Closing Bridges

Substitute Soulmate

A while was spent sitting in her parked car outside of Yeol’s home. Did she belong here? Did she have the right to come back? Especially after what her heart was currently doing. She was betraying them. Their trust in her.

Namjoo glanced down at her phone. Would she call and make an excuse?

What to do?

With a split moment of courage, Namjoo pulled her keys from the ignition and stepped out. When she married Yeol, she had promised him she’d treat his parents like her own. That no matter what happened in the future, she would always be there for them.

But fate was cruel. Yeol had been ripped from all their lives. They suffered the same pain. Loss and grief. Whether Namjoo wanted to run away and hide, she just couldn’t. Yeol had believed in her. Yeol’s parents were her family. They loved her like their own. Accepted her abruptly. How could she abandon them?

Namjoo pressed the doorbell and waited. Maybe this was her fate, too. Maybe she didn’t deserve a future. It was completely wrong for her to try and love again. Because what would happen to Yeol’s parents if she left? If she became part of someone else’s family, what would they do without her?

Guilt plundered her.

How could she, in her very right mind, even think of falling in love again?

The memory of Sehun hugging her crushed her insides.

“Namjoo,” Yeol’s mother said when she opened the door. “You’re here. Oh, come in. We’ve missed you.”

And once more, Namjoo glanced around the home Yeol had grown up in. So much of him here. How could she dare try to move on?

“How have you been? You must be so busy.” The woman wrapped a motherly arm around Namjoo as she led her in.

“How is father?” Namjoo worried. “I’m sorry I haven’t called.”

“He’s just fine,” Yeol’s mother assured. “He has another therapy session this Thursday.”

“I’ll drive you two there,” Namjoo offered.

“You don’t have to. I don’t want you getting in trouble by making you leave work so often,” the woman said. “We will be fine.”

“It’s not that I don’t trust you,” Namjoo excused. “I just want to be there for you.”

“Namjoo,” the woman shifted to face her and held her hands between her own, “you don’t have to think about us so often. Don’t you have a friend you see?” smiling, she went on, “I’d like you to relax, too. Of course, we’d also love you here but we’re doing just fine nowadays. Unless anything happens, I will call you.”

Gripping the woman’s hand Namjoo returned the smile. “Is father awake? I’d like to see him.”

“Yes, he’s lying in bed. We bought a TV a few days ago, so he’s always watching television shows,” the woman explained. “Would you stay for dinner?”

“I think I will.”

¤¤¤¤¤

That was right. Namjoo still had her in-laws, who relied on her. When would she ever be her own person again? When would she start making her own decisions again? When would she start listening to her heart?

Sehun wanted to be greedy, but he couldn’t force her. First, he needed to respect her decisions. Whatever Namjoo felt she needed to do, he would let her. It wasn’t like they were in an intimate relationship where she would listen to him anyway. And it wasn’t like they were so close he should be telling her what he thought.

He had dinner alone, showered, and sat in front of the TV. Even as the TV show ran on, he would turn and imagine Namjoo sitting beside him with her dog sleeping between them. Getting her to come over next time would probably be a challenge.

His heart jumped when his phone rang. Leaping toward it with heart hurling through his chest, he immediately picked up without looking at who was calling.

“Hello?” he immediately answered.

“Sehun!” Not Namjoo, but he knew that voice.

“Oh…Mina,” the excitement in his tone dropped a few notches, “why are you calling?”

“It’s been so long, I just wanted to call,” Mina chirped. “Namjoo came over today and had dinner, so I thought of you.”

Something twisted inside him. Of course, she’d said she was going there.

“Is she still there?” he couldn’t help but ask.

“She left a few hours ago,” Mina replied, “so, what are you doing?”

How had she looked he wanted to ask. Was she happy? Did she eat well? Was she very worried about Yeol’s parents? Did she leave sad and depressed?

“I’m a little busy,” he lied.

“Can I see you for a bit?” Mina asked. “It feels like it’s been so long since we last met.”

“I don’t know…” he intentionally dragged on. His eyes hovered toward the table where his car keys were. All of a sudden, it didn’t matter what may be standing between him and Namjoo. He just wanted to go see her, even if he had to play with Olly.

“Ten minutes,” she bargained. “I won’t take any more of your time.”

Sehun had to think about this. Why would he see Mina anyway? She was a free spirit and it was good she fought for what she wanted, but he wasn’t interested in her. But if he saw her for five minutes, he could ask a few things about Namjoo. That sounded kind of like a deal.

“Ok,” he replied.

A few minutes later Mina waved ecstatically as he approached Holly’s Coffee. The bright lights from behind made her silhouette glow against it. For a moment, he thought about how pretty she’d actually look if she were Namjoo. It was a huge disappointment his heart wasn’t leaping.

“Sehun!” Mina called out as if he hadn’t noticed her.

“Why aren’t you waiting inside?” he wondered.

“It’s kind of chilly in there, the air conditioner is like on full blast,” she commented.

Joining her at the outside table, he started, “Do your parents know you’re here?”

“Why would I tell them?” she gave him an absurd look. “I’m an adult.”

If she were one she would stop making everyone worry already he thought, but didn’t say it. All he thought about was Namjoo taking care of this girl because she was too much for her parents. But in fact, Namjoo wasn’t even much older than Mina. She wasn’t even old enough to be her aunt yet she had taken care of the girl like she was one.

“You said Namjoo came over earlier,” Sehun started, “how long did she stay?”

She naively replied, “Until after five. She wanted to make sure my dad had everything taken care of. It’s just like her to do that. I guess that’s why my brother married her. She’s so responsible, you know? But anyway, have you eaten?”

“What did Namjoo eat?” Sehun wondered.

“We had kimchi soup and fish,” Mina answered then frowned, “why are you asking? Shouldn’t you be wondering about me?”

“You’re plump as it is, I can see you’re doing well.” He teased.

“Hey!” Mina scolded playfully pushing him and listened to him laugh. As their arms brushed, she found her chance to wrap her hand around his elbow. “I like your laugh, Sehun.”

The high of the moment slowly faded. He knew that look in her eyes. It may be the same eyes he used to look at Namjoo. An air of a one-sided romance hovered over them. The night still and quiet, traffic whishing in the distance. Crickets croaked, singing love songs. But his heart was singing for someone else.

Knowing what Mina might say next, Sehun slid his arm out from her hand and stood. “It’s late. I need to go.”

“Oh, yea, that’s right. You have stuff to do,” Mina stood as well. Brushing at her shorts she asked, “Are you always so busy?”

“Yea…” he lied.

“Do you think we can have lunch tomorrow?” she questioned. “I’ll make something for you. I promise it’ll be good!”

She sounded so young and innocent it made him feel bad. “I kind of have plans.” Unconfirmed plans, but he’d make lunch happen with Namjoo.

“Oh…” Disappointment. “But can I still come see you? You know I’m interviewing with a big company. If I get too busy later, I might not be able to see you.”

“You did? Then congrats,” Sehun said.

Mina beamed shining a gigantic smile. Shyly scratching the back of her head, “It’s only a maybe. I’ll still have to make time for the audition. Will you come support me? My parents won’t be there, it’ll be nice to have someone.”

“I don’t know, I’m busy Mina,” Sehun lied again. He glanced at his watch. If he made it too late, Namjoo might already be in bed. “Look, I have to go. Lets talk later, all right?”

Holding up a hand to signal his wave he turned to head toward his car. Swerving onto the street he drove down the road toward Namjoo’s. Though he didn’t know what kind of excuse he’d give her for making a visit so late at night, he was sure he could come up with something liable.

¤¤¤¤¤

“Uh…hi,” Sehun awkwardly greeted when Namjoo opened the door.

She stared surprised, a little flabbergasted. It was a little past 10. She’d been preparing for bed. Olly rubbed against her feet, panting happily as he looked up at their sudden visitor.

Namjoo’s heart started leaping in staccatos when she felt his eyes run over her. She had taken a late shower. Her hair was still damp. Her stomach twisted when she wondered what he may be thinking.

“Do you want…to come in?” Namjoo asked already stepping back to hold the door for him. She couldn’t dismiss the smile combing across his lips. And she found herself stealing a glance at the mouth that had kissed her the other night.

Her insides flushed and she grew warm.

God, what the hell. Earlier she’d been chiding herself about never developing romantic feelings again. Here she was, welcoming a man into her home. And not just any man. A man that had confessed. A man that had kissed her. Oh Sehun.

Still clutching the doorknob after closing the door she looked at him wondering, what now?

“Um…sorry for coming so late,” Sehun apologized then speaking even faster, “I just drove past and saw that they’re premiering a new action movie and thought maybe you would be interested in seeing it. I can grab us tickets tomorrow if you’re interested.”

Namjoo’s eyes wandered over him with wonder yet a giggle threatened to burst. He was…surprisingly cute. Her heart fluttered even more.

“I’d like that,” she managed calmly.

Breathing relieved he bit his lower lip, “Oh yea? That’s good.”

They continued standing apart but in their own happy universe. What to say now? What to do next?

Olly glanced from her to Sehun then from her to Sehun again then innocently walked back and forth between them. He ended up walking in a circle before sitting and let out a bark.

“I should uh…go,” Sehun perked up.

“Are you sure? Do you want something to eat first?” Namjoo quickly asked then wished she could whack herself. Shouldn’t she have asked that beforehand? What was wrong with her? She was a mature adult, not…not some high schooler.

“It’s ok, it’s ok,” he hurriedly assured. “I was on my way home…I mean, after I drove past the theater.” Awkwardly laughing, he scratched the back of his head and shuffled sideways toward the door.

“Oh yea.” She suddenly recalled her hand was still on the knob. Had her sanity flown off into space? Pulling the door open she stepped back.

Sehun appeared reluctant to go. “Good night.” Adding quickly, “To you and Olly.” Flushing embarrassed he pressed his lips tightly together.

To hug him or not? Seeing him this way made her so bubbly. He was being so cute.

“Good night, Sehun. I’ll see you tomorrow.” However bad she felt for having to close the door, she did it anyway. Leaning against the wooden barrier Namjoo listened to her heart race at an ungodly speed.

¤¤¤¤¤

Namjoo awoke early, fed Olly, had a cup of coffee along with breakfast while cooking more food on the stove. Eyes busily darted back and forth to the clock as she ran in and out of her bedroom dressing and putting makeup on. That morning she had carefully gone through her wardrobe. Today she had chosen to wear a pencil skirt instead of her usual pants. Something was just ticking in her to dress up.

Olly followed her around and sat obediently as she packed the food.

“They’re not for you,” Namjoo chided. “I’ll give you your treats when I come home. You be a good boy now, ok?”

Bending down onto a knee Namjoo petted the dog’s head and gave Olly a quick kiss then was out the door. At first, it had been difficult parting from her dog. Nowadays, she was adapting. Wherever she went, she would come back. That was her promise to Olly. Because being left behind was the hardest, she would always come back.

Adjusting the rearview mirror, Namjoo sped onto the road. Stepping out of the car she glanced around for Sehun. No sign of him. Keeping her disappointment at bay, Namjoo grabbed her lunch box and started toward the elevator. There was a small line waiting for the lift. Once it finally came down she took a step forward to join them but gently jerked back when a hand wrapped around her wrist. It was Sehun.

“Lets wait for the next one,” he quietly said.

Standing aside the elevator doors closed. Now they were alone. Neither said anything. It took a minute and half for the elevator to come back for them. When they stepped in they stood at the back pressed against the wall. Sehun didn’t hold her hand but they stood closely, arms brushing.

“Did you sleep well?” 

Namjoo swiftly stole a glance before he might catch her eyes. “I did. You?”

“Me too,” he answered. Returning to silence Namjoo smiled, feeling warm all over. Grip tightening on her lunch box she wished the elevator would slow.

“That smells good.” He commented. When their eyes caught her cheeks grew hot. He handsomely smiled.

“It’s lunch,” Namjoo said then wished she wouldn’t have said the obvious.

That grin grew a little sharper. “Is there some for me?”

Growing shyer she wished she could shrink into the size of an atom. She couldn’t function if he kept looking at her like this. Especially not when he sent all these emotions flying through her.

Chewing her lower lip, Namjoo lowered her head slowly nodding.

At long last, Sehun brushed his fingers gently over her hand, “Then, I’ll see you for lunch?”

Shyly, Namjoo nodded again.

¤¤¤¤¤

Namjoo really waited for him this time. They had been eating lunch together regularly that no one bothered asking him out anymore. Sehun didn’t mind. He was getting free homemade food.

“Sorry, I was kind of held up,” he apologized heading into the elevator with her. “Is that heavy? Should I carry it?”

“No, it’s fine,” Namjoo shook her head.

“It’s my turn to bring lunch tomorrow,” he noted.

“You don’t have to,” Namjoo insisted. “It’s just…” then lying, “I had some leftover from breakfast today.”

“I’ll bring something for you tomorrow,” he promised. “You like expensive meat, right?”

Namjoo flushed. “No, don’t. You don’t have to.”

“I’ll surprise you,” he grinned when the doors opened. They walked out together into the cafeteria and found an empty table. His stomach threatened to growl noisily when Namjoo began unpacking her food.

If they lived together – someday in the future, that was if he was the lucky guy Namjoo would want to spend her life with – then he could have this every day. How wonderful.

“It looks delicious,” he complimented lifting his spoon, but before he managed a bite someone called out his name. A very familiar voice.

“Oh, Namjoo, you’re here, too?” It was Mina. And she had carryout.

Sehun swiveled in his seat hopes plummeting. Stealing the chair on his left she sat between him and Namjoo. 

“That looks delicious.” Mina observed the food on the table. “Namjoo, you cooked?”

“Have you eaten, Mina?”

She was at it again. Acting a decade older. Sliding her chair back Namjoo went over to the canteen, grabbed extra silverware, and returned to hand them to Mina.

“Eat with us,” Namjoo offered.

Mina gladly took the first bite of Namjoo’s lunch and moaned happily. “It’s so good! Your food is really the best!”

Regret filled Sehun.

“What are you doing here?” Sehun probed.

“I told you I was coming today,” Mina reminded.

Annoyed he chatised, “You should have said something beforehand.”

Mina glanced at him innocently then at Namjoo. “Sehun and I saw each other yesterday. I said I’d bring lunch, but I guess he forgot.”

“Oh…did you?” The disappointment in Namjoo’s voice bounced off his ears. Oblivious to them, Mina pushed aside Namjoo’s lunch and set out her takeout.

“I remember you like eating this,” Mina arranged the food in front of Sehun, “so I bought a lot.”

The distance he managed to close between them just grew a little wider again.


***that stage before love is always the best, but then Mina...乁[ᓀ˵▾˵ᓂ]ㄏ