Temptation of the Devil - Chapter 12

Temptation of the Devil

Sungyeol walked towards the sofa where Woohyun lay.  Noticing that Woohyun was still unconscious, Sungyeol walked upstairs to his room to treat his own wound.

Awhile later, Woohyun regained consciousness.  He tried to remember what had happened before the effects of the sleeping drugs took over.  He was on his way rushing to the church when he had bumped into Sungyeol.  He must have passed out then.
 
Sungyeol was upstairs when he heard the front door slammed shut.
"Just great!" he exclaimed in the middle of extracting the bullet from his shoulder.
 

Father Sunggyu and Father Myungsoo found themselves bound and held at gunpoint in an old building.  They were surrounded by many of the Chul Moo members.

"I wonder, how did priests like you two get involved with the Red Demon?" asked Hoya.

His question surprised the two priests as they turned to look at him in confusion.

"Red Demon?' asked Father Sunggyu.  "What are you talking about?"

"And to think I thought he would be an easy target to force the Kang Dae Group into submission.  Who knew that he was the Red Demon."

"You have no idea what you're talking about," retorted Father Sunggyu.  "Woohyun is not a killer."

Hoya knew he was not mistaken.  Every man he sent after him were all found dead the next day.  He had every reason to believe Woohyun was responsible.

"Let them go," said a voice.

They all turned to find Woohyun at the entrance.  Hoya immediately pulled out his sword and placed it at Father Sunggyu's neck.  Dongwoo pointed his gun at Woohyun.

"Idiot, what are you doing here?" asked Father Sunggyu.

Woohyun smiled at him.  "I came to save you, Father," he replied.

You and what army? thought Father Myungsoo.

Woohyun looked at Hoya.  "You just wanted me, right?  Here I am, so let them go.  They have nothing to do with any of this."

Hoya pressed the blade deeper against Father Sunggyu's neck.  He smiled with delight when he saw Woohyun flinch.

"I see I have an ace in my hand," said Hoya, knowing exactly what Woohyun's weakness was.

"What do you want?" asked Woohyun.

"You, dead," replied Hoya.  "Once you die, the Kang Dae Group will be easily crushed.  We will have no other threats, thanks to you for wiping out every other clan that was in the way.  That's how the Kang Dae Group ensured their rule, isn't it?"

Woohyun seemed puzzled but didn't question him further.  All he wanted was to ensure Father Sunggyu's safety.

"If my death will end all this, then do it," said Woohyun.

Hoya smiled.  "Gladly," he replied as he appraoched him.

Woohyun stood with his arms by his side.  He turned his head to look at Father Sunggyu.

"I meant what I said in that confession box," said Woohyun with a smile.

"Woohyun, please don't do this!" pleaded Father Sunggyu.

"Goodbye," said Woohyun as he closed his eyes and waited.

Father Sunggyu turned to look at Father Myungsoo.  "I can't do this anymore," he told Father Myungsoo.  "I don't want to lose him."

Father Myungsoo sighed as he closed his eyes and nodded.

Hoya raised his sword and smiled as he struck the sword down at Woohyun.
 
Instead of feeling the cold steel against his skin, Woohyun felt warm arms embracing him.  He opened his eyes to find himself face to face with Father Sunggyu who was shielding him with his body.

"If you love me, why would you want to leave me?" asked Father Sunggyu.

"Father Sunggyu-"

Woohyun caught sight of Hoya standing behind Father Sunggyu with the blood stained sword in his hand.

Hoya was frozen in shock.  He was not expecting the priest to break free from the ropes.  He was not expecting the priest to run in and shield Woohyun.  And he was not expecting to see the mark of the devil on his back.