CHAPTER 42

FOUR

Although Lisa slept very late last night, she still managed to wake up early in the morning with that familiar smile on her face. It has been a long time since that genuine and sincere smile drew on her lovely lips. She missed it, she missed her old self. That she was very thankful when she finally had the feeling of smiling and being happy again.

She quickly got up from her bed and headed straightly to her bathroom, humming a random happy tune as she went under her shower and took a bath. After about twenty minutes of happily indulging herself into the nice water, she went to her closet and picked an outfit. She decided on a simple black shirt tucked in her black shorts and paired with her denim jacket.

 Then she went to her mirror to put on light make–up and fix her hair smiling contently at herself when she was done. She then grabbed her carry–on luggage and started packing all the stuff she needed with her for her flight back to Korea was scheduled later.

When she heard Jennie said that she should come back quickly because their Jisoo unnie needed them, she hurriedly went to her laptop and booked her flight back to Korea that was scheduled tonight. Though Jennie hadn’t been specific to the reason why Jisoo needed them, she still had the urgency to come back. She sensed something was wrong judging by Jennie’s sobbing through the phone, knowing her she wouldn’t easily cry over things unless it was deeply hurting her.

After that, she lied down on her bed but couldn’t find the sleepiness because of the curiosity she was feeling after the phone call that she texted Rose what was wrong. But Rose only told her that Jisoo was rushed in the hospital, she asked why but Rose didn’t reply back anymore.

That she just decided to force herself to sleep. She’ll be with them again in a just a matter of hours anyway. She went back on packing her stuff and just waited what would possibly happen later. 

The smile on her face wouldn’t fade even though she was busy figuring out the things she would pack and bring with her. Regarding the last night’s event, she thought it would be the end of her happy and colorful life but turned out, she was wrong…

“Ten, your fiancé,” her father introduced to her the younger man in front of her. She stared at him in awe as the said male just looked back at her with a blank expression on his face. It clearly said that the man wasn’t interested in her at all.

Lisa scoffed inwardly as she just felt the same way towards him, she wasn’t interested at him too, she was just forced to be here and be tied with him. But remembering the words of her father before they entered the room, she forced out a small smile and held out her hand in front of him, asking for a handshake.

“Lisa,” she simply said while giving her hand out that made the guy’s father to smile wider in anticipation, obviously excited about the interaction between the both of them.

When he saw his son just staring blankly at the lady, he nudged him secretly and whispered, “Hey, be nice,” he told him making the young man roll his eyes from him much to Lisa’s annoyance.

Ten gave out a sigh and turned back to Lisa then shook her hand lightly, “Ten,” he said with his baritone voice, not even a slightest shade of joy in meeting a beautiful lady was evident in his tone. Lisa retracted her hand even before he could as she really disliked the feeling of it.

She glanced at her father secretly and saw that her father was seriously staring at the said man who was her fiancé, like he was judging him and scrutinizing him. That cold familiar expression on her father’s face was back that oddly made her comfortable somehow despite the situation. She looked away from him and just shrugged, she was feeling weird.

Then Ten’s father cleared his throat and spoke to lighten the quite tensed air as he also saw how her father looked at his son, “Ah, let’s call for the waiter and order the food, shall we?” he asked with his still bright smile then pressed a small button on the corner of the table and not long after a waiter came in holding four menus and gave it to each of them before grabbing his small notepad and pen out ready to list down their orders.

Lisa just carelessly scanned the menu, she wasn’t really in the mood to eat. She knew what this dinner was about and she just wanted it to finish quickly. Though she haven’t eaten anything for that day, she still didn’t have the appetite to eat. She placed the menu down and coincidentally Ten did the same thing that they had an awkward stare at each other again.

He was the first one to look away still in that same stoic face ever since they arrived. Lisa just rolled her eyes from him and just sat there silently as she saw that both of their fathers were taking the initiative to order their food. Her mind was flying away that she felt startled when her father suddenly nudged her lightly, “Lisa, what would you like to eat?” she was stunned.

She didn’t expect her father to ask what she wanted, and care for on what she would like to eat, even it’s just a shallow thing, it still meant a lot for her. But then she forgot about cherishing it when she thought that her father was just probably doing this because they were seated in front of other people. He was keeping a good reputation.

Lisa blinked her eyes rapidly and cleared before answering, “A–anything would be fine…” it was the first words she had told him after their encounter last night that she felt nervous causing her to stutter.

Her father just nodded his head and went back on talking with the waiter, she just looked around the room to entertain herself but she just felt bored easily when there was nothing that interest her. She just looked down at her hands and minutes later the waiter went outside of the room probably done in completing their orders.

The room fell silent again. She knew her father wasn’t very talkative so she didn’t expect a lot. But the atmosphere was getting more and more awkward. She wished someone would start a conversation even if the topic that they might bring up wouldn’t make her feel better. She just wanted for them to talk so that time would be killed and move quickly so this dinner would end already.

As if hearing her prayers, she heard Ten’s father clearing his throat and after a while spoke, “So, it was nice finally seeing the both of you together, and I must say you two looked good together,” Ten’s father said with a laugh but his laugh turned to be a forced one just to lighten up the mood, and as she expected, she loathed everything that just came out of his mouth.

Even her father didn’t laugh with him, that now she was starting to question herself if they were really good friends or if their relationship was just pure business, and she concluded that the second one was more correct than the first one. She glanced at Ten and saw him smile sarcastically making his father hiss at him silently probably getting irritated at his son’s behavior.

She saw Ten frown again when his father hissed at him. She sensed that he was feeling the same way as her, just wanted for this night to end immediately. There’s no doubt in that. And it made her think if maybe she could talk to him and ask him to team up with her so their wedding would be cancel and both of them would be free.

But her plan wasn’t one hundred percent sure that it would work. Just her plan on talking with him seemed to fail immediately because Ten wasn’t giving her a friendly vibe or anything, his aura was dark towards her. But then, she didn’t give up and kept on thinking of something. There must be something…

“I know, but your son doesn’t looked very pleased in meeting my daughter,” she heard her father say, stating the obvious, making her head shot up and looked at him. It’s been a while since she heard him call her his daughter, ‘My Daughter’, he said and she admit that it was nice to hear it. (HOBI: My dowter~)

Ten’s father laughed nervously and secretly slapped his son’s thigh making Ten yelp a little, “Ahaha, I’m sorry about that, my son was just uncomfortable in meeting new people,” he said and Lisa could swore she saw the old man sigh in relief when the door opened revealing two waiters carrying the trays of their food, it seemed like the old man felt like he was saved by the bell.

It didn’t go unnoticed by her father, though he just nodded his head and turned his attention to the waiters serving their food. Not long after, they started eating and Lisa was once again stunned when her father firstly put food on her plate before on his own with the occasional asking of, “Here, do you want this?”

Lisa could only just nod for she was too surprised to even utter a word. She felt weird and odd but inside, she was loving this feeling, her father taking care of her. Then after serving her food, her father proceeded on putting food on his own plate. Lisa stared for a little while then looked away and focused on her food. And she didn’t know why but she felt like eating all of a sudden.

They started eating in silence only the sound of their utensils hitting their plate was heard in the room. Not until Ten’s father spoke again, he surely liked to talk a lot, Lisa thought, “So, when is the wedding?” he asked still with his smile, obviously excited by the time of their merging, for the businesses would be merged too.

“You could decide on that,” her father answered with a small smile making Ten’s father more excited.

“Oh, is that right? So… Will it be fine in two weeks’ time?” Lisa and Ten went frozen, their hands stopped on moving upon hearing it. They didn’t expect it to be that fast, “I think that would be fine you know. Tomorrow Lisa could go to the gown maker, then Ten on the suit or he could just rent a suit, then the next day, food tasting and reception hunting, then organizing the whole wedding, and other things that should be organized to have this wedding successful, so what do you say?” he further proposed on Lisa’s father that had his eyebrow raised all the time he was talking.

“I guess there’s no problem with that,” he simply said and they were all suddenly startled when Ten slammed his hand on their table then turned to both of their fathers who were already staring at him in shock but Lisa’s father was glaring at him.

“Isn’t that a little too fast? Are you two that excited for us to be married? Are you two that desperate to merge the businesses and feed all your personal greed?” Ten told them, his voice was completely screaming disapproval on all of their plans. Lisa looked at him in total amusement, she was totally loving the words that were coming out of his mouth right now. They were on the same both, indeed.

“Ten, watch your words,” his father told him trying to hold in his temper but Ten didn’t back away and continued saying what he wanted to say.

“Look, we were just forced in this marriage so won’t you mind if you take things slow at least? We don’t even know each other! I don’t even know her! I don’t know her personality, I don’t know if she would really fit me, I don’t know if she’s kind or whatever,” he scoffed then crossed his arms on his chest, “And she’s not that even pretty.”

Lisa was about to talk back for he was senselessly involving her looks but she was once again stunned for the nth time that night when her father abruptly stood up from his seat and lashed out on Ten, “How dare you insult my daughter like that!”

Ten just smirked impolitely again making his father sink in his seat in humiliation because of the behavior he was showing right now, “You are one disrespectful young man! How would I be sure if you will respect my daughter when you can’t even respect the elderly in front of you! Shame on you, I’m so disappointed, I won’t leave my daughter in your hands!” Mr. Manoban shouted angrily. Lisa couldn’t do anything but to watch her father in amusement as it defended her.

But the last thing he said caught everyone’s attention especially Ten’s father who looked at her father nervously and asked him for confirmation, stuttering, “W–what d–do y–you mean by that… my friend?”

Lisa’s father sharply turned his attention to the old man and answered in his strict, intimidating voice that was full of authority, “I am calling this wedding off!” while motioning his hand in a straight way as he said the word off. He then looked at Lisa, “We’re leaving,” he said then walked out of the room not even waiting for her.

Lisa blinked rapidly waking up from her trance, she couldn’t believe all of this were happening right now. Realizing what her father had said, she quickly stood up and slang her bag on her shoulder then bowed lightly to Ten and his father lightly before going, and she swore she saw Ten smiling widely at her before she went completely out of the room.

She fastened her pace to catch up with her father, but she stopped midway when she heard someone calling for her, “Miss Manoban!” she turned around and saw Ten running after her.

She stopped walking and faced him with a questioning look, “I’m sorry for what I said about earlier, I just had the strong need to do that and I know you too wanted it, so,” he then held out his hand in front of her for a now more proper handshake, “Congratulations to our freedom?” he asked with a warm smile.

Lisa gladly took his hand and shook it with a wide smile on her face, she felt really glad that all of this happened, it was too overwhelming, “It was okay, thank you for doing this, I’m really really thankful that we were on the same page after all. And yes, congratulations to our freedom!” she told him making him chuckle.

They let go of each other’s hand, “So, I’ll see you when I see you?” Ten asked, “Friends?”

Lisa nodded happily, “Friends!” they hugged lightly before Ten went back to the room and Lisa went to where her father was.

She saw him on outside just at the driveway probably already waiting for their car, she approached him in hopes of talking properly with him, “Dad–”

“We’ll talk later,” he told her without looking at her. Lisa just nodded and just after some minutes, their car arrived in front of them drove by the valet. Her father quickly went in the driver’s seat as she also went inside quickly.

Her father started driving their way home, silence surrounded the whole car again that Lisa just focused on looking outside the window. But she suddenly noticed that they were slowing down, then their car was parked on the side of the road as her father the hazard.

She glanced at him and saw him gave out a sigh, “I’m sorry…” she heard her father say, his voice was low and sincerity was clearly evident. She didn’t see this coming that it made her silent and just watch her father, speechless.

“You were right, I wasn’t a good father to you, I was selfish, unfair, and cruel… I’m sorry… I just felt extremely bad when I heard that you were leaving our home and be far away from us too like your sister… It’s just that when your older sister left us for America, I already felt sad and wished that you wouldn’t leave us… I just want you to stay with us, with me and your mom… Because the both of you are our princesses, we didn’t have anything much aside from the two of you… I could let go of this business just to have the both of you in our arms… I just missed my daughter so much… And I guess I was bad at expressing it,” he let out a sad chuckle, “Judging by what happened last night, and all the words you had told me, clearly, I was bad at expressing how much I missed my daughter… I thought marrying you off would make you stay in Thailand again, but, yeah you would stay, but you’ll hate your father forever…”

“Dad, I’m sorry–”

“Sshh… Don’t be… This old man doesn’t deserve those words… This old man should be the one who should say those to you because you deserved it more than I do… I’m sorry my daughter…”

Lisa took off her seatbelt and moved closer to her father and hugged him sideways, “Dad…” she heard her father let out a small chuckle and hugged her back as he soothed her hair with full care and affection before kissing the top of her head.

“Forgive me, my princess…”

“Of course I forgive you!” Lisa exclaimed making her father laugh again, “You should’ve just told me you missed me then none of this have to happen,” she whined as she wiped the tears away from her face.

“Yes, it won’t happen again,” her father told her with an assuring smile and hugged his daughter again.

Lisa let out a satisfied smile as she finished packing her stuff. She then grabbed her sling bag that had her passport, phone and all before coming down the stairs and prepare to leave.

She saw her father already waiting for her in their living room for he promised her that he’ll drive her to the airport that day, and he wouldn’t take no as an answer. He even skipped work just to see her off the country.

“You ready to go?” he asked with a smile then grabbed her carry–on luggage from her, Lisa nodded then went to her mom and hugged her tightly as a good bye. After that she saw Lily by the door and also hugged her, she also apologized for being mean to her during her whole stay there, Lily patted her back lightly and forgave her immediately.

After that, she and her father went to their car and hopped inside. Her father started driving their way to the airport, while they talk about random stuff making the atmosphere around them more comfortable now than before.

They arrived in the airport, his father still insisted that he would her inside. She couldn’t do anything but to agree since her father was too persistent. When they reached the departure area, Lisa faced her father and grabbed her luggage from his hand and thanked him.

Her father spread out his arms asking for a hug that she gladly gave with a chuckle, “Thank you dad, thank you so much!” she whispered while they were hugging.

“Anything for my princess,” her father said then pulled her from him, “Got everything you need?” he asked like she was still a child.

Lisa laughed a little but nodded as an answer, “Okay, go there, and reach your dreams, don’t go home unless you reached it, okay?!” he told her strictly.

Lisa nodded her head in agreement, and hugged him again before waving goodbye and went inside to board on the plane. Her father kept on waving at her while shouting a lot of ‘take cares’ as she walked away from him, she chuckled as she couldn’t believe that her father would be this hyper when things are alright.

She went on the plane and look for her seat, once she found it, she settled herself comfortably and breathed out a smile. She just can’t wait to be back.