What Are You Doing?

Troublesome

Taeyeon arrived in America, California and immediately called her mom and then she called Jessica. After the phone calls she travelled to her University where she was given a quick warm welcome and showed to her dorm where her room mate has scattered her stuff all over the place. 

“Sorry! I just got here yesterday and I haven’t sorted everything out! I’ll move my stuff now!” The blonde American girl apologizes moving her things.

She’s not beautiful but she’s pretty and her glasses make her seem like the smart type which is likely since not just anyone can get into this university. Until a few moments ago she was reading a book on her bed in her loose pyjama top and sweat pants. 

“Don’t worry it’s fine.” Taeyeon reassures and walks into the room placing her suit case. She looks over to her roommate who is bending down collecting clothes and is met with a full view of the other girl’s very s. 

No bra!? 

Taeyeon immediately looks away .

Foreigners really are... Big. 

Her roommate finishes moving her clothes then stands up ,”Sorry about that.” 

Taeyeon turns around and tries to look at the other girl’s face but is immediately met with a sudden hug, “Nice to meet you, I’m Nicky.” 

“I-I’m Taeyeon. Nice to meet you.” She stutters because of the contact and the friendly hug ends. 

“Taeyeon? Am I saying it right?” 

“Yeah that’s right.”

“You have an accent. Are you from... Korea?” She tries to guess 

Taeyeon smiles, “Yeah.”

“I knew it!” She says cheerfully ,”I’m actually from around here. Well originally so if you have questions you can ask.”

‘I want to show you around and take you to my favorite places.’ Taeyeon recalls the words Tiffany once told her 

“Thanks.”

“I heard yesterday that boys aren’t allowed in the dorm but if you bring someone over just let me know first.” She jokes 

Yeah boys... 

“I don’t think that will be a problem...”

Taeyeon looses concentration and ends up staring at Nicky’s s subtly protruding through her top. 

Nicky crosses her arms, “O-oh sorry are you? You know?”

Huh? What? 

“Am I?”

“Into girls?” she whispers 

Was it that obvious!? I just got here! 

“...um... I might be... kind of...”

“I don’t have a problem with it!” she tries to make Taeyeon feel comfortable, “I’ll just be more careful. Turn around I’ll put a bra on.”

“S-sorry.” Taeyeon turns around and she wants to slap herself in the face for being so obvious. 

Great now my roommate is going to be all uncomfortable... 


**** 


Taeyeon lies in her new bed. It’s late but Nicky is reading a magazine and Taeyeon is staring at the piece of paper Michelle gave her over a year ago. She took a picture in case it got lost but she never saved it on her phone because she would be too tempted to call. 

Should I phone her?

“Do you have a girlfriend?” Nicky suddenly asks 

I don’t know...

“You don’t have to... Worry or anything. There’s only one girl that I’m interested in.”

Nicky puts her magazine down, “Is she in Korea?”

Taeyeon can’t help noticing Tiffany’s picture on the front cover and she takes a deep breath, “Do you know Tiffany Hwang?”

She shows Taeyeon her magazine and points at the cover, “My magazine?” She stares at the cover, “I thought since I’m in college now I should try to be more feminine but I think it’s just not me. It must be nice to have it all. Money, fame, beauty. I wonder what she’s like in real life.”

“She’s...great...” Taeyeon says softly 


*Next day *


Tiffany wakes up to the sound of her cellphone ringing. 

“Hello...” She says half asleep 

“I hope you aren’t just waking up now. I’ll be there in 15 minutes to pick you up.” Sunny her manager hangs up 

“!” Tiffany moans and buries her head into her white toy dog, “Prince why didn’t you wake me up?”

Tiffany rushes to get ready not forgetting to put her diamond bracelet given by T. Y on. Her usual routine. She rushes down stairs where she sees her sister eating breakfast. She’s about to walk straight past to the door. 

“Wait you need to eat breakfast Tiff.”

Tiffany looks back, “I don’t have time. I’ll get Sunny to buy me something .”

“You used to be all play but now you’re all work. You’ve turned into dad.”

“Because I get it now. When you work you don’t have to think about other things and this isn’t like school. It’s actually things I enjoy.”

“It’s not healthy. When you aren’t working you’re getting drunk at those parties. You can’t keep this up. I’m concerned.”

“At least I’m not just lounging around all day! I’m surprised you haven’t been fired!” Tiffany turns around and heads for the door as she hears hooting 

“It’s dad’s company they can’t fire me!” Michelle shouts and Tiffany leaves the house. 

Michelle sighs, “You’re more like dad then you think Tiff. Working away all your feelings. Even Leo. Am I the only normal one?”


***


Nicky offered to take Taeyeon out since classes only start next week. After walking around she convinces Taeyeon to go ice skating with her. 

Taeyeon noticed that Tiffany was more popular than she thought. She saw posters when they were just walking around. Giving Taeyeon the impression that she really has changed because she isn't used to seeing her like this. 

I thought it was difficult for Asians to get popular in America... 

“Have you been before?” Nicky asks while Taeyeon is putting on her ice skates. 

Nicky wears contacts when she goes out and actually looks prettier than Taeyeon thought which some times distracts her. 

“Um...maybe once.”

“You should probably make those tighter.” She says and bends down to tighten Taeyeon’s skates. 

“Isn’t it kind of scary? I don’t want to fall.”

She laughs, “I’m not that great either. But I wanted to do something fun. It was either this or bowling.”

“We could have gone bowling!” Taeyeon complains and she laughs again. 

“Sorry. Next time but who knows you might end up loving ice skating.” She stands up and Taeyeon follows nervous about going on to the actual ring filled with people. 

They go in the ring and Taeyeon clings desperately at the railing .

“Come on Taeyeon!” She taunts while skating slowly beside Taeyeon 

“I thought you said you weren’t great!” Taeyeon complains seeing her skate effortlessly beside her  

“Sorry I lied.” She sticks out her tongue and Taeyeon laughs 

“I don’t go because ice skating !” Taeyeon teases 

“Just because you’re no good.”

Taeyeon sees an out of control amateur skater heading for Nicky’s path so she grabs the blonde’s hand and pulls her against her and the skater stumbles past. 

“I told you ice skating was dangerous.”

Nicky blushes, “Thanks.”


*** 


After the fun day they settle down in their new room and Taeyeon starts staring at Michelle’s number again . She’s still unsure whether Tiffany would be happy to see her or not. Taeyeon decides to check Tiffany’s social media which she hasn’t seen in a while. 

She checks the famous girl’s Instagram then has to slam her phone onto her bed after seeing a picture Tiffany took of her and some guy sitting with his arm around her. 

Bet she’s super happy with that guy! They look pretty close! 

“You were staring at that yesterday too.” Nicky comments on the piece of paper while she changes her clothes 

“Yeah... It’s just a number of someone I know in California.”

“Then why don’t you call?”

That’s the moment my expectations could get crushed 

“I will. I’m just preparing...”

“You know I always thought about experimenting.” Nicky says suddenly and Taeyeon almost chokes. 

“Oh... Like.. “

“With girls.”

That’s what I thought... 

“Is there a girl you’re interested in?” 

“I think I would be OK with you...”

WHAT? All of a sudden? Is this an American thing? 

“Oh... Um... I think you’re pretty and all but—“

Taeyeon was looking away while Nicky was changing but then all of a sudden the blonde sits on her lap in a black night gown. 

OK!? 

“You aren’t interested? I thought we had chemistry?” 

Taeyeon stares at Nicky’s yet again bra-less s. 

“Uhh....”

Nicky leans down and gives Taeyeon a Peck on the lips her bare s press against the black haired girl. Taeyeon has weak resolve when pretty girls come on to her. Nicky pulls back but Taeyeon pulls her back down and kisses her again pushing her tongue into the other girl’s mouth to make out. Nicky puts her arm around Taeyeon's neck and the black haired girl's hand drops down to her . 


Tiffany.... Tiffany... 


She grips Nicky’s nightgown and pulls back, “Sorry.”

“It’s fine you’re a good kisser.” She says breathlessly 

“No it’s just I’ll end up taking out my frustration on you.”

“I just want to know what it’s like.” 

“I think...  You should only do this with someone you love.”

She smiles, “You’re kind Taeyeon. People don’t think that way anymore.”

“They should...”

I have to see her and find out. It’s always going to be like this. 


*Next  day *


Michelle smiles widely at Taeyeon while they sit opposite each other in a cafe 

“What?” Taeyeon eventually says 

“Is that your natural hair color?”

“Yeah... I wanted to look more mature.”

Michelle can’t hold back a laugh ,”You still look like a kid.”

Taeyeon frowns 

“Don’t worry about it. You look... dreamy?” Michelle jokes and Taeyeon can’t help smiling, “So how long are you here for?”

“I’m studying here.... So it depends...”

If she wants to be with me or not 

Michelle takes a sip of her water, “Someone on your mind?”

Taeyeon blushes and looks away, “You know who’s on my mind.”

She smiles, “You still have the hots for my sister.”

The black haired girl pushes her hair back, “Y-Yeah... But she’s a model now. She’s far away again.”

“That girl.... You know her, always wanting to be the centre of attention. She’s even trying to convince me to do a reality show with her. What am I going to do with people following me around?”

“Is she happy?”

If she’s happy without me I guess that says it all. 

Michelle sighs, “Happy...I shouldn’t be the one to answer that Taeyeon.”


***


Tiffany arrives at her photo shoot and sees the figure of someone she does not want to see. 

She immediately turns around, “You didn’t tell me Zack would be here!” she whisper shouts to her manager Sunny. 

Sunny doesn’t know what the problem is, “You had your hands all over him up until recently.... Wait! Again Tiff!?”

“We’re going! Now!” Tiffany pushes Sunny to leave the room but it’s too late the tall toned model saw the brunette and walked over. 

“Tiff.” He says and she sighs and turns around. 

Zack has blue eyes and brown hair. He’s toned but not too buff and he has the type of look that young girls fall for. He’s been modelling for about a year so they see each other around. 

Tiffany grabs Zack’s hand and pulls him aside so they can talk, “Just to be clear we are not together.”

“I don’t get it you sit there flirting with me. We sleep together and now you’ve been ignoring me? One night stands give me better treatment and I wasn’t planning on it being a one night stand.” He complains 

“Just drop it Zack! That was weeks ago and we were both drunk!”

“Is this because of what happened?” He questions 

“Don’t you dare tell anyone about that.”

“Tae.” He says and Tiffany’s face goes bright red, “You called me Tae while we were —“

“Zack. I can’t be in a relationship with you.” She interrupts 

“Fine. Whatever. I thought we had something but you’re obviously hung up on your ex.” He says coldly then his manager calls him for his shoot. 

Tiffany sits down on the couch by the waiting area. She buries her head into her hands and Sunny walks up to her, “Does he know Tae is a girl?”

She lifts up her head, “Probably not.”

“Taeyeon must have been great in bed.”

Tiffany’s face goes red and she pushes back her hair, “She’s just on my mind.”

“Yeah on your mind while you’re having . Why is it so hard for you to move on? You weren’t together for 40 years.”

Tiffany plays with her diamond bracelet that Taeyeon gave her over a year ago, “Because... When I said I was in love I meant it... I’m still... In love.”

“Then why don’t you try to contact her.”

Tiffany takes a deep breath, “Because she’s better off without me.”

“But from what I can tell you’re not better off without her. I literally can’t fit in anymore jobs Fany-ah. This is for me as well I need at least 3 hours of sleep. If it weren’t for me you’d be off the rails.”

Tiffany stands up, “But I’m not! So leave it!” 

I try to keep busy with my career but there’s always a void. I end up staring at your number every night till I fall asleep wondering what you’re doing. If you’re with someone else? If you’re with Jess? If you’re happy without me? I wish I can tell you about my day. About my new life. I miss how you used to tease me. How you would comfort me. How you would care about me. How you would touch me. I know I’m selfish to think that I wish you would come after me even though I’ve driven you away... 

 

​​​​​​A/N: I really appreciate all the comments and support! Taeny will meet again in the next chapter!