Tonight's Lucky Guy

Substitute Soulmate

Shoving the shirt back onto the rack Namjoo blinked quickly. Embarrassment written all over her face, she couldn’t look at him. They weren’t in a relationship or close enough to know such personal information. Sure, he was embarrassed but he didn’t mind.

“You should look.”

He couldn’t help smiling. Reaching for another shirt in deep blue he said, “This one.”

He caught her glancing toward the shirt then away. Another grin stretched across his face.

“Looks like we’re done here,” he said. “I’ll go check out.”

“Oh…ok,” Namjoo quietly muttered. “I’ll wait outside for you.”

He watched her exit the store. On the way toward the counter he saw a display of jewelry and headbands. Glancing toward the exit he spotted Namjoo staring off into space. She probably didn’t dare look back now. Returning to the display he eyed the head pieces and picked up a sparkly hair pin.

“I’m done,” he announced when he stepped out.

“There’s a pet store,” Namjoo said. “I’m going to stop by. Do you want to wait outside?”

“I’ll go with you.” He offered taking the initiative to walk ahead.

The owner of the store had a golden lab that walked up to them tail wagging. Namjoo rubbed its head before it traveled over to him sleepily smiling. As Namjoo spoke with the owner, Sehun massaged the dog behind the ears seeing treats and toys arranged throughout the store. He had seen biscuits at Namjoo’s house, but she didn’t dress Olly up.

Lifting a costume off the rack he nudged her, “What about this?”

Namjoo gave one glance at the sheep costume then shot him a frown that had him laughing. As finished purchasing homemade treats he took the bag from her. “I’ll carry it.”

“It’s not heavy,” she said.

“I’ll carry it,” he repeated. Placing a hand at her back he led her forward, “Lets get something to eat. That place doesn’t look too busy. You’re not a picky eater, are you?”

“N…no.”

“Good, me either.” Stepping up to the counter he observed the menu. “If I treat you today that means you’ll treat me next time, right?”

Without waiting for her to answer he said, “Good. So, what do you want?”

After getting their food they sat together at a circular table. Activity buzzed around them but she was all he could see. If this counted as a step to getting to know her it could also be considered a step closer to dating her.

“Have you met Mr. Go’s family before?” Sehun questioned. He wanted to talk to her, not sit in silence and swallow his food. Progress needed to be made.

“I’ve only heard about them,” Namjoo answered.

“Oh, I see,” he nodded poking at his food. Glancing up at her hesitantly, “The other day when your mother came…”

Timidly lowering her head she said, “Oh…they’re good friends of the family. I mean, his mother is. We kind of grew up together.”

“That’s why he called you munchkin.”

“That was when we were young.”

“Can I call you munchkin?” he teased. Receiving an eyeful he breathed a laugh. “I’m kidding.”

He earned a scoff in return. Holding back a smile he bit his lower lip. Reaction was good. They left the mall after dumping their trays. The ride back was sadly too short compared to the trip to the store.

When he pulled up to the front of the building he said, “Tell Olly I said hi.”

Namjoo gave him another one of her funny frowns.

“And it’s my turn to cook tomorrow,” he reminded. “What do you want?”

“Just not the first thing you brought to work,” Namjoo pushed her door open. “Good night.”

“Good night,” he smiled for the millionth time and watched her walk into the building. He was so smitten by her.

¤¤¤¤¤

Olly greeted her energetically, jumping at her heels.

“Yes, yes, I know.” Namjoo set the bag onto the table. “I got you some treats. Do you want to see them?”

Leaning over to look into the bag for the treats Namjoo paused when she noticed something else inside. Pulling out the fluffy material she stared at the sheep costume Sehun had showed her earlier.

Scoffing amused she turned around to show Olly. “Look what he got you.”

Standing up on hind legs Olly sniffed the costume. Backing up he barked loudly.

“I’ll tell him that,” Namjoo promised then pulled out the homemade treats. She showered, let Olly onto the bed, and went to sleep.

Mr. Go excitedly treated everyone to coffee the following morning at work with a pat on the back and reminder about his event that weekend. It had barely slipped her mind that she hadn’t thought about what to wear. For a while now Namjoo hadn’t attended any particular events. As if those around her were wary, the two words weddings and engagements had never been mentioned to her.

Marriage and the big decision to commit was no real crime, but deep in Namjoo’s heart there lay jealousy and resentment. Their happiness should be hers, but without Yeol there was nothing. In fact, she was a lot better off not attending anything at all.

This weekend’s anniversary party would be her first venture out. Slow in that aspect but she was trying. God, for the first time she was trying.

On the way out of the elevator Namjoo paused catching sight of a tall man in the lobby chatting it up with the receptionist. His broad back was familiar. Hair slick and gelled he resembled a city man that demanded attention, carried authority. All women must drool.

When he turned to peer around mid conversation, Namjoo wished she would have walked away earlier. Excusing himself he made a quick turn-around toward her.

Ko Dokeun.

The corner of his mouth upturned and obviously flirtatiously. Namjoo saw through it. An act of want of attention. She still wasn’t impressed and he still appeared far too old, trying too hard to look the younger part. He may have lobbied money from her once but she wouldn’t let him lobby herself or her heart.

“Munchkin!” he loudly called. Several oncoming workers stared at them. Namjoo’s cheeks flushed with heat.

“Don’t call me that,” she said through gritted teeth.

“Well, just thought it would make us feel a little closer,” he flashed a grin unperturbed by her. He was really so annoying.

“Why are you here?” Namjoo put no effort in hiding her irritation.

“I wanted to surprise you,” he shrugged as if she should’ve guessed. “You don’t like surprises?”

“You should have called,” Namjoo stiffly stated.

“Why can’t I pop in whenever I feel like it? We’re going to be getting married. Your husband should be able to have you whenever he wants,” he boldly explained. Leaning down to look into her face he nudged her shoulder, “Why are you so angry? I’ll buy you something delicious. Food always works on women.”

The mention of marriage made Namjoo’s stomach twist angrily. They barely knew each other anymore. Still acting like they were close upset her more.

“I don’t want to,” Namjoo rejected.

“What? Why?” The amusement prevalent in his eyes slowly disappeared. “I came all the way here for you.”

“You’re not in my plans today. That’s why you should have called.” Namjoo gave her watch one glance then held a hand up to wave. “Then I’ll see you later.”

Swiveling around to head toward the cafeteria Namjoo heaved a breath. Circling around her Dokeun forced her to an abrupt halt.

“May I ask who is in my wife-to-be’s plans?” he raised a brow cockily.

Lips turned into a straight firm line before Namjoo forced herself to smile patiently. “My name is Namjoo. Kim Namjoo. I am a married woman. Not your wife-to-be.”

He shook a finger at her as if she were a child. “You see, this is what your mother said. You need to put him behind you. A man six feet under isn’t a husband. He’s a dead man.”

Namjoo's breath shook. her hand, she stared at him with wide eyes. Insides now boiling. Hot rage leaked through her veins, the undercurrents growing stronger by the second. Any moment now she might punch him. Worse yet, she’d cry tears of anger.

Yeol…her Yeol wasn’t dead to her.

A hand touched her shoulder. Namjoo turned as Sehun stepped up to her side. Relief flashed through her like a lightning bolt.

“I’m Sehun, you are?” Sehun coolly greeted. Whether he had heard or not Namjoo decided she would worry about it later. Right now, it was better for someone to speak for her, because even though she wanted to take care of Dokeun by herself his cruel mention of Yeol had jilted her.

“Hello, I’m Ko Dokeun,” he shook Sehun’s hand firmly. “Oh, that’s right. You were there the other day when I was here.” Flashing his white teeth, he said, “Namjoo and I will be tying the knot later this year. I’ll remember to send you an invitation.”

“That’s nice, but our lunchtime is almost up, so we’re going to get going. Have a good day.” Sehun successfully dodged more lousy conversation by swiftly touching her arm to lead her along. In the spur of the moment, with a growing desperation to get away from Dokeun, Namjoo let Sehun lead her into the elevator.

The doors opened to the quiet garage. A dozen or so cars were missing, their owners having driven home or outside for lunch. They walked as far as Sehun’s car before he placed his lunch box on the trunk and jumped up to sit. Patting the area beside him he gestured for her to join him.

“You need help getting up?” he asked.

“N…no,” Namjoo shook her head. Grabbing the trunk, she hoisted herself up with some difficulty, but managed to get up without holding his hand.

“Is that the neighborhood guy?” Sehun began setting out their lunch while Namjoo stared at the concrete. Gosh, she hated that Ko Dokeun.

“I should’ve punched him,” she muttered.

“Maybe you should have,” Sehun agreed.

“Do you even know what he said?” Namjoo angrily turned to him. When he quietly waited for her to go on, Namjoo froze. His eyes were no doubt different from Yeol’s round, big eyes, but she thought they held the same expression.

“What did he say?” Sehun questioned when she didn’t finish. “You don’t have to tell me.”

“A man six feet deep under isn’t my husband. He’s just a dead man,” Namjoo bitterly recalled. She hesitated then went on anyway because she was just too angry and keeping it in would suffocate her. “Look, you know, I get it. He died three years ago. Some people start over right away, but I stayed in the same place. I’m not stupid. I know he’s not coming back, but he was mine. Telling me to move on isn’t doing it. It’s not what I need.”

“I know,” Sehun empathized. “I’m sorry.”

Flushing for complaining she glanced his way. “Why are you apologizing? That jerk should be doing it.”

“Just…because,” Sehun quietly told. “It’s like…everyone forgot he was alive once.”

Silence flowered around them. A powerful force blew past Namjoo trapping her in a hypnotic lull. The heavy anger in her chest slowly dissipated. The injured insides sweetly comforted by this person who once haunted her. Her eyes watered and she turned away. In that moment, she knew Oh Sehun was a one of a kind. There was no going back.

¤¤¤¤¤

Sometimes, Sehun wondered if he was being too greedy. He wanted all parts of Namjoo. The smart career woman. Namjoo as a lover. Namjoo in the aspect of a friend and a woman who loved her dog. A devoted person who always looked after her in-laws. As a person who cherished her own heart.

But Namjoo was still not ready to give. She was still Park Chanyeol’s Namjoo. He didn’t want to hurt her. These days he quietly thought about her. Day dreamed about what it would be like to have her in his home, to walk blocks down to the pet café, go window shopping, and lounge on the couch with popcorn and candy. It was all he could do. Think.

Sehun was anxious when he set foot out of his home that weekend. Spent a majority of the day preparing himself, dressing accordingly, worrying about his hair and if he’d ironed his clothes right. Mr. Go’s anniversary party was held in the backyard of his son’s wealthy home. A large pure white manor that spanned a stretch of land. There was even a private pond behind the gates somewhere off in the distance. Sehun saw it on the way down the curbing driveway.

All vehicles were parked beside the manor orderly. Too many people were filing into the home. All faces Sehun did not recognize. The brand of their bags and clothes belonged to high end stores. He had had no idea that Mr. Go was acquainted to so many wealthy advocates. The elder man had given off the grandpa around the corner vibe.

Sehun finally managed to breathe when he recognized several of his co-workers on his way down the marble hallway. The portraits down the hallway were spectacular, pieces brought home from auctions overseas. That was something he heard someone whispering on his way to the backyard, where a string of lights prettily lit up the yard romantically. The smell of candles permeated the air and love songs flowed through large stereos. The melodic voices made Sehun’s heart leap and flutter.

Around him couples gathered to speak. Others busily picked up drinks to taste before wandering off. Sehun merely glanced around like a lost sheep, eyes rolling over the many heads but he didn’t see Namjoo. He wandered some more and joined some of his co-workers musing over the quality of the home and how dare Mr. Go not warn them to dress better. In the middle of conversation, Sehun swiveled around. At the far side of the backyard Mr. Go had joined the party with his wife. Alongside them he recognized Namjoo shaking hands with someone.

She was dressed in pretty white. Her hair in waves that swam around her shoulders. From afar his heart trembled. Tonight, she was even prettier under the gentle glow of the golden lights. Sehun returned to earth when someone tapped on his shoulder and he followed the group to greet Mr. Go. While they spoke cheerily his eyes remained glued on Namjoo. Once more feeling like a shy boy he hesitated to approach. Namjoo first slipped off. He followed her a few minutes later.

“Hi,” he greeted her by the refreshment table. Namjoo was drinking out of a wine glass. He mistook her flushed cheeks as blushing until he realized they were just red from earlier drinks.

“Did you just get here?” she asked drunkenly smiling. “I was in the kitchen, so I didn’t see you.”

“When did you get here?” 

“Two…three…maybe one hours ago.” Namjoo counted with the wrong number of fingers.

“Maybe you should stop drinking,” Sehun suggested reaching for her wine glass, but Namjoo tucked it against her chest and made a face at him.

“You get your own,” she told off.

He gave her one look before shrugging out of his blazer. “Did you drive here?”

“Yes.” She grinned cutely. Poking his shoulder with a finger, “But I know you’ll take me home.”

Sehun’s cheeks grew hot. Had Namjoo been expecting it?

“Here, it’s breezy out here,” Sehun said holding his blazer open for her.

Slipping an arm into it she held out her wine glass, “Do you want to share?”

“No. I have to drive, remember?” 

She gave him a thumbs up before walking away, quickly joining the others in a loud voice. Rooted by the table Sehun watched Namjoo energetically converse, joke around, throw her head back to laugh. He thought she was the loudest one there, but he was glad. Namjoo had been sad and depressed. She deserved to enjoy herself. In this moment, she was happy.

When Namjoo returned to the table for more drinks he said, “You’re drunk. Lets go home.”

“I am not drunk.” She denied, but he could already see how unfocused her eyes were.

She swayed and loudly grasped the table for balance. “See?” he pointed out. “I’ll take you home.”

Taking her arm, he checked for her keys and purse then stumbled out with her threatening to pull him to the ground. Laughter rolled out of her as she put all her weight against him. “I guess I am drunk.”

Numerous times he had handled Namjoo in her drunken state. Twice she woke up in his bed. All three times she called out the name Yeol. Did Namjoo know who he was tonight?

On the road he glanced in her direction to find Namjoo’s eyes closed. Lowering the speed, he rolled the windows up to keep the wind from distracting her sleep. Sehun drove the rest of the way to her place wondering if he might have to help her up to her apartment and if he should make hangover soup for her tomorrow.

The lights out front shone brightly so he didn’t drive into the garage. Namjoo awoke when he killed the engine and sat up appearing sober. Removing her seatbelt, she pushed the door open and stepped out. Wondering if she’d forgotten him he hurried out.

Namjoo was yawning outside. Lowering her hand she looked at him and broadly beamed. Whether it be the stars or the lights, her eyes sparkled so prettily. Sehun mulled over how snug she looked in his blazer. Maybe he’d let her keep it.

“Then uh…good night,” he shyly smiled looking at her then away then at her again.

Sehun held his breath when Namjoo took a step forward. Her eyes his into an endless whirlpool. Then reaching her hand up he felt her fingertips graze his cheek. The rest of the world stilled, quieted. Standing on tiptoes, Namjoo leaned up into him. Eyes landed on her pink lips, her half-closed eyes. Everything in him pounded loudly. Waiting…waiting…waiting…

Then a foolish smile pulled her lips up. Falling back onto her soles she lowered her head, withdrew her hand, “Oh…sorry…for a moment I thought you were…”

Yet his heart rammed hard. Tonight, he hadn’t been able to keep his eyes off her. They hadn’t been able to have a good conversation, but she had come knowing he would take her home. He had gone not knowing what to expect. Tonight, would be cut too short like this.

Tonight, she knew he wasn’t Yeol.

Namjoo’s hand landed on his shoulder when he abruptly slid an arm around her lower back, pulling her into him. His heart raced so very hard. All his life’s courage put into this moment made his breath push out faster. Slowly, he leaned down then opened his mouth to kiss her. His eyes closed but everything lit up magnificently.

He pulled back only far enough to let their lips brush. Her warm breath gushed out unevenly. Cupping her face he opened his mouth to kiss her again.


***And now Sehun has officially made it onto her side!! Being the first person to ever tell her that ~~^^~~ Now begins the push and pull/chasing game