CHAPTER 41

FOUR

Jennie and Rose were startled when they heard a loud slamming sound coming from their front door. They got up from the carpet and discovered that their Jisoo unnie was gone from her spot just now. They were too focused on the movie that they didn’t notice Jisoo’s urgency in grabbing her hoody and leaving their house.

They stared at the direction of their front door, confused and wondering why was their unnie leaving all of a sudden and where could she be going. She would usually tell them the place first before heading out, especially now that it was too late in the evening.

Starting to get worried, Rose turned to Jennie and asked, “Unnie, where could she be going?” she asked curiously the older girl that also had the same confused and worried expression that she had.

But Jennie shrugged it all away for the meantime, avoiding the negative thoughts away for now. She looked at Rose and gave her a small yet assuring smile, “Don’t worry, she might be just going to a convenience store, you know she would always crave for something during the night,” Jennie told Rose.

Rose thought for a while and realized that what Jennie had said was true, Jisoo had been going to a convenience store in the late nights multiple times already that somehow made her confused and worried expression go away that turned into a calmed one.

“Right. Or might be buying chicken again,” Rose said with a giggle making Jennie laugh a little. Jennie nodded then told her that they should just watch the movie again.

They turned their attentions back to the movie as they waited patiently for Jisoo to come back. They were halfway through the movie and Jisoo hasn’t come back yet. It was making Jennie worry already. But she didn’t gave herself away for she didn’t want Rose to get anxious and be worried too. She quietly grabbed her phone beside her and sent a text to Jisoo.

Unnie, where are you?

She sent it and checked the time making her eyes widen in surprised that made her worry more, it was already past eleven already. She quickly dropped the expression from her face when Rose lifted her head up slightly. After sending the text, she locked her phone and didn’t let go of it again. She was checking it every now and then hoping for Jisoo’s reply. Not minding the movie anymore.

The movie had come to its end, and Jisoo wasn’t back yet, plus no reply from her texts too. She sent the same text multiple times but about an hour already passed but still no answer from the older girl. Jennie started biting her lips as she felt that she’s starting to get nervous, and worried. She felt something wasn’t right. She felt something bad was about to happen.

She wanted to ask Rose to go with her and look for their Jisoo unnie, but she ignored the whole idea away for she worried that something might happen to the both of them too. It was clearly midnight, the rain was pouring heavily, and they were both young girls. She couldn’t risk Rose being in trouble because of her being paranoid.

Jennie was so lost and deep in her thoughts that she didn’t notice Rose stood up from the carpet and turned off their television when the movie had ended. Rose also noticed that Jisoo wasn’t home yet, that she asked Jennie again, “Unnie, she’s still not here, what if something happened–”

“Rosie, please don’t think like that,” Jennie exclaimed when Rose had snapped her out of her thoughts. She turned to her phone again and sent the same text to Jisoo again. Five minutes, twenty, forty minutes passed, still no answer again.

She stood up from the carpet and started pacing back and forth in their living room thinking where Jisoo might be right now. Rose couldn’t do anything but to watch Jennie walk back and forth in their living room making her a little dizzy. She blinked her eyes rapidly then turned her gaze away from Jennie. She grabbed her phone too and tried to call Jisoo.

But a wave of disappointment flashed on her face when the line directed her to voicemail. She saw Jennie dialed a number too and after a minute, she heard her hissed in irritation, figured she was also directed to voicemail. She stood up from the couch and went to Jennie then held her arms, calming her down, “Unnie, let’s sit, let’s wait for another hour, if no Jisoo unnie yet, we’ll go out and find her, okay?” she said in a soft and calming voice, but deep inside she was very worried too. She figured one has to be calmed for the both of them, if not then both of them might get insane because of excessive worry and panic.

To her relief, Jennie nodded and went down on the couch sitting beside her, they waited patiently in silence, but both were panicking as they saw what the time already was. Jennie sighed and stood up again then grabbed her phone.

She hastily dialed Jisoo’s number again, no answer. Dialed it again, no answer again. Dialed for the third time, no answer. Fourth time, still no answer. Jennie’s slowly losing her temper and was having this strong want to throw her phone somewhere because the line kept on leading her to voicemail.

She breathed in and out heavily, trying to calm herself, before again, dialing Jisoo’s number for the fifth time. She tapped the dial button and slowly placed her phone against her ear, and started silently praying, desperately praying, that Jisoo would finally pick up.

And she swore in her life, that she never felt so relieved than before when the dial tone stopped on the third ring indicating that the call had been answered, “KIM JISOO–”

“Jennie!”

Jennie was stunned hearing a familiar voice of a male answering the phone instead of her friend, “J–jimin?” she responded unsure, upon hearing the mention of her boyfriend’s name, Rose stood up from her seat and went beside Jennie with the same confused look as her older friend. She knew Jennie was calling for their eldest friend so why was he the one who answered the phone.

“Neh, it’s me. Come to SNU hospital, ppali!” Jimin said making them nervous and at the same confused because of the sense of urgency in his tone.

“Why– What– Wait–” Jennie breathed out heavily first before continuing, “Why are you there? And are you with unnie right now? This is her phone right?” she asked continuously. Rose waited beside her with the same expressions as before, she seemed waiting patiently but she was slowly losing her temper too.

“Jisoo noona…” they heard Jimin said in a tone that had the mixture of sadness and worry making them more nervous.

“Why? What happened to unnie?! Yah, Park Jimin spit it out–”

“She got into a car accident!” Jennie and Rose looked at each other, eyes wide open, mouths agape, the news hit them like a storm. Jimin practically shouted from the other line that Rose heard what he had said. Jennie’s grip on her phone became tighter as she tried to compose herself and tried to respond to Jimin but no words came out of as it started to shake and tears started flowing from her eyes.

“Jennie, go here now, she’s still in the ER! Ppali, please…” Jennie just replied a quick okay before storming out of their house with Rose not even minding the cold weather and didn’t grab a coat or jacket for the two of them. They didn’t care if they’ll freeze to death, what’s important now was they had to be in the hospital for their unnie. Luckily, there was an empty cab that passed by in front of their house just in time for them to be out. They quickly hailed in and hopped inside.

“SNU hospital, please,” Jennie told the driver as soon as both of them had settled on the back seat. The driver nodded and started driving but his speed wasn’t enough for the two.

“Ahjussi, ppali juseyo,” Rose ordered the driver who thankfully obeyed without any further questions or complaint. Jennie pulled Rose’s head down to her shoulder as the younger was crying nonstop too. She soothed her arm up and down in hopes of comforting her, but Rose’s sob only went more audible. She was so worrying, herself, but she chose to be strong especially now.

Because it was already midnight that they didn’t encounter any traffic. They arrived at the entrance of the Emergency Area in no time, Rose quickly opened the door and went inside the hospital while Jennie quickly paid the driver before following her inside. She saw Rose being held up by the guard saying that she shouldn’t be there.

“No! You don’t understand, my unnie was in the ER right now, I need to be there for her!” Rose told the guard half shouting already for the guard didn’t allow her. Jennie quickly went towards them and held Rose protectively before talking with the guard more calmly.

Feeling her unnie’s hold, Rose hugged her immediately, crying. Jennie soothed her back trying to comfort her then turned to the guard, “Sir, please let us in, our friend got into an accident,” Jennie asked the guard politely who shook his head.

“I’m sorry, Ma’am. As much as I wanted to let you in but the rules said otherwise, a lot of people already been here telling the exact same thing and just caused a trouble that the management asked for a stricter security, I’m sorry,” the guard told them with the same amount of politeness in his tone.

Jennie frowned, “But we’re saying the truth–”

“Ma’am please go–”

“They’re with us,” a voice said from behind the guard and Jennie sighed in total relief when she saw that it was Jimin. The guard turned around and recognized Jimin from earlier before who rushed in a patient he was calling his noona.

He turned to Jennie and Rose then quickly bowed before them, apologizing, “I’m sorry, please go in,” the guard said still bowing. Jennie just bowed back lightly and hurriedly went to where Jimin was pulling Rose with her. Jimin quickly went to hold Rose in his arms seeing that she was crying heavily.

He led them to the waiting area outside the emergency room, “How long have you been waiting?” Jennie asked along the way.

“I think about an hour already, the doctor hasn’t come back from the ER yet,” Jimin sadly informed as he hugged Rose tightly, and whispering soothing words in hoped of calming and comforting her.

They got to the waiting area and she saw that the other boys were already there – Jin, Jungkook, and Taehyung. She saw that Jin was also crying nonstop like Rose as Jungkook and Taehyung were both on his sides trying to comfort him too. It didn’t confuse her why Jin would be here when he was mad at Jisoo, it’s clear to her that Jin’s just being a stubborn guy that still loves and cares for her unnie, he was just refusing to show and make it obvious because of his anger.

She looked at Taehyung, who was busy with their Jin hyung and not noticing her presence yet, the same with Jungkook, she looked away quickly for this isn’t the time for her to be emotional towards the said guy, what matters most now was the safety of their unnie. She sat down beside Rose and tapped her back with care too as the latter was leaning her head on Jimin shoulder still crying her eyes out.

Jennie turned to Jimin to ask how did this happened, “Jimin–ah, was unnie in your house all along?” she asked him that Jimin just replied with a simple nod. He also looked depressed and devastated just like her and Rose.  

“But she looked so angry when she left judging by the loud slamming of the door,” she mumbled to herself, then an idea came to her, maybe she tried her luck again in talking to their Jin oppa, “If she was there all along, why did this happen? How did she got into an accident and ended up in the emergency room? Did something bad happen?” she bombarded Jimin questions, her voice was slowly breaking by the mention of Jisoo being in the ER right now.

Jimin was about to answer but suddenly they saw Jin stood up from his spot and kneeled down in front of Jennie, making all of them gasp in shock, “O–oppa…” she called out of shock and confusion. Taehyung and Jungkook tried to pull him up but Jin shrugged their holds away.

“Jennie… I’m sorry… This is all my fault… It’s my fault why she got into an accident… I’m sorry… If only I didn’t push her away…” Jin said, crying. It broke Jennie’s heart, it broke everyone’s heart. She felt sorry for her oppa. She didn’t have any plan on blaming him, no one should be blamed for this. The accident was pure coincidental, Jisoo just got into the road at the wrong time and at the wrong condition. But here Jin was, apologizing, as if he was the one who planned the whole accident intentionally.

Jennie and the others were so lost for words. It pained them to see their playful and cheery Jin hyung and oppa to be like this. They couldn’t blame him if he refused to listen to Jisoo, they didn’t have the right to control his emotions.

Jennie felt tears started to roll on her cheeks again, she wiped them off her face and held Jin’s arm in a comforting way, “Oppa, stand up, please, this isn’t your fault…” she said trying to console him.

But Jin shook his head no, “Aniya… If only I had listened to whatever she’s going to say… If only I didn’t tell her to go and leave… If only…” he broke into a painful sob, “I’m sorry…” he said again as he couldn’t stop himself from crying.

Jennie stood up and started pulling Jin from his kneeling, Taehyung and Jungkook helped her. Once they got Jin up, they helped him settle on one of the seats in the waiting room. Jennie looked down at Jin with eyes full of care and worry, “Oppa, please be strong… Don’t worry, I know unnie will forgive you… She’ll understand you… Please be strong for us… For her…” she gave him a soft smile.

Jin forced himself to stop all his sobbing and wiped his face, Jennie’s kind words sinking into his mind. He nodded his head towards Jennie in understanding. Seeing this made Jennie smile again to him, she pat his shoulder once more before going back to her seat beside Rose, who was now slowly calming down too. Jimin holding her hand tightly.

Jennie settled herself on the seat and looked up to prevent herself from crying. They waited for the doctor to come out of the emergency room and to ask about Jisoo’s condition. Jennie stood up as she felt her phone vibrating inside her pocket, she walked to a more isolated area before answering the phone without looking at the caller I.D.

“Hello?” she greeted making her voice as fine as possible.

“Unnie!!!” Jennie was stunned to hear that it was Lisa. Lisa with her bright and cheerful voice. It was so long since she last heard from her friend that it made her broke into tears of happiness hearing her voice again, she missed her…

“Yah Lalisa…” she greeted back with a sob earning a giggle from the other line, “It took you long enough to call your unnie…”

She heard Lisa chuckle again that somehow made her confused why was Lisa being her cheerful self again when the last time they talked she was crying so hard but nevertheless she still felt happy talking with her again, “Unnie!! I’ve got news!! I’m going back there!!”

Jennie felt more tears of happiness rushed through her, “That’s great… When are you coming back?”

“Soon!”

“Please make it sooner… Jisoo unnie needs us right now…” she pleaded as more tears flowed remembering their Jisoo unnie.

“Why? What happened? Is it bad? Oh, nevermind, tell me everything when I get there, I’ll call you again, unnie. Bye!”

“Deh, please hurry maknae… Bye,” then the call ended. She felt happy knowing that Lisa was coming back and felt something good happened to her judging by her excitement. She went back to her friends and was about to announce that Lisa was coming back but then the doctor from the ER went out that all of them stood abruptly and approached the doctor.

“Relatives of Miss Kim Jisoo?” the doctor asked.

“We’re her friends doctor, we live together,” Rose answered making the doctor nod in acknowledgement.

“How was she? Is she safe now?” Jin asked impatiently.

“Yes, she is now. Thankfully, the driver had somehow hit the break at the right time making her only hit her head on the windshield. Her wound in that area was already taken care of, treated and stitched for it needed it to be so it will heal faster, and aside from an injured arm, and bruised legs and arms, the rest are fine,” the doctor explained that had them let out the breath that they didn’t know they were holding while the doctor was talking.

“That was close, thank you doctor,” Taehyung said out of relief.

The doctor nodded and added, “Neh, we already transferred her into a private room, and just wait for her CT scan result, then we could discuss if there would be other complications, but I think that wouldn’t happen anymore. Jisoo–ssi, fought for her life well, you guys don’t have to worry,” the doctor told them with a warm smile, “I believe her room number was released in the reception area right now, you could just check it there.”

The doctor was about to leave when Jennie stopped him and asked something that’s important, “Doctor, will she wake up immediately though?” she asked making the others stare at the doctor anticipating for his answer and praying that his answer would be a positive one.

And again, they sighed in relief when the doctor nodded, “Yes, my estimate would be in just one to two days, she would wake up,” the doctor assured them then they quickly thanked him as he was called by a nurse to tend to another patient again.

They quickly all went to the reception to ask for Jisoo’s room number, “Room 1314, Kim Jisoo,” the staff told them that they bowed as a thank you before heading for the elevator. They arrived in front of the room and didn’t waste any second to open the door and enter, especially Jin. He walked ahead of them and barged inside the room quickly heading to Jisoo who had a bandage on her head, and a cast on her left arm.

Jin sat down on the chair beside her bed and held her free hand then raised it on his lips kissing the back of her hand, “I’m sorry…” he mumbled as tears silently flowed down his cheeks again. The others went to the couches that were inside the room and occupied it, giving Jin his time to be with Jisoo.

They stayed inside the room, silently. No one dared to say a word. Jennie looked around, she saw Rose had her head on Jimin’s shoulder while Jimin’s was on top of hers, they were already sleeping. Same with Jungkook and Taehyung who had their arms crossed in front of their chests leaning back on the sofa sleeping too. She stood up to look at Jin and saw him already asleep too and his position was a bit uncomfortable.

She walked to him and nudged him lightly waking him up, when she saw him slowly opening his eyes, she quickly told him to occupy the other couch and have a good rest. Jin nodded and asked her one more time if she’s alright that Jennie just nodded.

Jennie occupied the seat that was previously occupied by Jin and stared at Jisoo. She prayed that she’ll wake up soon without any other complications inside her system. Even though the doctor had already assured them that everything’s going to be fine, she couldn’t stop herself from still worrying and panicking.

She gave out a tired sigh and leaned her head on the side of Jisoo’s bed. She closed her eyes trying to calm herself that she didn’t notice she was slowly falling into a deep sleep from exhaustion.

About four o’clock in the morning, Taehyung suddenly woke up feeling that no one was beside him. He slowly opened his eyes and looked around, he saw the space where Jimin and Rose were previously on was empty, and Jungkook’s too. He saw Jin was soundly sleeping on the single couch just beside the long couch that him, Jungkook, Rose, Jimin were occupying.

He rubbed his eyes clear as he noticed he didn’t see Jennie. He stood up from his spot and turned to his Jisoo noona who was still unconscious, then his eyes travelled to the space beside the bed and saw the girl he had been looking for also sleeping.

He walked in front of her and saw that the space her head was taking wasn’t enough to support it, she might get a stiff neck when she woke up, that he didn’t hesitate to place his left arm under her legs and the other around her back, carefully carrying her, avoiding that she might wake up.

When he succeeded on carrying her, he slowly walked towards the long couch and carefully placed her there. He sat down on the floor and stared at Jennie’s sleeping face. He smiled as he missed the feeling of this close to her. He saw Jennie was slightly shifting from her sleep because of the cold that he quickly took off his jacket and draped it on her body carefully.

He sat back down on the floor and leaned his head on the space just near Jennie’s face staring at her, “I missed you…” he whispered as he caressed her cheek softly, and seeing Jennie unconsciously leaning more to his touch made him smile.

He continued caressing her face not noticing that his eyes were slowly closing causing him to go back to sleep…