Chapter 1: Leaving the Pack

A place to Belong

Jieun saw how the Flock girls gathered around Teen Top and sighed. Sooyoung, one of her littermates, nudged her shoulder and said; “go on over and say hi to him” Jieun shook her head and said; “no, unnie. I’m only an Omega.” Minhee, another littermate, looked at her upset and said; “Ya, Kwon Jieun! You’re a Beta!” Jieun sighed and said; “I don’t know anymore, unnie. Everyone’s ignoring me since Jiyong oppa left.” Minhee sighed and they felt sorry for their friend. Although Jieun was niece of the Kwon pack Alpha, and had lived with him since her mother died, the majority of the flock did not see her as a Beta, because her mother had not had a mate. In fact, many did not even know she had a boyfriend before she suddenly was pregnant. It was only thanks to Jieuns cousin and his litter that she had been able to live the good life she had had until now, but Jiyong and the rest of Bigbang had gone on an extended vacation with their mates.

Just then, the two magnae of Teen Top walked by, so Hannah, their last littermate, quickly said; “Changjo oppa!” and when they stopped, she smiled at them and said; “we were just talking about Bigbang. Have you heard anything about when they’ll be back?” Changjo sat down on an empty seat next to Jieun and said; “No, Seunghyun hyung wrote briefly when they had arrived in Tokyo, but I haven’t heard from him since.” He smiled and said; “you would think he would keep in touch with his cousin” he turned towards Jieun and said; “what about you? Have you heard from Jiyong hyung?” Jieun shook her head and said; “no. Though he promised to write.” She looked down at the table and said quietly; “I miss him”. Changjo turned slightly in his chair, placed his arm on the back of her chair and rested the other hand on top of hers, as he looked her in the eyes and said seriously; “he’ll contact you. After all, he loves you almost as much as he loves Kiko noona.” Jieun nodded slowly, so Changjo gave her a small smile and said; “hey, beli-” but stopped when his phone started to ring. He pulled it out and mumbled; “aish.” Before looking at Ricky and said; “it’s umma. She’ll probably wanna know what’s taking us so long.” He gave the girls a small smile and said; “sorry, we promised her to come for dinner” before he and Ricky got up and walked away.

Jieun watched Changjo leave and thought *why can’t I just say what I feel? Would you even go out with a pup like me? A simple-*. Her thoughts were interrupted by Minhee exclaiming; “Jieun-ah! You’re eyes!” Jieun quickly looked to her friend, who held up her phone, so Jieun could see her reflection on the screen – and her eyes that glowed blue. She looked shocked at her friends and said; “omo! What do I do?” Hannah handed her sunglasses to Jieun while she said; “go home, and avoid eye contact. I’ll come tomorrow and then we’ll figure out what's going on.”

 

Jieun had almost reached home when Jungmin and his litter, who had been worst at picking on her, stopped her and wanted to know what she had talked about with Changjo and Ricky. Jieun quickly said; “that’s between us” and tried to get pass, but Sungmin snorted and said; “what do you think you’re doing?” Jieun sighed and said; “I don’t have to explain myself to you, I’m a Beta!” but that made Sunghee, Sungmin’s twin sister, exclaim; “you stupid pup!” and slap her, so her sunglasses flew off, and they could see her blue eyes. One of the others said out loud; “what the hell? You’re a freak!” Soon, blows and kicks rained down on Jieun, leaving her without a chance to cushion them.

When they finally stopped and disappeared, Jieun slowly got to her feet and walk home. When she reached the door she stopped from the thought, that her uncle would beat her or lock her in the cage like at full moon, if not both, and that made her take a step back, then another and then another before she turned around and ran out of the neighborhood.

Jieun continued into the trees and let all of her emotions run through her body as she Shifted without stopping or seeing where she ran. She felt the negative emotions seep out of her body until only the sense of feeling the wind rushing through her fur remained, and she had nearly howled with joy – until she heard something snap and a sharp pain simultaneously shot up through her right hind leg. She let out a howl of pain, looked at her hind leg and realized that she was stuck in a bear trap. She cursed herself far away in her mind for not having watched where she was going, and tried to pull her leg out, but the only thing she got out of it was a new shooting pain and a few deep gashes in her leg.

Jieun let pain, fatigue and all the emotions run over her again, and sank to the ground as she quietly Shifted back into human. She heard a branch snap and felt a hand catch her head so she reopened her eyes, and looked straight into a vampire’s glowing red eyes.

*Oh God, don’t let me die here* and with that thought, everything became black.