Serendipity

New Beginnings

It’s a calm, cool night; Minwoo and Camila sit in the back of a restaurant, away from most people. An awkward silence falls between them as they sit across from each. This is the first time they have seen each other in over a month. Although they had a hard time deciding on when to meet, Minwoo is happy Camila agreed to have dinner. They have been making small talk but he can see she feels awkward. 


Minwoo breaks the silence “So what do you think about coming to the concert next weekend? I would love for you to see me at work.” He smiles at her.


She tucks her hair behind her ear and nods slowly. “Yeah, I would love that.” She avoids looking directly at him “But I’m sure there are no tickets left, the concert is only a week away.” She suddenly looks at him straight in the eyes. 


The sudden eye contact makes Minwoo freeze, he wasn’t expecting that it takes him a few seconds to recover. “Don’t worry about that, I will send you the ticket no later than Wednesday. 


Camila looks at him worried “Are you sure that it's ok?”


He chuckles “of course, there are always a few extra tickets for special guests or the media.”


“Ahh,” she nods her head in understanding “ok, as long as it’s not too much trouble and it’s ok if they are in the back.”


He looks at her and can’t help but smile at how beautiful she looks. She is wearing a red dress that compliments her beautiful tan skin, her wavy hair is in a loose half braid. He is so happy to be here, even if she is really not making eye contact with him. 


Their food finally arrives and Camila squeals with happiness.

 
“You are that happy?” he laughs softly; she looks so cute. 


“Yes!” she smiles “It has been soooo long since I have had Mexican food.” she pauses “I hope you like it.”


He looks at all the food and smiles “I am sure I will but you ordered so much” he laughs 


Camila pouts “it’s only food I have really been craving.” she shrugs “it’s two of us anyway, I’m sure we will finish it.” She takes a big spoonful of rice, eating it joyfully. 


Minwoo is busy watching her act like her normal self he has forgotten about the food.


Camila looks up with full and catches him staring; her eyes go wide and blushes. 


She swallows her food “umm… you should eat before it gets cold.” She says quietly. She picks up her spoon again and begins taking smaller bites. 


Minwoo looks at her and realizes that she got embarrassed. He chuckles at her reaction. 


“I’m happy you are enjoying the food.” He takes a big spoonful and nods in satisfaction.

 
 Minwoo looks at her confused when he hears her trying to suppress her laughter


do I have something on my face? He thinks


“You looked like a chipmunk” she holds air in her cheeks showing him how big his cheeks looked.  


Minwoo swallows his food “a cute chipmunk, yes.” He smirks.


Camila rolls her eyes and laughs “sure, whatever you say.”


The air between them feels more relaxed as they eat. They are both occupied eating they hardly talk but this time the silence is not awkward, it's comfortable; like they have known each other for years. 


Camila puts her fork down and sighs “I’m so full” she smiles big “but it was so good.” She looks at him “did you enjoy it?"


He smiles wide and rubs his belly “Yes! It is the best Mexican food I have ever had.”


She nods satisfied with his answer. 


Minwoo looks at his watch, now that she looks more comfortable he doesn’t want the night to end. 


It’s 9:30, the restaurant is mostly empty now; surprising for a Friday night. Camila looks around and notices someone staring at them. She had forgotten who she was with, that he is not just a normal person but an idol. 


She clears “Ummm… we should go. It’s late and it seems someone has recognized you.”


Minwoo sighs sadly, Camila was finally comfortable and now this. He loves what he does and his fans but he hates that it makes Camila so uncomfortable. She is not used to this type of attention so he understands. The only thing he can do is expose her more to his world so she can slowly become comfortable. The concert is a great first step. 


“It’s ok but let’s go” he pauses “how about a cup of coffee?”


Camila thinks for a second then nods “that sounds great.” 


“I'll drive,” he says after they pay. “We can get coffee to go and find a place to walk outside.”


“Sounds good,” she says.


Minwoo opens the door for her and goes around to the driver’s side. 


Once inside, Minwoo sees that something has caught Camila’s attention. “You like it.” He says


Camila tries to hide a smile “my friends gave it to me so… yeah, I like it.” 


Minwoo looks at her confused “what do you mean? I found that charm in…”

“Odaesan national park?” she finishes his sentence. She laughs as she sees how confused he is. She turns the charm around there is a scratch that runs almost perfectly diagonally across and some initials and numbers 


“C.N Camila Navarro, that’s my full name.” She points to the small numbers “this is the date I move to Korea. I was really sad when I lost it.”


“What?! Seriously!” he shakes his head in disbelief. “Wow, we were in the same place at the same time. What are the chances?”  He reaches to remove the charm from the rearview mirror. 


She reaches and touches his hand stopping him “it’s ok you can keep it. It looks great there.”


“Are you sure? You said your friends gave it to you.” He looks at her seriously 


She smiles “I’m sure. Think of it as a gift” she laughs softly “even if though you have had it all this time.”


He looks at her. “Well thank you for the gift, I love it.  I will take good care of it.” It warms his heart that she wants him to have something that is so speical to her. 


“Good because it’s very special” she gives him a stern look. 


Minwoo sits up straight “yes, ma’am!” 


Camila laughs “Ok let’s go get coffee.”