Chapter 6 : Family

Nothing's Over

 

“Please write you name here and all the members of your crew. Also the courses and college they study in.”

Hoya and Dongwoo nodded before taking one of the tables in the cafe to fill up the admission form. Hoya was absorbedly filling the form when he noticed Dongwoo looking at someone.

Hoya followed his gaze and saw that he was looking at Sungjong who was eating with some of his friends at one of the tables. When he looked back at Dongwoo the older gestured for him to call Sungjong.

“Why me?”

“Because you’re close. Go.”

Hoya exhaled slowly before making his way to Sungjong.

Dongwoo only laughed at Hoya before he continued filling the form. He saw that the members’ space was empty besides his name and Hoya. Dongwoo suddenly smiled to himself before he wrote Sunggyu and Woohyun in the empty spaces.

“Those two need to spend some time together,” he muttered to himself.

A moment later Hoya was back with Sungjong by his side.

“Are you in?” Dongwoo raised his brows.

Sungjong looked at Hoya then at Dongwoo. He nodded.

Hoya was instantly happy that he hugged the younger with all his might. Sungjong was struggling with the tight hug and looked like he couldn’t breathe.

“Well, I put in Sunggyu hyung and Woohyun’s name. I think they’re good dancers too although may not be the best. Don’t worry, you can train them. And are Sungyeol and Myungsoo in?”

Hoya nodded. “They said they’re okay with it.”

“So... When is the training?” Sungjong finally spoke.

Dongwoo looked at Hoya. Since he was the dance machine after all.

“We have to train every night. Since the competition is in 2 weeks.”

Dongwoo nodded. “I’ll tell Sunggyu hyung and Woohyun.”

“I’ll tell Myungsoo hyung.” Said Sungjong.

“Leave my brother to me.” Hoya ended the conversation at the cafe.

 

 

Sunggyu woke up with a jolt when he felt something vibrated in his hand. He cussed before answering the phone call.

“Yes, Dongwoo?”

He realized that he was still at Woohyun’s secret hideout. The latter was still sleeping soundly beside him on the grass but his position had changed. Woohyun had turn to his left and had his arm over his face.

Sunggyu was suddenly aware that the sun was not shining so bright like before.

“Hyung, I got to tell you something...”

“Dongwoo, what time is it?!” he screamed.

“It’s... almost 6. Why?”

“! I’ll call you later, Dongwoo.” Sunggyu ended the phone call before waiting for Dongwoo’s answer.

They had overslept. He should have never slept in the first place. His class and Woohyun had ended almost an hour ago. He pulled Woohyun’s arm and forced him to wake up.

“What?” Woohyun asked groggily.

“It’s almost six, Woohyun-ah.”

Woohyun instantly got to his feet. “My class!”

“Too late. You should be worried about your dad now.”

Sunggyu got to his four and exited the place the same way he had entered. Woohyun did the same.

“He’s going to kill me. He’s going to kill me. He’s going to kill me. Arghh!”

They were on their way to Woohyun’s house. The sky was dark and by the time they had reached Woohyun’s house, the neighbourhood was in pitch black expect from the lights from the houses along the street.

“I’m sorry...”

“It’s not your fault. I guess even fate wants you to come to my house, huh?”

Woohyun laughed. Sunggyu stood quiet.

His laughs soon died down. “You’ll see me with bruises tomorrow, Sunggyu.” He added before starting yet another fits of laughs.

Sunggyu knew the younger was trying to kill the tension in his heart by laughing. He felt a sudden impulse to lessen his nervousness.

His right hand slowly touched Woohyun’s left hand.

Woohyun stopped laughing altogether and looked at Sunggyu’s hand entwined with his. He ran his gaze to Sunggyu.

“I’m here,” Sunggyu said, tightening his grip.

Woohyun nodded slowly.

“NAM WOOHYUN!”

A voice bellowed from the direction of Woohyun’s front door. His father was standing by the door, seething with anger. In his hand was what seemed like a cane.

Woohyun took a few steps back in fear. It was the first time Sunggyu saw Woohyun’s terrified expression.

“Come here you worthless son! How dare you skip class!”

“Dad, I...” Woohyun let go of Sunggyu’s hand.

“You teacher called me because she was worried. Where were you, huh? Where did you go?”

“He was with me sir.” Sunggyu took a step forward.

Woohyun pulled him roughly by the arm. “What are you doing?” He whispered.

“Saving you.” He whispered back. Sunggyu yanked his arm from Woohyun.

“I ask him to help me with some subjects. We didn’t realize how quick the time flies. If you want to punish someone, it should be me. I am fully responsible for him skipping class.”

Woohyun grabbed his shoulder again. “! You’re going to kill yourself!”

“I thought you said you don’t have friends,” His father spoke suddenly. He walked towards Woohyun and Sunggyu and stopped in front of them.

Sunggyu silently took Woohyun’s hand again behind them so the adult in front of them wouldn’t notice. Woohyun returned the grip.

Deep down, he was glad to have someone with him at times like this.

“What’s your name?” He lift Sunggyu’s chin with the tip of his cane. Sunggyu looked at him a second before looking back on the ground.

“Kim Sunggyu.”

“Kim Sunggyu, I acknowledge that you’re trying to protect my son but I know what’s best for him. You may leave.”

However he stood rooted to the ground, his grip on Woohyun’s hand still strong.

“What are you?” the adult hissed with clenched teeth.

“He’s my friend.”

Sunggyu was startled with Woohyun’s sudden bravery to his father’s question. Even his father looked shocked.

“For the first time, I actually have a friend dad. And you can’t tell me who I can and cannot be friend with anymore.”

Sunggyu saw the adult’s grip on the cane tensed. Before he knows it, the adult had pushed him away from Woohyun and was lunging on his son.

Sunggyu didn’t know how he had the guts to do what he did. But on a sudden impulse, he stood between Woohyun and his enraged father. He saw the cane lifted above his head and only managed to use his left arm as a shield to protect his face before he felt a slicing pain on his left arm.

Woohyun stumbled to the ground as Sunggyu’s body hit him. He heard Sunggyu’s hiss of pain and he quickly sprang to his side. On Sunggyu’s arm was a long cut from his pulse to almost to his elbow. The force from the cane must be so strong that it left a slash mark on the latter’s arm.

Some part of the cut was oozing blood.

Sunggyu pulled his throbbing arm to his body to ease the pain but wasn’t able to stop the tears from forming at the corner of his eyes. His white shirt was already stained with red marks.

“Sunggyu!”

“I’m... I’m okay,” He breathed.

“No you’re not. Come on, I’ll bring you to my room.”

Woohyun lifted the older slowly before they made their way into his house. When they went pass his father, Woohyun looked at him straight in the eye.

Sunggyu’s action had somehow given him the courage to do what he had always wanted to do. 

 

next, what happens when kiseop did the unthinkable?