The Other You

Substitute Soulmate

Sehun stared at the distressed person in front of him. The words in his mouth danced but he didn’t say anything. Lately he had looked for her, too, but it wasn’t with that kind of romantic need. Did Namjoo mean the same?

Lowering her head, she covered her face with a hand. He heard her mutter to herself, “You’re not him.”

Sehun reached over to touch her shoulder but Namjoo lifted her head forcing him to withdraw his arm. Taking her cup, she tilted her head back and gulped the burning liquid. Taking a 360 spin, Namjoo laughed as the shine in her eyes disappeared. Pouring herself another glass she clinked it against his, “You’re not just going to sit there, are you?”

The rest of the time Namjoo laughed with him, telling him how she’d had difficulty potty training her dog. Even telling him about how Olly pooped all over her house, smearing the brown all over her floor. The cleanup had been disastrous as Olly fought with her to eat his own poop. That was as far as they got before Namjoo pulled out her phone to check for the time even when she had a watch on. When she dropped her phone he finally called it a night.

“I can drive,” Namjoo insisted when they walked out of the tent. As soon as she pulled her keys out of her bag she dropped them. “Geez, so annoying,” she mumbled and bent down to pick her keys up. Before she might end up picking herself up, Sehun grabbed the keys for her.

“Where’s your car?” he asked.

“Oh, I can drive,” she continued to insist, but Sehun pressed the car key remote and watched the tail lights of her vehicle blare an orange light.

“Come on,” he grabbed her arm to pull her along.

“I told you about my dog?” Namjoo asked letting him pull her. “So, this one time when I came home…”

He let her go on without stopping her. Pulling the passenger door open he helped her inside. Namjoo was still telling her infamous dog story when he closed the door and walked around the car to the driver’s side. Her voice picked up when he got behind the wheel. Starting the engine, he turned to see that she hadn’t bothered putting her seatbelt on.

“Ok, where’s your house?” he asked then muttered to himself, “I can finally drop you off this time.”

“Four-o-two,” Namjoo replied then held out the count of her fingers as she said the numbers, “four-o-two.”

“Four-o-two, right,” Sehun nodded as he drove off. Namjoo continued rattling off dog stories along the drive and he wondered if she had nothing else to talk about. Recognizing the familiar building he pulled up and into the underground parking lot. Spotting an empty spot, he swiftly turned the car and parked.

The second he released his seatbelt Namjoo was out her door on all fours. He stared, frowning at the absurdity. The farthest Namjoo had gone with her drunken behavior was kissing him. He hadn’t imagined she could get any worse.

Hurrying toward her he pulled her up. Namjoo’s arms swung like a ticking clock and she laughed before doing it again.

“Ok, that’s fun but you don’t want to get hurt,” he said helping her through the sliding doors and lowered her arms. “What floor again?” he asked staring at the elevator.

“Four-o-two,” she repeated enunciating each number like a grade schooler.

“Four-o-two, four-o-two,” he repeated to himself in a hushed whisper. When the elevator doors opened, he pressed for the fourth floor after letting her go.

That was his mistake. Namjoo immediately slumped toward the floor, pressing her cheek against the cool silver wall. She mumbled, whimpered kind of and then sniffed as if she’d been sobbing. “Yeol,” he heard her call and press her palm against the barrier as if to hug someone or something.

He turned when the doors opened and a woman on the other side stared at them.

“Oh, um, excuse us,” Sehun awkwardly said. He turned to help pull Namjoo to her feet but she yanked her arm away and became heavier. Sinking back into the wall she continued whimpering. The doors threatened to close. He sighed hopeless. Quickly shooting his arm out to keep the doors open he tried again and this time hefted Namjoo up into his arms. Offering the waiting lady a last awkward smile he hurried down the hall hoping that if Namjoo ever ran into her she could explain herself better than he could.

The white doors appeared identical to each other, the rectangles stretching far out beyond him. The beige marble tiles beneath his feet were so clean he saw his blurred reflection quickly seeking Namjoo’s apartment. Every four doors there was an intersection in the hall. Then he finally spotted 402 in shiny gold numbers.

Groaning when he realized he needed a card to unlock Namjoo’s door. Struggling to keep her up he angled his knee up against her back to help as he stretched a hand over her. He ended up shifting her closer so that she was literally breathing into his neck. Namjoo mumbled something that made her breath bounce and cause goosebumps to rise across his skin. At last he managed to reach into the purse lying on her belly. After some searching he managed to pull something rectangular out. The keylock beeped. Olly barked noisily when he entered the apartment.

“Wait, stop,” he called out when the pug attacked his leg. “No, I’m not playing with you.”

He spun around in search of the bedroom finally spotting it through an open doorway. And there it was, a bed. Finally laying Namjoo down he panted. Placing hands on hips he turned around to see the dog eyeing him from the doorway with tongue hanging out of his mouth. Feeling awkward he turned around to pull Namjoo’s shoes off.

She had been so drunk earlier and he so intent on getting her home that he hadn’t realized she wasn’t in her usual heels. She was still in her shorts and t-shirt. Sehun didn’t recall touching her legs earlier nor did he remember how silky they felt. He felt his throat tighten. As he touched her ankle Namjoo moved shifting onto her side. This time he felt his hand glide across her skin and quickly pulled back.

When he looked at her he saw her innocently hugging a crochet blanket, burying her face into the soft folds. No one he knew slept with a blanket anymore, but Namjoo looked comfortable and at home. Returning attention to her shoes he pulled them off and set them down beside the bed. Pictures on the night table caught his attention as he straightened.

Sehun first stared at the brilliant smile plastered across Namjoo’s face then to the man hugging her from behind. It looked like they’d taken a trip somewhere because he saw a strip of water behind them. Beside the framed picture, he spotted a man alone grinning for the camera handsomely. He was a looker.

Sehun didn’t have to think hard or ask. That was Namjoo’s beloved husband whom Haneul said she was so close to. At the memory, he turned to see Namjoo deep asleep, hugging the blanket tightly as if it might be her husband. Feeling nostalgic for her he pulled the blanket out from under her and tucked her in.

“Shh!” he placed a finger to his lips when he turned around to see Namjoo’s pug still waiting. “Don’t bark. She’s sleeping.”

Walking out Sehun closed the door making sure to leave it a crack open. Lifting his head he came face to face with the wedding portrait hanging over the couch. There was Namjoo again smiling that thousand watt smile, her husband kissing her cheek. He recognized the wedding gown and the tux. The day of their wedding.

It looked like a shot right out of some catalogue. A happy couple about to start a life together.

He suddenly realized that Namjoo never smiled that genuinely anymore. Olly clawed at his pants and he glanced down at the dog who suddenly sat and whined.

Crouching down Sehun rubbed the dog’s head, “Hi, buddy.” Olly’s mouth opened into a smile and his tongue lolled out. “So you’re the one that keeps her company.”

His attention turned to the door upon a click and watched a red head walk in. Their eyes immediately locked. Panic crossed her face. Before he could stop her she started screeching, “Namjoo! Namjoo! Namjoo! Someone broke into your house!”

Sehun rose to his feet as she ran by, her eyes trained hard on him but still screaming. This situation had been unforeseen and he wasn’t exactly sure who to explain himself to. He didn’t know Namjoo lived with someone. He thought she only had her dog. Shouldn’t he be the one shocked?

The girl disappeared into the bedroom and he felt bad Namjoo had to be roused awake by such noise. A moment later he heard the girl yelling, “Are you drunk?! Why did you drink!”

There was a mumbling and another moment later, Namjoo staggered to the door looking as if she might trip over her own feet. And she did trip over her own feet when she tried stepping out. Sehun hurried to help. Olly followed still happily drooling.

The girl swat his hand away when he touched Namjoo. “Don’t touch my brother’s wife. She’s married, you know.”

Namjoo’s husband’s sister. He’d remember that.

Stepping back, he watched the young girl help Namjoo to her feet and support her. “Who is he?” the young girl interrogated still looking at him like he was a criminal.

“Water, water,” Namjoo mumbled incoherently trying to rub the alcohol out of her by massaging her face.

The young girl turned to him glaring. “Get water.”

“Oh…” he managed turning away. He searched the kitchen and discovered a glass.

“Water’s in the fridge,” the girl yapped.

Pulling the refrigerator open he discovered a jar of water. After pouring a glass he walked back to them and handed Namjoo the water. The young lady snatched it from him and held it to Namjoo’s lips. After a sip she exclaimed, “I’m fine.”

As if, he thought. Sehun watched her stagger to the couch and sat down. Olly trotted after her and sat at her feet like a guard. Namjoo’s shorts drew up her legs noticeably. Catching sight of the fleece blanket nearby he walked over to wrap it around her shoulders. He heard the click of a tongue before her sister-in-law stomped over to push him aside and help cover Namjoo up with the blanket. She turned to him with another glare as if suspecting the dirtiest of his thoughts.

“Who are you?” she demanded plopping down beside Namjoo to protect her from this man she didn’t know.

“I’m Sehun. I’m a co-worker.”

“Don’t lie!” she spat. “You drugged her, didn’t you?”

Sehun rolled his eyes in disbelief. “I didn’t do anything to her.”

“Then why is she like this?” the young girl who didn’t seem to know the obvious accused. Olly barked as well and Sehun shot the dog a look.

“She can’t hold her drink,” Sehun said.

“I’ll kill you if you did anything to her,” she threatened.

Sehun heaved a sigh wondering what he was getting himself into. Suddenly Namjoo slapped her thigh. “You guys are noisy!”

“Namjoo, someone broke in,” the girl leaned in to whisper all too loudly.

“Look, I didn’t,” Sehun tried but caught Namjoo looking up at him with drowsy eyes. He was dead if she didn’t recognize him.

“Yeol…” she whispered.

“He’s not!” the girl beside him raised her voice. “He’s not him!” turning to look at him accusingly she ordered, “Get out! Before I call the cops, get out!”

Sehun opened his mouth in his own defense but one look at Namjoo who appeared lost and confused made him purse his lips. Turning around he left.

¤¤¤¤¤

Namjoo was groggy, her mind spinning. Someone very familiar had just walked out. “Yeol came back.”

Getting to her feet Mina yelled, “That’s not my brother!” shaking Namjoo’s shoulders, “Yeol is dead! Namjoo, he’s not coming back! Why are you like this?”

Tears welled up in Namjoo’s eyes sliding down one by one. “But that was him…”

Mina shook her again, “Wake up, Namjoo! Why won’t you wake up!” Stressed, Mina sobbed, “Yeol isn’t coming back. He never will. He left us.”

Sobbing harder, Namjoo buried her face into her hands once more, drowning in her sorrow. Hugging her, Mina cried with her.

¤¤¤¤¤

The night air had an undercurrent of chilliness. Sehun glanced up at the apartment building as he raised his hand out for an oncoming cab. After directing the cab back toward the drinking tent so he could fetch his car, he leaned back into the back seat. He could still see the brilliantly smiling Namjoo with her handsome husband.

Three years was it? What had Namjoo done in the three years after her husband passed away?

Sehun thought about the glare Namjoo’s sister-in-law shot him. Obviously, her husband’s family liked her very much if they were still around her. They were protective of her as if they never wanted to let her go.

The next morning Sehun waited for Namjoo. She was a little behind her usual arriving time, but she drove in and parked a few spaces away from him. Today, she had makeup on and it covered her exhausted eyes well. She wore a plain blue blouse with black pants and classic black heels to match.

“Hi,” Sehun greeted when she started toward the elevator. He turned to walk with her. “You feeling ok?”

“Like any other day,” Namjoo replied without looking at him. She stopped and turned, “Lets not have this conversation inside, all right?”

He raised a brow.

“I’m sorry about yesterday. It’s kind of foggy but I can kind of remember Mina yelling at you,” Namjoo explained. “There are issues, so she’s staying with me for a few days.”

“Is that the fierce girl from yesterday?” he asked the obvious.

“Yes,” Namjoo replied and turned to walk away.

And still, she said nothing about her husband. She must know that he’d seen her pictures. Did she have no impression of him? Didn’t she think of him as a friend at all?

Grabbing her arm, he said, “Hey, lets have lunch later. Don’t worry, I didn’t cook anything today.”

Namjoo glanced down at his hand and eased her arm out. “I’m not sure.”

“I’ll treat,” he promised.

She only offered a tiny smile, “Not today.”

He watched her walk away.

¤¤¤¤¤

Mina said nothing this morning but she had asked about the man in her apartment yesterday. After confirming that Sehun was indeed a co-worker, Mina had blushed madly and apologized. On the other hand, Namjoo felt all sorts of things.

Sehun brought her home. He had entered her space. He’d met Mina. He’d seen Yeol, but more than that, she had wished he was Yeol.

The insane part of her needed to be locked behind bars. These feelings weren’t real. They were an illusion that Sehun was the Yeol she so dearly missed. She couldn’t be around him because he gave her hope that he may be Yeol; that she might find a heart to love again.

Oh Sehun was not Park Chanyeol.

Namjoo felt her sore heart throb. She reached up to touch the ring around her neck. She wouldn’t betray Yeol.

She had lunch in her office and filled out paperwork for the day. Namjoo stayed late to handle a few annoying phone calls before clocking out. As she started down the hallway she paused to glance into the finance department. There were still people inside finishing assignments. Sehun had left. She didn’t see him anywhere.

Turning away she headed toward the elevator, to her car, and slowly drove home.

¤¤¤¤¤

“What did you say his name was again?” Mina asked.

Namjoo had bought fresh ingredients on the way home and was currently preparing dinner. Yeol’s younger sister was already seated at the kitchen table, waiting to be served. Namjoo didn’t mind that she didn’t offer to help. In the first place, Mina wasn’t very skilled in the kitchen and Namjoo didn’t want her kitchen burning down. Olly waited by the foot of the table as being a good dog right now might get him some human food.

“Who are you talking about?” Namjoo asked eyes busy on the boiling water while simultaneously chopping vegetables.

“The guy from yesterday.”

“Sehun?”

“Right,” Mina nodded. “Do you think I can apologize to him in person?”

Namjoo’s eyes flew over the boiling water before she turned to look at Yeol’s younger sister. She was a pretty young thing and confident with anything she did. Namjoo could feel where this was going.

“You don’t have to ask me.” Namjoo turned back around to the food. Quickly finishing the vegetables she dunked them into the boiling water with a scrape of the knife. A voice egged her at the back of her head but Namjoo wouldn’t hear it.

“Well, since you were drinking with him that means you’re friends.”

“We’re not friends,” Namjoo mumbled.

“Then, what are you?” Mina wondered. “You’re not dating him?”

“No.”

“Because my brother’s the best, right?” Mina grinned.

A part of Namjoo sunk, but she was more conflicted. Sometimes they talked about Yeol like he was still alive while knowing he wasn’t. It only added to the pain and the constant reminder that Sehun was just like him. The attraction was so strong Namjoo didn’t want to think of it. She didn’t want to see any more of Sehun.

“He isn’t dating anyone?” Mina prodded.

“No. I don’t think so.” Namjoo tried to find something else to focus on but all the food were cooking.

“Let me meet him, please,” Mina begged. Getting up she clung onto Namjoo’s arm like a child. “Please, please, please.”

Mina liked Sehun. Namjoo had to let that sink in while a part of her yanked her hair out and said it couldn’t happen. Namjoo pursed her lips.

“All right,” Namjoo gave in.

Hugging her tightly Mina praised, “You’re the best sister-in-law ever!”


***oh...that was so sad ;;