Temptation of the Devil - Chapter 5

Temptation of the Devil

Woohyun was on his way to meet Dongwoo for their usual morning coffee when he was cornered by his group of friends.

"Hey, what's up with you these days?" asked the leader.  "Always hanging around that church? Got something fun going on that you're not telling us?  Should we join in too?"

Woohyun glared at him.  "Just leave them alone," said Woohyun.

"Or what?" asked the leader.  "What are you gonna do?"

Woohyun didn't respond.

"I think we'll go pay them a visit right now," said the leader as the guys all cheered.

"Don't you dare!" threatened Woohyun.

The leader stopped and tunred back to face him.  "Who's going to stop me?"


Woohyun ran through the streets and turned into an alley to catch his breath.  He leaned against the wall and slumped to the ground.  What was he doing all this for?  Now the ones he called friends were after him.  He had messed up.

He heard footsteps.  He looked to see Father Sunggyu walking by.  He stopped to look at Woohyun, noticing his bruises and bleeding lip.

I won't ask for your help, thought Woohyun.  Just get out of here.

Father Sunggyu didn't say a word as he continued to walk on.

Woohyun laughed bitterly.  What a cruel man, thought Woohyun.

He heard them call his name as they approached closer.  He didn't see the point in running anymore.  He didn't want to run.  He lowered his head and waited.

"You're a dead man, Woohyun!" He could hear the leader's voice shouting.  "You dare punch me?"

Suddenly he felt someone pull him up and draped his arm over their shoulder.  He looked up, surprised to find the face of the man he thought to be cruel.

"Do you want to be a dead man?" asked Father Sunggyu.

"Don't bother yourself with me," said Woohyun.

"Just repaying a debt," replied Father Sunggyu.  


Woohyun arrived back at his apartment to find the whole place had been trashed.  The furniture was smashed, broken glass covered the floor and death threats sprawled on the walls.  He knew exactly who was responsible.

Just as he took a  step inside, he felt a hand on his shoulder, stopping him.  He turned to see Father Sunggyu.

"You can't stay here," said Father Sunggyu.

"It's fine," replied Woohyun.  "I have nowhere else to go anyway."

"Come," said Father Sunggyu grabbing his hand and pulling him along.

Woohyun was startled but he let himself be led away.


Woohyun found himself at the door of a room, inside the orphanage.

"You can stay here," Father Sunggyu told him.

"But..." Woohyun didn't know what to say.  He clearly remembered being told not to come here for being a burden, yet here he was, dragged here by the very same man who told him that.


Father Myungsoo stood by the entrance of the orphanage as he waited for Father Sunggyu to walk by.

"If I remember correctly, someone said that he was a burden," commented Father Myungsoo.

"Just shut it!" said Father Sunggyu as he walked out.

Father Myungsoo smiled.  "I beg your pardon, Father Sunggyu," he said.