Unexpected

The Boss

The next day, Junhyuk comes to the brunette as soon as he sees her to ask the reason why she comes late. She agrees to give him her number so that in the future, he can contact her easily. She sighs when she realizes that there’s still a couple of folder from the CFO’s box and several other folders from Sooyoung’s box. However, when she sees a pink colored post it attach to a pile of document, she feels her shoulder slumps;

Make financial report for Feb & March 2017, submit it by Monday

Not knowing what to do or how the format looks like for the report, she asks help from Junhyuk. If only she knew that her boss changed the 2 years report to 2 months, she would definitely feel more than glad. The CFO still has some compassion and the blonde is aware that doing two annual reports in 3 days is impossible. She doesn’t want people to think that she’s being biased. Just because she doesn’t like the brunette, doesn’t mean that she will not work professionally.

Taeyeon peeks through her window blinds and notice that Jessica is already around, laughing with another co-worker. Her lips turn into a straight line before she sits back on her chair and continues with her job. She rechecks the file that she will present to her brother in thirty minutes time and she sips on her tea; she actually prefers tea to coffee, especially if it’s Chamomile. Chamomile soothes her mind.

When her heels click against the floor, the employees greets her and she replies with nods and waves, signaling them to get back to work. Unfortunately, someone stumbles a little and spills her drink all over her shirt.

“Sorry! I’m- Ms. Kim,” the girl trails off and her hand grips on the now not-full cup.

“Ms. Jung,” Taeyeon grits her teeth in annoyance when the hot drink pours over her blazer. She wonders why the same thing must repeat all over again. She sighs before she looks down to her blazer and takes it off. Lucky I buttoned it or it would have scalded my skin, she thought. She stares at the intern for few seconds before she walks back to her office to get her spare blazer. When she gets out of her room, the brunette shifts her gaze from the floor to her and apologize again with a ninety degrees bow. Seeing this, Taeyeon places one hand on the intern’s shoulder and pushes her slightly to make way. She doesn’t have time for this nonsense, she’s late to meet up with the CEO.

When the CFO enters the elevator, Junhyuk and Key rush up to her asking her whether she is ok while other employees turn their gaze at them. She replies them with a fake smile and tells them that she was just shocked at what happened. Junhyuk ruffles her hair which earns a soft whine from the intern and he smiles; he wants people to know that he’s interested in her. Key makes a disgusted face his old friend’s action and this makes Jessica blushes. They walk back to their respective cubicles and the other employees get back to their job. The accident makes Jessica more determined to finish the reports the CFO has requested as an apology for the latter.

When Taeyeon comes back around 7.30 p.m. from her brother’s office, she notices that the intern is still busy typing something by the sound of the keyboard and she walks to her cubicle. Realizing that there’s someone approaching, Jessica looks back at the source of the sound and find her boss looking at her.

“Ms. Kim!” She stands up and give her a bow. “I’m really sorry for what happened-“

“Did anyone tell you to stay after office hours?” The CFO cuts her and leans her body to the wall of the cubicle.

“N-no?”

“Then? Why are you staying?” The blonde furrow her eyebrows slightly.

“I- I just thought that the sooner I finish my job, the better it is,” Jessica mutters, eyes looking straight at the CFO.

“Of course it is but I want them to be submitted by three days from now, Ms. Jung. You have enough time, you can’t just rush these kind of thing and end up not doing it properly,” the older girl sighs. “Take a rest, I’m checking your work,” she states and Jessica’s eyes widen at the sudden inspection. She was only done with a few weeks report and she didn’t re-check the report at all.

“B-but I’m-“ the brunette pauses when she sees the CFO drags a chair from the cubicle next to her and brings it inside. “I don’t think that-“

“If you don’t want to rest then sit down and listen to me,” Taeyeon mutters, eyes glancing at the intern. She ignores Jessica’s reply and starts to read the report. She frowns when she knows it’s not in the usual format that their company uses. “Did you ask anyone for help? And the reference for the format?”

“I asked Junhyuk oppa, I mean Mr. Lee for the format,” she replies, unaware of the twitch in Taeyeon’s left eyebrow when she mentioned the word ‘oppa’.

“Then why is it not yet in the format that the company use?” The CFO looks at the intern and finds her biting her lips which makes her glances down for a split second to the pair of thin pink lips.

“I was thinking of formatting it after I’m done with the content,” Jessica replies and Taeyeon has to hold back the urge to roll her eyes at the intern.

“That would mean that you’re doing it twice, it’s not efficient at all,” the blonde sighs. “I don’t even want to read this thing with the messy format, it tires me out,” she pauses. “I bet you’re tired too, go home and come back tomorrow with a fresh mind,” she stands up. “Don’t fall asleep like yesterday,”

“Y-yes, Ms. Kim,” Jessica replies with her face slightly flushed. She hears nothing as a reply except for the dragging of the chair to its original position and her boss’ heels clicking against the floor. She saves the file in the computer and starts to pack her belongings before she switches off the light and walk to the elevator. At the same time, Taeyeon walks to the elevator as well, eyes focused on her phone and Jessica notices for the first time the sharp jawline that her boss has. The intern waits for her boss to enter the elevator before she presses on the buttons of the designated floor for the CFO and herself. When the elevator reaches the Ground floor, Jessica exits after saying ‘goodbye’ to her boss but Taeyeon seems to be someone with a lot of surprises. The boss mutters a ‘have a goodnight, take care’ before the door closes, leaving Jessica stunned at the unexpected action.

Being the hopeless romantic that she is, Jessica fails to sleep at night due to her boss’ actions. She just can’t get over her boss hot and cold attitude that does make her feel something; something that she hasn’t felt for quite some time. When she remembers how mesmerizing those onyx eyes when worry was etched on her face, she squeals to her pillow. She cups her own cheek and finds them hot for a reason and she knows that she is blushing.

Taeyeon for the first time after so long, thinks of someone that is not her family at night; the intern. She likes it that Jessica puts on effort on her work but she frowns at the same time; making her quit would be difficult. She sighs and hugs her pillow tight on her chest. Her mind travels to a certain brunette that she knew well long time ago. The stapler accident made her remember the existence of the certain tall brunette that she missed. Someone she tried so hard to forget, someone who took the best of her and left her like she was nothing. Maybe it was my fault too, if I didn’t stop trying that time, maybe we’d still be in touch, she thought. She grabs her phone on the nightstand and opened the contact list, her thumb hovers over the call button for a few seconds before she presses on the power button instead to switch it off.

In the morning, the CFO wakes up with a sour mood; she didn’t have enough sleep because of thinking of a certain brunette, not Jessica, but the other one. She ended up doing her work on her bed and woke up with her body sitting in an awkward position. She sighs at the pain all over her upper body and stretched a bit. She groans when her bone cracks and she scowls; she hopes that today nobody will mess with her. She doesn’t have the mood for that.

During lunch break, she exits her office only to hear the sound of Jessica’s laughter while she smacks on Junhyuk’s arm. She stares at the intern for a while before Sooyoung’s greeting divert her attention. She tells her a few things that the subordinate needs to do before entering the elevator; she promised her brother to have lunch together.

After the CFO enters the elevator, Sooyung comes up to her friend, Junhyuk, and tells both of them what happened. He looks at her with his surprised look and nods at the information he just received while Jessica looks at her and blinks her eyes repeatedly. She knew that the boss has always been that confusing. Junhyuk is aware that her boss likes peaceful and ordered atmosphere so much so he decides to tone down his teasing during work time; he doesn’t want the intern to be scolded. After the talk, he calls Key to join them and they gossip about their boss’ weird behavior together with Jessica. She isn’t sure whether she should feel happy that they treat her well or feel bad for the boss to have her employees gossiping about her. However, people do talk, right? If you don’t want people to talk about you then you should give them nothing to talk about.

+++

“I heard that the new intern in your department is hot,” Jaewook starts the conversation after they’re done ordering and Taeyeon looks at him in disbelief. “Who is it again? Something Jung?”

“How do you know?”

“Oh, so she is hot. You didn’t deny it,” he smirks and sips on his drink.

“She’s ok,” she replies. “She’s the girl who spilled her ice coffee on me,”

“What?” He looks at her wide eyes. “And you don’t fire her yet?”

“Hey, I’m professional, ok? I don’t mix personal affair with business, brother,” she scowls and he chuckles. “But I did write a plan to make her quit,” her turn to chuckle and he laughs.

“Send her to me, I need someone who looks fresh to-“

“You need someone for you to undress,” the CFO scoffs. “I’m not giving her to you,”

“Wow, so possessive,” he raises an eyebrow and chuckles while Taeyeon diverts her gaze from her brother. “She’s what? Twenty? Twenty one?”

“Twenty one, graduating this year,” she mutters. “She’s too young, don’t play around with her,” she looks up to her brother and finds him smirking. “What?”

“You read her file,”

“I did,” she nods. “Why are we talking about her?”

“Because I saw her once and those office clothes can’t really hide her curves, you know, and have you seen her smile? God, she made me want to just run to her to ask her number,” he shakes his head, smiling. “Should I ask for-“

“Don’t,” Taeyeon cuts him. “She’s a lot younger than you, oppa,” she frowns. “She-“

“That’s the point! A lot younger would mean better energy in bed, Tae-“

“Yah,” she growls and glares at him. “You’re disgusting,” she scowls and he chuckles.

“But really, if you don’t want her, just give her to me. She can be my private assistant,” he wiggles his eyebrows and she snorts at him before shaking her head. She knows that her brother has eyes for much younger girls but of course, not minors. She doesn’t know why but she just doesn’t want to give Jessica away. Maybe because she has the potential to succeed in business despite her clumsiness, she thought.

+++

Taeyeon sighs when she is about to go back home. She walks to the intern’s cubicle and finds the brunette’s fingers rest on her keyboard. Maybe it’s because of her sneakers so the younger girl didn’t hear her footsteps. She stands behind the intern for quite some time as she squints her eyes and looks at the screen. Her lips are pursed together in a straight line when she notices the head in front of her bobs up and down. She’s falling asleep again, Taeyeon thought. The CFO gently taps on her shoulder only to receive a reply she wasn’t expecting.

“Go away,” the intern swats her hands from her shoulder and this makes Taeyeon quirks an eyebrow. She walks towards her side and starts tapping the shoulder again only to receive the same reply. Sighing, she taps the shoulder with more effort.

“Ms. Jung, go home,” she mutters and Jessica suddenly opens her eyes. Her brain somehow manages to register the certain tone that the CFO uses when she calls her name. “Finally,” she sighs while the intern slowly turns her head to the CFO and smiles awkwardly.

“I’m sorry, I fell asleep,” she trails off.

“I know,” Taeyeon replies. “Pack up fast, I’m waiting for you at the elevator,” she says before leaving the younger girl. She has been waiting for more than a minute before she hears the sounds of someone running with her heels. She mentally prays so that the intern will not fall and causes more problems. This time her prayer is answered. The ride in the elevator is silent until the sound of stomach growling breaks it. Jessica clutches her stomach in reflect while Taeyeon looks to her left.

“Didn’t you eat dinner?” the CFO asks.

“N-no, I wanted to finish the report faster so I-“ she pauses when she sees the boss presses the button of the ‘G’ floor for few seconds, making the elevator to go straight to the basement. “Ms. Kim, my-“

“You’re eating with me, I’m hungry,” the blonde casually replies.


A/N special thanks to Mj1234, Outtie11, iocssacras, SNSD_OT9, taeny39, Marjie for the vote!! and also all of you who subscribe and comments! I told you that I'd update faster so there you go :)