CHAPTER 38

FOUR

The boys were just chilling at their house, lazing around their living room, currently in their own worlds. Taehyung was lying on the small sofa located beside their window. Jin was sitting on his ‘grandpa couch’, as his younger friends addressed his single sofa that could also be a rocking chair, staring at his phone reading some novel. Jungkook was lying on the couch that was in front of their television playing some games on his phone. While Jimin turned off their television as he noticed that no one’s watching anyway.

He looked around to check on his friends. He sighed in dismay as he figured nothing has changed. They were still as lifeless as ever. Just like Rose, he also tried to cheer them up by offering them to do something they enjoyed all together, like playing basketball, playing video games on their TV, hitting the arcade, or simply eat out and order every food that they want. But all of that was rejected much to his disappointment.

He looked at Taehyung and saw that he was sleeping but he sensed that he just had his eyes closed thinking about something, and he already knew what that’s about. He turned to Jin and saw him focused on his phone, he sensed that he was reading because he knew his eldest friend likes to read, but he knew better than that, he’s just distracting himself from all his problems. He watched Jungkook playing with his phone, but he knew he’s just doing it to kill some time and just like their hyung, distracting himself, keeping himself busy. He knew he wasn’t enjoying the game cause knowing Jungkook he would’ve been yelling loudly when he lose, and jumping around when he won.

He let out a deep sigh sadly. Their house was so dreadfully peaceful and boring, it was as silent as the library or maybe the library could have been noisier at some point. It has been like that for a week. He hoped that in just days, everything would go the way they wanted it to be but turned out he had his hopes up too high. He felt terribly bad for his friends. It hurt him to see them so problematic. They used to be always full of life and energy but became the complete opposite just because of one night. Cannot handle the deafening silence anymore, Jimin went back to their home theater and their Bluetooth speaker, connecting his phone.

After that, he went to the other single sofa and settled himself on it, then played whatever song before he closed his eyes trying to relax himself.

Jungkook stopped playing for a moment hearing the song was by his favorite foreign artist. He sang along to it flawlessly as it was his favorite, but stopped midway when he realized something…

I gave you everything, baby
everything I had to give
Girl, why would you push me away, yeah?
Lost in confusion, like an illusion
you know I'm used to making your day

He realized the song just described the whole situation he was experiencing for a week now. He was sure he gave everything that he thought Lisa deserved, he gave everything that would make her happy, and contented. He gave her his time, his effort, his love… But still she pushed him away so suddenly without saying anything. One week had passed, but no matter how hard he knocked his head for possible reasons why would she broke up with him, nothing came up. Totally leaving him in confusion. He tried calling and texting her but nothing came back to him. Nothing…

The memories of the times when Lisa was smiling so brightly and thanking him countless times because of him, because she said he made her day extra wonderful and all, because she appreciated them, came back to him like a flood, making him smile unconsciously…

But that is the past now
we didn't last now
I guess that this is meant to be, yeah

His smile slowly faded realizing that all of that was in the past now already, their relationship didn’t even last a year and it ended so soon like a flash. Making him question himself if that’s how it really should be…

There's nothing like us
there’s nothing like you and me

In his mind, nothing could ever replace Lisa in his life, nothing could ever make him feel like the way Lisa did, he won’t ever find something like that again… Feeling that his eyes were starting to get watery, he quickly turned to his Jimin hyung and nudged him, “Jimin hyung,” he called out.

That Jimin just responded with a simple, “Hmm?” without opening his eyes.

“Change the song,” he ordered that made Jimin open his eyes abruptly and looked at him.

“But that’s Justin Bieber sunbaenim,” Jimin answered confusedly, knowing Jungkook he wouldn’t skip a Bieber song for it was his ultimate idol.

“Just change it,” Jungkook simply said then turned back to his game ignoring his hyung’s questioning look. But Jimin just sighed in defeat and fetched his phone out and tapped the next button on his phone before coming back to his relaxing state.

I won't lie to you
I know he's just not right for you

Jin stared at the speaker when he heard the intro of the song. It was his first time hearing it but the first line of the song really caught him. It reminded him of the times when he first courted Jisoo. Knowing what happened on her past relationship, he did everything just to earn her trust, and that was his all time promise to her, “I won’t lie to you.” He did earn her trust but it was his trust on her that was shattered. He’s so sure in himself that Jinyoung doesn’t deserve her but still… She chose him over him…

I know I can treat you better than he can
and any girl like you deserves a gentleman

He did everything to prove that he treated her like how a man should treat a woman. He took her out on proper dates. He respected her, even all the decisions that she made for their relationship that led him to wait for a year. He gave her time to think, he waited patiently, he didn’t pressure her about anything or everything. He gave her everything that he thought she deserved, he cared for her, loved her, appreciated her. He knew he would be always treating her better than him, than anyone else. But still she chose Jinyoung over him…

Give me a sign
take my hand, we'll be fine
Promise I won't let you down

He knew he was clear on proving himself that he would never ever do what Jinyoung had done to her, he would do anything to make her happy and pleased, he did and said everything to her just to let her know that he would never let her down but she didn’t take his hand and wasted the whole year they spent building up their relationship.

Jin sighed at the thought, at the sad truth he was facing. He saw Jisoo taking every chance that she had in hopes of talking and be with him at their school, but he blew all of that away as his mind was still clouded with pure anger and disappointment.

Feeling that the song was taking a serious toll on him, he grabbed his slipper on the floor and threw it on Jimin’s leg, getting his attention, “Yah, who threw that?!” Jimin exclaimed as he was startled by the sudden hit on his leg.

“Yah, switch the song,” Jin responded seriously, ignoring his whining.

“But the song wasn’t done yet,” Jimin complained.

“I don’t care, switch it,” Jin said bluntly then turned to his reading again. Jimin couldn’t do anything but to obey and scroll back on his library.

“Aish, these people doesn’t have any tastes in music,” he mumbled to himself then tapped on the song that he liked to listen often when he wanted to relax. When the song started, he went back to relaxing and hoping that he wouldn’t be disturbed this time.

The mellow rock tune of the song boomed through their speakers, it was a new genre in their ears that it made them feel refreshed especially Taehyung, for among the four of them, he was the one who loves to explore different genres of music.

He kept his eyes closed relaxing and enjoying the music, keeping his mind off the problems he had been thinking about so much lately and it’s stressing him out. He thought the song would finally take his mind off of awful things surrounding him but it made him open his eyes slowly when it came to the chorus part, understanding it perfectly.

I’m sorry, I did not mean to hurt my little girl

Those were the words he wanted to say to Jennie when she confronted him that night. Those words wanted to spill out of his mouth that time, but he stopped himself and just stupidly let Jennie cry out all the words that she had been hiding all this time, hurting the both of them. He really didn’t mean to hurt her, it’s just that he was left with no choice, and fate was being selfish to him.

It's beyond me, I cannot carry the weight of the heavy world

It’s beyond his capacity to choose between Jennie and his family. Choosing his family, he thought it was for everyone’s best, but turned out it was different from what he had expected. Jennie understood him, yes, but it didn’t change the fact that it still hurt her so much that she left him that night dumbfounded, not even giving him the chance to explain why he has to let her go aside from saying that Min Jae likes her. He blamed himself for not telling her sooner, he regretted his decision for surprising her like that. Now, it’s hurting the both of them like hell…

Goodnight, hope that things work out all right, yeah

He really hoped during the week, that everything would work out all right. But it was the complete opposite, he thought Jennie would be still giving him attention even just the tiny bit for she said she understood his situation, yet his heart completely broke when she totally ignored him. Not even glancing at him. Whenever they would be bumping into the girls at school, Jennie would greet the three of his friends leaving him out of the picture, not caring for his presence, his existence. The feedback of his doings hit him hard like a bulldozer, hurting him to the extent that pain of tears won’t come out of his eyes anymore just to somehow lessen the heavy feeling that has been staying inside of him.

But it didn’t, that heavy feeling stayed in him comfortably like it was warmly welcomed by him. He suddenly stood up from the sofa and went to Jimin who seemed to be slowly falling asleep now but he didn’t care and tapped him on his hand carelessly, “Aish! What now?!” Jimin exclaimed with eyes closed but had suddenly widened his eyes when he saw that it was now Taehyung in front of him.

He suddenly squinted his eyes when he sensed why he was in front of him now, “You too, Tae?” he darkly asked but Taehyung didn’t even blink in fear and just nodded his head nonchalantly.

“Play a different song,” Taehyung simply said then went back to where he was again leaving Jimin with his mouth wide open in disbelief.

“You guys are so picky today,” he told them but he was just ignored by his friends who were back in their own worlds, he just sighed in annoyance and took his phone out again. He nonchalantly tapped the next button and before he could even go back to his relaxation he was yelled out by his three friends at the same time hearing the same exact words coming out from their mouths.

We don’t talk anymore–

“JUST SHUT IT DOWN JIMIN!”