Temptation of the Devil - Chapter 3

Temptation of the Devil

Father Sunggyu was walking back from the grocery shopping when he suddenly found himself surrounded by the same group of youths he had met earlier at the park.  He noticed they were all armed with metal poles.  The last thing he saw was the smirk on the leader's face, before he was struck on the back of the head and knocked unconscious.


Woohyun ran, heading for the church, hoping to find Father Sunggyu along the way.  He wondered why he was getting so worked up over a man he was wanting to punch just yesterday.  He stopped when he noticed the two plastic bags of groceries in the middle of the street.  The church wasn't far ahead.  He knew he was too late.


Woohyun searched the streets and alleys until he saw the group of guys laughing as they walked by.  He ran up to them.

"The priest, where is he?" demanded Woohyun grabbing the leader of the group by the collar.

"What's with you, man?" asked the leader, pushing his hands away.  "Why are you so holy now?"

"Where is he?" Woohyun repeated firmly.


The large doors to the abandoned warehouse opened as Woohyun entered to find Father Sunggyu unconscious on the ground.  His hands and feet were bound by rope.  Woohyun rushed to his side to untie him and that was when he noticed the blood on the back of his head.  His heart raced as panic kicked in.

"Hey, wake up!" Woohyun shook him gently, begging him to wake up.  "Please, wake up."

"I will, if you stop shaking me," came the reply.

Woohyun sighed with relief to see Father Sunggyu's eyes opening as he got up.  The blow to the back of his head made him slightly dizzy.  He felt Woohyun's arms holding onto him, trying to steady him.

"We need to get you to the hospital," said Woohyun.

"The church is close by.  We have a doctor who does house calls.  I can manage," said Father Sunggyu, breaking free from the hold.

Woohyun grabbed his arms, refusing to let go.  "Why do you hate me so much?" he asked, almost angrily.

Father Sunggyu looked at him, surprised by his directness.  "I don't hate you," he replied.

"Then why are you treating me like this?" asked Woohyun.  "Since the first time we met in that church you've acted like you hated me or something, but I saw you today, smiling and laughing with those kids.  Why am I the only one that gets treated this way?"

Father Sunggyu didn't know what to say.

"I don't care if you hate me, I'm not letting you walk by yourself," said Woohyun sternly.  "Get on, I'll carry you."  He offered his back Father Sunggyu who was taken aback by Woohyun's words.


Woohyun walked along the deserted street with Father Sunggyu on his back.  Neither spoke a word.  Woohyun suddenly felt Father Sunggyu's arms encircled him as his head rested against the crook of his neck.  He turned his head slightly to find that Father Sunggyu had drifted off with his eyes closed.


They were greeted at the door of the entrance of the church by Father Myungsoo who looked at them both with raised eyebrows.

"Well, this is a first," he commented, seeing the unconscious Father Sunggyu on Woohyun's back.