Step

Substitute Soulmate

“I should’ve brought something for us to sit on,” Sehun said.

“It’s fine,” Namjoo assured.

He noticed her glance at her phone before sliding it into her pocket. Curious he asked, “Are you waiting for a call?”

He had hoped her husband’s family wouldn’t need her today, but if they called she would go. For a second he observed Namjoo for fatigue. Had she been getting a good amount of rest?

“No, it’s just…” She looked to be on the verge of building up a lie. He understood she wouldn’t talk to him about her personal problems, but he at least hoped that she would be willing to share something.

“My dad called early in the morning,” Namjoo explained. “He said my mom would call later to talk about something.”

“Is that bad or good?”

“Well,” Namjoo started peering off into the distance, waiting for her dog to come running back, “I have a bad feeling.” She quickly turned calling out, “Hey boy! Come here!”

Sehun watched Olly return disappointed. If she had finished her sentence he would know what was going on. Plopping onto the grass exhausted, Namjoo’s dog stared up at him with blaming eyes then at her adoringly when she offered him water.

Minutes later they ended up sitting as Olly napped on Namjoo’s lap. The dog was either lazy or the heat was draining his energy. He watched her gently rub his head and listen to the dog snore. Olly simply absorbed every last affection Namjoo seemed to possess. Sehun could see she loved her dog a lot. Always talking to him, walking him, and making sure he enjoyed himself almost like spoiling a child.

Watching them he wondered if she had become a mother she would be like this. Attentive and caring and especially loving.

“How did you meet him?” Sehun asked.

“What?” she glanced at him.

Most likely she hadn’t been paying attention to him. Perhaps she’d been lost in her thoughts. Sehun almost hesitated but he was curious. Too curious.

“I was just curious,” he excused. “Your husband. How’d you meet him?”

Someone was snapping pictures of a pair of butterflies dancing over flowers. Nearby, someone shot a frisbee into the air and a man laughed. Here, alone, they were void of distraction. Yet Namjoo was far off by herself.

“He sat next to me in speech class,” Namjoo began her story, “I’d just given my ten-minute speech, was dying of embarrassment and anxiety. I didn’t know anyone in class and I couldn’t look at anyone. Then he tapped me on the shoulder and said good job. I looked forward to seeing him every day in class after that. One day he forgot a pencil, so I offered him my pen. We just…kind of became friends.”

A tiny smile perched on her lips as she reminisced her most happy days. He was in awe that someone had moved her so deeply. As if the heaven and earth had come colliding together the day she met her husband and shifted apart the day he died. Those memories were probably things she wanted to keep special and to herself.

The pug stirred before suddenly leaping toward his shoes. Not too long after he began wrestling his shoe lace loose.

“Olly, no,” Namjoo scolded.

“It’s ok,” he assured then pulled his foot away. The dog jumped after his shoe. Amused, he poked the dog in the side. Olly yapped at him irritated before he wrestled the dog onto his back with a hand and began giving him a belly rub.

A while later they began walking toward the park entrance. Olly’s leash dragged from Namjoo’s hand as he tried scurrying after another dog in the parking lot. The day was still bright and the sun high in the sky. Half the day still needed to be wasted. It didn’t feel fulfilling to let them just leave.

He hesitated before saying, “Do you want to see some movies?”

She looked at him curiously. They both glanced down when Olly began clawing at his shoes again. This time he bent down to pick her dog up. Olly nestled against his arm naturally and stared off into the parking lot.

“I don’t know…”

“You don’t have anything to do,” he quickly interjected. “Olly can rest and run around at my place.”

She studied him…hard. “Are dogs allowed?”

“It’ll be all right,” he lied. There was a no pet policy, but it wasn’t like anyone cared…he hoped. “There’s a movie box near my place. We can rent a movie for a dollar…”

“I know what they are,” she cut him off then glanced at her dog breathing calmly and ready to snooze again. “Just for a few hours.”

He grinned, “Of course.”

Namjoo glanced in the direction of her car, “Where do you live again?”

¤¤¤¤¤

Unsure about what she was doing she glanced over at Sehun. He’d taken over the driver’s seat saying he’d drive back, assuring her he didn’t live far from the park. That was nice to know, but then why were they going to his place?

For nothing, she reminded herself. It was just a friend inviting her out, something like that. They were just doing what friends did. No big deal. But Namjoo had to use some effort to convince herself that. There was no doubt she was still attracted to him even if she knew with all her might he could not be her Yeol.

She had to both keep it cool in order to convince herself and show that she had no interest in him. For his small efforts, she owed him a chance to be a friend. And anyway, her dog had already given in for the day.

Pulling into the parking lot they got out. Following him over to the movie box she scanned the movies available. She wasn’t interested in seeing movies anymore. Ever since Yeol’s death she had been staring at the TV, just flipping through the channels until she found something interesting to cure her boredom. Before that they had gone out to dinners, on walks, to the movies, and concerts together. Once in a long while she’d go out with Haneul upon her pleading.

Was she doing something she shouldn’t be doing? Growing nervous Namjoo took a half step back. Once more she questioned herself about what she was doing. Sehun caught her attention when he asked her to decide between two movies. Still doubting herself she gave a random answer and not a minute later was following him down the hall toward his place.

They were just having a regular hangout, but Namjoo felt all kinds of hesitation to awkwardness. She hadn’t done this with anyone in so long her mind filled with worry. What would Yeol think?

“Do you want something to drink?” Sehun asked.

Lowering Olly Namjoo glanced around the familiar apartment. She had been here before, but it still felt unfamiliar. Point being this was a man’s place and there was no reason being here. She about wheeled around to walk right out, but Sehun came over with a couple glasses of water.

“Sit down,” he invited.

Numbly moving toward his couch she sat and watched him put in the DVD. It was all right she assured herself. They were just watching a movie and then it would be over after an hour. She just needed to sit tight and behave herself.

Lifting Olly off the floor Sehun took a seat near the arm rest as the movie started. Oh god, what was he doing? Treating Olly like a child and so comfortably?

Friends, she repeated to herself, they were just doing what friends did. Forcing herself to stop thinking she glared into the TV. She briefly laughed a few times and they looked at each other to share confirmation of amusement. She hoped she wasn’t being obvious or too weird.

A quarter of the way into the movie her phone rang. It was her mother calling. Quickly answering she went into the kitchen.

“What are you doing?” her mother greeted.

“Nothing, I’m just at home,” Namjoo lied in a hushed voice. Her mother would probably scold her if she knew her daughter was in a man’s home. The other obvious reason being she was a widowed woman who hadn’t been involved in three years. A single woman walking right into a man’s den would garner disapproval from her parents. Everyone knew she had been married once. Everyone knew her husband had passed away. She was a stain.

“Then that’s good,” her mother said. “I was talking to Madam Ko and she has an elder son. You know our families have been good friends.”

“Mom, please.” Namjoo felt her guts sinking.

“Namjoo, just listen to me,” her mother pleaded. “It’s been three years. And Madam Ko doesn’t mind what has happened. She understands what you’ve been through. I hear her son is interested in getting to know you. You two used to play as children. Reconnect with him and we can wait and see what happens.”

“I don’t…”

“It’s enough, Namjoo,” her mother cut her off and persuaded, “just see him once. He’s a very handsome man. Your father and I would feel much better if there was someone to look after you. You’ve been living alone for so long, we’re always worried about you. Cha…Chanyeol’s parents can’t be waiting on you forever. You need to make something of your future.”

“Mom…” She was conflicted, understood where her mom was coming from. She didn’t want them to decide what time was best for her. She knew she had been lagging in life since Yeol died. She had closed up, locked herself in, but these days…this year she felt she had been doing better.

That was until Sehun came to her smiling like Yeol. But that was a different story.

“I will see you tomorrow,” her mother ended their conversation. “Wear a pretty dress. We’ll come to see you at lunch.”

Namjoo opened to speak but her mom had already hung up. The dial tone beeped into her ear hauntingly. Lowering the mobile device, she ended the call and stood there in Sehun’s small kitchen brooding over the conversation. So, it was finally happening. Her mom had taken charge, had decided it was time for her to remarry.

The only thing was she wasn’t thinking about a relationship. For it to come to her so unnaturally made her less willing.

“Are you all right?” She turned around to find Sehun standing by the corner.

“Oh…yea,” she lied slipping the phone into her pocket. “It’s nothing.”

She glanced away guiltily then at him again to find him observing her.

“I paused the movie,” he said. When she followed him back into the living room she glanced at Olly comfortably lying on his couch as if he belonged there all along. Even while the movie played Namjoo thought about nothing else but Sehun sitting not too far from her. Later that evening she sat on the edge of her bed staring at Yeol’s picture.

¤¤¤¤¤

The time read midnight when Sehun opened his eyes. Shifting onto his side he pulled the blanket tucking it under his arm. He was a little more lighthearted when he reminisced the way Namjoo looked that day. She had been in a good mood heeding his suggestions though she hadn’t stayed for dinner. That was all right, too. Honestly, he didn’t expect much. All he cared about was that they were starting out on the right path. To being friends…or whatever.

Satisfied with the day well spent he closed his eyes and slept. He awoke early the next day, threw an apron on, and set himself to work. That morning he didn’t catch Namjoo by the elevator, but he did notice her pass the department a few times scurrying down the hall with papers tucked under an arm. Few hours later lunch had his co-workers flocking out as he headed down the hall. One glance into Namjoo’s empty office sent his anticipation spiraling.

“Are you looking for the Team Leader?” Sehun spun around to find Mr. Go standing behind him.

“Did she go somewhere?” Sehun wondered.

“She just went to the lobby,” Mr. Go told.

“Oh…then, thanks,” he awkwardly made his leave clutching the lunch box close to him. Hopefully the old man hadn’t seen the lunch box and jumped to conclusions about him. Entering the elevator, he punched the button for the lobby and waited. As soon as the doors flew open he hurried out immediately spotting Namjoo in the center of the huge lobby. The revolving doors whirred loudly letting in whoops of hot air that flew her loose hair astray. For a few seconds, he stood watching the chiffon material of her blouse billow against the breeze.

Namjoo was dressed just like any other day, but there was an air different about her. Hard to describe. Not that anything was off. Her makeup was minimal. She hadn’t overdressed. He was sure she hadn’t gone shopping for a new wardrobe. She was just the person he’d met after drinking and passing out in his home. Stiff, cold, and a pro at distancing herself. But something was different, so he stared.

The elevator sounded when it opened to the lobby alerting him. Catching himself he stepped toward her wondering if he had down-dressed for the day. Perhaps he should have ironed his shirt. Did he smell weird? His client had been smoking before coming in and Sehun had sat with him for an hour.

“What are you doing?” he wondered approaching her. Glancing down he saw her clutching her phone between both hands. Eyes back on her, “You’re not having lunch?”

“Oh…no, not yet.”

“Then, lets go,” he said gesturing toward the cafeteria. Holding up his lunch box he grinned, “I packed lunch.”

“You didn’t need to.”

“Since you made me lunch the other day, thought I’d return the favor.”

“I was just paying you back.” She reminded.

“Then you’re in my debt again,” he grinned. This only meant she would have to make another meal for him. They could turn this into a cycle. He didn’t think he’d mind. Mood climbing higher he grabbed her arm to lead her toward the cafeteria. She’d come with him, they’d eat but then…

“Namjoo!” A woman shouted.

Halting he turned to see a short woman scurry in. She was dressed casually in a light denim jacket and wore a dress underneath. Hair short and permed but unlike Namjoo, she was on the round side. The elder wore make up that caked around her wrinkle lines and she smiled just like Namjoo.

Her mother.

Nervous, he let go of Namjoo and gave a brief bow. The woman only gave him a glance before laying all attention on her one and only daughter. Touching her daughter’s hands, she gently tugged her forward smiling ecstatically, as if she had brilliant news she couldn’t wait to share.

“What are you doing?” her mother questioned brightly. “Well, say hello. He’s come a long way. You do remember him, don’t you?”

That was when Sehun glanced behind Namjoo’s mother to see a tall man dressed in suit and tie. He was suave with gelled jet black hair. Above all, he appeared older…a lot older.

Namjoo hesitantly gave the man a once over. “Hello. I’m sorry, it’s been so long I don’t quite remember your name.”

Her mother gently hit her arm, “How could you?” turning to the man with a gentle smile she assured, “She’s just playing you.” Switching attention back to her daughter, the woman continued, “Dokeun took off today just to come down to meet you. Isn’t that nice?”

“It has been a while,” he commented. “It’s nice to see you again, munchkin.”

Munch…kin?

Sehun glanced at Namjoo for her reaction. If she was embarrassed she wasn’t showing it but she sure did press her lips together firmly.

“And you are…” leaning forward, noticing him at last, Namjoo’s mother eyed him.

“Oh um…hello,” Sehun greeted taken aback by her sudden attention. “I’m Oh Sehun. I just started working here.”

“That’s nice,” she commented nonchalantly without that graceful smile she presented this Dokeun. Turning to Namjoo she told, “I reserved a restaurant. Dokeun offered to drive. You can take some time off, like I asked?”

“Yes,” Namjoo obediently replied.

“Lets get going. We shouldn’t be late.” Taking charge, the woman shifted to head outside. Namjoo didn’t move. A large part of him hoped she wouldn’t go.

“Namjoo,” the woman deepened her tone with order.

Appearing conflicted, Namjoo gave him a short glance then followed the woman and that guy who’d called her munchkin. He stood there chewing his lower lip. Uselessly retreating to the cafeteria, he sat at an empty table with the lunch box untouched. Appetite amiss he thought about the food he had put much effort into.

“Sehun!” Hyeok Seok plopped down into the seat across from him. A cup of ice cold coffee sat in his grip. The dew quickly created a puddle when he set the cup down and reached over for the lunch box curiously. “What did you make?”

Peering inside he exclaimed shamelessly, “What is this?! Looks delicious! Why aren’t you eating?”

“Have it,” Sehun murmured.

“I already ate, but…if you say so.” The man greedily pulled the contents of the lunch box out.

Sehun glanced at the lean man and off into the distance. “You been set up with someone by your parents before?”

“What, me?” Hyeok Seok questioned mouth full. “All the girls I grew up with hate me. All my parents’ friends’ daughters abhor me. It’s like I’m the plague.”

“Aren’t you lucky,” he muttered unappeased.

Namjoo had been hooked up with some guy she knew. By her mother. Sehun didn’t really like it.


***oOOOooooOOhhHhhhh he's developing feelings