Chapter 5: A Late Introduction

Nothing's Over

 

“So if I be your tutor for a week you’ll stay away from my house?” said Woohyun.

Sunggyu nodded.

“Deal. So what do you want me to teach you?”

“Pretty much everything.”

“This is going to be hard work.” Woohyun shook his head and Sunggyu only replied with a laugh. He was enjoying the younger’s sufferings.

“Okay, let’s set a schedule. Today I’ll teach you anatomy. Tomorrow...”

“Woohyun-shii.” Woohyun and Sunggyu turned towards the direction of the voice. Professor Kim walked towards them. Woohyun and Sunggyu bowed their head at the professor.

“Here’s your paper. I wanted to give you this beforehand because your result was good. You’re one of my best students and I hope you can keep up your excellent performance.”

Woohyun took the paper from his hand and nodded before the professor left to do some of his work.

“Whoa. An A! Congrats,” said Sunggyu.

“I’m dead.”

“Why?”

“My dad’s going to kill me. An A is not acceptable. It has to be an A+.”

“An A is still A, you know? You should tell him that.”

“And end up like my sister. No way! I’m sorry Sunggyu, but I don’t fell like doing any class today. Maybe tomorrow.”

Sunggyu watched Woohyun as he walked away with his head hung down. He suddenly understands why Woohyun was a genius, because he was pressured by his father. His last visit to Woohyun’s house proved his theory. And his sister? What happened to his sister? Sunggyu had wondered.

Ever since he went to Woohyun’s house all he could think about was him. Maybe because of his attitude towards Sunggyu or his negativity towards him, Sunggyu wasn’t sure. But the latter had attracted him in a way he was not sure how. Before Sunggyu even realized it, his legs had made their way to Woohyun.

Woohyun seemed startled to see Sunggyu by his side. “What are you doing?”

“They said if you’re sad you should be with you friends. It’ll ease the pain.” Sunggyu wasn’t sure what crap was he talking about.

“I’m not sad.” Woohyun suddenly laugh. “And what garbage are you saying?”

Sunggyu stopped walking instantly. Woohyun also stopped and turned to look at him. “You’re not sad?”

“It’s more of a scared then sad.” Woohyun looked at his watch. “I have two hours before my class starts. Wanna have a drink? There a special menu at the cafe only for today.”

Sunggyu smiled. “Sure.”

“My father... his dream was to see his children get the best result they can. But one day my sister failed to get an A in one of the major exams and my father beat her up. But her results didn’t improve after that. It led to another beating. A few days later, she... killed herself.” Woohyun looked at Sunggyu before he continued.  

“That was 2 years ago. My mother ran away from home because she couldn’t live in the house anymore after that. That leaves me and him. And also Amma. She came in the evening and left in the midnight. She took care of the house chores since we didn’t have time to do it.”

“That’s why you studied so hard?”

Woohyun nodded. “So, you know my life story now. What are you going to do about it?”

“What do you mean what I am going to do about it?”

“So you’ll keep it then? Don’t tell your friend or any of you girlfriends if that matters. I don’t know why I’m telling you all of this exactly but I feel like if I didn’t, you’re going to keep coming back to my house.”

“Okay. I won’t then.” Sunggyu stirred the orange juice in the glass. He looked lost in thoughts. After hearing Woohyun’s story, he felt like he wanted to know more about him.

“So what’s your life story?”

“There are exactly two versions. One, the version that everyone know about. Two, the real version. Which one do you want to hear?”

“The second one.”

“My parents are currently overseas to handle their business. I’m the only child so you can see that I’m spoiled. I’m rich. What else?”

“Figures,” Woohyun muttered. He knew Sunggyu was going to be like this.

“But they didn’t know that I know I’m adopted. And my dad doesn’t know my mother is having an affair and she also doesn’t know that my father is having an affair with his secretary. So I figured that pretty much explained my family life in a few sentences.” Sunggyu smiled.

“I’m... sorry.”

“Don’t be. It’s better if people don’t know, Woohyun. I don’t want anybody’s sympathy. Argh, even thinking about them make my head hurts!”

Woohyun suddenly felt guilty. He had made Sunggyu talked about his family life that he didn’t want to remember. He thought his life was bad but Sunggyu’s actually was worse. Sunggyu the Casanova that everyone knew actually have a broken family. Woohyun suddenly stood up and took Sunggyu by surprised. He suddenly yanked Sunggyu’s hand and pulled him out of the cafe.

“Where... Where are you taking me?” he yelled. He managed to grab his bag before Woohyun suddenly hauled him to his feet and they were running across the park in front of the college. When Woohyun finally stopped and let go of his hand, Sunggyu realized that there was no one around but them.

“Where are we?” It was a place that Sunggyu was unfamiliar. He thought that they only ran like a few hundred metres away from the park but where they are now was nowhere he had been. He turned to Woohyun to demand an answer but the latter was walking towards a section between two big trees.

Woohyun suddenly was on his four and started to crawl through the big bushes between the two trunks and then he was gone. A part of Sunggyu wanted to leave but another told him that he should follow Woohyun. He decided to follow the younger because he knew Woohyun wouldn’t bring him there for no reason at all.

So Sunggyu got on his four and crawled through the big bushes only to get his head hit something hard. He fell to his knees and cried. “Ow! That hurts!”

He heard someone laugh. Sunggyu removed his hands from his head and saw Woohyun standing over him. He looked up, above him and saw a big branch protruding out from one of the trees. “You should have told me about that!” He scowled.

“Why should I?” Woohyun answered but offered his hand to Sunggyu.

Sunggyu took it and got to his feet. “Where the hell are we?”

“My secret hideout. I go here when I got sick of the world.”

Sunggyu walked past Woohyun and looked around the place. The place was well surrounded by big trees. And because the trees branched onto each other, it had blocked any kind of view of the place from the outside. It had become some sort of a barrier.

Sunggyu saw the small lake in the middle and was instantly mesmerized. The trees must have been protecting the lake.  “A lake? Have you ever tried swimming in it?”

Woohyun looked at him oddly. “No, but I know it’s safe.”

It suddenly hit Sunggyu that Woohyun could be the only one in the college that know about this place. And it was a place from him to escape from everyone. But now that he knew about the place, it wouldn’t be so secret anymore. And to think that Woohyun actually brought him here, Woohyun must have considered him more than a friend. A best friend maybe?

He turned to face Woohyun but the younger was already taking a nap on the soft, green grasses. He had his arm over his eyes to cover from the sunlight. Sunggyu didn’t know how long had he been staring at the unconscious Woohyun but it was long enough for him to realize that he may had fallen for him.

Sunggyu went to sit beside Woohyun and rested his head on the grass. He heard Woohyun breathing and closed his eyes. It had become his lullaby.

 

 

Sungyeol was tapping his fingers on the stering whan he saw Myungsoo walked through the door of the cafe he was working in. He had informed Myungsoo that he was going to pick him up from work that day. Myungsoo only answered with a “yea.”

Sungyeol had planned to talk about Kiseop that day. Since his visit to Myungsoo’s place yesterday, Sungyeol had been having doubts if Myungsoo really didn’t have anything going on with Kiseop. He knew that Myungsoo rarely let anyone enter the apartment so when someone actually did, Sungyeol knew he should be worried.

A smile crept on his face when he saw Myungsoo waving at him. But then the smile died when he saw the person that appeared behind him. Kiseop was pulling on Myungsoo’s bag and Myungsoo hit the latter lightly on his shoulder. Sungyeol didn’t miss the smiles on both faces.

Sungyeol got out from his car and called Myungsoo. Myungsoo quickly stopped playing with Kiseop. He nodded to Sungyeol before looking back at Kiseop. Kiseop was also looking at Sungyeol.

“You’re back together?”

Myungsoo nodded. “Yea, yesterday. So, I’ll see you at music class tomorrow, okay?”

Kiseop nodded and waved him goodbye. His eyes met with Sungyeol’s. Sungyeol smiled slightly and he replied with a smile and a nod. Kiseop walked away with regret in his heart.

 

please comment and subscribe, guys.