Temptation of the Devil - Chapter 13

Temptation of the Devil

The sword cut a diagonal line across the back Sunggyu's black robe, revealing an angry red demon face tattoo sprawled across his back.

"Red Demon," said Hoya.

Sunggyu turned to face him as Woohyun caught sight of the tattoo on Sunggyu's back.  The rumoured Red Demon was the man standing before him.

"I told you," said Sunggyu glaring at Hoya.  "You have no idea what you are talking about."

Hoya was startled at the face that stared at him.  Eyes narrowed in a menacing glare.  So different from the eyes of a priest moments ago.  Hoya stepped back.  "Kill them!' he ordered.

Myungsoo broke free from his ropes and grabbed the guns from the two men that were aiming him and fired at them in return.  He fired at the group of men as he covered for Sunggyu and Woohyun.  Sunggyu pulled Woohyun with him as they took cover.

"Don't let go of my hand," Sunggyu told him as he held Woohyun's hand.

Woohyun could only nod, still trying to comprehend what he just saw.  Sunggyu noticed the dejected look on Woohyun's face.

"Are you disappointed that I'm not the man you thought I was?" asked Sunggyu.

Woohyun looked at him.  "No," he replied.  "I-"
 
A gun battle ensued until Myungsoo ran out of bullets.  A tsk escaped his lips before he threw the guns away.

"Useless," he said as he ducked for cover.

Seeing them unarmed, Hoya charged towards them with his sword.

"Catch!" shouted a voice.

Sunggyu and Myungsoo looked at the direction of the voice to see two swords thrown their way.  They both caught their own swords.  They discarded their black robes and white collar to just basic black clothing underneath.

"Does this mean, we're going to stop this facade?" asked Sungyeol, looking pleased.

"What took you so long?" asked Myungsoo, unsheathing his sword.

"I was shot you know," retorted Sungyeol.  "And next time, don't hide your sword in places I can't find.  How did you manage to hide it so high up anyway?"

Hoya looked at the three men, all seemed capable by the way they were holding their swords.  "Who are you people?" he asked them, taking a defensive stance.

"I believe you call us, Red Demon," said Myungsoo with a smirk.

"Hitmen.  It makes sense if there are three of you.  How easy it would have been for you to massacre the In Su Group in one night," said Hoya.  "How much did the Kang Dae Group pay you to wipe out their enemies and why are you protecting him?"  He indicated to Woohyun.

"We're not bodyguards.  We don't protect," corrected Myungsoo.

"Then why masquerade as priests at an orphan-" Hoya paused as realisation hit him.  He cast his mind back to the children at the orphanage.  Their faces were familiar.  He smiled.  "How very clever," said Hoya.  "Those children.  No one would ever suspect that the ones responsible for the murder of their families are the very men looking after them.  What is it for?  Redemption?"

Woohyun was startled at this revelation as he looked at Sunggyu who didn't say a word.

Unbeknownst to them all, a figure had heard everything as he stood outside, listening, with silent tears strolling down his cheeks.