Disappointments

The Boss

Jessica is seen pointing her fingers at her two best mates who are laughing their off. Both of them thought that the ‘someone’ she liked was a gorgeous looking guy with his eight packs abs but it turned out to be a woman; someone who's eight years older than her but shorter. Her friends don’t mind about the age difference at all; in fact, they for looking older than her 29 years old boss.

“Oh god, stop,” the brunette mumbles as she shakes her head in frustration. “I don’t look that old and that’s what makes her adorable, ok? She’s-“

“So now our Sica likes adorable girls, hmm?” Hyoyeon teases her, earning a laughter from the red head and a whine from the brunette.

“She’s that kind of person who’s all cold but actually very warm, you know. She makes me feel-“

“Hot and bothered?” the blonde continues.

“Ye- what? Yah!” Jessica smacks her friend’s arm hard but ends up laughing with her house mates. They tell her how her happiness is the most important thing and if the short woman is able to make her feel all the butterflies that she loves then why not. They don’t see the CFO as someone who’d break her heart, she looks charismatic; exactly what Jessica likes in a person.

“Oh! You guys even slept together yesterday! Details, Sica!” Hyoyeon happily chirps.

“What?! We didn’t have you ert, we only slept on the same be-“

“Boo, boring,” the red head cuts her.

“Yah! I’m not like the both of you, ok?” Jessica scowls and earns more ‘booing’ from her two friends. “You guys continue with that, I need to check on her. It’s past twelve,” she rushes to her room to check on the older girl as an excuse to escape from her friends’ teasing. When she opens her door, she is greeted by the sight of her boss’ milky white back with her black bra. She watches how she grabs her navy shirt which is on the bed and puts it on. She bites her lower lip unconsciously and just stares at the blonde.

“Staring is rude,” Taeyeon mutters, as she rolls up her shirt sleeves and turns to look at her. She gives her a smirk when she realizes that the younger girl was checking her out. “Come here,” she motions with her hand as she sits down on the side of the bed. Like someone under a spell, Jessica walks to her without complain. The boss opens her arms and the brunette willingly goes to her embrace and rests her chin on the CFO’s shoulder, her back bends down awkwardly.

“Are you leaving?”

“I’m meeting your friends first then I’m off,” Taeyeon replies as she the brunette’s hair gently. “Why? Did you want to go somewhere?”

“Where to? I thought weekends should be our time,” the younger one releases herself from the older girl to sit next to her.

“Work," the blonde trails off. “Did you plan for anything or you just want to be with me?” she moves her fingers to caress the brunette’s hair and looks at her in the eyes.

“I just want to be with you,” Jessica mumbles, feeling shy all of a sudden; all the boys in the past would never make her say these words, they would be the one who would throw themselves at her. Seeing the other girl like this, Taeyeon gives her a soft smile and grabs her chin gently, effectively making her look back into her eyes.

“I need to finish my work from Friday, deadline is coming. But if I can finish it fast then I’ll call you up for dinner?” the CFO mutters softly and her thumb moves to caress her cheek.

“Ok,” the brunette sighs and this makes the blonde quirks a single eyebrow, she knows that the latter is disappointed. She is about to assure her that she’d definitely not neglect her when the taller girl stands up and drags her out of her room. She introduced the boss to her two house mates and they talk a bit before the CFO excuses herself and leaves.

Her best friends know at that point of time that the oldest girl is a workaholic, a trait that has never been owned by anyone who courted her. Can they last? They start to doubt it although it’s their first day.

Jessica sighs when she receives a message at six o’clock, saying that the CFO can’t eat dinner together. The older girl asked her for her Uni schedule instead so she can pick her up if she’s done with her work. She sighs again and lies down on her bed, staring at her phone screen to wait for the reply. She scowls when the boss only replies her with a simple ‘Ok’. What the hell, she wrinkles her nose in annoyance and tosses her phone away on her nightstand. Where is the oh-I’m-damn-affectionate Taeyeon? Why is she back to the cold one? She bites her lower lip and sighs for the third time.

Meanwhile, the CFO clenches and unclenches her jaw, she should’ve declined the young girl’s offer to spend the night so she could’ve continued on her work sooner and finishes it faster. She rubs her temple and sighs, how can she spend time with the brunette when she’s trapped with her work? She can’t just ignore deadlines, she has never done that before and she won’t ever do it for anyone. Today, she’ll stay up to finish re-checking her report.

Sometimes, things don’t go the way we want it to be and that’s what perfectly described the CFO’s situation. She told the younger girl that she’d pick her up from her Uni but guess what? Her brother is holding her back and of course she can’t decline if it’s about her work. Moreover, she hasn’t told her family about the brunette yet.

They end the meeting at nine o’clock and she is sure that she has disappointed the young girl, again. Feeling guilty, she sighs before she searches for ‘Bunny slippers’ on Google. The least she can do is to give a surprise for the brunette. She clicks on the first website that comes out and stares intently at two different pictures; a classic bunny slippers and a killer rabbit slippers. She purses her lips and thinks hard, she loves the killer rabbit more but the young girl may not like it. Feeling too tired for thinking over simple stuffs, she orders both of them; they have the same size anyway. She hopes that the brunette will choose the classic bunny slippers instead so she can wear the other one. First couple item, I guess, she smiles to nobody and lies on her bed. Should be here by next week! She wonders whether the other girl has fallen asleep. Should she call? She contemplates for some time and she decides not to call in the end. She’ll just pick her up from her Uni tomorrow with a bouquet of flowers, the brunette loves surprises, right? So she’d give her one.

+++

Jessica is laughing at some jokes that one of her friends is telling her. She slaps his shoulder playfully to stop him from repeating a single word that will trigger her laughter. They walk side by side to his car with him happily talking about his drunk accident. Both of them are not aware of someone’s stare from inside a white Audi. The person grits on her teeth and sighs. Should I call her? Or should I let her go home with her friend? She is about to leave them alone when she sees how his hand travels to her back. She purses her lips and her eyebrow knits together in annoyance. She grabs her phone from the passenger’s seat and dials a number.

“Taeyeon?” Jessica stops on her tracks and mutters quietly, as if not believing that the older girl has just called her; it’s the first time the latter does this.

“Are you going home?” the CFO asks softly as she keeps on looking at the girl from her car.

“Yeah, I’m eating with a friend and he’ll drive me home,” the brunette replies, feeling slightly confused because the blonde has never asked her question like this. “Why?”

“Just asking,” Taeyeon pauses for a while and she sees how the other girl looks at her phone screen to make sure that the call is still on. “I’ll see you for dinner around 6?”

“Sure, I’ll wait for you,” the taller girl mutters.

“Ok,” the older girl ends the call with a sigh. She watches how the younger one stares at the phone screen for a while, again, before she puts it inside her handbag and continues to chat with her friend. She could’ve just told her that she’s here, right in front of her. However, she thinks that she can’t just appear out of nowhere and steals her away from her friend; her Jessica needs to have some time with other people besides her too, right? She lets out a long exhale before she glances at the bouquet of white tulips at the back seat. What if oppa ask me to stay back again? That would mean no dinner with her. She nibbles on her upper lip and rubs her temple before she decides to just leave the parking lot. She drives past them and she shifts her gaze to the two when the guy pulls Jessica closer so that her car won’t hit her. What the, she scoffs. My car is too far from her, he’s good at taking his chances.

“The owner must be rushing,” Kris mutters, still with his hand on her upper arm.

“I guess so,” she mumbles. A white Audi with the same model as Taeyeon’s, she bitterly chuckles internally. It’s not her, stop hoping too much, Jessica; she’s busy with her work. If only she remembers the CFO’s car plate number, she wouldn’t have all these thoughts about the latter. She lets her friend’s arm around her shoulder as they walk to his car; they’re close friends and she doesn’t mind skinship. Another thought comes to her mind: when will the older girl do this kind of thing to her so easily?

+++

Entering her car, Taeyeon presses on the loud speaker of her phone before she tosses it on the passenger’s seat. She has several missed calls from the girl and she curses herself for putting her phone inside the drawer back then. She sighs when her phone call to the girl is not answered. A chance to ask the girl to have dinner together flies away, again. She runs her fingers through her hair as she decides to just go home; food delivery for today. Just when she is five minutes away from her home, her phone rings. She glances at the screen before she decides to stop by the side of the road.

“Hi,” the CFO mutters, her lips tug upwards forming a small smile. “Have dinner with me?”

Sorry, Tae, I just did, actually,” the younger girl trails off.

“Oh, where are you now?” She is no longer smiling, she drums her fingers on the steering wheel and internally sighs. Why did she think that the girl would wait just to have a dinner with her at nine? She should've just gone for a short dinner and returned to her work afterwards.

“I’m still on my way home, still with the same friend since lunch,”

“Oh, you-“ she pauses when she hears Jessica talking with her guy friend in the background; she’s not sure what they’re saying but she is certain that she hears a giggle. Her left eyebrow twitches and just like reflect, her jaw clenches before it unclenches a second after. “Jessica? Are you still there?” she asks only to be ignored. “Jess-“

“Sorry, Tae, I was talking to him. What were you saying?”

“Nothing,” she trails off. “I need to go, I’ll talk to you later,”

“O-oh? Ok, take care, Taeyeon-ah," the brunette replies, feeling sightly sad that the other girl end the call so quickly. "Yah, you, don't disturb me when I'm talking to her," she scowls and smacks her friend's arm, earning herself a laughter from the guy.

"You were using that cute and super soft tone to her, it was disgusting," he continued laughing at her.

"I wasn't," she scoffs and turns her gaze to the window. Realising that the girl is feeling slightly upset, Kris shuts his mouth and drives faster to her apartment. He knows that if she's feeling down, home is the best solution. 

Jessica sighs and stares at her phone, to be precise at Taeyeon's number. She should've said that she misses her and how much she wants her to be by her side but no, she didn't. Is she being too clingy? She doubts so. Isn't it normal for her to miss the older girl? Two days has passed since the last time they saw each other and two dinner dates has been cancelled. People say third time's a charm but she honestly feels that it doesn't work that simple. 

The brunette clicks her tongue and shuts her laptop screen down when she realizes that even watching hillarious variety show doesn't help her situation. As much as she wants to tell her two mates about this, they're busy with their assignments and she doesn't have the heart to burden them with her problem. As of her own assignments, she's done that way before the deadline so she's having a lot of free time. Sighing, she lies down on her bed and stares at the number all over again. Just when she is about to switch it off, she receives a text from the girl;

 

I'm really sorry for keep on making our dinner dates cancelled

Do you want me to come to your apartment so maybe we can have a late night date?

 

She stares at the text for few minutes before she decides to switch off her phone. What if the 'maybe' turns out to be cancelled too? She doesn't have the heart to deal with too many disappointments, three days in a row.


A/N special thanks to gerasyika, Mj1234, Yellowjacket, fyssul, miza071098, CoolTY18, cookie1026, icejelly, dorkykidleader24, xxxibgdrgnxxx, JooNa331 for the vote!! And also all y'all who's commenting!! And the subscribers!!

An update after so long I guess? Anyway, work is an ininevitable problem for them; the boss LOVES working. Let's just see how she apologise or see how Jessica wins her time.. guess which one will next chapter be all about?