Distance

New Beginnings

It’s late and the leaves shake as the cold wind passes through them. It’s April but the air is still cold sending chills through Camila’s body. She wraps the scarf around her neck more tightly and walks faster. It’s late and she can’t wait to get home and get into her warm and cozy bed. 

She walks looking down, the music coming from her headphones surrounding her. She is lost in the music until she feels she received a message. She takes her phone out and looks at the message, it’s from Minwoo. She puts the phone back in her pocket and keeps walking. 

Camila has kept her distance from him, she feels bad for doing so but for now, that’s what she thinks she needs to do. They haven’t known each other for long but it seems to her like they got close too fast. They went from meeting at the café accidentally to setting time to meet. She needs to settle her feelings and learn to see him as a friend again, she doesn’t want to ruin this friendship. He has already told her what their relationship was, just friends. She is glad to have someone to hang out with, it makes this experience so much better, she doesn’t feel as lonely. 

She is so lost in her thoughts that when she looks up and she notices she is at her apartment. She bows to the security and goes to walk up the stairs. As soon as she reaches her door she quickly opens the door, kicks off her shoes, and jumps on her bed snuggling under the warm cover. 

She takes her hand from under the covers and grabs her phone opening his message. 

    Hey! Haven’t heard from you in a while. Hope you are staying warm. 

Camila reads the message slowly trying to understand each word before seeking Papago’s help, her Korean has gotten better but she still has a long way to go. 

She smiles softly as she rereads the message. It is nice to have someone worry about you. It is hard for her to make friends so other than him there is only one other person she talks to here. 

What are you doing?! She says aloud to the empty room. You don’t have many friends here and you are pushing one of them away! This is just a crush it’s ok. They happen. She thinks. It doesn’t have to ruin this developing friendship.  

Although they have flirted, flirting doesn’t always mean something, sometimes it just fun. Camila’s friend encouraged her to just have fun and continue to flirt and enjoy his company as a man, that would be ok if Camila hadn’t developed a crush on him. Now flirting will not just be flirting and although it has been fun, things got out of hand for her and she must put a stop to it.

They are just friends; he has made it clear. She needs to respect that if not things could end badly. She picks up her phone, she should just answer him before things get weirder. If things are not already weird. 

    Hi, it’s been really busy. I’m fine. How are you?

She lays back in bed; it will be hard but it's better now that she just started having feelings for him. This is for the best, she is doing the right thing. Camila thinks of her friend’s offer to set her up on a blind date, it might not be a bad idea to set her energy somewhere else. She is not looking for a relationship but this might help her get over her crush. 

Camila sends her friend a text before she changes her mind.  

        Hey….about that blind date you wanted to set me up on…. ok…ill do it. 

Before she can put her phone down her phone down she receives a message from her friend.

YES!! I’m so glad you decided to go on it. I promise he is a great guy. Don’t feel pressure, if anything this can lead to making a new friend. BUT  I’m so excited for you two to meet. 

Camila rolls her eyes; yeah right, that is not what her friend had said when she was trying to convince Camila to go on this date. Either way, she is a bit nervous but excited to meet new people. 

She turns on her side and snuggles her cat plushie. Although it is a hard decision she is glad she finally decided what to do. It has been a long week, the exhaustion hitting her, her eyes slowly closing. 

Hear her phone rings making her stir in her sleep but not waking her.