CHAPTER 39

FOUR

While the girls were singing crazily in their house back in Korea, there’s Lisa, their maknae, who was lifelessly lying on her bed back in her hometown, Thailand. One week had passed, and hope was slowly fading away from her system. In that one week, she tried everything and anything to convince her father to not push through her arranged wedding. But every time she did that, she always ended up hurt, disappointed, and miserable.

Her father won’t listen to her. He remained still, strict, and cruel towards her. She tried to convince and asked for help from her mother but it only made her more miserable for her mother couldn't do anything but to apologize and reject all the help she had been asking all this while.

Feeling dejected, she spent most of her time locking herself inside of her bedroom, lying on the bed, scrolling through her phone - either in her photo gallery which was full of her and Jungkook’s photos and also the girls, or in her message inbox where her favorite conversations with Jungkook were saved - she missed him so much that it pained her, making her shed some tears every time she was reminded of the night she saw him in the airport before she left.

That night was supposed to be perfect, precious, and memorable in a good way for the both of them, for all of them, but it turned out the way they didn’t want it to be. Lisa felt angry at herself for doing that to Jungkook. She knew very well that he doesn't deserve that, she knew how Jungkook felt towards her but all she did was hurt him in the end. She made him feel that nothing wrong was happening between the two of them, he asked her multiple times to make sure but she didn’t tell him anything about it, she hid it all from him resulting to this painful situation both of them were facing.

And as for her friends, she wished that she had told them sooner about her problem, she knew that they’ll be able to help her about it, but then she remembered that she didn’t want to trouble them and be a burden for her friends for they also got their own lives and problems to deal with. She heard from Rosé about the issues Jennie and Jisoo were currently facing, and she couldn’t help but to feel sorry towards her unnies. She thought that everything was going smoothly with their lives but turned out she was wrong, and that was somehow another reason why she was halfly thankful that she didn’t tell them, she’ll just cause more stress, Lisa thought.

For her, it would be better to solve your own problems than to involve other people around you, for sometimes it’ll only make the problem worst and also may affect those people negatively.

That’s the thing she had kept in her mind, to make her feel somehow fine. But she still couldn’t avoid the fact that she felt lonely and alone at the moment. She felt she had no one to rely and lean on. Then Jungkook’s image flashed in her mind, surely Jungkook would stay by her side at times she’s problematic, but her problem now involved leaving him, making her shrug Jungkook away from her thoughts, she lost all the hope that she has been holding onto when she still had time to convince her father because nothing could ever change her father’s mind now.

Sometimes she had doubt if she’s really his daughter for he cared about himself and the business than her. The only mistake for him that she did was to study in Korea, but she still can’t understand why he hated her because of that. It’s not like she did something illegal, she was still studying hard like a good daughter should do. She didn’t do drugs or anything, heck she had been doing great in school, but still her father was mad.

Lisa sadly sighed as she thought of how pathetic her life was, lying on her bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. Her room was very quiet, only her deep sighs and the rain hitting their rooftop could be heard. It has been like that for a week, she’ll only go down to eat her meals but sometimes she couldn’t find herself having an appetite that she’ll just skip it and kept on locking herself inside.

She knew she was rebelling right now, but who cares they were the ones who had made her into one. She blamed this all to her father, if it weren’t because of him and his cruelty, she’ll still be happily bonding with her unnies, and still be lovingly embraced in Jungkook’s arms. Jungkook…

She was worried about him. She left him in confusion, not telling him anything that could make clarity between them. Jungkook… Never left her mind even just a minute or even a second. He was the victim for all of this and she felt very guilty, she felt like she cheated on him, she felt like she left him because of a better man although that was partly true but she knew no one would be ever better than her Kookie. He was the best out there and there’s nothing you could ever asked for if you have him. Gosh, she missed him so much…

Sighing deeply again, she grabbed her phone from her bedside table and did her everyday routine. Scroll through the saved messages, scroll through her phone’s gallery. She was swiping through the image then when a certain photo appeared, she stopped her finger from tapping again, and stared sadly at the photo.

It was her favorite photo of him, candidly and personally captured by her. It was the time when she confirmed in herself that she was having feelings towards him, he was smiling and laughing a lot that day that it made her want to take a photo of him, and she did, and it turned out to be wonderful.

She smiled while staring at the photo, “I miss your tan skin… Your sweet smile… So good to me, so right...” she sang out of nowhere, it’s just that the song was describing Jungkook. She felt a tear fell down from her eyes again, “I’m sorry… I should’ve told you… I miss you… I wanna be with you…” she mumbled looking at the photo, between her soft sobs, “I want to talk to you… I want to hear your voice again… I want to hug you… Jungkook-ah… Please forgive your Lalice…” she continued but knowing that she couldn’t do all of that made her dumped her phone somewhere on her bed before burying her face against  her mattress as her sobs were getting more and more audible.

Just thinking about how much she misses him always turned her into a crying mess. She really really wanted to talk to him right now, even just a simple hello from him would make her feel alright, would make her feel comforted, would make her feel that she could go through everything she had been facing right now. Feeling desperate, she quickly got herself up from the bed and hastily looked for her phone.

When she saw it, she quickly unlocked it again and went to her contacts. She had been stopping herself to call or text Jungkook for a week. She had been convincing herself not to talk to him anymore for one week. But today, she can’t handle it anymore, she’s going to call him and talk to him, she didn’t care anymore. All she wanted to do now was to talk with him, and hear from him.

She scrolled through her contacts and hastily looked for Jungkook’s name. When she found it, she tapped it and stared at for a moment. She slowly moved her finger closer to the call icon, only one last move and the icon would be pressed leading her in calling him, but -

A knock from her door was heard.

Disrupting her from all of her plans.

Hearing another knock on her door, made her give out a tired sigh and combed her hair out of frustration. She looked at her door as the knocking went on and on, she wiped her face rapidly before standing up and walked her way to the door.

She opened it harshly with a blank expression “What?” she simply asked.

“M-miss Lisa,” it was Lily, her friend from their maids, she did tell her to drop the formality but the latter decided to use it again as Lisa wasn’t the same anymore when she came back last week, “D-dinner’s ready, Miss Lisa. Your mom and dad are waiting for you,” she bowed her head as she felt intimidated by Lisa’s cold aura.

“Okay, I’ll go down,” she responded still in that cold tone making Lily bow down at her quickly before leaving her. Lisa sighed as she felt bad for even her friendship with Lily’s getting affected. She didn’t do anything else anymore and just closed her door shut then went to their dining area. When she got there, she didn’t even bother to greet her parents and just sat on her seat which was on the right side of her father, across from her mom.

“Hi dear,” her mom softly greeted but she just ignored it and proceeded on putting foods on her plate. Her mom turned away sadly when she heard no response from her daughter.

“It was nice to see you out of your room,” she heard her father sarcastically said.

She rolled her eyes in irritation, “Well, nice to see you too,” she responded with the same amount of sarcasm that made her father glare at her.

“Now, that isn’t the right tone to use when talking to your father,” her dad sternly said and she could feel the rage that was slowly rising in him.

Lisa sighed in annoyance and dropped her spoon down before crossing her arms on her chest as she looked at him, “Well, should I apologize?” she asked still with the blank expression on her face.

Her father dropped his utensils too as he clenched his fist, “Look at you, being so disrespectful! Is that the trait you’ve learned in Korea?!”

Lisa furrowed her eyebrows in annoyance, “What?! Korea doesn’t have anything to do with this! It was you who made me into who I am right now!”

“This is why I didn’t agree to anything you want-”

“Yes you’ve always been unfair to me!” Lisa lashed out cutting her father midway that made him stare at her in surprise but his glare didn’t fade, “You supported phī̀ s̄āw in going to America to chase her dream! You gave her everything she needed, plane ticket, visa, house, everything! And when it was me who wanted to go out of the country for the same reason, you didn’t even give a single damn! You didn’t agree, you didn’t support me, nothing! All you did was be mad at me like I did was so illegal that it will bring dishonor to this family! Why can’t you be like that to me? Being supportive, and loving, and all? Why can’t you be fair?! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO CRUEL-”

Slap! Lisa was slapped by her father, right there and then. A tear escaped her eyes, her cheek glowed in a dark shade of red, her cheek stung from pain, but the pain she had been feeling inside still hurt more.

Her mom got her hands to as she was so shocked from the scenes that were happening in front of her right now, she can’t believe her husband could hurt their own daughter.

“You… Don’t have the right to talk to me like that,” her father hissed.

Hearing that made her let out a sarcastic yet bitter laugh, “Yeah, and I don’t have the right to control my own life either,” she looked back at her father, tears continuously rolling from her eyes, “Because you’re controlling it now, and no matter how hard I try, you won’t even change your mind, of course, how could you, you’re only thinking about yourself, that’s all that matters to you.”

Her father raised his hand again, about to hit her again but this time her mother caught it and stopped it, “Lisa…” her mom called out in a shaky voice.

“I’m just doing what’s best for you-”

“What’s best for me? So marrying me off to a man I don’t even know was the best for me? Really?” she bitterly laughed again before looking seriously back at her father, “Look, if you're even a good father you would care for your daughter’s feelings more than your own greed. But the question is, do you even treat me as your real daughter? You know what? Sometimes I wished you weren't my father,” she spat out angrily before storming out of their dining area living her father speechless.


It was past nine in the evening already, and that was the only time the boys had the interest in having dinner. They were all now seated in their seats as Jin arrived carrying the huge bowl of bbimbap for their dinner. The three grabbed their spoons ready and bowls on the other hand, then quickly attacked the food once it was settled on their table.

Making Jin backed away lightly when he saw his three dongsaengs hungrily attack and munch on the food he prepared, he slowly sat down beside Jungkook while watching them eat in total awe, “Are you guys that hungry?” he asked with half opened mouth.

“Deh,” the three answered at the same time simply as they were busy eating the food, enjoying it. Jin took one last glance on each of them before scooping his portion of the food. He was glad that his friends were eating well.

Silence surrounded them while they munch on their foods, and for Jimin it was deafening again that he decided to start a conversation, “Yah, why did you all ordered me to change the songs earlier? Huh?” he knew it was a sensitive topic for them, but he had to try. But he felt dismay when the three just ignored him. But he didn’t give up.

“You,” he pointed at Jungkook that looked at him with a questioning look, “That was Bieber, and it’s your favorite song, you even covered it! But why did you hate it just now?” Jimin asked making Jungkook sigh.

“Aish, hyung, do I really have to answer that?” Jimin nodded as an answer that made the younger sigh again, “But it was just a song…”

Jimin snapped his fingers, “Exactly, just a song, and me trying to listen to it, BUT you nudged me and ordered me to change it without even calling me hyung,” Jimin spilled, a little bit enraged, as he really hated it whenever Jungkook acted older than him.

Jungkook just rolled his eyes as he was already used to his hyung’s ranting when it comes to the calling hyung thing, “It’s just that… It reminded me of Lisa,” he sighed again, “Happy now?”

Jimin just nodded his head simply then turned to Taehyung who was beside him, mouth full of food, “And you, that song was a new genre, and you love hearing new ones, so why loath it too??” he asked that made Taehyung stop from eating and swallowed the food inside his mouth first.

“None of your business,” he answered with a blank expression before eating another spoonful of his food.

Jimin sighed then thought for an idea for a moment, and once he had one, he didn’t hesitate to do it. He turned back to Taehyung while pouting like a kid, “Taehyung-ah… Is that how you talk to me now?” he asked with a lot of aegyo, seeing this made Jin choke on his food that Jungkook hurriedly tend to him and gave him a glass of water that he drank hastily.

Taehyung looked at Jimin with wide eyes as his friend was still keeping the pout with puppy dog eyes, “Y-yah… You look creepy,” he honestly said that made Jimin drop the pout and eyes that turned into a grumpy expression.

“Aish, just answer me!” he impatiently said.

“It reminds me of Jennie, okay?” Taehyung sighed, “Plus it’s just a song get over it!” he added making Jimin roll his eyes from him and stuck his tongue out towards him like a kid.

“Right, Jimin, just shut up and eat,” Jin scolded.

“Don’t shut up me, hyung, did you think I forgot about you?” Jimin scolded back, squinting his eyes to the older male who cleared his throat and looked away from him awkwardly.

“Just forget it,” Jin said then quickly turned his attention back to the food, avoiding him.

Jimin let out a tired sigh, “Come on guys, don’t be this sensitive and emotional, please? Could you please let yourself be cheered up even for once?” he asked them with a pleading voice. The three were stunned by his words but still they didn’t listen to him and just stayed quiet.

Feeling hopeless, Jimin just turned back to eating and let silence surround them again. He tried to cheer them up, but they just blew it off. He felt a little tired but he won’t give up on them. He’ll just rest for the mean time, his friends were very stubborn, he can’t handle it for a while.

They were silently eating when it was suddenly disturbed by their doorbell. They all looked up at the same time hearing and wondering who might it be, it was nearly eleven in the evening, “I’ll get it,” Jimin volunteered then jogged his way to the gates. The three just nodded and waited for him until he came back.

But they abruptly stood up in confusion when they heard Jimin shouting, “Wait- Yah! Min Jae-ssi! Yah Kim Min Jae!” they heard Jimin continously called out and the next thing they knew, an angry Min Jae was standing a few meters away from them, and a worried Jimin was behind.

Seeing that it was his own brother, Taehyung took the initiative to go and greet him. He was just a step away from him when suddenly he was thrown to the floor as Min Jae punched him on the face.

“Yah!” Jungkook exclaimed in surprise as he quickly went to Taehyung’s aid who had a bruised cheek now. He helped Taehyung stand up but Min Jae attacked again tackling Taehyung to the ground.

Jin and Jimin ran to Min Jae pulling him away from Taehyung who got punched again for the second time, “What is wrong with you?!” Jin shouted when they got a hold of him.

Min Jae shrugged their holds that they gladly let go of, “I’m here to congratulate my brother, is that a problem?” he angrily asked making the boys furrow their eyebrows in confusion towards him, except for Taehyung, he completely knew what he was talking about.

Min Jae then turned to him with a sarcastic smile, “Congrats hyung, you won again,” he said then took a step forward, Jungkook was about to move forward too but Taehyung signaled him not to, that he obeyed, “It was you again, it was you who got chosen again, it was you who got liked again… IT WAS YOU WHY I GOT REJECTED AGAIN!”

“DON’T RAISE YOUR VOICE ON ME!” Taehyung growled while getting a hold of Min Jae’s collar. That’s it, he was done playing nice.

“RESPECT ME-”

“FORGET ABOUT RESPECT-”

“THEN FORGET ABOUT ME BEING YOUR HYUNG,” he suddenly let go of him that made Min Jae fall to the ground who was left shocked because Taehyung was not being nice towards him anymore, “I gave you everything Min Jae! I gave up everything for you! I gave up dad! I gave up Irene! I gave up Jennie!” Taehyung lashed out, finally he was saying everything that he wanted to say.

Min Jae couldn't do anything but to glare at Taehyung but deep inside he was getting affected by everything he was saying, “I’m giving you everything just to make you happy, I sacrificed a lot of things for you… And this was the only time that I wanted something for myself but still I gave it up for you… Because I cared a lot about you, you didn’t have to threaten me just to have Jennie, just ask nicely and I'll be willingly give… Just ask… And there… Because you’re my brother…”

Min Jae couldn’t stop his tears anymore as he listened to everything his hyung had said. He bowed his head as he felt ashamed of himself.

Taehyung was crying too, he had his hands on his waist like he was tired of the things in life, he looked up to prevent his tears for he felt SO done with all his problems, plus the pain on his face because of the punches but he ignored all that for the pain inside hurt more. He turned to Min Jae again, “I know you don’t really treat me as your real brother, it was fine with me… But… At the same time it was making me angry at myself… Because it made me realize that I’ve been blindly caring for the wrong person all this time… And I hate it…”

Min Jae quickly went to his feet and tried to reach out to Taehyung, “Hyung-”

“Go.”

“Hyung, I’m-”

“KARAGO!”

He shouted that surprised Min Jae but didn’t push himself in and just went out of their house. Taehyung breathed heavily and in a split second he crouched down on the floor and broke down. Jungkook quickly went down beside him and soothed his back, “Gwenchana hyung… Gwenchana…”

“Jimin drive that kid home, he’s reek of alcohol,” Jin told Jimin who just nodded quickly and ran after Min Jae.

Jin crouched down beside Taehyung too and ruffled his hair, “Hyung… Did I… Do the right… Thing?” Taehyung asked between his sobs.

Jin smiled softly and nodded, “You did well Taehyung… You did well…"