Sunggyu suddenly walked in front of him.

"Get on," said Father Sunggyu indicating to his back.  "You can hardly walk."


The group arrived back to the church as Father Myungsoo greeted them at the door.  He raised his eyebrows at the sight of Woohyun on Father Sunggyu's back.

'Are you two going to be doing this often?" he asked them.