Temptation of the Devil - Chapter 17

Temptation of the Devil

Woohyun opened his eyes and found himself on the roof top of a building.  He peered over the edge.  It was a long way down.  He slowly stood up and stepped away from the edge, only to see Sungjong with a gun, pointing at him.

"Sungjong, what are you doing?" asked Woohyun, surprised.

"Stay where you are!" ordered Sungjong with his finger on the trigger.

Woohyun remained where he was.  "What's going on?  Where did you get that?" asked Woohyun.

Before Sungjong could respond, the door leading out to the roof top opened and Sunggyu appeared.  Sunggyu saw Sungjong with the gun pointed at Woohyun.  He immediately ran over to Woohyun and stood in front of him, covering him.

"Sunggyu?" said Woohyun.

"I knew you would come," Sungjong told Sunggyu.  "It seems that even a cold blooded killer like you have a weakness after all."

Upong hearing those words Sunggyu knew that Sungjong had found out what he had been trying to hide.

"I should have known," continued Sungjong.  "When I arrived to find my whole family killed and you offered to take me in, I thought you were my saviour.  I trusted you, but you're a liar." There were tears in his eyes.  "I must avenge for the In Su Group."  He raised the gun and aimed at Sunggyu.

"Sungjong!  Stop!" shouted Woohyun as he stepped to stand in front of Sunggyu.

"Woohyun, get behind me!" demanded Sunggyu, trying to pull him back.

Woohyun ignored Sunggyu and remained in front.  "No!  You're wrong," said Woohyun, trying to reason with Sungjong.  "The one who ordered the killing was the Kang Dae Group, so if you want revenge then kill me."

"Woohyun, what are you saying?" said Sunggyu pulling him by the arm.

"The leader of the Kang Dae Group...is my father," confessed Woohyun.

Both Sunggyu and Sungjong looked at him in shock.

"Woohyun!  Stop this!" said Sunggyu.

"What makes you think I would believe you?' Sungjong asked Woohyun.  "You just want to protect him."  He looked over to Sunggyu.

Woohyun shook his head.  "No," said Woohyun.  "Why do you think the Chul Moo Group were after me?  They found out who I was and thought I would make a good bargaining chip to make my father surrender."

"Don't listen to him!" said Sunggyu.  "I'm the one who killed your family."

"No," protested Woohyun.

Sungjong couldn't decide who to shoot as he watched Sunggyu and Woohyun both willing to take the blame.  

Finally he aimed the gun at Sunggyu.  "I won't forgive the one who killed my family," Sungjong declared as he pulled the trigger.

"Sunggyu!" Woohyun shouted as he pushed Sunggyu out of the path of the bullet.

Surprised by Woohyun's action, Sunggyu tried to intercept the bullet, but it was already too late.  He watched in horror as the blood trickled down the side of Woohyun's head.

"Woohyun!" cried Sunggyu.  He ran over to Woohyun and caught him as Woohyun collapsed to the ground.  "No!" shouted Sunggyu.  "It's okay, you're to be going to be okay."  Sunggyu tried to convince himself as he cradled Woohyun in his arms.

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu and smiled before closing his eyes.

"No!" shouted Sunggyu.  "Don't do this to me!"  

Myungsoo and Sungyeol arrived to find Sungjong frozen in fear at what he had done.  Myungsoo noticed the gun in his hand and took it from him.  Sungjong didn't even budge as he looked in disbelief at the sight of Woohyun covered in blood.

Myungsoo and Sungyeol looked over to the edge and saw Sunggyu in tears, holding a bloodied Woohyun in his arms.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

Next chapter will be the end.