CHAPTER 20

FOUR

Jennie let Taehyung led the way as they arrived at Daegu. They went out of the station then walked straightly to whereas the taxi cue located. She’s just following Taehyung behind when a small flower stall caught her attention just outside the station.

She figured that Taehyung just wanted to visit his halmeoni’s remains but she thought they can’t go there empty handed. She glanced at Taehyung’s back that continued to walk that she quickly went to the stall, the taxi cue was easy to find anyway, then scanned the flowers, all of them were beautiful but a lavender colored one caught her attention.

“Ajumma,” she called out to the vendor that turned to her with soft smile that she returned as she said her order, “Ajumma, a half dozen of that flower juseyo,” she said as she pointed to the lavender colored flowers.

The vendor happily tended to her as it picked the flowers, “Do you want me to arrange it? What’s it for?” the vendor kindly asked.

“Oh, you can do that?” she asked cheerfully, “Okay then Ajumma, it’s for my friend’s halmeoni, it’s her memorial today,” she said with a smile that the vendor nodded and arranged the flower in a circular way, it became small making it handy. Once done, the vendor handed it to her, she smiled at the arrangement in satisfaction, “Ajumma, jjang!!” she exclaimed making the vendor giggle, then handed her the payment.

She thanked the vendor, then waved good bye as she walked to the taxi cue but saw Taehyung walking to her with a worried expression, “Why, what’s wrong? Are you alright?” she asked seeing his expression.

“Yah, I thought I lost you,” he answered then relief washed over her face.

Jennie smiled then held the flower leveling it to his eyes, “Chaaaan! We can’t go there empty handed you know,” she excitedly told him, making Taehyung smile widely, then scratched the back of his head shyly, “Mian, I was too excited that I forgot.”

Jennie just giggled at his shyness, Taehyung chuckled then held her wrist, “Let’s go,” he said, that she nodded in agreement, then went to the taxi cue, just in time for them to step into one. Taehyung told the driver the address of the sanctuarium. After half an hour, they arrived at a peaceful looking building, Taehyung paid the driver then they went inside the building.

Jennie followed him again then they arrived at the seventh floor and turned left, she noticed that Taehyung’s pace was slowing down when they reached the third room. (A/N: Kindly imagine the ones in Korean dramas whenever there’s a scene where there were also memorials. Thank you ^^. Sorry, I at describing the place ^^).

Taehyung was about to step inside but Jennie grabbed his hand, stopping him, he turned to her with a confused face, “Here,” she handed him the flower, “I’ll just stay here,” she said smiling softly. Taehyung nodded and smiled back, accepting the flowers that she bought. Jennie patted his shoulder lightly and mouthed a ‘go’ that Taehyung made his way inside.

Taehyung slowly walked then stopped when he was faced to where his halmeoni’s remains were kept, a faint smile escaping his lips as he stared at the pictures that were inside, he placed the flower in front, then stepped back a little, clasping his hands to his stomach, “Halmeoni, annyeong!” he said as he stared at his halmeoni’s solo picture.

“I know it’s been three years, but I only visited you just now since you left,” he paused then lifted his head lightly as he felt tears were trying to escape his eyes, he blinked rapidly then focused to his halmeoni again, “Mianhe halmeoni… Chincha mianhe… I miss you… So much…” he trailed as tears now continuously roll down his cheeks. He wiped them then glanced to where Jennie was and saw her smiling at him. A smile that says to be strong and continue, that’s what he thought that made him smile despite the tears.

“Halmeoni, I didn’t come alone today,” he said smiling lightly, “She’s the one that bought the flowers for you, I don’t know but she picked the ones you always loved… Lavenders, right?” he asked then turned to Jennie again and asked her to go in.

Jennie pointed at herself as if asking if she’s the one he’s pertaining to, but then she felt stupid after realizing the she’s the only one with Taehyung right now that she facepalmed herself. She hesitated at first but seeing Taehyung’s hand held out for her, she walked to him and held his hand.

Taehyung chuckled, “Why do you seem nervous?” he asked when she was beside him, his hand holding hers, it kinda surprised him for knowing Jennie she’ll probably flick his hand away, but today was different and it made him happy.

“I don’t know, I suddenly felt nervous meeting one of your family members,” she honestly said.

“Relax, I’m not going to marry you yet,” he teased.

“Yah!” she glared.

“Halmeoni, she’s always mean to me!” Taehyung exclaimed as he faced the grave again while pouting like a kid.

Jennie laughed lightly at him then also faced his halmeoni’s grave, she bowed and introduced herself, “Annyeonghaseyo, Jennie–imnida,” she said then turned to Taehyung awkwardly that was already looking at her, he had the expression of saying that she should continue if she has something else to say. She scratched her head in embarrassment, “Mianhe halmeoni, I’m awkward at meeting new people,” she apologized, hanging her head low shyly.

Taehyung chuckled, “Halmeoni, Jennie… I know you’ll like her… She’s nice, pretty, and cooks deliciously, especially kimchi fried rice!” she was just standing there as she watched Taehyung talk to his grandmother about her full of sincerity, “I think with her cooking skills, she can keep me chubby like you always wanted!” Taehyung continued but despite the cheerfulness in his tone, a tear escaped his eye again, “Aish, chincha bogoshiposeo, halmeoni…”

Seeing this pained Jennie, she don’t know why but she felt sad too when Taehyung’s sad. She held his hand tighter as comfort, he turned to her when he felt the tight hold of her small hand.

Jennie smiled softly then turned to the grave, “Halmeoni, our Taehyungie’s a crybaby, don’t you think?” she teased trying to cheer him up, “Don’t worry halmeoni, I’ll keep him chubby! I won’t let him grow muscles! Chubby Taetae is the cutest, right?!” she added that made Taehyung let out a soft chuckle, pinched her cheek lightly as she does that gummy smile.

“Halmeoni she thinks I’m cute!” he cheerfully said.

“Nah, I just said that so you’ll stop crying,” she teased that made Taehyung frown in an instant that it was her turn to giggle.

Taehyung smiled, he turned to his grandmother’s grave again, leaned forward then covered his mouth using his other hand like a girl would do when she gossips with her friends, “Halmeoni, I really like her,” he whispered, but still Jennie heard it that made her stop her giggles but kept a loving smile on her face.

Aish, Kim Taehyung, what a guy. She thought to herself, still smiling as she stared at Taehyung who was busy telling his grandmother a story.


Classes were over that Jisoo, Rose, and Lisa were now heading to the school’s parking lot where the three boys were waiting for them as they went to the restroom first.

They were walking their way to the parking lot when Lisa asked Rose, “Are you sure Jennie unnie’s okay?”

Rose was about to answer but Jisoo beat her to it, “I think so, she texted me saying she was at Jin Woo oppa’s house,” Jisoo informed them as she only got the chance to check her phone now, and reading Jennie’s text.

Jin Woo oppa’s? Nice one, unnie. Rose thought to herself as she was the only one who knows where Jennie was.

Lisa nodded in understanding, “Come on, they must be waiting,” she said then grabbed both of the girls wrist urging them to walk faster.

“Too impatient for her Kookie, eh?” Rose teased but Lisa just smiled. When they arrived at the parking lot, Lisa let go of them then walked straightly to Jungkook whose arms were open welcoming her for a hug that Lisa gladly went over.

“Aish, these maknaes, you just saw each other about three hours ago,” Jisoo said rolling her eyes, that made Jimin and Rose laugh.

“Yah, don’t be bitter, come here I’ll hug you,” Jin said then wrapped his arms around her from behind making Jisoo turn around and hide her face on his chest for she was blushing hard because of the younger couples’ teasing.

“Yah, stop my Jichu’s blushing!” Jin exclaimed, low key joining the teasing that Jisoo punched him lightly, he just chuckled then let go of her but his arm were still on her shoulder, “Do you girls want to have dinner at our house?” Jin asked.

Rose’s head shot up upon hearing Jin’s offer, she looked at Jimin in panic. Jimin just squeezed her hand as if saying she doesn’t have to worry, “Jin oppa–” she was about to protest when Jisoo and Lisa excitedly responded, “Sure!!” Rose slumped her shoulders defeated, Jimin patted her shoulder to comfort her.

“Let’s go then!” Jin said then unlocked his car. He opened the passenger seat’s door for Jisoo before climbing on the driver’s seat. Jimin also opened the door of the back seat for Rose and Lisa. The two girls then went in followed by Jungkook and Jimin.

Jin started driving, and after an hour for they encountered some traffic ahead, they arrived. They got out of the car then went inside their house. Jimin and Rose were the first ones to enter the house for Jimin sensed Rose’s panicking.

“I’m just gonna check on Taehyung,” Jimin said once they got inside, Rose following behind him. They climbed upstairs then went straightly to their room, “Taehyung?” Jimin called out as he opened their bedroom door. But to his surprise, no Taehyung was found.

“What? They’re not here?” Rose asked, also surprised. She turned to Jimin that has a worried expression on his face. He quickly fetched his phone from his pocket then tapped number 4 on his phone screen keypad, speed dialing Taehyung.

They patiently waited as the phone rang but both sighed in frustration when it went straightly to voicemail, “Where could he be?” Jimin mumbled.

“So, that means, Jennie unnie’s really at her cousin’s house? So, I worried for nothing?” Rose asked with disappointment. Jimin laughed at the sight of her talking to herself, “Yah, don’t laugh, you don’t know how nervous I was!”

Jimin still laughed, “Relax, everyone will find out sooner or later anyway,” he said smiling at her. His eyes in a shape of crescents.

Rose sighed then told him that they should just come down to the others and tell Taehyung’s not home that he gladly agreed. They walked downstairs and saw that everyone was in the kitchen, “Taehyung’s not home. Hyung, Jungkook, did he tell you where he is?” he asked as they approach them in the kitchen.

“Hyung, I’ll be in Daegu over the weekend I’m fine don’t worry Taetae,” Jin read loudly while holding a small post it note he saw when he was about to open the fridge.

“I think that answers your question Jimin hyung,” Jungkook said who was beside Jin looking at the note too, then looked up to Jimin in confusion, “But why Daegu all of sudden? He wasn’t feeling well this morning, right?”

“Yeah– Wait, what day is today? It’s already September, right?” Jimin asked in a hurry like he remembered something.

“Neh oppa, September 3rd to be exact,” Lisa answered as she checked her phone for it.

“Aish!” Jimin exclaimed that got everyone’s attention.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Jisoo asked in confusion.

Rose looked at her boyfriend with the same confused expression for he was suddenly very worried just by hearing the date today, “It’s halmeoni’s memorial day!” Jimin let out feeding everyone’s confusion, and it made Jin and Jungkook react the same way when Jimin remembered.

"Halmeoni? Whose halmeoni?" Jisoo asked.

"Taehyung's," Jin simply answered, making the girls' confusion stop now. As everything was clear now.

“How could we forget? He must have been really sad all day, all by himself,” Jungkook said sadly, disappointed at himself for forgetting. He knew how sad Taehyung could get when it comes to his grandmother. Seeing this, Lisa quickly walked to him and rubbed his back in a comforting way.

“But, he never went to Daegu since Halmeoni left, right? But today…” Jin trailed off as he was still confused why Taehyung suddenly went to his hometown that he didn’t do for the last two years, and third year today.

Everyone fell silent, thinking and worrying for their Taehyung. But all their attentions were focused on Jin when he spoke again.

“Who wants to go to Daegu today, then?”