Temptation of the Devil - Chapter 4

Temptation of the Devil

Woohyun stood and watched as the tall doctor treated and bandaged Father Sunggyu's head.

"There we are," said the doctor as he turned to smile at Woohyun.  "Lucky he's got a hard head.  Just a little rest and he'll be fine."

Woohyun breathed a sigh of relief as he walked over to sit on the chair beside the bed and watched over Father Sunggyu.

The doctor came over and stood beside Father Myungsoo.  "So, is that one new here?" he asked, indicating to Woohyun.

Father Myungsoo shook his head.  "No," he replied.  "But I'm starting to wonder if he may be a burden after all."

"Well, it's late," said the doctor.  "I better be on my way.  Call me if you need anything."

"Thanks Sungyeol," said Father Myungsoo as the doctor took his leave.

"I should go too," spoke Woohyun, getting up to leave.  "Otherwise, if he wakes up and sees me, he'll probably hate me more."

"He doesn't hate you," said Father Myungsoo.

Woohyun smiled bitterly as he looked on Father Sunggyu.  "If telling someone to go die isn't hate, then I can't wait to see what he does if he really hates someone," said Woohyun.  He turned back to face Father Myungsoo.  "I didn't get to properly thank you for the helping me the other night."

"You don't have to thank me," said Father Myungsoo.

"It would be nice if he could treat me as kind as you," said Woohyun.


Woohyun sighed when he saw a group of men blocking his path as he tunred into the alley.  He noticed they were all armed with machetes.  He quickly glanced around and found a metal pole amongst a pile of trash.  He reached for it as the men charged towards him.


"What's wrong with you?" asked Woohyun as he took the seat beside Dongwoo at the cafe.

"Massive hangover.  Remind me never to drink again," replied Dongwoo as he turned to look at Woohyun.  He noticed Woohyun's left hand was bandaged up.  "What happened to you?" he asked.

"Just got careless with a sharp object," Woohyun replied.

"Have you heard?" asked Dongwoo, sounding serious all of a sudden.  "They just found more bodies this morning.  There's a rumour going around that the one bumping off those Chul Moo guys is the Red Demon."

"Red Demon?" asked Woohyun.  "What kind of name is that?"

Dongwoo shrugged.  "Remember the massacre of the In Su Group?  They found one guy still alive but all he managed to say was Red Demon before he died."

Woohyun seemed slightly amused.  "You believe one person can wipe out the In Su Group in one night?" asked wohyun.

"You should be careful," warned Dongwoo.  "You're always wandering off by yourself at night.  You might run into this Red Demon.  If you do, I suggest you run as fast as you can."

"I can take care of myself," replied Woohyun.  "Besides, I don't believe in rumours."


Woohyun passed by the church and saw Father Sunggyu sitting on a bench as he watched the children play in the yard outside the orphanage next door.  Woohyun smiled when he saw that Father Sunggyu was alright but his smile disappeared when he noticed Sungjong sitting next to him.  He wasn't sure if it was envy or jealousy that made him dislike Sungjong.  He breathed a sigh of disappointment as he turned away, not noticing that Father Sunggyu was watching him leave.


Declining to hang out with Dongwoo at the club that night, Woohyun headed for his apartment.  As he neared it, a black luxury car with tinted windows pulled up beside him.  A man in a suit stepped out from the driver's side.

"The boss would like to talk to you," informed the man as he nodded towards the car.

Woohyun sighed before opening the back seat door and sitting inside.


It was after midnight when the group of men surrounded him with machetes.  He stood ready with a sword in his hand.  Both sides clashed.  They were no match for him as his blade struck them.  He raised his sword to finsh them off but he failed to notice one man behind him.  The man struck his machete across his back.  Not deep enough to cut his skin but just enough to reveal it.

"Red...Demon..." said the man as he stepped back, eyes wide in shock.

He turned to glare at the man, slitting his throat before he could utter another word.