Your Voice

New Beginnings

Minwoo finishes going over the new choreography and stands in front of the practice room mirrors. Sweat running down his face, he wipes it and gulps down a bottle of water. He lies on the floor with the towel over his face and he closes his eyes. 

When he closes his eyes he sees Camila on the swing smiling bright. He then sees her, her eyes red from crying,, he thinks about how upset she was and his heart gets heavy. He can’t imagine how she felt to be away from her family during her birthday. He is glad he could help her celebrate and make her smile, even if she dint know. 

He has been so busy he hasn’t had time to see her. He looks at his watch and sees that it is still early. He decides to call her to check up on her. 

He calls and he hears the ring and waits for her to answer. He is nervous, they haven’t talked in days. The waiting seems eternal; he sits up and leans against the mirror…waiting. Finally he hears her soft voice making his heart skip a beat immediately. He didn’t realize how much he missed hearing her voice. 

He clears his throat before answering “Hi. How are you?”

“Hi Mr. Lee I am doing well. How about you?” she sits up in her bed and turns off the tv.

For some reason he feels awkward and doesn’t really know what to say. There is a short silence and she breaks it “Mr. Lee?

“Sorry ...umm... I am fine just busy preparing for the album and concerts.”  he grabs another bottle of water and takes a long drink. 

“Ahhh… that must be exhausting. Make sure to take some time to take of yourself”  

“Of course, it’s just a really important year for us. We are celebrating our 20th anniversary” He says happily 

She can hear the smile in his voice and softly giggles. 

“What?”  He says confused

“Sorry “she clears “you just sounded really cute” 

His face blushes. “Cute?” She thinks I am cute he thinks and a wide smiles spreads across his face. He laughs” really? I am just really excited” 

She smiles and ignores his question “I am happy to hear that you love what you do. I am sure it makes all those long hours’ worth it” 

He lies back down, one hand behind his head. “Yeah, it’s all worth it. I wouldn’t have it any other way… Oh” he realizes that they have had a smooth conversation in Korean. “Wow! I almost forgot you didn’t speak Korean” 

She laughs “thank you” she says in her best accent. “I have been taking a class and going to meet ups” She pauses “I know I need to learn and it’s nice to keep busy”. 

“Well its working you are doing great”  he is proud of her hard work. He knows how hard it is to learn a new language.

“Thank you… ahjussi” a hint of laughter in her voice

“Hey… I am not that old” He can’t have the girl he is interested in calling him ahjussi, it makes him feel old. 

“You are older than me so…. “She tries to contain her laugh

He stutters “well…you… you… you can call me oppa” He thinks yeah that sounds better. 

“No, ahjussi sounds better” She can tell it’s getting to him and it just makes her want to mess with him more. 

“I won’t respond if you call me that.” He says trying to fake a stern voice 

“I will just have to say it louder for everyone to hear” she says in a taunting tone 

He is starting to see she if very stubborn and he will most likely not get his way. “Please” he starts pleading and trying to sound cute.” Pleaseee” he hopes he can convince her. He wants her to call him oppa instead of Mr. Lee or… he cringes… ahjussi.  

She can’t contain her laughter anymore and lies back on her bed laughing so hard her stomach starts to hurt. 

He shakes his head with a smile on his face; it’s so easy to talk to her, so comfortable, he loves that. “Fine, fine. Call me whatever you want” 

“Ok, you can’t change your mind later” She wipes the tears running down her face from laughing.  

He sits there hearing her laugh a soft smile on his face “I love to hear you laugh” he says softly. “I want to see you” he says abruptly. He almost said need to but is sure that would scare her. 

Those words make her blush and leave her speechless “I… ummm” she manages to say after a few moments of silence. 

He doesn’t realize he is holding his breath until he opens his mouth to speak again “When can I see you?”

She does want to see him; she can’t get him out of her mind. “How about Saturday?” she can feel her heart racing in her chest. She can still smell him and feel his warm embrace. He was there for her when she needed it the most; even if he doesn’t know what he did for her, she is extremely grateful to him.  

“Saturday night is perfect!” he can’t hide his excitement. He will have to move some things around but it doesn’t matter… he needs to see her. 

She exhales slowly trying to calm her heart “ok, see you then” she says softly

“Ok, see you soon” he waits until she hangs up. He stands up and runs around the practice room happily.