Third's the Charm

Substitute Soulmate

¤¤¤¤¤

Alone at the kitchen table after clearing dishes, he couldn’t stop comparing the tiny smiles from Namjoo to the brilliantly smiling Namjoo in the pictures he’d seen. What kind of spell had taken that brilliance from her? What made Namjoo want to build that distance between them? It seemed he was the only one who couldn’t get close to her.

Mina had said something yesterday that caught his attention. That he wasn’t whom?

Sehun thought about the lost and confused Namjoo that had looked at him the previous night, as if he were someone else. The more he knew her the more curious he was.

The following morning, he waited for Namjoo in the parking lot. Today she didn’t walk around him but right up to him.

“Do you have time today?” Namjoo got right to the point.

“Depends when.” He tried to be coy.

“Lunch?”

“Sure.”

“Then…lunch it is,” she held his eyes. As they separated for work he wondered if her mood today had turned around from yesterday’s. Whatever it was, they were having lunch and he had some things he wanted to ask.

At twelve he went to Namjoo’s office and waited around hoping she was being held up somewhere. When she didn’t turn up he went downstairs thinking she’d gone before him. The cafeteria was densely populated with smells of food that caused his stomach to turn and grumble. From where he stood at a pole adjacent to the open room he searched for Namjoo in case they missed each other. The company was big in size after all and there were plenty of people always walking back and forth. Sometimes articles of clothing even looked identical.

He frowned when he caught an arm in the air moving to and fro. Squinting his eyes some more he recognized a head full of faded red hair. Namjoo was a natural brown and didn’t seem like someone interested in changing hair colors. Curious, Sehun stepped forth soon to recognize the young woman from Namjoo’s apartment.

“Hi,” Mina greeted.

Confused, he looked around wondering if perhaps Namjoo was also here. “What are you doing here?”

She tapped the table where a tray of food was. “I got you lunch since I already had a sandwich on the way.”

Sehun eyed the food before slowly lowering himself, “But where’s Namjoo?”

“I don’t know,” she shrugged.

Something was off but Sehun couldn’t quite figure it out yet.

“I hope you like what’s on the menu,” she said, “there’s not much of a variety here which . Considering how big the company is the food should be better quality wise. Don’t you think?”

“It’s not that bad,” he said digging in.

Mina grinned, “As expected, a man with an appetite is attractive.”

He stopped chewing and glanced up at her from the tray. “Are you here to meet Namjoo?”

“No.”

Settling his arms onto the table he straightened, “Is there a reason why you’re here?”

“Namjoo said I could come at lunch,” Mina innocently said. “Oh, and, I want to apologize for how I acted toward you. I know it was rude, but it was in the spur of the moment and you surprised me.”

“No, it’s all right.”

“Namjoo’s never invited anyone but family over, so I was shocked,” Mina explained. “You won’t hold anything against me?”

“I don’t have a reason to.”

She grinned wider, relieved. “Then that’s good. By the way, Namjoo said you two aren’t friends so why were you drinking with her?” quickly catching herself she added, “I mean, I am just curious. Namjoo says you two aren’t friends, so it’s natural I’d want to know.”

“We’re friends,” he stated.

“You are?” she questioned.

“We’re getting there,” he corrected, “so we will be.”

“Then...do you have a girlfriend?” Mina asked, eyes inching somewhat wider. Noticing his expression, she said, “You don’t have to be so surprised. I don’t like jumping around a person. I’d rather know right away to see whether it’s worth my time or not. In our age, isn’t it silly to still be shy? It’s just a yes or no.”

She was tenacious. More than he’d expected.

“No,” he answered.

Firmly smiling she said, “Then that’s good. So what do you do here?”

¤¤¤¤¤

“Have you eaten?” Namjoo spoke into the phone. Behind her, the noise of a cart wheeling away ceramic plates and utensils disappeared into the distance. Chattering a backdrop music to the radio that couldn’t be heard overhead.

“Yes, the kind nurse bought me something,” Yeol’s mother replied, her voice full of exhaustion and the overwhelming stress that egged her day after day.

“How is father?”

“The doctor is making sure he’s taking his medicine,” Yeol’s mother replied. “The nurses are looking after him. He’ll be discharged soon.” She paused and hesitated then asked, “But Namjoo, how much harder will it be at home? It’s just going to be this old woman. What should I do?”

Namjoo stared at the plate going cold in front of her. “I’ll think of something. Maybe I can pull together some money and hire a part time caretaker to help.”

She heard Yeol’s mother sniff on the other line, crying again. “We can do that. I can go into my savings, see how much is left.”

“Mother, if we need to, Yeol’s money is still in the bank,” Namjoo said.

“No,” the woman strongly opposed the suggestion. “No, we…I can’t do that. That…that money is yours. We shouldn’t waste it so casually. Your father would regret it so much. Oh, the doctor is here. I should go. Don’t skip your meals. Are you eating?”

“I am. Please take care, mother.” Namjoo hung up and finally set her phone down. She had less than the half hour to eat now. She’d come hungry as a bull but now she wasn’t feeling it anymore. The things moods could do.

“How are Yeol’s parents?” Haneul wondered.

“Not too well,” Namjoo sighed, “but they’re hanging in there.”

“It must be so hard,” her friend sympathized. “They’re getting old after all. Can I do something to help? You don’t look so well these days.”

“I’ll figure it out,” Namjoo tried smiling. “They have no one else to rely on. I should do what I can.”

“What about your parents? Do they know?”

“I’m just glad they’re still healthy and able. They have the store to look after, so I don’t want them closing business to come up. It’s baseless,” Namjoo said.

“I can help you if you need it,” Haneul offered. “Yeol was a good friend of mine, too.”

“I know,” Namjoo grinned, “like I said, it’s nothing I can’t handle right now.”

Heaving a sigh Haneul muttered, “If that kid Mina could act rationally for once, you’d have less of a headache.”

At that, Namjoo thought about the lunch date she’d set up for Mina and Sehun. They were probably eating together right now.

¤¤¤¤¤

It was painfully obvious that for the second time Namjoo had tried setting him up. Why? Because she thought he needed help getting a girl? Or because she felt sorry for him? Perhaps, to get him off her tail?

There were at least a hundred reasons he could come up with and they all offended him in one way or another. Sehun stared at the time, couldn’t wait for his client to shut up so he could shake hands and bid the forty-year-old farewell. More paper filling, pens flowing across lines, and then it was over.

People were slowly flowing out of the company like bees returning home to deposit honey. Sehun wasn’t heading that way. Instead, he was going over in his head the previous locations Yoon Haneul had shown him during their date-slash-tour.

A few vehicles were leftover in the underground parking lot. Searching around he discovered that Namjoo hadn’t left yet. Sehun waited in his car. Minutes later orange lights blinked and he turned to see Namjoo striding across the empty lot toward her car. Pushing his door open he stepped out.

“Oh, geez, you scared me,” Namjoo halted and pressed a hand to her chest.

“You surprised me, too.”

She looked confused. “What?”

“You heading home?”

“Well, yeah.” She spoke the obvious.

“Don’t go yet cause you owe me a date,” Sehun said. “You set me up today.”

She blinked. “Lunch wasn’t a date.”

“You’re not going to apologize at least?”

Flustered, Namjoo said, “Sorry about lying.”

“Good, you admit it, so you owe me a date for lying. You said we were going to have lunch, but we didn’t.” Sehun explained.

Namjoo opened to retort but he gestured his head toward the car for her to get in.

“Look, I really can’t,” Namjoo started with her excuses.

“Why? You’re worried about your dog?” Sehun asked. “Have the fierce girl look after him. She’s staying with you, right?”

“Hey, I get it if you’re upset I lied about lunch…”

Ignoring her he walked over to the passenger’s side, pulled the door open. He heard Namjoo sigh. “I have my car.”

“We can come back for it.”

“I don’t think I want to leave it here in the parking lot.”

“Then I’ll follow you home and we can carpool,” Sehun suggested. He noticed the twitch in Namjoo’s face. “We can save the environment with the little effort, don’t you think?”

“Before nine, we come back for my car,” Namjoo bargained.

Firmly smiling victorious he nodded. Namjoo’s car beeped again as she locked it and strode toward his car. Didn’t even glance at him as she got inside. Closing the door he circled the car and got into his chair just as Namjoo zipped the seatbelt across her body.

“So where’d you go for lunch?” Sehun wondered when they entered the traffic busy roads.

“I met Haneul,” Namjoo answered, her eyes out the window studying the skyscrapers.

“Did you tell Mina about me?”

“She’s a nice girl,” Namjoo told. “A little rebellious, but she’s a good person.”

“I believe you,” Sehun said which made her turn. He shot her a smile that made her turn away.

The sun was still young in the sky and he doubted it would fall by the time it struck nine. Sehun still wanted to visit the 63 Building anyway. It was the one of the last stops he hadn’t been to yet. He would explore it with Namjoo.

He pulled into the heavily populated parking lot and spent several minutes searching for an empty spot. They came across three tourist buses parked across empty spaces and finally snatched one about seven minutes later. The height of one of the tallest buildings in the city did not match the number of people inside. All booths and tables at restaurants were occupied. Lines at counters extended so far out the doors it lost its formation outside. From every which angle a child either cried or whined. Chatter was unanimous. The doors to the elevator opened and closed simultaneously.

“Whoa…” he muttered surprised.

“It’s less crowded by the aquarium,” Namjoo said, “unless you want to eat first.”

“Then lets go see the aquarium,” Sehun suggested. He turned to look around for the entrance to said place but Namjoo was already leading the way. Sehun ended up following her. A few minutes later they lined up for tickets. When he saw Namjoo digging her wallet out he said, “I’ll pay.”

“Of course you will,” she said, “for yours.”

He stared at her flabbergasted. Barely half an hour later they finally got their tickets and proceeded into the aquarium. They joined people watching manatees swim around and walked through the underwater tunnel mulling over sharks. Phone cameras constantly flashed. Children pressed their faces to the glass curiously. He and Namjoo barely talked but quietly passed through. There was only once where he pulled her back to watch one of the employees play around with the stingray.

“It’s expensive here,” Namjoo finally spoke when they left the aquarium. “You can come back next time to see the other stuff. Do you want to eat or go up to the roof? There’s also a café there.” She glanced at her watch, “And it’s almost nine.”

“Stingy, are you?” he asked then eyed the elevator. “Lets buy tickets to go up.”

It was less of a date than a friend hangout. He was making all the decisions but he was starting to see another side to Namjoo. Still cold she was and distant, but the more time he spent with her he felt he’d get to know her better through it.

They waited long and finally entered the packed elevator. It seemed everyone had to try to make themselves two sizes smaller than they were in order to squeeze in. Sehun’s ears popped on the way up and finally breathed when the elevator stopped at the last floor. Tonight probably wasn’t the best of nights to come.

The sun had dipped into the sky casting an array of pretty blue, orange, and yellow hues. A lay of clouds stretched through the sky moving slowly over the city. Business lights were flickering on one by one. A crowd of yellow headlights glowed between condominiums and intersecting roads. Up here people gasped awestruck by the view. Phones were out and the perfect smell of coffee permeating the air spoke tales of late summer nights and endless dreams.

Namjoo had already left him and was by the edge staring out into the beyond. Deciding she wouldn’t ditch him up here he went toward the café to order them coffee. On the way, he passed couples and young teenagers on their evening dates. Young and out of school. Middle agers discovering love could bloom again. Elders still hanging on together into the end of life. Sweet images of lovers made his heart glow.

A warm wind brushed past. A scent of musk and sweat flowed by followed by joking and laughter and languages he did not know.

“Your coffee,” the female behind the counter said.

“Thank you,” receiving the drinks he turned around to start back toward Namjoo. She was still glued in one area, staring into nothingness.

Walking up to her he held the coffee out, “Have it. I bought you one.” When she took it he asked, “What are you thinking about?”

“Nothing.” She was either lying or it was the truth. He couldn’t tell.

Sehun turned to admire the scenery. “It’s pretty up here. And the air’s fresh.”

“It makes me nostalgic,” Namjoo quietly said. He turned to look at her. Her eyes were amiss, forlorn. She hadn’t taken even a sip of her coffee. Just cupped it between her hands as if it might warm a part of her.

Suddenly, Namjoo appeared lost and lonely, alone. Sehun wasn’t sure what to do or say. Could he hug her?

Namjoo turned and said as she walked away, “Lets go.”

It was 9:00. Time had passed by faster than he’d anticipated. The drive back was somewhat quieter than expected. Sehun kind of wondered if she would delve into her husband with him. She could say something at least…about that guy. He’d seen her pictures, was still curious and open to hearing about him. Namjoo in love was a much happier person than the Namjoo alone.

Why had she stopped smiling?

“Thanks,” Namjoo said when they reached the underground parking lot again and she began pulling her keys out.

“For?” he asked. “I didn’t buy you dinner or anything.”

“Well…I mean…” Namjoo wrapped her hands around her keys.

“The date?” he tried, wondering if it would bring a smile to her lips because it probably hadn’t been a date.

Growing silent, Namjoo didn’t glance at him but push the door open and step out. Had he gone too far with something he’d said? Pushing his door open he stepped out as well.

“Did I say something?” Sehun worried when he reached her at the trunk of his car.

“It’s nothing.” Head lowered Namjoo muttered and passed. Sehun followed her.

“You can just tell me if I said something wrong.”

Namjoo finally turned when they reached her car. “It’s nothing. I had a good time, thanks.”

He stared down at her still trying to figure her out. “That’s it? ‘Thanks. I had a good time.’”

Her brows threatened to form a frown. “What?”

“I know I’ve said it before, but you don’t hate me, do you?”

“I don’t.”

Breathing a smile he said, “Then that’s good. I had a good date, too.”

“It wasn’t,” Namjoo corrected. “I’m not going to argue it with you.”

“Well, I think it was close to a date,” Sehun said. “Since you initiated the first two, I’ll initiate the third.”

Namjoo looked at him without a clue to what he was saying. Without waiting a beat Sehun leaned forward to give her a quick peck on the cheek.

“And dates always end this way,” Sehun smiled. “Good night.”