Confusion

The Boss

Taeyeon rubs her temple tiredly and sighs. There must be some errors in the report or the company really is losing their profit; something that has never occurred ever since she became the CFO. She scowls when she remembers she’d be having dinner with some American men along with her brother to seal another deal. Why does her work load suddenly become too much to handle? She is perfectly fine with the load if only she can still talk to a certain brunette. Their conversation ever since the date has only been a ‘Hello’, not more than that but sometimes less. What concerns her is that this Friday would be the last day the intern works in her company and she only has one and a half day to spend more time with her which is this Friday night and Saturday, assuming the worst case scenario: the brunette will never meet her again after the department’s monthly gathering. How come one month feels so fast?

Fortunately, the boss and the intern are in one car although she’s sitting on the front seat and the other girl sits at the back. Taeyeon notices how the younger girl unconsciously rests her head on Junhyuk’s shoulder when she turns back to talk to Sooyoung. She has this urge to switch place with him just so that Jessica would sleep on her shoulder instead of someone else’s. Feeling annoyed, she stares at the view from the window and wonders whether spending time with the brunette will be possible or not.

After settling their rooms, the guys decide to play volleyball while the girls disperse to walk around the place to enjoy the breeze and also the view from the mountain. The CFO praises herself for bringing her rather warm jacket instead of her favorite thin one. She sits down on the grass and enjoys looking at all those houses that look tiny from her location; the grey clouds make her happy too because it doesn’t require her to find a shelter to prevent herself from getting sunburnt. She leans her body on a tree trunk, legs straight on the grass and closes her eyes. The reason why she likes monthly gathering is because her subordinates would always find nice place that guarantees relaxation; something that she desires. She opens her eyes and turns her head to her right when she feels someone sits beside her.

“I hope I’m not disturbing you,” Jessica mutters softly as she hugs her knees and rests her chin on them.

“Hi,” Taeyeon gives her a small smile and both of them turn silent. The young girl doesn’t know what else to say and the older one is just simply happy because the brunette is here beside her. “Is watching city view from the mountain with your boyfriend one of your fantasies too?” she tries to initiate a conversation.

“It’d be nicer at night, I bet,” the intern replies, eyes looking at the view. “It’d be much nicer if we could also cuddle,” she smiles and this makes the boss smiles as well. Taeyeon honestly doesn’t know whether she should be happy or not because it could be that all this time the girl is only giving her false hopes and who knows maybe Jessica actually likes Junhyuk or some other guy? She wouldn’t know. She simply smiles just because she likes seeing the other girl’s.

“You know, the fastest way to get your fantasies fulfilled is to get yourself a boyfriend,” the CFO her face to the intern to look into her eyes.

“I do have someone in mind,” the intern replies, her gaze shifts from the city view to meet her boss’. “But I’m not sure whether the person shares the same feeling,” she sighs and looks down to her feet.

“You wouldn’t know if you never confess, right? Although it’s supposed to be a guy’s job, who knows he’s just shy or uncertain whether you share the same feelings,” Taeyeon replies and with every words that she said, her chest feels tighten. She was telling her to confess and the chance the guy would accept is huge. She’s alluring, smart, hardworking, cute, and she can say many other traits that the girl has; all of them are things that she considers lovely. She finds no flaws in her.

“You think so?” the intern looks up to meet her gaze again and the CFO only responds with a ‘hum’. Jessica bites her lower lip and her lips to make them moist. She feels her heart is pounding against her chest and luckily she is sitting, or else her knees will definitely give up. “I like you, Taeyeon-ah,” she mumbles, eyes instantly look down to her feet and she misses how her boss’ eyes widen. Today will be the last day that they’ll see each other and if things gone wrong, she’d just not work in the company ever again. She had done a mental preparation for it since a week ago but she didn’t think that she’d really do it until few seconds ago. “I like the way you make me feel,” she continues. “Do you- can you share the same feelings?” She looks up and bites her lower lip, making Taeyeon gulps the lump on . When her boss stays silent, Jessica braves herself to place one hand on the CFO’s cheek and she caresses it with her thumb. Slowly, she closes the gap between them but the boss turns her head away.

“We can’t, Jessica,”

“I understand,” the brunette mutters before she stands up and is about to walk away when the boss grabs her wrist.

“You don’t,” the older girl frowns. “Sit down and listen to me,” she mutters and the younger girl follows what she wants. “We can’t do that,” she says. “But you should know that I like you too,” she continues and Jessica locks her gaze with her. “Just give me time, a little time,”

+++

Jessica can’t sleep at night. What did her boss mean by giving her time? The timing was perfect for them to kiss and she clearly remembers that nobody was there except for the two of them. She sighs and sits up from the mattress, she her head left and right to see her boss and Sooyoung peacefully sleeping before she decides to leave her room. She opens a can of beer that was left from today’s dinner and brings it together with her to a secluded spot where she can see the city view clearly; few meters away from the CFO’s spot this afternoon. She sits down and gulps the content, staring into space.

Negative thoughts cloud her mind such as maybe the boss only said that just because she doesn't want to see her cry or maybe, maybe she's already in a relationship with someone else and still finding the right moment to break up? She wouldn't know. She gulps down the content as she remembers how the CFO walked away after saying that. She crushes it and smacks it to the ground repeatedly with little force. She's not annoyed, she's not angry, she's just confused. But then again, why is she feeling like this? The CFO has always been this confusing. It should not be a surprise for her and yet, she feels helpless.

"What are you doing?" A guy's voice is heard as he pulls up her hoodie to cover her head.

"Oh, hi oppa," Jessica replies, giving him a small smile and pulling back the hood.

"Had a fight with your boyfriend or maybe soon to be boyfriend?" He plops next to her and hands her an opened can of beer.

"Thanks," she mumbles. "I just- just can't sleep, oppa,"

"Usually I can't sleep only if I have some problems in mind," he pesters, trying to find out more about her love life but only receives silent as an answer. "Am I a helpful oppa for you at work?"

"Of course," she answers in a heartbeat.

"Then let me be helpful outside work also, let me be your friend," he mutters before he pats her back slowly. "Honestly, you look depressed since dinner. If you need a shoulder to cry on, then you can have mine," he continues. "And if you don't want my shoulder, you can have my jacket to wipe your snot on," he chuckles and she pushes him away playfully, chuckling too.

"I'm not that disgusting, ok?" She smiles and he slowly reaches out to her nose with his jacket's sleeve only to get smacked playfully. He's not bad, she thought. If only I don’t like the boss, he’d definitely someone I’m willing to try to have a proper date with. The friendly date was a mess maybe because we’re not that close yet and he felt awkward, she sighs. Hearing her sigh, Junhyuk decides to his jacket and drapes it on her body, thinking that the girl feels cold. "Oppa, I'm-"

"A pretty lady shouldn't get freeze to death, it'd be a waste," he grins and she snorts.

"Fine, suit yourself," she sticks her tongue out and scoots away from him, earning a whine from the older guy. Little did they know, someone is watching both of them. When the brunette left her room, Taeyeon followed her outside stealthily. She doesn't know why the guy suddenly popped out of nowhere but that's not what she's concerned about, she worries that with his treatment, the intern will fall for him. Does hopeless romantics fall in love easily? She doesn't know. One thing that she knows is if Junhyuk treats her like she's some protagonist in a romance movie then there's huge chance that the girl may like him.

Taeyeon sighs as she leans her body on a tree trunk; never in her life has she become a stalker. All she asked for was for the girl to give her time, a little time. Is it that difficult? How would she know that the girl is not patient at all? She sighs again when she hears how the intern whines at him and she unconsciously frowns before walking away.

"O-oppa, what is that?" Jessica clings on him arm all of a sudden and she points to the moving leaf in front of her legs. "Are there some insects or- Ah! Yah!" She smacks his arm when he suddenly uses a branch to trace her back. Hearing the scream, Taeyeon rushes back to her spot, only to see a laughing Junhyuk and a whining Jessica. She clenches her jaw as she stares at them for quite some time before sighing and walks away.

The next day comes too fast for Taeyeon; before she realizes it, they’re on their way to Seoul again. The younger girl has been trying her best to keep a safe distance from her and she doesn't know how but the brunette is always with at least another person. Just like right now, they’re at the same car at the back but somehow the intern could make Sooyoung whom she knows would never want to take the middle seat to sit in the middle. How can she do that? Taeyeon wonders. She notices that her subordinate’s head lean into the intern’s one while the brunette’s head is freely swaying and sometimes it hits the window glass. She sighs before she closes her eyes and leans her head on the headrest. When she hears another thud caused by the younger girl’s head, she decides that she has enough of it; she doesn’t want her to wake up with a head pain or something.

“Junhyuk, can you drive slower?” Taeyeon asks.

“Why boss? Other cars are way passed us,” he replies.

“I’m dizzy,” she mutters.

“Key has med-“

“I drank the medicine already, just drive slowly or you let me drive,”

“O-ok, I drive slowly,” he answers as the speed of the car slows down. Of course the CFO lied, she’s not someone who has motion sickness. She just doesn’t want other people to know that she’s actually taking care of the intern and she also doesn’t need Jessica to know about this gentlewoman slash slightly heroic act; she’s just genuinely concerned. Their journey back to the company takes quite some time considering that the guy drives slowly and night comes before the blonde realizes. After dropping her off at the company with Key and Sooyoung, the guy tells them that he’ll drive Jessica home. She thought that the intern was looking into her eyes as if to say that she had no choice but to say ‘yes’ to the guy but she knew that it was only her mind playing tricks on her. This was because, a split second later when she wants to gaze back, she notices that the brunette’s eyes are only shifting between Key’s and Sooyoung’s.

At the same time, the intern wants her boss to just say ‘I’ll drive Jessica home’ but of course it would never happen. She stared at the CFO for quite some time before she diverted her gaze to the other two people there. Staring at her didn’t make any difference, her boss is just plain cold. When you like someone wouldn’t you try to spend more time with the person? Well, guess that theory works for everyone except for her boss. Feeling dejected, she tells them that she’s exhausted and drags Junhyuk away unaware of Taeyeon’s stare that fixes at where her hand is: his lower arm. 

After everyone has left, she goes up to her office for a file; the intern’s file. She should only be taking her work home, not taking a peek on the brunette’s file. She can’t believe she’s doing this but, she wants to explain the reason why she rejected the kiss.

+++

Jessica is greeted by her two best buds who’s binge watching Game of Thrones without her and she gives both of them a nice smack on their arms. However, when they ask her how the confession goes, her mood drops again. She forgot that she had told them that she wanted to confess. Her friends comforts her as soon as she finished talking and she just shrugs her shoulders; not really knowing what to do as well. If only the blonde didn’t say that she likes her too then maybe none of her confusion would occur, she’d just accept the fact that it was one sided.

She sighs after she’s done drying her hair and prepares to sleep. She goes to the kitchen and sees her house mates still engrossed with the movie and she scoffs; she needs to catch up on the episodes. She takes a glass of chilled water from the fridge and takes it to her room. Just before she switches off her phone, she receives a message from an unknown number, it reads:

 

I’m at your lobby, do you mind going down for a while?

- Taeyeon

 

Her eyes widens and of course, don’t forget the sudden pounding of her heart beating in her chest. She text me. She text me, oh my god! But how can she get my number? Wait- it doesn’t matter, she’s here. She’s freaking here! Jessica squeals.

Wasn’t she still feeling dejected from the blonde’s treatment seconds ago? Where did that feeling go to?


A/N special thanks to nanamon who voted this and y'all who subscribe and comments!! Thanks to all ur comments I feel motivated to write this :)

Tae is sweet isn't she? At least for me... she actually  takes care of Jess a lot, just without the other girl knowing