Silent Breeze

Living With 7 Romeos

Waah! I didn’t expect the night breeze to be so cool”, Mav exclaimed as she went to the riverside and spread her arms.

Mav agreed to MyungSoo’s will to go with him, though he initially didn’t tell her at first where they were going. Both of them preferred to walk, much to Mav’s advantage since she always loved walking, especially at a time like this where there were not much people around. Despite preferring to walk in silence, MyungSoo was surprisingly chatty, asking her about school and her life back at her home. Mav answered MyungSoo’s questions courteously, even throwing a few stories about her funny experiences. It only took 30 minutes for them to reach their destination, and Mav squealed in delight when she saw the place.

Not a lot of people visit here at this time of night, so we’re good”, MyungSoo remarked as he stretched his arms over his head, standing a few inches beside Mav.

Isn’t this place supposed to be scary? I heard that this place is also full of ghosts”, Mav wittingly asked him, surreptitiously hiding her anxiety because of it.

Like the one beside you?”, MyungSoo pointed at the space beside her, causing her to side and push him as she moved away. Realizing that it was a joke due to MyungSoo’s loud laugh, she continuously slapped his back out of annoyance.

Ya! Stop it, it hurts”, MyungSoo exclaimed while laughing, holding Mav’s hands into his. When Mav finally cooled down a bit, they both laughed.

Do not scare me like that ever again”, Mav warned him with a glare, to which MyungSoo nodded.

They sat at a small patch of grass by the river. Their storytelling continued from ghost stories to magical entities, even talking about scary and magic themed films. Mav shared ghost experiences she had, as well as the different magical entities she knew of, while MyungSoo told her about the supernatural experiences that he and the members encountered during their schedules.

We realized that SungJong wasn’t really there. He’s been with HoYa the whole time when we called him”, MyungSoo told Mav, vividly explaining the events that had happened.

Wow. If it were me, I would have ran away from the set for a while. Who knew that even filming sets could be haunted”, Mav remarked looking up in the sky, trying to imagine that particular scenario.

Yeah. After shooting, we demanded GoNam-hyung to send us home immediately”, MyungSoo replied, shaking his head as if still in denial of what they saw.

They continued to share stories like that until Mav realized that MyungSoo never did the tell her the reason why he suddenly asked her to go with him to Han river. She just immediately agreed to it, no questions asked. Curiosity soon got the best of her, and she asked MyungSoo.

So, why did you suddenly invited me to come here?”, Mav asked in a straightforward manner. It stunned MyungSoo for a while but recollected himself after a few seconds.

Cautiously, he pulled out the bracelet out of his pocket, holding it between his fingers to show to Mav.

That…”, Mav whispered.

This…”, MyungSoo whispered back. In a blink of an eye, he threw the bracelet with all his strength towards the river.

Mav was in a state of shock with what she just witnessed. To throw something like that, something so heavy that he carried for months, she felt a wave of nostalgia and relief at the same time. It was brave of him to let go of something like that, something that was once dear to him. The moonlight shone on both of their faces, and Mav noticed only one emotion plastered in MyungSoo’s face.

Contentment.

They were both silent for a while, just enjoying each other’s company in silence. The breeze continued to blow a bit strongly until it settled to a light feeling.

I never really thought it was possible… but I was wrong”, MyungSoo uttered, breaking the silence that once existed.

Some of the things that we deem impossible are only possible when we have faith”, Mav remarked, causing to MyungSoo to look at her direction.

That’s very wise of you to say… Thank you”, MyungSoo replied, slightly shifting closer to her.

Mav noticed it but she didn’t mind. She knew that he needed someone to be with. She didn’t realize that she placed her head in his left shoulder, causing to him to stiffen for a second, and eventually giving in.

Love is somewhat complicated but it is something to be thankful for”, Mav uttered, yawning in the process.

For without love, we will never know the true meaning of pain, of suffering, of happiness, and of compassion.

MyungSoo just stared at the river as he took in her statement, reflecting every word of it.

Seems like you know a thing or two about love”, MyungSoo remarked, stretching his hand as if to feel the quick breeze that brushed them.

I might”, Mav grinned sheepishly, now removing her head from his shoulder.

Thank you.

Mav just looked at MyungSoo, stunned.

For what?”, she asked, imitating MyungSoo’s gesture.

MyungSoo didn’t reply. He just smiled and ruffled her hair lightly, making it her turn to stiffen for a bit. He was thankful because at least he had someone to turn to after letting go of his past, his burdens, and his fears… and he was glad that it was her. Despite their initial misgivings, MyungSoo trusted her easily without a hint of hesitation.

It was already reaching to five in the morning when they realized that they have been out for a while, and MyungSoo noticed Mav yawning every now and then.

Let’s go back”, MyungSoo told her, getting up on his feet, offering his hand to her.

“Wait”, Mav yawned for the nth time, standing lazily from the ground. They were set to walk when a grumble caused them to stop.

That was just my tummy saying I’m sleepy”, Mav retorted, walking at a faster pace with a flustered face. MyungSoo couldn’t help laughing.

Ya, I know a really good shop, not far from here. They make really good pastries and dishes. My treat”, MyungSoo caught up to her, waving his wallet.

Well, I’m in no position to decline free food”, Mav happily obliged, and both of them set off, laughing.

 

My son! Why are you here at this time of day? Another schedule, I see? And I see that you brought a lady”, the shop owner greeted MyungSoo happily as he and Mav entered the place. Mav gave him a bewildered look, to which he chuckled in response.

I’m a regular in this shop way before I debuted as a singer. The owner treats me as his son, and I can attest that he makes delicious bean buns and stew”, MyungSoo told her, crossing his heart. “No schedule for today, just visiting my favorite dad”, MyungSoo now turned to the owner, greeting him with the same energy.

Your father might be jealous when he hears that”, the owner remarked, resulting into a boisterous laughter coming from them.

It only took them a few minutes to reach the shop. After sharing a few greetings, the owner ushered them to corner with the best street view.

What will the young lady have?”, the shop owner excitedly asked Mav, keeping his cheerful demeanor.

Uh…”, Mav was speechless. She had no idea what to really order. Any kind of food would appease her hunger at the moment. Noticing her hesitation, the owner quickly spoke.

Since it’s early in the morning, how about I make you some egg toast sandwich? On the house!”, the owner exclaimed, causing her to flinch a bit.

Appa! You really are the best!”, MyungSoo replied with a wide smile.

For you, son, you’ll have your usual. I’ll just add a couple of more side dishes”, the owner remarked, tapping MyungSoo’s back in the process.

If you need anything, just call me”, the owner added, making his way to the kitchen to cook.

Thank you, you’re very kind!”, Mav shouted, waving his hand in reply.

So, what do you usually have?”, Mav’s curiosity grew again, nibbling on a couple of biscuits on the table.

You’ll see”, he grinned in reply, also taking a bite of the biscuit.

 

After a couple of minutes of casual conversation, food was already served in front of them. Mav carefully took a bite of the sandwich, and, true to his words, the owner was an excellent cook. The food was simple but rich in flavor. She continued to dig in after seconds, focusing solely on the meal in front of her. As for MyungSoo, he had his usual, kimchi jjigae, with a couple of potatoes, bean sprouts, and fishcake as side dishes. As if almost inhaling their food, they ate their meals in total silence, not one of them speaking to each other. The only sound that filled the place was the sweet old song coming from the radio, the occasional singing of the owner, and the sound of slurping and chewing from Mav and MyungSoo. As they finished the meal, the owner came out and offered them a box sweet bean buns, much to Mav’s excitement.

The dish was really good! Thank you”, Mav spoke to the owner in delight, earning a chuckle from him and MyungSoo.

Your meal wouldn’t be complete without having a taste of my signature bean buns. I decided to wrap it since I thought, maybe your brothers are already looking for you”, the owner sheepishly remarked. Mav nodded in understanding to whom he referred as brothers.

To their surprise, they both checked the clock, and it was already six in the morning. Hurriedly, both of them bowed to the owner and left the shop.

Come back soon!”, the owner added, waving at them gleefully, to which they waved back.

Such wonderful kids”, he uttered happily, returning to his shop.

 

Mav and MyungSoo ran as fast as they could, only taking quick breaths as resting intervals. They reached the dorm in several minutes, and decided to collect themselves before opening the door. To their relief, the others were asleep. Chuckling quietly, the two went to their separate rooms, until Mav called MyungSoo quietly.

What about this?”, Mav whispered pointing at the box she firmly held, enough for MyungSoo to hear.

Keep it in your room for a while. We’ll eat it later”, MyungSoo replied in a hushed tone. With that, they waved at each other, as if keeping a secret between the two of them.

Mav entered her room with the biggest grin she could muster, holding the box tightly. She put the box on the table and plopped herself on her bed, recollecting the events that had happened before finally drifting to sleep. On the other hand, MyungSoo quietly opened his shared room with SungGyu and SungJong and tiptoed towards his bed. He didn’t realize that he was drowsy until he felt his eyes droop slowly. However, this was interrupted by SungYeol’s voice echoing outside.

Who brought bean buns?”, SungYeol shouted, sleepily making his way towards the bathroom as he noticed a peculiar smell.

In between the silence of the early morning, a stifled laughter was heard from two rooms, separated by a warm space.