False Hope

The Boss

Taeyeon can’t just let the intern go home when the brunette has been spending her time waiting for her. She wonders whether the younger girl is really desperate for surprises that she decided to wait for her. Being a good-hearted person that she is, the CFO asked the intern to have dinner together. She thought that she should at least make sure that the girl was not starving before she dropped her off at her apartment.

“Jessica,” the blonde calls out, eyes glancing at the brunette; both of them have been silent for quite some time.

“Yes, Ms. Kim?”

“Tell me about your other dreams, fantasies, whatever you call it,” the CFO tries to initiate a conversation.

“Hey, don’t tell me you’re going to make fun of them?” the intern pouts, clearly remembers the reason why her mood dropped.

“What? No, I’d never make fun of anyone’s dream,” the older one replies and looks at her as the traffic light turns red. “I was just intrigued because you seemed to be someone who loves those silly romantic stories,” she chuckles and Jessica shifts her gaze to her own lap, feeling shy all of a sudden.

“Well, I like surprises a lot,” the brunette mumbles. “So it’d be great if my future boyfriend can just randomly give me flowers or all of a sudden stand in front of my door, asking me on a date,” she bites her lips and Taeyeon’s glances to the pair of pink lips.

“None of those boys in the past did that?” She asks as her foot steps on the gas pedal.

“One or two did that,” Jessica mumbles. “But even though they did that, I still couldn’t feel those butterflies and I somehow got this feeling that our relationship wouldn’t last, that’s why I decided to just stop seeing them,” she tucks strands of her hair behind her ear before she shifts her gaze to the side window.

“For someone who likes the idea of being in love, you’re quite picky,” Taeyeon chuckles.

“How do you know I like being in love?”

“Based on how you talk?” The older girl glances at her. “And all your dreams are about love, you can tell me about how many cats you want to have or-“

“Cats? Why cats?” The brunette snaps her head to the blonde’s direction.

“You look like someone who’d have cats as pets,” the CFO replies naturally. “Am I wrong?”

“No, I love cats,” Jessica replies in a heartbeat and Taeyeon scoffs in amusement. “Hey, don’t laugh at me,” she whines but the older girl only looks her in the eyes before she shifts her gaze back to the road and smiles. How come the CFO can’t realize that her action keeps on making the intern’s heart skipping a beat? The brunette has to look to her side just so that she can hide her blushing face from her boss. The CFO’s gaze is definitely something. For the first time after so long, she feels butterflies in her stomach and it’s not because of a random good looking, tall guy with his hot body but because of her boss, a short woman with her mesmerizing onyx eyes and dazzling smile.

The brunette sighs internally when she knows her apartment is near, time to part with her boss. She can only see the latter three days from now. Who the hell made Saturday a not working day? She scowls. When the car reaches the lobby, she sighs before she unbuckles her seatbelt.

“Thank you for driving me home, Ms. Kim,” the brunette smiles as she opens the door.

“Take care, Jessica,” the boss shifts her gaze to her.

“See you on Monday, Ms.-“

“Taeyeon,” the CFO mutters and Jessica looks at her. “You can call me Taeyeon when we’re alone, I don’t mind,” she smiles and the brunette feels like time has stopped. This is a very pleasant surprise for her, never would she think that this moment will come so soon. “Aren’t you getting out?” she tilts her head a bit, feeling confused of why the intern is still inside the car when moments ago she was prepared to leave. “Jessica? Is there something wrong?” she looks at her worriedly.

“N-no, I was just shocked,” the brunette bites her lips. “See you, Taeyeon!” She pecks her boss’ cheek before she rushes outside, leaving Taeyeon dumbfounded. The older girl stares at the disappearing figure as her hand moves to the cheek that the intern just pecked few seconds ago. She smiles at her antic before she unbuckles her own seatbelt to reach out for the passenger’s door; the younger girl forgot to close it. She goes home with a smile plastered on her face.

Meanwhile, the brunette curses herself when she walks away from the car. What if she fires me for doing inappropriate stuffs, Jessica smacks her forehead, not caring the way how people look weirdly at her. But then she doesn’t have a proof so I can deny it! I won’t let Ms. Kim, I mean Taeyeon, to fire me. Sigh, Taeyeon. I can say your name all day long and I won’t get tired of it.

 

Taeyeon...

 

Taeyeon…

 

Taeyeon…

Can’t you hear me? Can’t you tell how perfect it is when I’m the one who’s calling your name so lovingly and- and- god, I sound too obsessed, Jessica bites her lower lips to hide her smile and hits her forehead gently with her phone a few times. She feels her heart pounding, her knees getting weak and of course, her stomach churning. Must be the butterflies! She sheepishly smiles and squeals internally.

+++

Taeyeon wakes up in the middle of the night due to a dream that she had; her past starts haunting her back. She sits up on her bed and lets out a long exhale. She clenches her jaw before she bites her lower lip until she finds it painful. In her nightmare, she met the one who broke her heart. The girl who made her hates clingy and overly sensitive people. The brunette who threw her away once she got a boyfriend. Her former best friend slash first love. Someone she didn’t introduce to her family as a person that she likes.

The CFO rubs her temple and she shifts her gaze from the wall to her own palm; she frowns when she sees nails marking on them. She clenched her fists too tight in her dream, it turned out that her body really did it. The dream somehow only comes when she starts to like someone, as if she is cursed to be in pain for liking someone else. At that moment she knows that she really is attracted to the intern, she can’t deny it anymore.

She lets out a long exhale and walks to the kitchen to pour herself a glass of milk; it usually helps her to sleep. She then lies down on the couch and closes her eyes. Her lips start to form a small smile when she remembers the intern, the kiss, but they turn to a frown when her mind drifts back to another brunette from her past. How come someone from twelve years ago still have this effect on her? As much as she wants to hate her, she can’t; both of them had their happy moments too. She wonders how the girl is doing, is she happy?

When she knows that she won’t be able to sleep any time soon, she takes her laptop from her room and places it on the couch; she would rather spend her time doing work than thinking about love. Work can’t hurt her but love can, tremendously. Her workaholic attitude started when she fell in love with her first love. She wanted to give her all the finer things in life, in hope that with money and her affection, her former best friend wouldn’t stray. Unfortunately, she was too late; her first love had become someone else’s girlfriend. I shouldn’t have gone to the US and maybe, I could still keep her by my side, she grits on her teeth.

Taeyeon slams down her laptop screen and lets out a long frustrated exhale. She walks back to her room to take her phone from the nightstand and dials a number. Honestly she doesn’t know whether the girl has changed her number or not, but today, she just wants to try; she misses her voice too much. After a few rings, she ends it. What am I supposed to say anyway? She sighs. Twelve years is a very long time. I should move on and forget about her completely. I need to focus with my own life: the company, my dad who’s getting older and maybe- maybe my relationship with Jessica? Is she ok with the idea of being in a relationship with a woman instead of man? Is she attracted to me as much as I am to her?

 

Is she the right one for me?

+++

Jessica isn’t sure whether her eyes are playing tricks on her or the CFO really looks lethargic. She wants to go to her office just to ask her on how she is doing but what excuse would she say if the others ask? Oh! The report! The brunette bites her lips to hide her smile. She knocks on her door and she goes in after hearing a ‘come in’. She is greeted by the sight of her boss twirling her pen and looking at her computer screen.

“Yes? Do you need anything?” Taeyeon asks as her sight shifts to the brunette.

“I- just now, I- are you ok?” Jessica mumbles and the CFO squints her eyes at her, not understanding what she says.

“What do you mean?” the blonde’s eyebrows furrow and the intern sees how her boss clenches her jaw and lets it go a split second after. Is she angry be-because of the kiss? The brunette gulps the lump on and looks down to her feet. Am I going to get fired? “Jessica, I don’t have all the time in this world to wait for you. I got a lot of things to do,” she continues and she notices how the intern starts to fiddle with her fingers. This makes her sigh and the look in her eyes soften. “Why-“

“Am I going to get fired?” Jessica bites her lower lip and looks up.

“Wha- why? Do you want to?” Taeyeon’s head tilted to the side and she frowns, not getting why the intern should be fired. Of course, she did glance to the pair of pink lips. Since when does the intern’s lips look so tempting to her?

“I- you know, I kissed you,” the intern mutters quietly and the boss automatically shifts her gaze away from her and blinks repeatedly, as if not believing what the younger girl just said.

“You pecked my cheek, yes. You did that,” the older girl replies, eyes staring back at the younger girl. “But I won’t fire you because-“

“I feel like I harassed you?”

“What?” Taeyeon chuckles and looks at her weirdly. “You-“ she pauses and sigh, still the smile plastered on her face. “Don’t worry about that, I have forgotten about it until you mentioned just now actually,” she continues, eyes not leaving the younger girl. Her workload today made her forget about it. Hearing those words make Jessica feel sad; the CFO doesn’t think about the peck, at all. The blonde sees how the brunette’s eyes suddenly reflect sadness and she wonders why. “Oh- just now you asked me whether I was ok. I’m perfectly fine,”

“O-oh, is that so?” the intern gives her a small smile while the boss only nods at the question. “Well, you looked lethargic so I thought you were sick,” she trails off. “I was worried about you,” she mumbles, eyes looking down to her feet again. If only she didn’t shift her gaze, she would’ve seen how Taeyeon’s lips form a small smile. The older girl doesn’t know why but hearing the younger one worrying about her makes her feel happy; she didn’t even feel this way when her past boyfriends said the same thing, at least that’s what she remembered. Must be because I like her, she thought. “W-well, if you’re ok then I’ll be leaving, Ms. Kim,” she bows slightly to her boss but she stops on her tracks when she hears a reply.

“Jessica, do you have any plans after work?”

“Y-yes? N-no, I’m free,” the intern turns back to look at her boss. Is she asking me for a date? She squeals internally. Dinner date would even be fine!

“Great! I’ll talk to you about the report later, just come to my office at 5,” Taeyeon mutters while Jessica is sure that she heard the sound of her heart breaking; her boss just gave her a false hope.


A/N special thanks to soshi09080507, FMLxFML, jisellediosa, hoihung, dntfym for the vote!! And y'all who has susbscribed and comments!! Y'all make me want to update faster and faster :)

Spoiler:

 

What do they usually hv after work hours? Hmm.. what is it..