Speechless

The Boss

When Jessica heard the news that the CFO is back, she prepares herself to thank her boss for the puncher. She decides that after working hours would be the best time, who knows the older girl will ask her to join her for dinner again, she wouldn’t mind it. She waits until everyone has left except for her and the boss. She casually punches holes at the side of the papers until five minutes later just to make sure that everyone really has left. After the time is up, she knocks on the office and finds the CFO busily talking with someone on the company’s phone.

“What? Oppa, listen to me,” the blonde sighs, rubbing her temple, unaware that there is a spectator in her office. “You- why did you do that?” she groans and Jessica fiddles with her fingers, she wonders whether she should come back later. “No, oppa. I told you what mater is-“ she pauses and her eyes lock with the intern’s. She quirks one eyebrow as if to ask the brunette what is up but Jessica doesn’t get it. Instead, the brunette blinks repeatedly making the CFO mouths her the words ‘What is it?’ as she puts down her phone, still not ending the call. The brunette mouths her back the words ‘Thank you for the puncher’ making Taeyeon squints her eyes to read the girl’s lips but she can’t understand it. So she decides to end the call with her brother and asks, “What’s wrong?”

“I just thought I should thank you for the puncher,” the younger girl smiles and this makes the CFO lets out a long exhale; she ends the call only to hear a ‘thank you’? It’s not that she doesn’t appreciate it but she was in a heated argument with her brother about the deal that they just sealed so she was expecting something really important.

“Is that all?” She mutters and she sees the way how the smile disappears and turns to a slight frown.

“Yes, that is all, Ms. Kim,” Jessica shifts her gaze to the floor before she gives her boss a slight bow and exits the office. She grabs her bag to leave the building as soon as possible and brisk-walks to the elevator. At the same time, Taeyeon realizes that what she did may have hurt the younger girl. She grits her teeth in annoyance before she jogs to the elevator only to notice that it is already two floors away. Scowling, she enters the other elevator to catch up with the girl. When she reaches the Ground floor, she sees the girl already at the building entrance, about to walk out. She calls out for her name but the other girl can’t hear it so she runs towards her and grabs her wrist.

“You’re walking too fast,” the CFO pants, catching her breath.

“Ms. Kim,” the brunette trails off.

“I didn’t mean to say that so harshly, I was just too occupied with work,” the older girl explains, looking up and the younger one can only stare at those mesmerizing onyx eyes that she has missed for several days. She glances at the hand that is on her wrist and oh, how she wants to squeal at how right it feels, not too tight but not too loose, just perfect. Realizing that she has held on the wrist for too long, the CFO lets it go and bites her lips. “I’ll send you off to your bus stop, Ms. Jung?” she asks her and the younger girl replies with a smile.

“Sure,” she mutters and they walk to the bus stop in silence until she breaks it. “Are you always this formal to all interns? I remember that you call Mr. Lee by his first name,” she asks, silently proud of herself for not calling Junhyuk as an oppa in front of her boss.

“I think so,” the CFO replies, glancing to the intern. “Why?”

“You can call me with my first name too when we’re alone, you know. I don’t mind,” the brunette mutters. “And I won’t call you unprofessional or something because that’s what I want,” she tucks strands of her hair behind her ear and Taeyeon presses her lips together forming a straight line when she sees that. Today is the first time an intern dares to demand something from her and honestly she finds her bravery appealing, somehow. The boss stays silent until they reach the bus stop and Jessica concludes that she just made a big mistake for asking her superior to do that or maybe the older girl just simply forgot her name. She bites her inner cheek and kicks on an invisible stone with her heels as they wait for the bus to arrive, an action that can’t be missed by the CFO. She waves her boss goodbye as she steps one foot into the bus. However, her heart feels like exploding when she hears her boss saying something.

“Take care, Jessica,” Taeyeon gives her a soft smile and waves back at her making the intern almost lose her footing. She grabs the handle that is close to her and smiles back; she feels like the protagonist in a romance movie and she likes it. She really likes how her boss make her feel.

Taeyeon scratches her non-itchy head and her lips unconsciously form a smile inside her Audi. Why did I do that? She sighs. She bites her lower lip when she realizes that she is going to smile. Can’t be denied though, she looks kind of cute when she kicked those invisible pebbles, her lips tug upward when she remembers it and her foot presses on the gas pedal deeper to speed up to her home.

+++

Jessica frowns at the sight of dark circles below her eyes; she couldn’t sleep because a certain blonde invaded her mind at night. She walks towards her cubicle, eyes looking down when she bumps into someone. In that split second, she readies herself to fall due to the impact but instead, a pair of arms hug her waist.

“Careful,” someone mutters and she shifts her gaze from the floor to a pair of familiar onyx eyes.

“Ms. Kim,” she trails off, still in the arms of her boss. The older girl gives her a small smile and helps her to steady herself before she lets go of the intern.

“You really are clumsy, Jessica” the CFO chuckles before leaving her alone, stunned. How many days has it been ever since she heard that wonderful chuckle? And oh! She calls her name! She turns her head left and right to see whether any other employees witness her moment with the boss and she smiles unbeknownst to anyone else after knowing that everyone was busy with their own work. She wonders what reason she can use to meet with the older girl again. The report! She beams. She will ask her boss about the report, just so that she can talk to the CFO. She is desperate for the girl’s attention.

During lunch break, the brunette makes a bet with herself; she will stay in the office hoping that the CFO will ask her for lunch or even to tell her about the report would be fine. If she lost it that would mean that she will have to starve herself until dinner time. She told the others that she wasn’t feeling hungry because she had a large breakfast. While waiting for the miracle to happen, she reminisced to their moment hours ago. She bites her lips when she remembers that her boss’ arms are unexpectedly toned for someone who looks so petite. She remembers how strong they were when they hugged her waist and this makes her cups her face as she realizes that it starts to heat up. More than a week ago, she wouldn’t have thought that the girl she cursed to not have a boyfriend ever again, could have this effect on her.

At the same time, Taeyeon is seen contemplating inside Starbucks, she wonders what drink the intern would like so she settles for something ordinary; iced Caramel Macchiato. She takes her iced Chamomile tea and the Caramel Macchiato inside its carrier and walks back to her office. She bites her lower lip thinking, what if the younger girl doesn’t like it or what if other employees have returned from their lunch break. Sighing, she walks faster to reach the building sooner.

The CFO her head, checking whether the coast is clear before she decides to put the drink on the intern’s table. She sighs in relief when she doesn’t see anyone. She places the orange colored post it beside the drink, it reads:

 

The coffee I owed you

 

When she is about to exit the cubicle, her eyes lock with the owner’s and she gives her a small smile while Jessica looks at her with shock.

“Ms. Kim, did you need anything?” the brunette asks. She cursed herself for going to the toilet earlier, she could’ve seen her boss sooner.

“I just- I owed you a coffee,” Taeyeon looks up to the intern. “So I bought you one as a ‘sorry’ gift and also a ‘good job’ gift,”

“Hey, don’t cheat,” Jessica unconsciously whines at her. “You can’t combine two gifts into one, you know,” she pouts and this makes the older girl smiles at the cute sight.

“Ok, ok, fine,” the CFO runs her fingers through her hair. “What do you want?”

“Now that you ask me,” the younger one trails off. “I don’t know what I want, honestly” she locks her gaze with the pair of eyes that she loves a lot. “Surprise me?”

“I uhh-“ Taeyeon gulps the lump on . “I’m not good with surprises, actually,”

“Aww, you’re not fun,” Jessica puffs up air in her cheek. “I-“

“I’ll see you later, break time’s almost over,” the CFO cuts her before walking away. What the hell, the brunette curses internally. Maybe she doesn’t want anyone to know that we’re talking like this? All employees think that she doesn’t care about interns, she must’ve thought about her image, she sighs. But she remembered what I said about her owing me a coffee? That’s pretty sweet of her, she smiles. The intern sits down on her chair and takes the venti sized drink, she sips on it but stops as soon as she realizes that it’s coffee. She can’t drink coffee or else her gastric will react badly. She turns the cup to see her name written so neatly with a smiley at the end.

 

Jessica :)

 

Her heart hopes that it’s the CFO’s handwriting but she knows it better that the barista in Starbucks would be the one who wrote it. She is happily staring at the cup when Junhyuk appears with a plastic bag and drops it gently on her table.

“You liked their burritos so I thought why not I buy it for you? You can eat them in the pantries if you want, I’ll cover you if the boss caught you,” he whispers in her ear and the intern thanks him for his thoughtful act. She sighs in relief when he doesn’t ask about the Starbucks drink at all, maybe he thought that she bought it herself.

Meanwhile for Taeyeon, when the door of her office closes, she puts her hand on where her heart is. Why was I so nervous? She purses her lips and plops on her coach groaning. What does a twenty one years old wants? Her hand reaches out for her iced tea and she sips on it while thinking about the question. Oh, I haven’t told her about the report. I should at least tell her what she’s been doing right and wrong, right? She bites her lips and lets out a long exhale. Her whines sound cute, she smiles.

+++

For a girl like Jessica, of course she’d believe in destiny, completely. She prayed to every gods out there that if they are destined to spend time together then they would spend this Friday night together, just like how she waited for a miracle during lunch time just now and the boss suddenly appeared. She lied to the others saying that she left something when the truth was that she wanted to wait for the CFO. She had to decline Junhyuk’s offer to drive her home only to wait for another miracle to happen. What if the older girl has already had plans and she would have to go home alone? That would be sad.

The boss is tiredly yawning on her way to the elevator when she sees light coming from the intern’s cubicle. She walks stealthily to the younger girl only to see the brunette’s hair hiding her face. She brushes strands of hair away from the intern’s face and stares at the sleeping figure from her eyes down to her nose and lastly her lips. She shakes her head and blinks repeatedly at what she just did before she pats the brunette’s back gently to wake her up.

“Jessica,” Taeyeon mutters softly as she shakes the sleeping figure and crouches down to level their height. “Ms. Jung,” she calls out again and this time the intern opens one of her eyes to see who has woken her up. The words ‘Ms. Jung’ has been imprinted in her mind that she automatically wakes up when the CFO calls her by that name. The brunette gazes at a pair of eyes that she’s desperate to see, few inches away and she isn’t sure whether it’s her sleepy mind or she really sees how her boss’ pupils dilate and how her lips tug upwards giving her a soft smile. “You should go home, why are you here anyway? You should be happily relaxing at your home or going on a date. It’s Friday night,” she purses her lips and oh how Jessica wants to just lean in to kiss those tempting lips.

“You told me that we’ll see each other later so here I am, waiting for you,” the brunette mumbles and sits up straight, unaware that her reply is making the blonde speechless, in a good way.


A/N special thanks to ben-o9, Tomaxe, Melissa_Hans, etyam1, Kalv_valK, alwaysdivine, smarty0821 for the vote!!

The boss is speechless.. following chapters will have more fluff.. why did I write that there'll be balanced amount fluff and angst? Where's the angst? -- hahaha