Misunderstandings

New Beginnings

Camila comes out in a pair of black jeans, black turtleneck, black boots and a dark green long coat; her hair carefully gathered in a loose braid. You would have never guessed that this girl who carries herself with so much confidence was the same one who a few minutes earlier was paralyzed with fear. 

Minwoo sees her and laughs softly. Camila approaches him and playfully punches him again. “Why are you laughing at me now?” 

“Ouch!” he laughs and rubs his arm “You look like you are going to go beat someone up” he looks at her intensely, all his senses taking her in completely. 

Camila raises one eyebrow and looks him up and down “maybe I am” she says and walks towards the door leaving him behind. 

Minwoo follows her with his eyes tilting his head slightly, noticing even through her coat, the way her hips sway. A playful smile crosses his lips and he shakes his head and laughs, he still has so much to learn about her. 

He catches up to her and takes her bag “come on, I am starving” 

They walk in silence to his car and he opens the door for her. She gets in and gives him a small bow as she gets in. 

He closes the door and goes around to get in.” ok, there is somewhere I want to take you if that is ok.”

She looks at him “yeah that is fine. I don’t know many places.” 

“I’m sure you will like it.” He says as he looks straight ahead. 

“As long as it’s not a surprise like this I am sure it will be fine.” She steals a glance at him. 

“I was going to take you sky diving next time but guess I will have to cancel it.” He says in a teasing tone.

“You can go sky diving if you want, I just won’t get anywhere near that.”  She says in a serious tone. 

He watches her from the corner of his eye and smiles.  “Ok, I will be nice and won’t scare you half to death next time. “

She turns to look at him “I would greatly appreciate that.” her face serious. 

He laughs “you are scary” she looks to cute and he knows she is not as upset as she wants him to believe which makes him laugh more. 

She bites her cheek to keep from laughing and shakes her head in disapproval; she turns to look out the window and smiles softly. 

The fear and the workout took a toll on her and she is now exhausted. As they drive in silence, her eyes begin to close, her last though how sore she is going to be tomorrow. 

He looks over at her and lightly places his hand over hers; he smiles as he feels her soft warm hand. .

Camila wakes up as they reach the restaurant. Minwoo looks at her and smiles “we are here” he pauses “but if you are tired I can take you home instead.” 

She shakes her head slowly “it’s ok. Sorry I fell asleep but I am ok now.” 

“Are you sure?” 

“Yeah, I’m sure. Let’s go, I’m starving now” she opens the door to get out. 

Minwoo gets out and goes towards her; they walk side by side, Minwoo walking close to her as he lets his fingers graze lightly against her hand. He wants to hold her hand but can’t find the courage to do it. She feels his touch and her heart skips a beat, like a lightning bolt something clicks inside of her…all of this is fun and she enjoys his company but she really cannot afford to like him, she cannot afford to have these feelings. 

Camila’s heart sinks as she reminds herself how different they are, how they are at different stages of their lives, how…how… how can someone like him be interested in her. She is misunderstanding his kindness for something else; she is reading his actions wrong. She needs to stop this before things go further. She puts her hands in her jean’s pocket. 

He is surprised and confused by her actions, he though she liked him… Did he do something wrong? did he read her wrong? 

He clears his throat “ummm… this restaurant was recommended by a friend…he…umm… he said the view is really great” 

“Ah…really?” she looks around “it looks pretty” She looks at him “should we go in?”

He smiles shyly “let’s go” 

They walk in and get seated at a table by the window. They are just in time to catch the sunset over the Han River. Camila looks out the window, forcing herself not to look at him. She knows if she does she will not be able to contain herself and she will want to reach for him. 

Minwoo sees the distant look in her eyes and softly says her name. She doesn’t hear him and he touches her arm. 

She looks at him “did you say something?” she moves her arm away. 

He points to the menu “ are you ready to order?” he looks at her trying to read her face and sees that she is avoiding his eyes. 

She takes the menu and starts reading “I’ll have this” she points to an item on the menu not paying attention to what she ordered. 

“Ok” He nods, still looking at her. They order the food and make small talk while they wait. He tries to catch her eyes but sees she is avoiding his gaze. 

“Is everything ok?” he asks her cautiously “did I pressure you to do something you didn’t want?” 

“Huh?” she finally looks at him “umm… no” she laughs nervously “I guess I am more tired than I thought” she lies avoiding his eyes, looking pass him.  

He looks at her “are you sure?” he catches her gaze “ you can tell me if you are upset with me. I want you to be comfortable with me. We are friends, aren’t we?” 

She feels her heart sink as she hears those words friends… of course that is all he sees her as… just as a friend. This is what she was looking for, a sign of what their relationship really is. She takes a sip of water and nods her head. ”Friends? … of course.”  She pauses “I’m fine, really” she looks away again. 

He doesn’t catch the disappointment in her eyes or in her voice and doesn’t realize the impact of his words.  Although he doesn’t completely believe her, he assumes she is homesick. After all he knows how hard it is to be away from family. It doesn’t cross his mind that it is much more than that. That he just put a distance between them.