The Boss

The Boss

Until few seconds ago, Jessica didn’t think that one of her fantasies would be ruined just like that. Ever since she has started to love watching those sappy movies and TV series and also reading romantic novels, she would always think that she’d bump then spill her drink to a random gorgeous looking guy with his dazzling smile and hot body but it turned out that she bumped and spilled it to a girl; a short girl with her blonde hair tied in a ponytail.

“Sorry!” Jessica mutters in reflect seeing that part of her drink is now becoming stains on someone else’s clothes while the affected girl grimaces at the feeling of cold drink against her skin.

“It’s fine,” the other girl mumbles and glances at her for split second before she walks away. Jessica scoffs at the other girl reaction, silently taking notes at what the girl looks like. Why is she so cold? Shouldn’t she at least offer to replace my drink or something? She didn’t even smile, pftt. Sighing, she walks back inside the coffee shop to buy herself another Caramel Frappuccino.

+++

Taeyeon grits her teeth at the uncomfortable feeling when her wet shirt touches her bare stomach. She has never thought that the day when someone clumsily spill her drink would come; moreover, when she is wearing a white shirt. She lets out a long exhale before she zips her black leather jacket till the top. As uncomfortable as it is, she can’t just walk around with her shirt sticking to her body. She rummages for her car key inside her handbag, presses on the button to unlock her glacier white metallic Audi A5 Coupe and enters the car. She takes off her jacket and tosses it on top of her handbag at the passenger’s seat. After that, she turns on the radio of her car as well as the Air Conditioner before she drives to her office.

“Boss! We got a new intern tomorrow,” Sooyoung chirps at her as soon as the taller one sees her boss.

“Ok,” Taeyeon mutters and stops for a while to eye her subordinate. She then sighs and walks into her office. She actually hates it when her department get a new person especially if it’s interns but she trusts Sooyung’s judgement. Although she won’t be the one who teaches them from the beginning, she just feels like their job dynamic will be ruined for a while. In addition to that, the new character in her department may possess surprising personalities which may irk her. She can only hope that the new intern won’t be a bother.

She zips open her jacket and tosses it on the couch before she plops on her chair. She then realizes that she needs to change her shirt. Lucky I’ve always keep spare ones in the office, she smiles to nobody. After changing in the toilet located inside the office, she sighs again when she notices the piles of documents that she needs to check. Being a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is not as easy as she thought. Her older brother kept on telling her that jobs got difficult once she became the Chief Executive Director (CEO) and she trusted him. She should’ve known that her brother was only being his trickster-self. She swivels on her chair several times until she gets dizzy before she stops. After a while, she starts to read the files and frequently twirls her pen between her fingers skillfully; a habit of her ever since her high school days.

Taeyeon is resting her eyes and brain by staring into space after two hours of constant checking when she hears the phone ringing. When she picks up the call, she lets out a long exhale after realizing who has called her.

“My dongsaeng! Let’s go for dinner at night? With dad!” Kim Jaewook slash her older brother slash the CEO says.

“Why are you calling through the company’s phone? I thought it was impor-“

“See you! At 7,” he ends the call and Taeyeon frowns at the phone. Her brother always does that kind of thing. He really needs a girlfriend so he can stop bothering me, Taeyeon sighs. She picks up her pen again to twirl it before she opens a new document.

At 7 sharp, Taeyeon has already been inside the CEO’s office and he does a final check before he decides that they can go. Entering his obsidian metallic blank Mercedes-AMG GLS63 SUV, Taeyeon puts her Prada handbag on her lap before she puts on the seatbelt. She replies her brother’s question with simple words; she’s tired and she doesn’t even feel like talking anymore. She furrows her eyebrows in annoyance when she remembers that tomorrow, there would be a new intern in her department.

The siblings go into a secluded spot inside the Italian restaurant that their father has booked and find that their dinner is ready, complete with a bottle of red wine. Taeyeon gives thumbs up to his dad and earns a chuckle from the old man. The dinner goes as per normal with chit-chats about global economy, politics and of course, their love life; a topic that became trending just recently for the family. Taeyeon scowls when they say that she should settle down soon.

“Hey, I’m doing well and I’m not going to find anyone else who just clings on me like some koala,” she mutters and her family laughs at her. They know how her past boyfriends were always needy which stressed her out but at the same time, the youngest in the family is reaching her thirties and still no partner in life. Assuming that the relationship would go in tortoise speed, they are scared that she won’t settle down pretty soon. “And Jaewook oppa is the one who should settle down, he’s reaching forty,” she points at her brother.

“I’m a man, even if I’m in my forties, girls will flock around a successful, handsome and tall man like me,” he proudly replies and Taeyeon snorts in disgust.

“Handsome my ,” she mumbles and her brother pokes her shoulders teasingly. “I’ll settle down if I can find someone who’s not needy or too sensitive,”

“You are weird, girls usually will like it if their boyfriends are sensitive,” Jaewook sips on the wine and notices that their father is silently observing them. “What’s wrong, dad?”

“I’m thinking,” he replies and Taeyeon looks to her father. “I’ll buy you another car when you introduce your next boyfriend to us,” he smiles and Taeyeon’s eyes twinkle in happiness.

“Well, Jaewook oppa, dad, tell me if you have any friends or business partners whom you think is good enough for me,” she grins and Jaewook ruffles her hair.

“Aigoo, my sister!” The CEO and the old man chuckle. Other families would have not said that in fear that their daughter would bring a random guy home but the Kim family knows that Taeyeon is too honest and responsible to do such things. “You know, dad and I don’t even mind if you bring a girl home, as long as you’re in relationship,” Jaewook continues and Taeyeon frowns at the word ‘girl’. “Two years has been too long, Taeyeon,”

“Why would I bring a girl home? Even guys are too clingy for me,” she trails off. After the conversation about her love life is done, Taeyeon goes to the toilet and notice that there’s a small puddle of water near the cubicle. She purses her lips and waits for the person inside to finish her business. When the door opens, she sees a brunette who looks oddly familiar.

“You again,” the other girl mutters and Taeyeon meets her eyes for the first time.

“Oh, uhh- hi?” The CFO gives her a polite smile. “You are?”

“The girl that spilled coffee on you this afternoon,”

“Oh! That girl,” Taeyeon widens her eyes then frowns when she remembers how uncomfortable it was.

“You owe me a coffee, by the way,” the other girl smiles but the CFO tilts her head to the side a bit, feeling confused.

“Why? You’re the one who bumped and spilled your coffee. I was the one at disadvantaged,” Taeyeon says, eyebrows furrow.

“Excuse me?” the brunette gasps and looks at her in disbelief. “I needed to buy a new cup of coffee because-“ she stops when she hears the blondie snorts.

“Why do I have to meet someone like you?” The CFO looks at her with disgust. “Just- just go away,” she shooed her with her hands and enters the cubicle.

“Yah! If you have a boyfriend, keep him close; he may be your last chance of having one with that attitude!” The brunette shouts and Taeyeon shakes her head unbeknownst to the other girl. The CFO swears that if she ever meet her again, she’ll make sure to hide well. She doesn’t want to further complicate her tiring life with someone like the brunette.

Jessica pouts at the harsh treatment that the stranger has given. She was just trying to initiate a conversation and tease the stranger but how would she know that the stranger was so serious about everything? Now she feels like a , she should’ve just pretend that she didn’t know her. She knows that she has accidentally offended the other girl. Sighing, she sits on her table where her close friends are happily gossiping.

“What’s with the long face?” Hyoyeon, the blonde, asks her when she realizes the dull aura the brunette is giving out. “Didn’t get a hot guy’s number? It’s fine, Sica! Guys in our Uni are hot enough,”

“Hmm?” Jessica looks tiredly at her friend. “I wish that it was as simple as that,” she lets out a long exhale and slumps on the chair.

“Why? Tell us! Did something big happen?” Tiffany, the red head, looks to her best friend and Jessica looks back with a sigh. The brunette tells them what has happened and her two friends laugh at her. “You should stop being your chirpy self every time, you know,” Tiffany chuckles.

“I was not being my chirpy self, ok? I just- I wanted to- sigh, never mind,” she mumbles.

“Maybe because that was a girl, Sica! If it’s a guy, he’ll definitely treat you for dinner over a coffee!” Hyoyeon wiggles her eyebrows teasingly. “You always make guys feel hot and bothered if he doesn’t give in to you,” she continues which earns a loud laughter from the other two.

“Yah! Stop with all our ual innuendos, you make me sound like some cheap girl who seduces every time,” Jessica points her finger at her friend and chuckle. “I don’t seduce people, ok? It’s just that they are too confident that they thought I’m doing that,” she continues but her friends only nod and smile teasingly. She knows who can lift up her sour mood easily; her two best friends, Tiffany and Hyoyeon.

+++

Jessica breathes in and out to calm herself down for her first day in Kim Global. She directly goes to Sooyoung, the one who interviewed her a week ago, and the other girl greets her with a smile.

“Jessica!” The taller one chirps happily. “Welcome to Kim Global, finance department!”

“Thank you, Ms. Choi,” she bows slightly to the senior.

“Ms. Kim will arrive soon, make sure to greet her properly, she’s quite strict to hierarchy to the newbies,” Sooyoung whispers in her ear and Jessica looks up in shock. “You must get to her good side, you know,”

“O-of course!” Jessica replies and Sooyoung starts giving the mini tour to the intern. Jessica realizes that some of the male employees gawk at her and she gives all of them a polite smile. She notes that she can seek their advice or help in the future. When they are about to ride the elevator, it dings and the door opens revealing Taeyeon with her poker face. Sooyoung greets her and Jessica automatically bows, even before they make an eye contact. When the brunette looks up, her eyes widen and slightly agape at the cold stare that her boss is giving. Who would’ve thought that the girl she spilled her drink to is her boss?

“Jessica, this is Ms. Kim Taeyeon, our CFO,” Sooyoung briefly introduces her boss to the intern. “Boss, the new intern, Jessica Jung,”

“G-good morning, I’m Jessica Jung,” she bows again to the shorter girl and the CFO only gives her a nod before she walks away. Jessica swears that her heart never pounds that fast before, the word ‘our CFO’ and ‘boss’ keeps on repeating on her head like a broken record; she knows that she is screwed.


A/N oh god, I was shocked to have taeng_sica voted for this even though the first chap was not up.. thanks for believeing in me :) and of course, all the subscribers and the comments too:)