The Singles' Hemisphere

Substitute Soulmate

¤¤¤¤¤

The last Sehun had expected was to be left with a knocked out Team Leader…again. She had buried her face into his shoulder and then passed out. If that wasn’t one way to end the night, Sehun wouldn’t have known what to do in order to bid his farewell. He’d only followed her out curiously, hoping to get a few words out of her. Didn’t look like that was meant to happen.

With her weight pinning him he was unable to head back inside for help. No one was around either, not even a stranger on the street. He only did what he could. He called a cab and waited for the vehicle. Once the bright headlights shone his way he pulled Namjoo up, hefted her weight against his body and pulled the back door open. Once in, the driver asked, “Where to?”

That was the problem. Where to? He had no idea where Namjoo lived. Wasn’t this dejavu all over again. Giving his address he hoped that Namjoo hadn’t left anything behind because he wasn’t keen on going back to pick up after her nor did he want rumors that he was having an affair with the Team Leader.

She was totally out of it he realized when they arrived at his place. She barely budged when the car came to a skidding halt. Never in his life had he been glued in this kind of situation, having to look after a woman because she drank too much. What had his night come to?

Sliding out of the car he leaned back in for her. Sehun struggled at first because her bag kept slipping away. Slinging it over his shoulder at last he finally managed to link his arms under her then with one heave, carried her out of the cab. Kicking the door close he in a breath and hurried into the building.

Bringing her back to his place was uncalled for, but he was out of ideas. Once more he laid her down on his bed, pulled her heels off, and tucked her in. He’d learned that his couch wasn’t the most comfortable place to sleep but tonight he’d have to deal with it…again.

As Namjoo lay there motionlessly, he observed her. What kind of woman, he wondered, hooked him up with her friend only to kiss him again? Kim Namjoo was one peculiar lady. They barely knew each other but she had kissed him twice.

¤¤¤¤¤

“Come on,” Chanyeol led her up to the center of a cloudy room. Dense fog surrounded them. They were alone but there was live music coming from somewhere. Her favorite rendition of ‘I Choose to Love You’ was playing. All the love she harbored for him floated to the surface when he shifted to face her and his hands encircled her waist, pulling her close. He was warm and so real.

“Last dance,” he promised with a smirk, “then I’ll let you go home.”

He was in his suave black tux and she was in her silver white wedding gown. Green vines wrapped up the four pillars  surrounding the pure white dance floor. Chanyeol’s heart beat against his broad chest as she leaned her head against his shoulder to keep him close. She never wanted this to end.

They were in a lovely place that belonged to just the two of them. It was a moment she wanted to keep reliving forever and ever into the beyond. The touch of his hand reminded her how alive he was, how he belonged to her into the eternity. That his love was all hers alone.

The soft of his lips touched the crown of her head. The palm of his hand rested on her back and she heard him whisper, “I love you.”

Her eyes opened to the beige ceiling. She first felt her heart beat and her hand tried to clutch onto Yeol who may be lying beside her. She only felt fabric. Even so, a kind of strange serenity washed over her. Still calm, she looked around before sitting up.

She wasn’t home. Yeol wasn’t with her here.

A part of her heart sank but her eyes traveled to the small crack in the doorway. Just like that she knew where she was.

Moving her feet to the edge of the bed she glanced down to where her shoes were neatly placed. The warm carpet tickled her feet as she stood. Snagging her heels, she moved toward the door and hesitated to open it. Yesterday night floated back to memory. The shameless kiss made her want to run back to the bed and pretend she never woke, but then that wasn’t her bed. No, she wouldn’t touch someone else’s bed.

Pursing her lips, she gulped. Oh Sehun was probably on the other side of the door. She prayed he was still asleep though she knew better. Slowly she touched the knob and pulled the door open and just as she looked up, Sehun stood on the other side about to open the door as well. Their gazes locked and she quickly dropped her hand. This time she didn’t gasp or move back in shock. Instead, her heart rammed fast and hard.

Namjoo glued her lips together and forced herself to swallow. She needed to calm down because Oh Sehun was not who she thought he was. She mentally shook herself awake.

“Uh…good morning,” she weakly greeted.

His lips curved. It made her heart tremor. Namjoo quickly looked away.

“Was just about to wake you. Guess you beat me,” he turned around. “I made breakfast. Come eat.”

She watched him turn away to head into the kitchen. Namjoo glanced around his cozy apartment filtered with daylight and followed. The apartment smelled of him. Eyeing the little details like the clock beneath the lamp and the expensive Smart TV speaking heights of how he kept up with advanced technology. He didn’t want to fall behind others she thought or be considered old. Stacks of CDs and DVDs neatly piled up underneath the television stand. She saw her favorite, Windstruck. Namjoo also noted magazines about fashion and fitness at the far corner of the coffee table. There was even a tissue box. He was mindful of his home if it wasn’t his mom looking after him. All was orderly and had a place.

Were bachelors this clean? She didn’t remember. How had Yeol’s apartment looked like? Strewn with clothes, socks, and pots and pans on the counter? No, he had been clean, too, always making sure there were no dishes left in the sink.

That was her Yeol.

“I think I should leave,” Namjoo started trying to ease her way out of this uncomfortable situation. She hadn’t meant to come back here a second time nor had she meant to be observing him so closely.

“Well then looks like I wasted my effort,” Sehun said probing her guilty conscience.

Namjoo’s eyes slithered toward the table filled with steaming food fresh from the stove. How long had it taken him to cook all that? An hour?

“I’m not making you wash dishes,” he said pulling out a chair to sit. “Have a bite or two at least.”

Namjoo peered at the door to her exit and in the end, sauntered toward the breakfast table. Sitting down across from him she picked up her spoon and dipped it into the pot of soup.

“I know it’s delicious because I just bought it,” he grinned. She glanced up at him and felt the heaviness slide off her shoulders. At least, she thought, he wasn’t making it out to be so awkward.

“About last night,” Namjoo managed to say, “sorry.”

“If I should accept your apology lets trade information.”

“What?” she looked at him surprised.

“We’re friends, aren’t we? Shouldn’t I know something about you at least?” he raised a brow.

“I never said…”

He cut her off, “What’s your favorite food?”

She stared at him, her brow threatening to furrow. What was going on here? He should be talking about that kiss, egging her conscience about it.

“We can learn one thing about each other at a time,” he suggested, “if that makes you more comfortable.”

Pressing her lips together she debated then decided she could play this game. After all, Oh Sehun would be going out with Haneul. “Expensive meat.”

“Wow,” he exclaimed, “you’re high maintenance.”

“We’re done here, right?” Namjoo asked setting her spoon down. Getting up to her feet she said again, “I should go.”

“To feed your dog?” he asked which had her spinning back to look at him. An insane wind of surprise with a hidden undercurrent of excitement zigzagged through her. He knew about her. If he was not Yeol then…

Namjoo mentally slapped herself.

“I saw you walking your dog the other day,” Sehun explained. “Just wondered.”

She gave him one good look, felt all other emotions scatter and tried to figure out what in his face may look like her husband. She really didn’t know. These feelings pulling her back and forth were messing with her. Turning around she hurried out then realized she was barefoot when the door closed. Deeply inhaling she slipped into her heels in the hallway and hurried toward the elevator.

¤¤¤¤¤

Sehun was highly amused when Namjoo walked out. Finishing the rest of the meal he packed the leftovers away and headed toward his closet for something to wear. He had his date with Namjoo’s friend today and he still wasn’t sure whether he was really up to it or not, but since it was happening he’d go along with it. What the heck, he thought, on a Saturday afternoon he wouldn’t have anything to do anyway. A good single guy like him needed to do something.

He combed his hair, ironed his clothes the way his mother taught him to, and headed out two hours later. The day was a fine one. Rolling clouds, blue sky, and bright shining sun. He imagined kids would be at play and adults sitting somewhere along the park lazily napping. Sehun could see his parents doing just that. Everyone would be out of their homes.

The air smelled like car exhaust yet also like barbeque and fresh flowers mixed with blasting hot waves from the trains. Sehun checked his watch and thought he had arrived too early. They were supposed to meet at Gwanghwamun Plaza, walk through the small garden while killing time before heading to the movies. It was the usual dinner date afterward as all other typical dates.

Children were jumping in puddles, splashing and laughing. Sehun watched curious about where the water had come from and stumbled backward when the water jets shot up into the air. Unlike the children who happily jumped in to cool off he jumped back shocked managing to avoid the stream of water. A voice laughed, “Well, there you are.”

He turned to see Namjoo’s blond friend walking toward him. Today she was in a dress and wedges with a large sack of a bag hanging off her small shoulder. Smiling awkwardly, Sehun tugged at his shirt.

“That surprise you?” Haneul asked. “The kids love it. They gather here every summer to play.”

“Oh…really?” he wondered glancing awkwardly behind him at the kids.

“You haven’t been around yet, have you?” she wondered. “Lets ditch the garden and I’ll show you around.”

Haneul took him to popular tourist attraction sites like the Namsan Tower where they rode the cable car up Mount Namsan. He visited the ‘Locks of Love’ display and she even took him to the Teddy Bear Museum. They visited the restaurant on the top level for a few drinks and the cheapest snacks before heading back down. On the way to the theater they passed the 63 Building which she promised she would take him next time.

Yoon Haneul turned out to be quite fun but nowhere near something like a date. He learned that she was a Yonsei graduate with a bachelor’s degree in business. She was hoping to land a good job in the business sector, didn’t matter what it was as long as the pay was good enough for rent and utility bills. Of course, food as well. She lived three hours away from her family but she was never lonely since there was always plenty to do in Seoul and she still had many friends around. Many of them, she made sure to point out, were still single. She even took to offering to hook him up if he was interested. Sehun said he’d think about it.

Then they ended the day by going to a restaurant of her choice. They would be paying separately of course. It turned out Yoon Haneul didn’t think they were on a date either. She was pretty cool he decided.

“You and Namjoo are good friends, right?” he asked. “How long have you known her?”

“About 7 seven years.”

His brows rose in surprise. “Then you’d know her well.”

“We’re friends, obviously,” she stated twirling her alfredo up with her fork. “I know a lot about her and I’ve seen a lot, I wouldn’t be surprised anymore.”

“You said something about the company. Has she worked there long?” He was curious to learn whether she didn’t get along with anyone else, was eager to learn if he was the only one she’d given a cold shoulder to.

“A few good years, good enough to get a good raise,” Haneul grinned.

“Why do you keep mentioning a raise?”

She continued grinning and shook her head, “Because she got a good raise.” Then she eyed him, “I see. Namjoo must have misunderstood. The date today must make you feel pretty bad, huh?”

“What?” he asked confused.

“You keep talking about her.” Haneul pointed out. Shifting in her seat she leaned forward, “So, you must be curious, right?”

He glanced to the side wondering if he should tell her he didn’t understand what was going on or to go with the flow.

“I guess,” he answered.

Pressing her lips together, Haneul lowered her voice, “If you want to get close to her, you’re going to have to try a lot harder. Seriously. Namjoo hasn’t looked at anyone in these three years. I’m honestly not sure she’s ready yet.”

“What do you mean?”

“Namjoo’s husband died in a hit and run three years ago,” Haneul explained, her eyes turning sad. “It hasn’t been easy for her. She doesn’t talk about it anymore but I can tell she still thinks about him a lot. They were so close, it’s heartbreaking. I just think she needs a little more support and a little push to finally move on.”

¤¤¤¤¤

Namjoo just got home and her dog was barking up a racket. Not only had he torn up his new toy there were fluff balls scattered across her floor.

“Oh, Olly, seriously,” Namjoo grumbled bending down to pick up after her dog. Only he thought she was playing with him. As soon as she knelt to clean up he began jumping at her, gnawing and pulling her clothes. His little paws bounced off her back as he playfully attacked her but Namjoo wasn’t quite up for a game with him. She had yet to shower and change out of her filthy clothes from last night.

“Olly, stop! No!” she scolded the pug and turned when her doorbell rang. Heaving a sigh, she stood and tossed the fluff balls into the garbage. The dog was at her heels as she opened her door and barked loudly at her visitor.

“Namjoo!” Park Mina threw her arms around Namjoo to give her a quick hug then walked in. “Oh, your dog. He’s so cute, but stay away from me. My clothes are new.”

Sidestepping swiftly from the dog she started toward Namjoo’s kitchen table and made herself comfortable. “Is there anything to eat? I’m starving.”

Yeol’s younger sister was in blue jean overalls with only a crop top on. Her red hair was mussed ily and her high-top sneakers were worn to match her street appearance. If Namjoo had to guess, the younger sister wasn’t planning on being a smart, studious student today. Maybe hadn’t been for several days.

“Your mother is worried about you,” Namjoo said pulling her fridge door open and taking it as an invitation, Olly tried jumping into the fridge. Quick, Namjoo swiftly pushed him back with a foot.

“Oh, mom’s always worried,” Mina said.

Placing a plate and some leftovers in a container in front of her, Namjoo went on, “Give her a call once every few days. She’s probably lonely, you know. Father’s always cooped up with his refinishing projects, I doubt she has anyone to talk to.”

“What about you?” Mina asked. “You could visit. Even better, you could go live with them. You’re the other daughter anyway. My brother would like that.”

Namjoo caught the fast grin on her face and turned away.

“It would give him assurance that our parents are looked after, you know, up there in heaven,” Mina went on. “He always wanted the best for them. And he trusted you…more than me, you know.”

Deciding she wasn’t in the mood for reminiscing, Namjoo said, “Leave the dishes in the sink. I’ll wash them. Give mother a call before you leave.”

Mina chewed noisily before glancing at the picture above her couch, “I always liked that picture.”

Namjoo turned to stare at Chanyeol, his eyes happily shut as he placed the kiss on her cheek.

“If you live with my parents, they’d be overjoyed,” Mina said. “Plus, you wouldn’t be alone all the time here.” Then she shrugged, “But it’s up to you. It’s just nice to know that you’re still in the family. I’d honestly be sad if you got married again, so I’m happy you still love my brother so much.”

¤¤¤¤¤

Monday morning Sehun intentionally waited in his car. It took no longer than 5 minutes for Namjoo to arrive and park in her usual space. He watched her step out with her bag and lock her car with the remote. In anybody’s eyes, she looked like a single woman arriving at work, heading into work. She didn’t look like she was mourning the loss of a loved one. She didn’t, at all, look like she’d ever been married. She just looked…young. No older than he.

Stepping out he followed her through the automatic doors and into the building. He had dated a lot in his prior years. It was all the fun he’d had as a university student because girls were the only interests he’d had. Never once though did he think about settling down, getting married. Still too young he didn’t want to stay in one place forever.

To think Kim Namjoo had been ready for all that was somewhat mind boggling.

“Good morning,” he leaned over to greet her cheerfully.

Namjoo turned to look up at him. It seemed she didn’t expect to run into him. Turning away she returned the greeting.

“So,” he started, “did your friend call you?”

“I didn’t hear anything,” Namjoo said as the elevator opened and she stepped in. An elder man and two women moved back to make room for them. Sehun beat her to pressing the button for their floor and grinned smugly when she glanced at him.

“We had a good date, though it really wasn’t one,” Sehun said. “She was my tourist, but I had fun.”

“Oh, well, that’s good.” She didn’t sound particularly interested in the conversation he was trying to make.

“So, to make up for the lack of a date, lets have one today,” he suggested. Namjoo abruptly turned to look at him then glanced behind her, as if afraid the others would think weirdly of her.

Stealing her attention again he said, “Lets have a date today. Lunch, ok?”