CHAPTER 29

FOUR

Jennie quickly stepped out of the bus as it stopped on the station near Han River. She walked her way to the skating rink which was the place where Taehyung said he’s at.

It was just a ten to fifteen minute walk from the bus stop that she arrived in no time. She roamed her eyes around the place and to her disappointment nobody was there. Even the skating rink was empty, she expected to see Taehyung there doing some tricks but none was found.

She scratched her head in confusion and question on where he could be. Jennie walked further into the said place, then saw a skateboard resting in the middle of one of the ramps. Hope slowly creeped in her that she guessed that skateboard belonged to Taehyung, and he’s probably just around there somewhere.

She scanned the place again, checking for some signs of Taehyung. Her gaze stopped on the ground that was filled with grass as she saw someone lying there. She moved closer to the person as curiosity hit her.

As she went closer, she saw the person in an all–black outfit – black sweater, black knee–ripped jeans, black rubber shoes, and black cap. She stepped in front of the person and saw that it was a guy – sleeping, and it wasn’t just any guy, it’s the guy she’s been looking for.

She smiled at herself when she stared at his sleeping face, it was too serene and calming. She walked to his side and sat down on the grass. She let out a soft giggle as she saw that his black sweater have an image of the Disney character, Donald Duck. In her mind, Taehyung might seem manly outside, but was totally a kid in the inside.

She moved closer to him then poked his cheek lightly as she tried to wake him up. She poked his cheek again as the first one didn’t seem to bother him. And to her satisfaction, the third poke caused a little stirring on his sleep as his face started to crunch up in disturbance.

But Jennie didn’t feel contented as she continued on poking his cheek until he finally and slowly opening his eyes. Jennie smiled in success seeing that her plan worked.

Taehyung moved his head side by side lightly when he felt something pointing at his cheek one at a time. He ignored it at first, but it went for countless times that he just decided to just wake up. He first stretched up his arms and folded it down on his chest, and slowly opened his eyes.

He smiled softly, seeing the beautiful sky greeted him. He roamed his eyes around that his eyes suddenly widened when he saw who was beside him, “J–jennie?” he called out to the girl who was smiling cheerfully at him.

“Taehyung–ah, the last time I checked, your bed was comfortable enough to be slept on, but you chose the grass instead, are you alright?” she said with a tone of making fun of him.

Taehyung felt so surprised. He never thought that he’ll see her here, and be with her right now. But behind all that, he felt joy and excitement as he was with Jennie alone again. It was a long time since the last time they spent some time alone together.

But he was still confused on how she found him, “W–what are you doing here?” he asked slowly but Jennie just smiled at him then suddenly grabbed his arm and stretched it out, and the next thing he knew, she was lying down beside him, using his arm as her pillow.

“What am I doing here?” she asked, “Yah, you’ve been ignoring me for four consecutive days,” she whined while crossing her arms in front of her, she lied down sideways so she was facing his side view.

Taehyung looked down at her and let out a soft chuckle finding her whining so cute, and gosh how much he missed it, how much he missed her. He combed her long hair with his hand, “Mian,” he apologized sincerely, giving her one of his charming smile.

He saw Jennie’s face softened when she heard him apologize, “Why though, Taehyung–ah?” she asked curiously as she leaned more to him for she find his hand combing her hair relaxing, and comfortably rested her arm over his stomach.

Taehyung sighed and looked up to the sky as he held Jennie’s hand that was over him, “I’m just… Going through something,” he answered not looking at her, he was afraid she’ll find out that there’s something more, and it also involves her.

Jennie watched as Taehyung answered and avoided her gaze. She stared at him as he travelled his eyes around the sky, “You can tell me you know,” she whispered and she knew Taehyung heard it perfectly for they were the only people there plus they were too close with each other.

Taehyung smiled, “I know, but I prefer not to, for now. I know you understand Jennie,” he replied still not looking at her but tightened his hold on her as it comforted him, big time.

Jennie frowned a bit but shrugged it away quickly as she chose to respect his privacy and understand him. She wasn’t there for his problems anyway, she was there to have fun with him because she admitted to herself, that she missed him, she missed the playful and cheerful Taehyung.

She didn’t speak another word after that, even him. They just lied there and appreciated each other’s presence. Jennie closed her eyes as she loved the feeling of Taehyung’s hand continuously soothing her hair, plus his tight hold on her hand, where she felt safe and protected.

But she suddenly opened her eyes when she heard him spoke, “Geunde, Jennie–ssi,” she smiled, hearing that he’s calling her that way again and she knew that he’s feeling happy right now, “How did you know I’m here?” Taehyung asked with one eyebrow raised.

Jennie lifted her head and met his eyes, “Jimin texted you right?” she said with a playful smile then saw Taehyung nodded, “Well, you can figure out the rest with just that,” she added with a wink that earned a chuckle from Taehyung.

Jennie looked away from him again with a smile as she expected that he got what she was saying, and she was right for Taehyung didn’t say or ask anything after that. She looked around the surroundings then suddenly gasped when her eyes stopped on his scraped knee, “Yah what happened there?” she asked worriedly pointing at the wound on his knee.

Taehyung was busy looking around that he didn’t heard what she asked then also gasped when he took a good look on her, “Yah why are you lying here when you’re wearing that kind of shorts?”

“Yah your knee is bleeding!”

“Yah your short is too short!”

They shouted and glared at each other as they were now sitting on the grass. Another minute passed and they were still throwing daggers at each other then suddenly their eyes turned into a shape of crescents as they started laughing at each other’s whining.

“It’s called a short, that’s why it’s short,” Jennie said with a ‘duh’ expression.

Taehyung chuckled at her, “And it’s called a wound that’s why it’s bleeding,” then he copied her expression that made Jennie laugh as she found it funny when he also imitated her eye roll.

After that Jennie put her focus on his wounded knee, “How did you get this?” she asked as she wiped the small amount of blood that oozed out with her finger.

Taehyung grabbed his bag that was just beside him then searched for something that may clean her hand, and luckily he found a pack of tissue, “Here,” he handed it to her that she gladly accepted. She opened it and pulled out a piece and continued on aiding on his knee.

Taehyung winced in pain when Jennie accidentally put a little pressure on his wound when wiping the blood, “Oh sorry,” she said, “Yah how did you get this?” she asked again as she remembered that he still didn’t answer.

Taehyung scratched his head in embarrassment, “I didn’t see there was a rock on the way that I turned abruptly, I lost my balance and fell, then there,” he explained.

Jennie sighed, “Be careful next time,” she said strictly that Taehyung couldn’t do anything but to nod with a sad expression then suddenly smiled as he saw how worried and caring she was. He loved the attention she was giving him over a small scratch.

“Don’t you have a band–”

“And why were you laying down a while ago in those shorts? What if someone passed by and saw your beautiful legs?” he cut her words as he took this as his chance to scold her.

Jennie face palmed herself upon hearing his protests, “Then should I have said this,” she cleared and did her baby voice, “Taehyungie, look I’m wearing shorts,” then Jennie rolled her eyes from him.

Taehyung held back his laughter to avoid ruining the moment, “Of course! Then I could’ve had covered your legs with my extra sweaters here,” he said pointing inside his bag. Jennie sighed, she can’t believe that he was this conservative.

Their fighting continued on and on, Taehyung still making fun and throwing her nonsense statements much to Jennie’s annoyance. He wanted to laugh at her expressions, but chose not to for he was afraid Jennie would get mad at him.

Even though they became closer with each other, they still fight endlessly like in the past before Taehyung confessed to her. Their friends eventually got used to it that they didn’t bother to scold them anymore when they were fighting like this.

Jennie sighed in defeat then stood up, “I didn’t go here to fight, okay? I’m here to have fun with you,” she whined with a stomp of her feet on the ground.

Taehyung followed suit and stepped closer to her, this time letting out all the laughter he’s been holding that made Jennie pout. He held her face with both of his hands and smiled at her, “Okay, I’m sorry, my Jendeukie,” he sweetly said that caused Jennie’s pout to turn into a sweet smile.

“MY Jendeukie? What, am I yours?” she teasingly asked, it was meant for a joke but she regretted it immediately when she saw how Taehyung’s smile slowly dropped from his face. When Taehyung didn’t answer, she held his hands that were on her face and smiled lightly at him.

“Come on, show me some tricks!” she cheerfully said as she pulled him towards his skateboard.

Taehyung shrugged his sadness away and followed her. He decided he’ll take this chance to be freely with her, he could deal with his problems later. He stepped his left foot on the skateboard and the other on the ground, then turned to Jennie who was watching his every move, “What do you want me to show you?” he asked with a smile.

Jennie eyes lit up in excitement, “Anything! I don’t know anything about the tricks anyway, so,” Jennie said with a shrug. Taehyung just nodded then started kicking his right foot on the ground heading for the ramp near them.

A gasp of surprise and amazement came from Jennie as she watched Taehyung flawlessly do some basic skateboard tricks. She was amazed that he had this kind of talent and at the same time worried and nervous for what if he hurt himself again, he wasn’t wearing any protectors aside from his snapback.

Taehyung shot her a satisfied smile when he saw her applauding for him when he came back in front of her, “Taehyung that was so cool!” Jennie exclaimed in excitement.

He chuckled, “Those were only the basics!” he proudly said causing Jennie to laugh quietly.

“Can you teach me how?” she excitedly asked.

“Sure but I’ll teach you to balance and ride first,” he replied getting off his skateboard and giving way for her.

Jennie nodded, then made her way to the skateboard. He motioned her to put her less dominant foot on the board that Jennie followed putting her left foot on it then her more dominant foot which was the right one on the ground. Then Taehyung held both of her hands, supporting her balance, afraid that she might fall.

“Okay, then start kicking your right foot forward on the ground, put pressure on the board so it’ll move also once you continuously kick the ground,” Jennie did as to what she was told, she started kicking and also started moving letting out a squeal of amusement in the process.

When she felt that they were moving faster, she begun to panic that she looked up to Taehyung for help, “Omo omo! It’s getting fast! Don’t let go Taehyung–ah! Yah!” she chanted continuously in panic but Taehyung just laughed at her. It’s getting faster and faster and suddenly Jennie went out of her balance and fell, she closed her eyes waiting for the hard ground to hit her, but instead she landed on Taehyung who had his arms wrapped around her securely.

She sighed in relief knowing that Taehyung caught her. She lifted her head up then felt her heart beat rapidly as she was literally face to face with Taehyung who was looking at her worriedly, “Are you alright?” he asked, his hot breathe fanning on her face that caused her cheeks to blush.

Feeling embarrassed, she buried her face on his chest then nodded. Taehyung chuckled seeing her being shy, just earlier she was arguing bravely with him and now she’s like this, blushing over him. When Jennie recovered, she stood up properly and pulled Taehyung up with her.

She was about to say something but got interrupted by the rain that suddenly poured. She covered her head in panic and told Taehyung that they should run for the nearby shed. She was about to turn around but was swiftly back to facing Taehyung when he pulled her arm.

Jennie looked at him confusedly, “Yah, we’ll get sick, let’s go,” she said.

But instead of agreeing, Taehyung smiled at her and lend his hand out in front of her, “Can I have this dance?” he asked with his sweetest smile that Jennie can’t help but to return it and accept his hand.

Then he put his left hand on her back while Jennie put hers on his shoulder and they intertwined both of their right hand together. They started swaying as Taehyung hummed a random song. They stared at each other’s eyes, smiling, dancing with each other under the pouring rain.

Jennie sang along with his humming as she recognized the song, “I’m so in love with you, and I hope you know,” she sang making Taehyung smile widely hearing her beautiful voice.

“Darling your love is more than worth its weight in gold, we've come so far my dear, look how we've grown. And I wanna stay with you until we're grey and old,” Taehyung continued with his deep soothing voice. Those were the exact words he wanted to say, and the exact actions he wanted to do with Jennie. Grow old and stay with her. But sadly in his reality, after this day, he has to do what he has to do, for his family.

“Just say you won’t let go, ohhh, just say you won’t let go,” as Jennie sang those words, Taehyung couldn’t refrain himself anymore that he hugged her tightly, as he didn’t want for her to see that a tear escaped from his eyes.

Jennie was surprised by his sudden action but she didn’t hesitate to hug him back and return the tightness that he had given.

I won’t let go. Those were the words Taehyung wanted to tell her. But he can’t. He knew he can’t. As much as he wanted to say and do that, he can’t.

Because he has to…