Complications Over Luck

Living With 7 Romeos

Come on, Mav! We’re going to be late!”, WooHyun shouted from the living room while playing with his phone.

Just a second!”, Mav shouted back, checking her things for the eighth time.

Seriously, it’s only 6:30. Their rehearsal doesn’t even start ‘til 10:00, Mav thought as she slipped her arm in her bag’s strap.

It was the first wave of Mav’s examinations. Despite only having three subjects, she had a hard time reviewing for the upcoming assessment, considering that she had a “rollercoaster” weekend. Not only that but she also had different activities and projects that needed to be done. 24 hours was not enough for her to finish all of these.

On the other hand, INFINITE had already released their comeback track and music video and was scheduled to perform on three music programs for the week. Everybody was both excited and nervous since they also had their upcoming concert the next month.

After leaving her room, Mav stopped at her tracks at the sight before her.

SungYeol and SungJong were holding two lunch boxes, HoYa was holding two juice boxes and a bottle of water, and DongWoo was holding a Pororo doll. Mav couldn’t help but chuckle at them.

Guys, the examination only lasts for three hours”, Mav chuckled while fixing her shirt.

…and we’re hoping that you’ll do well. We know how much time you have dedicated for studying... we wanted to at least boost your spirit”, HoYa commented, handing the juice boxes and water bottle to her.

What’s with the Pororo doll?”, Mav laughingly remarked, pointing at the doll DongWoo was holding.

Something to cheer you up… and as an apology for not fetching you from that restaurant two nights ago”, DongWoo answered, handing the doll to her. SungYeol immediately looked at Mav after realizing what DongWoo said, to which Mav only nodded back.

’Tis okay. With all these stuff, I’m going to need a bigger bag”, Mav commented, trying to carry both the beverages and the toy.

Here”, WooHyun handed her a box – like bag big enough to fit all the items given to her.

Take care of that. That’s where I put my album collection. I’m especially lending it to you since it’s your ‘big’ day”, WooHyun added.

Good luck, dongsaeng! Fighting!”, SungJong told Mav while pulling her in a hug, causing all the members to be surprised.

Since when did you get this sentimental?”, SungYeol retorted.

I’m always like this”, SungJong answered back, making the others snort in disbelief.

The group continued to help Mav stuff, not noticing SungGyu and MyungSoo coming out from their room.

Come on. GeoNam – hyung is already at the parking lot”, SungGyu spoke, causing the other members, including Mav, to flinch.

 

MyungSoo”, SungGyu quietly called out, making MyungSoo turn his head towards him.

Mm, hyung?”, MyungSoo answered, packing his extra shirt inside his bag.

Seeing how everyone was loud and busy in preparing Mav’s stuff, SungGyu decided to take this opportunity to talk to MyungSoo alone. He was ready to ask MyungSoo about what happened between him and Mav, hoping that he will give light to SungGyu’s queries.

I want to talk about Mav”, SungGyu simply said. MyungSoo understood what he meant and let out a huge sigh.

Hyung, you shouldn’t be mad at her. If anything, you should be mad at me”, MyungSoo said, not facing SungGyu.

I saw what happened, your confession and your almost kiss”, SungGyu pointed out, causing MyungSoo to look at him in confusion.

Co-confession? K-ki-kiss?”, MyungSoo stuttered.

You almost kissed her the last time we drank, you know, when we celebrated our anniversary… guess you weren’t sober that time, seeing how you don’t seem to remember it”, SungGyu explained.

I almost kissed her?, MyungSoo thought, but tried to shake it off.

Anyway, I gave her a dangerous errand, causing her to be in trouble. If it weren’t for Howon – hyung, she wouldn’t be here by now. Don’t be mad at her, hyung. I’m sorry”, MyungSoo apologized, causing SungGyu to be surprised.

I wasn’t expecting that, SungGyu thought. He believes in a different reason on why Mav was avoiding MyungSoo despite MyungSoo’s efforts to talk to her. Apparently, there was another reason, a more valid one in this case.

It already happened, Myung. Don’t apologize to me. It is her whom you owe an apology for”, SungGyu responded, causing MyungSoo to hang his head low.

Hyung…”, MyungSoo was about to say something when a loud laughter erupted from the living room, causing both to be startled.

I guess we better get going. GeoNam – hyung might get mad”, SungGyu pointed out as he made his way towards the door. MyungSoo followed him afterward.

Gyu – hyung, help me to apologize, MyungSoo thought as he stepped outside their room.

 

The trip to the studio was long and tiring, considering the traffic they had to go through. All of the members were silent during the ride, with the exception of SungJong shifting and turning from his seat. HoYa gave him a worried look.

SungJong – ie, what’s the matter?”, HoYa asked, adjusting himself from his seat to get a better look at SungJong.

Oh, hyung, I just can’t seem to get the right spot”, SungJong answered as he continued to struggled to look for a comfortable position.

Want to change seats?”, HoYa offered but SungJong declined.

No need, hyung. I already found it”, SungJong assured him, shifting his back towards the car window.

For the whole duration of the trip, SungJong pretended to be fine with his position, not wanting to get any attention from HoYa again. When the group have finally reached the studio, they immediately changed into their performance clothes and rushed to the stage to practice.

Alright kids, we’ll be having two rehearsals and three performances for the different angle shots”, the PD told them. The seven of them immediately went up the stage to warm – up. While the others were stretching their arms and legs, SungJong however felt pain creeping up from his lower back. He decided to disregard it and continue with their performance. After the first rehearsal, all of them decided to take a quick rest. SungJong, still enduring the pain, quickly sat down at the nearest chair, hoping that the pain will go away. HoYa, however, noticed his discomfort.

SungJong, are you sure that you’re alright?”, HoYa asked, sitting beside him.

Yeah. No worries, hyung”, SungJong replied, trying to form a smile from his lips.

Take three!”, the PD shouted, causing the members to return to the stage for the actual performance.

You can do this. Endure it for now, SungJong thought as he tried to remind himself.

The lights started to dim, the fan chants were getting louder, the music suddenly played, and the members gave a powerful intro, causing the fans to squeal louder than before. As the performance went on, paralysis crept up on SungJong’s whole back, causing him to freeze on his spot. DongWoo was the first one to notice SungJong’s frozen figure. Making eye contact, he gave him a worrying look. With dread in his eye, SungJong cried for help.

Hyung… hyung… I can’t…”, unable to finish his sentence, the music stopped as the PD noticed that SungJong stopped moving. All the members went to him in a rush.

Yah, SungJong – ah, where does it hurt?”, SungYeol asked, careful not to touch him.

My back, hyung”, SungJong replied, still immobile.

We need to bring you to the hospital”, HoYa quickly said as he tapped the emergency number in his phone.

Concerned voices were heard from the fans. Some were shocked, some were crying. As soon as the ambulance came, the medical team carefully guided SungJong inside, with SunHo and SungGyu tagging along.

Don’t worry. It’ll be alright”, SungGyu assured SungJong as he sat beside him, hoping that everything will turn out fine soon.

 

I’m home!”, Mav shouted loud enough to be heard across the hall. Suspiciously, the whole apartment was dark except from the light coming out from the kitchen.

It’s already 11 though, Mav thought as she neatly placed her shoes in the shoe rack.

As soon as she was about to enter her room, a light pat at her shoulder startled her. She quickly turned around to see who it was, her face softening as she saw his face.

Oh, SungGyu – oppa, why?”, Mav softly asked, hoping that the conversation would drop quickly. She wasn’t ready to face SungGyu. In the past few days, they didn’t really settle for a conversation. Small talks were enough.

Can we talk?” SungGyu asked with caution, to which Mav nodded in approval. Mav opened the door to her room and urged SungGyu to sit at the bed. Mav, on the other hand, sat on the chair near her table.

So, what’s up?”, Mav asked, playing with her hands.

I’m sorry”, SungGyu quickly blurted out, causing Mav to look at him.

I should be the one who’s sorry. I shouldn’t have opened up to you more”, Mav replied, feeling sorry more than ever.

…but I should’ve trusted you more”, SungGyu answered in return, causing Mav to tear up a little bit. SungGyu slowly approached her and knelt down before her.

Tell you what, promise me that you’ll tell me whatever you’re feeling, no matter how small or big. I promise that I’ll try to understand. Deal?”, SungGyu smiled, causing Mav to loosen up a bit.

I promise”, Mav replied with a smile. With that, SungGyu stood up and stretched his legs.

I should let you sleep”, SungGyu said, making his way to the door. Before he could step out, Mav reached out to hug him from behind, causing SungGyu to startle.

Thank you”, Mav said from behind, slowly letting go of her arms. Instead, SungGyu faced her and did the same thing.

You should study. I’ll be here whenever you need to help”, SungGyu said as she ruffled her hair.

 

Morning came and Mav was woken up by the sunrise coming out from the window of her room. It was their free day, meaning that their classes were cancelled. This was to give way to their exam on the next day. She sluggishly got out from bed and started to walk out of her room. She didn’t bother to fix her bed first since she was thirsty. She slowly went to the kitchen, only to be surprised by a cooking SungJong in front of the oven.

Oh, Mav, you’re awake”, SungJong remarked as he saw Mav make her way to the refrigerator.

What are you making?”, Mav peered at his shoulder, inhaling the aroma coming out from the pan.

Kimchi rice”, SungJong replied with a smile, looking over his shoulder to get a better view of her

Want me to help?”, Mav offered, grabbing an apron at the rack near the refrigerator.

Actually, I have it covered”, SungJong replied, going over the cupboard to grab some sesame seeds. As he was about to reach the seeds, his back started to feel numb again.

Mav”, SungJong quickly called out.

Mm?”, Mav replied, her eyes fixated on the pan, not letting the food burn.

Help”, SungJong blurted, causing Mav to quickly turn around.

What happened?”, Mav quickly asked, shocked at SungJong’s frozen figure.

Call for an ambulance, please”, SungJong instructed, still unmoving.

Mav quickly grabbed the nearest phone and punched in the hospital’s number. After calling, she quickly went back to SungJong.

Don’t wake the others”, SungJong requested, as if sensing Mav’s next action.

Then, how do I help?”, Mav looked at him worriedly.

Just stay by my side”, SungJong replied, using his free arm to pull her close to him.