Coffee Break

New Beginnings

The first 2 months in Seoul have not been easy. Learning new customs, a new language and her way around a new job has been pretty difficult. She din’t expect things to be easy but she was not prepared for such a culture shock. Hispanic, 5’1, wavy unruly hair and medium built she stands out like a sore thumb. Camila was not ready for the stares and whispers, for the unsolicited advice from her co-workers on how to dress or take care of her appearance. 

Even after all of that she still manages to find the good things about living in Seoul. Coffee and the many places she can go hiking and enjoy nature among them.  After a particularly long day at work she stops at her favorite coffee shop, Summer Moon. A small quiet coffee shop that makes her feel at home. She enters the shop and waits in line. She steps up to the counter and sees a new barista, with her broken Korean she manages to order an ice americano and a pastry. 

She looks down at her phone reading messages from her friends back home. She smiles softly and her heart feels lighter to know that she has a great circle of friends. The barista finally calls out her name and she goes to the counter to grab her drink. She looks around to see if there any empty tables to sit but doesn't see any. She goes up the stairs to the terrace and sees its pretty much empty expect for a man sitting in a corner table with an orange hoodie, jeans and boots. Sees that there is only one table that is in the shade and she walks towards it. The man looks up as she sits at the table next to him and Camila gives him a small bow.  She puts her headphones on and takes out her book. The evening is perfect, a soft cool breeze and the stillness of the terrace makes her look up at the sky and smile. 

Camila glances at the man next to her and cant help but notice his eyes. His bangs farming his face, he looks older yet there is an innocence and youthfulness about him. Her eyes slowly capturing every detail about his face. She looks up at his eyes again and is startled to see he caught her watching him, she blushes and bows apologetically  a few times. She gathers her things and stuffs them in her bag. As she stands the contents of her bag slip onto the floor, she curses under her breath and kneels down to pick them up. A hand stretches and hands her the book that fell. She looks up and finds herself starting straight into the man’s eyes. Her heart skips a beat as she looks into his eyes, into those kind eyes. The man is smiling at her making his eyes crinkle, she is loss in his eyes and doesn't hear the man speaking to her. He gently touches her shoulder and snaps her out of her thoughts. She grabs her bag and stands bowing and saying thank you. She walks towards the terrace door when she she feels a warm hand on her arm. 

Camila turns and sees the man. 

“Im sorry but you forgot your phone” the man softly says as he stretches his hand to give her the phone

“Oh, yes sorry. thank you” Camila manages to say 

“Its ok, umm.. I say you looking at me. I don't mind if you ask for an autograph or picture” He smiles at her warmly

“Excuse me?” Camila answers confused. “ Sorry but I don't really know who you are?” She say apologetic as she sees the man is embarrassed.  

He bows “ Sorry for assuming” looks at her attentively “ you just moved here dint you?… your Korean, well sorry to say its not the best” 

She laughs softly at the man’s bold attitude “ yes, you are right, I am an English teacher. Its hard to practice my Korean when everyone at the school wants me to speak to them in English”   

She stretches her hand to the man “ Hi my name is Camila” 

He smiles softly at her and takes her hand “ Hi my name is Lee Minwoo… from SHINHWA” he looks at her closely as he slowly speaks making sure to enunciate every syllable in his name “have you heard of us?”

“ Nice to meet you Lee Minwoo from SHINHWA. I am sorry but I have not” she says making sure to enunciate every syllable making him laugh. “ well Mr. Lee it was great meeting you but I have to run” 

He stops her and takes her phone “ if you need someone to practice your Korean with just give me a call” Minwoo says as he enters his number in her phone 

She blushes and takes her phone back “ I… will keep that in mind” she gives him a bow and walks down stairs fighting the urge to look back at him.

Minwoo stands at the top of the stairs watching her leave with a smile on his face.