The Intern

The Boss

Taeyeon sighs when she closes the door of her office. Out of everybody else in Korea, the new intern have to be the girl who she currently dislikes most. She wonders whether she should come up with a plan to make the intern feels uncomfortable and leave her company as soon as possible. She smirks when she realizes that the one month internship can become much lesser for the other girl. She grabs a piece of paper and starts to jot down her plan. She has never done it before but she knows that there will be a first to everything and today is the first time she will make a plan to make an intern quit ASAP.

She opens her drawer and gets a piece of post it. On the green colored paper, she writes:

 

Make me a cup of coffee

-Kim Taeyeon

 

She walks to the intern’s cubicle and notice that she is still not there. She attaches the note on the middle of the table and returns to her office. She was aware of the stares that the employees were giving but she pretended that she didn’t notice them. Who would not stare when their boss who usually doesn’t care much about an intern suddenly gives a piece of note to the newbie? Taeyeon plops on her chair and takes her pen to twirl it. She sighs before she puts it down and proceeds to her daily duties.

+++

“There you go, your cubicle!” Sooyoung says when they reach their floor again after she told the new intern on the location of the cafeteria. “Oh, what is this?” she mumbles. She grabs the green note and reads it. “Boss wants you to make a cup of coffee, you can do that on the pantry that I showed you. Ask the office boy how to operate the coffee machine,” she gives Jessica the note. “After the coffee, sort those files up and put it in separate folders. You know where my cubicle is if you need any help,” she points at the box on the floor.

“Ok, Ms. Choi,” Jessica smiles at her and Sooyoung leaves. She goes to the pantry and ask the office boy to help her to make a cup of coffee using the machine. With a small tray in one hand, she knocks on the CFO’s office gently. When she receives a ‘Come in’ as an answer, she gulps the lump on before she pushes down the door handle down and steps inside the office. The first thing she notices when she opens the door is the black leather jacket in contrast with the white couch.

“Ms. Kim, here’s the coffee you requested,” she says politely and looks to the CFO who’s busy twirling her pen.

“Bring it here,” Taeyeon replies without looking at the intern at all. After Jessica places the coffee on her table gently, she continues with her eyes still on the computer, “You bring out that box, punch holes at the side of each document and put it in folders, with dividers. Ask the dividers and the paper punch from the office boy then give it to Sooyoung afterwards, she knows what to do.”

“Yes, Ms. Kim,” she slightly bows at her and goes to the box beside the CFO’s table. She gulps the lump on when she realizes how full the box is. Biting her lips, she lifts up the box only to drop it a second after; the box is too heavy for her. Hearing the loud thud, Taeyeon glances at the intern and finds her smiling awkwardly.

“Sorry,” the intern mutters and the CFO nods before she looks back to her computer and clicks on her mouse. With her peripheral view, Taeyeon smirks slightly at the sight of the intern dragging the box out.

“Lift it up, I don’t want it to leave marks on the carpet,”

“Yes?” Jessica widens her eyes and Taeyeon quirks an eyebrow at the intern. “Y-yes, Ms. Kim,” she replies. She bends her back and her two hands grips on the side of the box tightly before she starts to lift the box up. She is walking weirdly, making small fast steps with her back still hunched and the sight makes Taeyeon’s lips tug upwards in amusement. The blonde rubs her nose with her index finger to hide her smiling face as she watches the intern. Jessica drops the box gently when she reaches the door; she curses internally for the damping hinge that it has. She opens the door as wide as possible before she quickly lifts the box and exits the CFO’s room. When the intern is no longer in sight, a huge smile is plastered on the CFO’s face; step one to make the intern feel uncomfortable succeeds.

When a male co-worker sees the big box Jessica is dragging on the floor, he automatically offers to help which Jessica happily responds. The guy she learnt to go by the name Lee Junhyuk has a dazzling smile.

“A pretty girl like you shouldn’t carry these boxes, this is a man’s job,” he smiles as he places the box next to the box that Sooyoung gave this morning.

“Thank you, Mr. Lee,”

“No worries as long as you can call me oppa,” he winks at her.

“Ok, thank you, oppa,” she gives her a charming smile that she usually gives to make guys swoon and of course, it works because now she can tell that the guy is blushing judging by the red color of his ears.

“Yeah, call me if you need anything. My desk is just behind yours,” he smiles again before he walks away. Jessica sighs when she stares at the two boxes before she sits down and grabs the first document out from the box that the CFO gave. She smacks her forehead when she realizes that she forgot to ask for dividers, paper punch and a stapler from the office boy. When she gets the news from the office boy that the heavy duty paper punch is spoilt, she feels like her knees are going to give up; that would mean that she needs to punch holes using the normal paper punch. With a stack of dividers, a normal-sized paper punch and a stapler, she begins her work. She takes out the stapler’s bullet, takes the first page of the document, folds it into half to make a marking for her to punch hole then combine it with a few more pages before she punch holes. Again and again, her job repeats and she knows that today will be a long day.

By lunch time, she is only done with half of the box and her stomach grumbles. Lucky for her, Junhyuk oppa asks her to go for a lunch with another colleague. They go to a nearby restaurant that serve Korean cuisine and she is glad that they treat her well. They tell her that the CFO doesn’t usually notice any interns so they was quite baffled when she gave her extra work.

“Maybe, boss swings for both, you know,” Key mutters, earning a gasp from Junhyuk and a wide eyes stare from Jessica. “Maybe your beauty captivates her,” he continues with her eyebrow furrows as if he’s imagining the CFO with the intern. “I heard she’s single, not even meeting anyone,”

“Hey, don’t creep her out on her first day!” Junhyuk smacks his head forcefully and they all laugh. “Do you even swing for both?”

“I’ve never tried with girls before, oppa,” Jessica replies and Key directly squints her eyes at the intern.

“Oppa?” He teases the girl. “Why are we not in that terms yet, hmm?”

“S-sorry, oppa, I’ll-“

“Quit it, Key,” he smacks him again and Jessica can only laugh at the sight of the two bickering. After they gossip more, she learnt that their boss is actually the daughter of the director of the company; Kim Global is a family business. Moreover, her boss is a great person too although sometimes she tends to be a little insensitive, judgmental and too uptight. When she shares what has happened between the two of them, the guys look at her with wide eyes and mouth agape.

“Yo-you did what?” Key asks her.

“I told her to buy me a coffee and sort of cursed her love life?” She raises her eyebrows. “I didn’t know that she will be my boss, ok?” She chuckles. “I screwed up, huh?” She asks them before she sips on her drink and the two guys nod at her.

“Maybe that’s why she gave you extra, she’s doing revenge?” Key quips and she just shrugs. “Well, be patient, she’s not someone who will plan to make someone quit or anything. So, rest assured, her torments will end soon. Just do what she wants with enough effort and care, she’ll notice it and put you on her good side. She’s very hardworking so she hates those who slacks around,” he advices and Jessica nods at the new information she receives. True, who would make a plan to make me quit? She’s busy, she won’t have time for that, the intern thought. If only the brunette knows what happened this morning then she wouldn’t have said that.

During the break time, when most of the employees leave the finance department floor, Taeyeon walks stealthily to Jessica’s cubicle. The first thing she notices is the normal-size paper punch which makes her frown for split second before it turns to a grin; more job for the intern. She takes a folder that is put neatly on the table and flips through the page. She presses her lips together forming a straight line when she realizes the quality of the brunette’s work is not bad; all pages are neatly hole-punched at the same point so they are aligned well. Closing the folder, she sighs and put it to where she found it. She then walks to her office and continues analyzing the profit goals as well as the production spending levels. Tomorrow, she’ll continue with her plan two: make the intern to write reports about the past financial account in the last two years. She wants her to be mentally tired.

By 8 p.m., Taeyeon’s stomach grumbles loudly and she rubs on it with a frown. She only ate a ham sandwich in the afternoon due to the workload that she had. After turning off the computer, she wears her leather jacket and handbag before exiting the office. Her eyebrows furrow when she notices light from one of the employees’ cubicle; work ends at five. She walks to the cubicle and realizes that it comes from the intern’s one. Taeyeon’s lips turn into a straight line when she notices the intern is holding a stapler in one hand and the document in the other hand with her eyes closed. She taps on her back gently a few time in order not to shock the brunette.

“Wake up and go home,” the CFO mutters and Jessica accidentally presses on the stapler due to shock and the bullet punctures her finger. The brunette shrieks in pain and the blonde’s eyes widen. The older one directly puts her handbag on the table to grab the injured finger and observes it for few seconds. She plucks out the stapler bullet that luckily is not bent or stuck on the finger. Jessica hisses at the pain and Taeyeon looks up to her, her face is painted with worry. She then drags the brunette to the toilet and helps her to wash her wound. After that, she grabs tissue paper and daps on the wound gently. “Wait here, I’ll get the first aid kit,” she says before running to the pantry to get it. Meanwhile, the brunette looks at her bleeding wound with teary eyes; she was surprised when the metal suddenly punctured her skin. Realizing that her wound ooze with more and more blood, she places her fingers under the automatic tap to let running water on her finger. Taeyeon comes back to see the brunette focusing her sight on the wound. She grabs the intern’s hand gently and dry it with tissue paper. She then stares at it for few seconds before she asks, “When’s the last time you get tetanus shot?”

“Y-yes? I’m not sure,” she trails off, eyes glancing at the CFO while Taeyeon frowns at the answer with her eyes still focused on the wound. It should stop bleeding soon, the blonde thought. She daps the wound again and the blood doesn’t come out anymore. She then takes a plaster from the first aid kit to apply it on the intern’s finger.

“You can come after lunch tomorrow, get your shot in the morning,” the CFO looks up to her before she divert her gaze to close the first aid kit. So much for first aid kit, a plaster did it, she sighs.

“O-ok, thank you, Ms.-“

“Did you bring your car?” Taeyeon looks up again.

“No, I use public transport,” Jessica replies.

“I’ll call you a taxi,” the CFO says and she takes out her phone from her pocket even before Jessica can reply.

“No, Ms. Kim, I’m-“ Jessica stops when Taeyeon ignores her and proceeds to tell the taxi service the pick-up venue. She doesn’t get it why she needs to go home with taxi when her finger is punctured; it’s only a tiny wound. 

“I’ll get my bag and your stuffs then we can wait for the taxi at the lobby. Meet me outside the elevator,” the CFO says as she walks ahead of her, returns the first aid kit to the pantry and takes her handbag as well as her employee’s. Jessica smiles when she realizes the cute patterned plaster that the CFO put on her, coincidence or not. Both of them enter the elevator and nobody says anything until Jessica mutters a ‘thank you’ which the CFO replies with her nods. They wait for the taxi in silence and Taeyeon takes her phone to search for the menu for her food delivery while the intern only stares at space, thinking about the extra cost that she needs to pay for the taxi.

When the taxi arrives, the CFO does something that the intern didn’t expect at all. She hands the taxi driver a hundred thousand won through the front door and tells him to drive her back safely before she closes the passenger’s door gently once the brunette enters and walks away. Jessica stares at the figure until it disappears then she tells the driver her address. Who would’ve thought that the CFO can suddenly be so caring? If only she comes in the figure of a charming, well-built man with those ripped abs then Jessica would definitely has a crush on her boss.

Taeyeon bites her lips for few seconds when she’s inside her Audi; she isn’t sure that her action several minute ago was the right one. Will she still respect me or will she take advantage of my kindness? I should’ve just let her go home with bus or train, she sighs. Why was I so concerned about her anyway? Is it because of- no, Taeyeon, she has left. Stop thinking about her. Regretting her decision, she speeds up and hopes that she can arrive home faster to eat, shower and sleep.


A/N special thx to bumella, tfyiska, sumairah18, aiiyth, nineothree, justordinarysone, jung_soona, jsyj0418, jungthirst, mzlyod

All ur votes making me feel pressured.. the kind of good pressure hahaha really appreciate it guys and all the subscribers and comments :) y'all make me want to update ASAP

50 subscribers for 1st chap!! Thank you guys