Chapter 11; Family

A place to Belong

Mark took a step forward as his eyes suddenly glowed bright red and he snarled; “why do you have this picture?!”

Jieun stood like frozen. Her grandmother had told her that the man in that picture most likely was her dad, and her uncle had – doing a particularly vicious scolding – said that her mom had put mourning bands on it before committing suicide. She never thought that she may have siblings somewhere, but looking at Mark now, she could see the similarities.

Mark took a step closer and growled “answer me!” but instead of answering, she tore the picture out of his hand and opened the door while yelling “SAMCHON!”

 

The 13 men in the ground floor all jumped up in shock as Jieun and Mark descended the stairs while Jieun said; “can we talk? Like, now?” Dr. Lee shot Mark a brief glance and when he noticed that his irises were still edged by red, he said; “of course, let’s go to my office.”

When they got into the office and the door had closed behind them, Dr. Lee leaned on his desk and said; “what is so important?” Mark was still standing by the door and when she looked at him, he raised an eyebrow challenging, so she exhaled slowly and said; “do you remember when we talked about my dad?” Dr. Lee frowned while saying; “yes, but why can’t it wait? And what does that have to –” he cut himself off with a simple “oh”, because Jieun handed him the picture and he instantly saw the resemblance to Mark, so Mark growled; “what’s going on? Talk to me!” Dr. Lee sighed and said; “please, have a seat, then I’ll explain as much as I can”.

When they all were seated, Dr. Lee looked at Mark and said; “do you know if your father found anyone new after your mother?” Mark frowned and said; “he never remarried, but why do you ask?” Dr. Lee nodded and said; “did he have a girlfriend?” Mark gave him a look, so he said; “please, just answer my questions for now, I’ll explain later.” Mark decided to indulge him and said; “yeah, he had a girlfriend, but she suddenly left. There was a rumour that it was because she was pregnant.” A small gasp escaped Jieun’s lips, and when Mark looked at her, he discovered a single tear roll down her cheek. Dr. Lee gave her hand a gentle squeeze, but looked at Mark and said; “the reason Jieun-ie pulled you in here was because of this man” and handed him the picture. When Mark took it, he continued; “he’s most likely Jieun-ie’s dad.” Mark looked up with big eyes and said; “what? Jieun –” before a faint smile spread across his lips when he looked at her and said; “you’re my baby sister?” and when she nodded, Mark pulled her close to him and whispered “I thought I was alone” Dr. Lee let them sit like that for a while before he said; “may I take a sample to see if your DNA proves us right?” and both nodded with grateful smiles.

When they came out from the office, the rest of GOT7 were quickly on their feet to hear what was going on, but stopped when Jieun held both hands up and said; “stop!” VIXX quickly got to their feet too, and N asked if she was okay. When she just nodded, Mark sighed and said; “a lot has happened today. We’ll leave for now.”

When GOT7 was getting ready, Leo came over to Jieun and placed a hand on her arm, silently offering her a smoothie. Mark coincidentally looked up as she accepted it, and he saw how her eyes for a brief second glowed blue, so when he said goodbye, he pulled her close and whispered; “the eyes were for Leo” Jieun pulled her head back with a “eh?!” so he laughed and said; “trust me. See ya later.” before he left the house with his confused littermates.

When the door closed, Dr. Lee looked at her and asked if she was okay. She nodded with a smile, but they could all see that it didn’t reach her eyes, so Hongbin sighed and said; “Eun-ah, you don’t have to pretend in front of us. It’s okay to have feelings.” She smiled again, and this time it reached her eyes as she said; “oh, Binnie-oppa. I’m okay, I’m just tired” before she said goodnight and went to her bedroom – without looking at Leo.

A couple of days later Mark visited again together with Jackson, who sat down in the kitchen to talk with N and Hyuk while Mark went to Dr. Lee’s office with Jieun. When the young were seated, Dr. Lee said; “do you know how to read DNA answers?” and when they only shook their heads, he nodded and said; “it’s okay, then I’ll skip the details” before he smiled and said; “the test was positive, you’re siblings”. Jieun closed her eyes and released a shaking breath, that she didn’t realize she was holding. Mark looked at her with a big smile, but it quickly turned to concern when he saw the tears running down her cheeks. He gently placed a hand on her shoulder and said; “Jieun-ah?”

She quickly opened her eyes, and when she got eye contact with Mark, she surprised the two men by exclaiming; “Oh God!” before throwing her arms around Mark’s neck and whisper; “I have a brother, I have a brother” over and over. Mark chuckled and said; “yes you have, and I’m not going anywhere” while her hair.

When she finally stopped crying, and had a steady breathing again, they went to the three young men in the living room, and when Hyuk saw them, he smiled and said; “wauw, you seem happy” Jieun brightened in a big smile and said; “yeah” but then cleared and tried not to smile to much when she said; “oppa, meet my half-brother”. The other three were surprised, but congratulated them as the last of VIXX entered, and Ravi asked “what’s going on?” so Jieun smiled again and said “oppa! Samchon just confirmed it!” while she wrapped her arms around Mark, so the four newcomers looked confused at each other for a short second before Hongbin said; “uh, what did he confirm?” Jieun’s smile got even bigger, if that was possible, when she let go of Mark and practically bounced while saying “Mark! He’s my brother!”

Ken smiled, knowing how sad she had been not really feeling like a part of the Kwon family, and said “this deserves a celebration”. Dr. Lee entered just then, and said; “you’re right. What do you say to a barbeque night?” When Jieun and the boys just looked at him, he continued; “you’re sisters could come too.” She turned to the boys, but Jackson looked at Mark before she could give them puppy eyes, and said “why not? We did talk about having a barbeque soon anyway.” Mark nodded and said “sure, but we just have to check with the others first”.

Two days later came both GOT7 and Jieuns littermates for barbeque. When they all were seated and started to eat, Minhee realized that Mark and Jieun’s dad wasn’t there, so she looked at Mark and innocently asked “ain’t your dad coming?” He looked down while saying “no, he’s not” so she frowned lightly and said; “why? Didn’t he get happy?” Mark sighed and said “he, uh, he’s” he briefly looked at Jieun before saying “he’s dead”. Everyone became silent and Minhee stammered “I, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to –” but Mark gave her a small smile and said; “it’s okay, it’s years ago.”

A gloomy atmosphere fell over the group, but it didn’t last long before Jieun jumped to her feet with a “AH! IT’S COLD!” because both Youngjae and Hannah had tried to lift the mood – Youngjae by putting more meat on the grill, and Hannah by reaching for the side dishes to ask if anyone wanted more – and had in their hast knocked the jug with ice water into Jieuns lap. When she said “oh, you’re gonna regret this” Hannah quickly said “I’m sorry. It was an accident!” while she slowly took a couple steps back and tried to hide behind N. The boys were confused for a moment until Jieun managed to grab her as her eyes lit up with mischief, and she poured the rest of the water and ice down her back where it quickly started to melt. Hannah squealed and the others started to laugh, realizing she wasn’t mad at all. Dr. Lee chuckled as well, but then said; “you better go inside and change your clothes, so you won’t get sick.”

Jieun quickly found some dry clothes for them and when they had changed, she told Hannah to just go ahead while she hang the wet clothes up so that it wouldn’t get mouldy. When she got down, she heard Dr. Lee and Mark in the kitchen, but halted on the last step when she realized that Mark was telling him about how their dad had committed suicide after Jieun’s mom had become pregnant, and wanted the child. He had not believed that he deserved to live, for he was certain that he had condemned her to death just like Mark’s mother.

For the rest of the night, Jieun tried to pretend that nothing was wrong, though her littermates could of course clearly see it, but they knew her well enough to not say anything in front of the boys and tried to find an opportunity to talk about it. Before they had a chance though, JB cleared his throat and said “uh, Jieun-ah. My dad’s coming home from the hospital tomorrow, and he, he wanted me to invite you for our Moon dinner.” Jieun just looked at him, so Mark said “JB’s dad is like a uncle to us all and when he heard I have a sister, then he wanted to meet you”. Jieun looked stunned between the two littermates, but then sighed and said “I’d love to oppa, but I’ve promised Sooyoung unnie to come home” She barely finished her words before Sooyoung quickly said “it’s okay with me!” Jieun shook her head with a smile and said “and let Hannah have to listen to Niel oppa all night?” Hannah swallowed before saying “Hey! He’s not that bad!” When the other girls gave her skeptical looks, she sighed and said; “Changjo’s worse! Besides, we only agreed that you join us for dinner, so you can just go afterwards.” Jieun didn’t look fully persuaded, so Mark looked at her and said pleadingly “what if we pick you up?” That did it, she smiled at him while saying “I’d love to come, and it’s only better if you’ll pick me up.”