Jumping Hurdles

Substitute Soulmate

Instinctively dragging her hand away, Namjoo averted her eyes. A cold sense of shock passed through her sharply. Simultaneously realizing she just rejected him but drowning into doubt, Namjoo stepped away.

“I need to go,” she excused and quickly left.

Returning home with a blank mind Namjoo never minded Olly and the mess he’d created. Cotton fluffs littered her home, but Namjoo passed them. Flinging open her closet she pulled out one outfit after another mindlessly. Catching herself she plopped down on her bed and stared down at her hands. She had once touched Yeol with them. Now she was touching someone else.

Marriage was a whole new level different from dating. Namjoo had just started walking a new path. She wasn’t prepared to tread back down a familiarly walked road.

“I’m sorry,” Sehun apologized at lunch. “I spoke too soon.”

“Lets talk about it later.” She wasn’t ready yet. She needed more time to think. To sort out her feelings. To know what she really felt and understand what she wanted to say to Sehun.

He left her alone. She didn’t even promise she’d call. Quietly forfeiting to her new struggle, she went home and took Olly for a walk.

She had no appetite that evening, so she didn’t eat. Sitting on the floor to pass time she watched Olly play with a new toy she got him. When her doorbell rang she expected Sehun. She always expected the person on the other side of the door to be him now, so was surprised it wasn’t.

Yeol’s mother gently smiled in greeting. She had a grocery bag with her. “I knew you’d be in.”

Lost for words Namjoo invited the woman in. Suddenly, it was painfully awkward. The last they’d seen each other was when Mina took the words out of Namjoo’s mouth.

“Well, hello there,” Yeol’s mother welcomed Olly who trotted over happily. “It looks like you haven’t had dinner yet.”

“Mother…” the words instinctively flew out. Namjoo bit her tongue.

Was it even right for her to call the woman that anymore?

“You don’t…you don’t have to be here.” she stuttered.

“Let me cook for you first and we’ll talk. All right?” her voice was so soft, so calm. It was heart soothing to hear, yet at the same time it broke Namjoo’s heart somewhere.

Unable to refute Namjoo allowed the woman do as she pleased. When a bowl of warm food landed on the table, Namjoo obediently ate.

She was so sorry. To Yeol’s parents. That she had to move on and couldn’t always be with them. That she was starting to love someone else, but she wanted to say that it didn’t mean she would forget Yeol. That she wasn’t replacing Yeol.

Namjoo couldn’t say those words. ached as she swallowed.

Halfway through the meal, Namjoo gave up and set her spoon down. Yeol’s mother who had been watching carefully reached over to touch her hand.

“It’s ok, child,” she comforted. “I know.”

Even if the earth went under, Namjoo swore she had loved Yeol’s parents like her own. She had never abandoned them. She had kept her word to Yeol. She never broke her promise to him.

“I’m sorry,” Namjoo cried wiping a tear.

“Your father and I know your heart. We aren’t angry. We aren’t disappointed. I saw the way he looked at you and I can tell he’s a very good man. I am happy for you, Namjoo.” She soothingly rubbed the back of Namjoo’s hand. Nodding her head, “Yeol wouldn’t want you to be alone forever. Bring him over again. Your father would like to meet him again. This time, I’ll cook for him.”

Sobbing, Namjoo covered her face. She really was so lucky to have such good people in her life.

¤¤¤¤¤

Sehun had just finished showering when the doorbell rang. Tossing the damp towel into his laundry basket he headed toward answer it. He wasn’t too surprised when he saw Namjoo on the other side. Maybe he had been expecting her.

His love for her grew a little more when she hugged him. Without saying anything he embraced her.

Maybe she had come to an endpoint regarding him. Hopefully she was done thinking. Done worrying. Done weighing her worries.

“You smell good,” she commented.

Smiling into her hair he said, “I just showered.”

She give him a peck, “I’m ready to talk.”

They moved into his kitchen where he offered some cookies, but neither touched the sweets. For a few minutes, Namjoo just fondled his hands on the table. Sehun had learned by now to let things go at her pace. This was a part of getting to know her a little more. Slowly moving along, slowly delving into their relationship to help it last longer.

“I don’t know anything about you yet. What you dislike and what bothers you. I know a little about what you like, but that’s all I know about you,” Namjoo began.

Her fingers were long and thin. Soft and fine. He liked her touch and wished she would always hold his hand.

“I still need to learn about that honest part of you. The smallest thing I do could annoy you. We could argue and throw things. And then not sleep together. Things like that could happen, too. Right now, that isn’t happening because you don’t know me. I don’t know you.”

He held her eyes. He knew where she was going, what she was slowly trying to say to him.

“Lets not talk about marriage yet,” Namjoo finished. “We have a long way to go.”

Giving him a soft smile she clamped her fingers around his hand. Standing she leaned over to give him a kiss. “Lets leave marriage for the future, hmm?”

He kissed her. “Ok.”

They sat in his kitchen for hours talking and planning future dates. About Mina. About Yeol’s parents and where they could take them. Carefully approaching the topic of meeting the significant other’s parents.

In the end, they decided they would both need to talk to Mina separately.

Mina took three days to reply to him. Probably feeling as if she was punishing him by making him wait. Friday afternoon he waited outside of the entertainment company Mina had joined. She walked outside angrily. Without saying anything she passed expecting him to follow. Sehun did. He needed to let her fume until she was satisfied enough to talk. Then she would need to listen to him.

Reaching the end of the empty road in front of a salon, Mina wheeled around huffing. “Do you not have anything to say to me?!”

Sehun calmly stood ground. “I was waiting for you to say something.”

“Do you know what you are?!” she raised her voice. “You’re a sore loser! You went after…after her! I know you’re not stupid. You knew I liked you! You played me!”

“I never played you,” he softly stated. “Maybe it’s your misconception and I’m sorry you misunderstood.”

“No, you’re wrong! You should have never answered my calls! Even Namjoo told me you two were nothing! So what did you do? Why?! Why’d you seduce her?!”

“No. You’re wrong.” Sehun told off. “I never seduced her.”

Mina bitterly fisted her hand.

“Namjoo and I just liked each other,” Sehun said it as it was. “I knew you liked me, but I don’t feel the same, Mina. Even if we dated, you wouldn’t understand me. You’d eventually be hurt in the end, so don’t be angry. None of us did anything wrong, and we didn’t get together to get at you. Don’t hate me. Don’t hate Namjoo.”

He waited for Mina to lash out, but she didn’t. She just ended up crying out of anger. She was still a kid who had a lot of growing up to do. Their lives were on different scales. Their dreams weighing on different ends of the world.

¤¤¤¤¤

As much as Namjoo despaired from the thought of it, she called Ko Dokeun for the first time after work. Mina had finally replied to Sehun’s phone call through text, so he’d gone to meet her. Since he was concluding his part of the end, Namjoo had to tie up her loose end.

It disgusted her to be sitting across the eager man again.

Wearing a smug expression, he sipped his tea, “I knew you’d call me sooner or later. What perfume are you wearing today? It smells nice.”

He was so irritating.

“I hear that you still visit my mother.” She had chosen not to order anything since they arrived at the café. She had no appetite. His crummy face was ruining her already good day for her.

“Why? You’re going to be my wife, I should start early,” he shrugged. “I also heard you got into an argument with your mother. Something about a man at your place? Now that makes me look bad. We’re going to get married. You should learn to be careful.”

“He’s my boyfriend,” Namjoo confidently declared. “So you don’t need to worry.”

 “What?” he spat shocked.

“We’re never getting married,” Namjoo refused to repeat herself. “I already have my eyes on someone else.”

He scoffed, “Does your mother know? She doesn’t just accept anyone…”

“She’s my mother. I’d think I know her better than you,” Namjoo coldly shut him down. “Don’t call and don’t come to my workplace anymore.”

Glancing at his cup of tea, “You can pay your own bill.”

Grabbing her purse she slid out from her chair and strut off.

Heaving a deep breath Namjoo drove home and found Sehun standing in front of her doorway. Immediately smiling when their eyes landed on each other.

He reached for her hand. Hey."

“Hey to you, too.” Her mood amplified. “How’d it go?”

“I think well,” he shared happily. “You?”

“I told him off.” She chuckled.

Grabbing her chin, he playfully scrunched up his face, “That’s my girl.”

They walked Olly together and then returned to cook. By the time the table was set her phone began urgently ringing. Namjoo had been expecting it.

Her mother’s voice deafened her ear, “Where are you?! Who are you with?!”

Stepping away from the table and into her bedroom out of earshot she cupped the phone closer to , “Mom…”

“I just heart from Dokeun that you’re seeing someone,” her mother loudly charged. “Is that the truth?”

“Yes. I am.” Namjoo determinedly replied.

There was a moment of silence. “Is he your co-worker?”

“Mom…”

“Answer me,” her mother demanded.

“Yea, it’s him,” Namjoo gave up.

“Who are his parents? Where is he from? Can his job support him?”

“Mom, please,” Namjoo begged. “Can’t you do this another time?”

“You’re with him, aren’t you?” her mother accused. “Don’t tell me he’s in your home. Namjoo, you should know better. You’re a single woman living all by yourself…”

“I know. Mom, please,” Namjoo repeated.

There was a brief pause again. “Does his parents know about you? What did they say?”

“I…I didn’t meet them yet.”

“You should know better! If you’re going to start dating again, you need the approval of his parents! Don’t you know how hard things will get later on if you meet them and they dislike you? You’re going to live a hard life! They’ll never get past you. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

Namjoo rubbed her temple. “We’re not there yet. You’re thinking too far ahead.”

“I am telling you facts,” her mother argued, “I’m coming to Seoul to meet him. And tell him he needs to tell his parents about you. Not everyone will like a daughter-in-law who’s been married before. He should be careful, too.”

Her mother wouldn’t even give her the chance of day to argue before she hung up. Retreating back to the kitchen where Sehun was already eating, he asked, “Who was that?”

“My mom.”

“Oh…” This time he set his spoon down. “What did she say? Is she upset with you?”

Sinking into her chair, Namjoo stared at the plentiful dishes they’d made together. “She wants to meet you.”

She could feel the air particles literally freezing.

“And she wants me to meet your parents.”

¤¤¤¤¤

D-Day arrived just as quick as when he’d heard the news from Namjoo. Sehun went through five outfits finally deciding on a dark blue shirt and black pants to match. It was better to be overdressed then underdressed. Meeting Namjoo’s mother was far different from meeting Yeol’s parents. He was quite relieved her father wouldn’t be coming. Still, he was heck nervous. The weight on his shoulders increased by the minute.

What if Namjoo’s mother didn’t like him? What would he do? What did he need to do to get her approval? At this rate, what if he could never marry Namjoo?

This had to be the worst step to getting to know someone better. He prayed Namjoo’s mother would like him and that this evening would go by at the speed of light.

Slowly driving into the parking lot he inhaled and exhaled several times. His legs and hands felt numb. What did he need to anticipate? He’d only met her mother once. It wasn't enough to declare whether Namjoo’s mother liked him.

As he rode the elevator up his body sizzled with anxiety. Even his palms were sweating. Did he look well? He should have double checked earlier. Why was he such an idiot?

Quickly smoothing his clothes and tidying his hair in front of the door he inhaled and exhaled again. Hopefully his clothes hadn’t wrinkled from the drive. Giving himself a last pep talk he pressed the buzzer. All that was left was waiting.

When the door opened he imaginarily melted into the carpet. Namjoo let him in. She appeared to be in a good mood.

Was that good news? Bad news? Sehun still had yet to decide.

The woman he’d seen once before was sitting in her living room. Stern eyes landed on him, running up and down in observation. Did she approve? He heard her “hmph” before hurrying in to greet her properly.

“It’s nice to meet you, ma’am. I’m Oh Sehun.” 

Her hawkish eyes loomed over him. “You know my daughter has been married before.”

“Y…yes,” he stuttered.

“For three years she has refused to see anyone again.”

“Y…yes, I know.”

“She’s very stubborn and hard to get along with sometimes. Can you deal with a person like that?”

“Mom,” Namjoo whispered, but the woman didn’t budge.

Quickly grasping his hands in front of him in hopes of appearing more proper, Sehun nodded, “Yes. I…I’ll still love her.”

He blushed. Maybe he shouldn’t have said that. Namjoo’s mother inhaled, stared him down once more.

“Fine,” she coldly spat, “we’re going to have to wait and see, whether you can last long enough. I just want to let you know that I won’t agree to marriage yet.”

Sehun bowed numerous times and carefully shuffled after her to the doorway, where Namjoo’s mother gave him gawked again. “If you would excuse us, I want to talk to my daughter.”

“Oh…ye…yes,” he nodded and hurriedly backed away. Glued to the corner of the living room he waited for Namjoo to return like a lost dog. She hadn’t even asked where he was from or about his parents. Was this how it was supposed to go? Or had he looked so bad she didn’t deem it necessary to prod any more?

Oh God, what was he going to do?

¤¤¤¤¤

Stepping out into the hallway her mother glanced into her apartment with a snort. “Look at him. You can tell it’s his first time meeting someone’s parents.”

“Mom,” Namjoo quietly called. “He was just nervous.”

“He doesn’t look that confident.” Her mother huffed. “You like him?”

Meeting her mother’s eyes straight on, Namjoo quietly answered, “Yes.”

Her mother noisily exhaled. “Well, I suppose he’s handsome. His kids would be good looking.”

Namjoo nudged her mother, “Mom.”

“Fine,” her mother breathed. “Do what you want. Here, I was thinking you’d grow old and die a skinny skeleton. Just don’t get pregnant or rush into marriage.” She raised her hand, “I’ll really knock your head then.”

Namjoo lightly giggled, “Ok. I know.”

“When you meet his parents, let me know,” she told. “Your father and I will do the talking then. All right?”

“Ok,” Namjoo nodded. “Thanks, mom. Get home safe.”

Closing the door after her mother, Namjoo spun around to see Sehun anxiously waiting.

“So?” Sehun impatiently walked halfway through the room to meet with her. “What did she say? She didn’t like me, did she?”

Slapping his face with both hands he disappointedly muttered, “I shouldn’t have blurted I loved you.”

Laughing, Namjoo covered his hands with hers. “Because you’re handsome, she likes you.”


***They're tying up loose ends! You know what this means? We're almost done with the story! But /wipes tears/ it was never as bad as Namjoo imagined. Yeol's parents are on her side. They're not upset or angry. They knew, too, that she still had a long life to live and that anything could happen ;; Even her mother who has been waiting for her to finally move on supports her ;; Wasn't Sehun right when he said she never thought how the people around her just wants her to be happy? And she was always sad by herself. Now she's learning. Look what he did! 

***next chapter is the finale!!!