m a l i c e

OPERATION: HATE (PREQUEL)

 

 

 

 

 

###

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I'm so sorry I didn't make it through for the Tuesday update... Didn't really think updating twice a week would be this pressuring and hard on me hahahaha.... I'll be more responsible now. Thank you all for the tremendous amount of patience with me... 

Saturday (CST) update IS STILL HAPPENING~

Anyways~ Enjoy and leave feedbacks~ Love y'all lots~

###

 

 

 

 

 “So do you still want that ticket back to Seoul or…” Jaebum’s voice sounded a bit broken through the screen due to bad connection. Makes sense though, since Mark was in a villa high up in the mountains.


 

    Pouring a decent amount of oil on the pan, Mark sighed, “just hold it off for now.” The agent let the oil heat up a little before cracking four eggs into the pan.


 

    Jaebum stared at his best friend’s back and shook his head silently. It’s already weird that they’re video calling so early in the morning. Now, it’s even more weird that Mark decided to stay back even after basically begging Jaebum to ask JYP to pull back orders. Mark clearly wanted to go back as soon as possible. But here he was, standing in the Chairman’s kitchen cooking breakfast. At this point, Jaebum just couldn’t figure out what Mark really wanted. Because Mark just kept going back and forth. Never really picked one side and stayed.


 

    “Why?”


 

    “What do you mean?”


 

    “Like why did you suddenly changed your mind? I thought you hated there.”


 

    Mark moved the sunny side-up eggs onto a plate and set it aside. Turning back to grab some toasts and a stick of butter, Mark catch a glimpse of his best friend putting on a white button-up. “I do hate it here.”


 

    “Well?


 

    “Stop putting on clothes for a bit and look at me, Jaebum-ah.”


 

    Immediately, Jaebum stopped, leaving his shirt opened to reveal broad chest and ripped abs. Anyone who passes by would totally misunderstood. Mark set down the toasts and butter. He loomed over his laptop and had both hands on either side of it. His eyes bored into the little webcam. Mark knew Jaebum would understand.


 

    A few seconds passed and Jaebum’s laughter erupted into the silence atmosphere of an early morning. “That’s some soulful stare, Tuan. Goodness, you look like you’ll jump from the screen and eat me alive.”

 

    

    Mark rolled his eyes and picked up the things he needed again. The agent turned back to the pan to slightly fry the toasts. “You get it?”


 

    Jaebum’s laughter died down. A smile could be heard in his voice, “yeah. I don’t know the feeling myself, but you look devastated, sweetie. You sure, though? You know, Jinyoung… How should I say this… He’s…”


 

    “I know,” Mark interrupted, “but it happened naturally. I can’t stop it. And honestly, I don’t want to? You know me, Bum. I’ve been with so many people, but never have I ever felt this way towards anyone before. It’s just… The feeling is just so strong.”


 

    “I trust you. You know what you’re getting yourself into. There’s really nothing for me to say if you’re already set on this.”


 

    “Yeah. You’re disappointed?”


 

    “What?”


 

    “Disappointed that it’s him?”


 

    “And not me? yeah.”


 

    “Jaaaaaebum-"


 

    “Kidding! God, I like women, thank you very much.”


 

    “You just never been with a man,” Mark shrugged, fishing out the toasts onto another plate.


 

    Jaebum rolled his eyes, “stop trying to convert me to your biual-ness. Pretty sure I’m straight as .”


 

    “You don’t really know the future.”


 

    “You’re an .”


 

    “Thanks.”


 

    Groaning, Jaebum desparately wanted to reach in and punch his best friend in the throat. But refrained himself, because he’s a civilized being, not a ing monster. “ANYWAYS. As I was saying, I’m not disappointed. Just a little surprised? I mean Park Jinyoung, though? He’s like the total opposite of your type?”


 

    “Total opposite?”  


 

    “Well, minus the fact that he got a pretty face and a fine- body. Other than that, his personality . Don’t tell me you’re so blinded by his appearance that you let that entire trashy personality slide.”


 

    “You’re funny.”


 

    “Hey, I’m just saying. Like I love working with him, because although we don’t get along much, but our professionalism and work ethnic match each other’s. He’s a great partner and teammate. But as a friend? Dude ! So oblivious to everything that’s on a personal level.”


 

    Mark didn’t say anything, instead he just listened to Jaebum’s rant. There wasn’t anything for him to say anyways. What he wanted to say, he’d already said it all. While Jaebum ranted on and on, Mark busied himself with setting the table and placing the eggs and toasts in their spots. After a minute or so, the agent just automatically zoned out his best friend. Jaebum got way too into roasting Jinyoung.


 

    “So like-"


 

    “Can’t believe I woke up to your nasty complaints,” Jinyoung stalked into the kitchen suddenly, still a bit half-asleep. “Damn, you kiss your with that mouth?”


 

    Jaebum scoffed, rolling his eyes and cursing internally. Revenge should be sweet. He smirked and said, “so Mark~ Can I put my clothes back on now?”


 

    Jinyoung froze, hand gripping onto the top of the chair. So many questions ran through his head. But that wasn’t what surprised him. What surprised him was how fast it took him to be burning with anger. Literally, the moment those words reached his ears, his blood boiled madly.


 

    “Um…” Mark just raised an eyebrow at Jaebum’s ridiculous attempt. He just sighed. Why are they even best friends.


 

    “Get a damn room. This is my house,” the young master snapped out of it and gathered himself, pretending nothing happened. “Keep that disgusting out of here.”


 

    “Jaebum, just go to work,” Mark said, looking at his best friend through the laptop’s screen unamused.


 

    “No! Can we talk more? I miss you~”


 

    “Awe, I miss you, too~ Can’t wait to put a bullet through your brain, sweetheart~”


 

    “Your kink is showing~”


 

    Rolling his eyes, Mark groaned in annoyance, “bye.” He slammed his laptop close and rubbed his face with his hands. “Sorry about that.”


 

    The young master rolled his eyes and settled down in his seat. “It’s good. Isn’t it normal for a married couple to talk so often? Especially when they’re away from each other for a-”


 

    “We’re not-"


 

    “I’m eating. Shut up.”


 

    They had their toasts and eggs in silence. Like usual, a very tense and uncomfortable silence. Jinyoung was already not in a good mood. So Mark decided to not do anything else that could trigger the young master even more.


 

    The agent gathered the plates and silverwares in one huge stack before carrying them over to the sink. He rolled up his sleeves, all ready to clean up. Only to be stopped by a hand on his arm. Mark looked over at the owner of the hand. Titling his head a little in question, Mark tried to ignore the tingling feeling at the sudden skin contact.


 

    “Let me do it…” The offer came out in a small whisper.


 

    “Do you know how?”


 

    “You-"


 

    Chuckling, the agent scooted over a little, “how about I clean and you rinse? It’s faster.”


 

    “Okay…"

    

 

    “But are you sure? Don’t break any-"


 

    “I can do it!”


 

    “Just saying…” Mark glanced over and couldn’t help but smile. This was nice. If only this could last forever. But Mark knew better than to wish for something impossible.


 

    Did he made the right choice?


 

    Should he have left instead?





 

+

+

+





 

    He wasn’t going to be gone for long. Everything was at its right timing when he stepped out. Mark prepared meticulously to make sure the Chairman’s on maximum security. Since Mark was leaving for a bit to take care of some loose ends, Chairman Park was left with Jaehwan and a huge amount of other bodyguards. Although the numbers caused some inconvenience in moving around headquarters, the guards were pretty damn persistent. That’s the whole point. Mark wanted them to be as persistent as possible. It’s important that the Chairman must be protected at all cost even without his personal bodyguard around.


 

    That was the plan.


 

    Mark trusted Jaehwan to carry out this job with extreme cautions. That Christmas party incident woke up a lot of the allies of the mafia bosses Chairman Park killed. If there wasn’t a reason to go after the Beast’s blood before, then there was now. And it’s a perfect reason. They’re everywhere and taking more bold actions. Each step outside the safe zone equals each step closer to Hell.


 

    The plan was to surround and protect.


 

    But of course, some careless prick just have to it up.


 

    And of course, Mark would have to save the day.

 

    

    Because apparently, nobody was doing their job correctly.


 

    “Please, tell me you at least put a tracker inside his suit jacket like I asked,” the agent sighed, irritated with the news of a missing Chairman. He fixed his bluetooth earpiece to hear more clearly while desperately trying to focus on the road ahead. With the sudden news, everything else he needed to do became less than a priority.

 

    

    “Yes, they did,” Jaehwan answered firmly, “thank God they did. I ing swear I shouldn’t have left Young Master with them. I’m so sorry… I ed this up-"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

    “No, it’s okay. All you need to do now is send me the coordinates. Stop blaming yourself. We didn’t look at this in another possible perspective, but there might be a spy. I should have been more careful while assigning the formation. So we’re both to blame. Let’s stay calm now and get the Chairman back.”


 

    “Mark-ssi…”


 

    Hitting the steering wheel with his fist, Mark tried to stay neutral. But every cell in his body thought otherwise. He tried to clear his mind, because he needs to get to where he is before it’s too late. “. We were eating breakfast just fine this morning and now he’s…”


 

    “It-it won’t be b-bad, right? Young Master-"

 

    

    “He’ll be fine. He’s a trained agent. And he’s smart. I’m sure he can keep himself alive.”


 

    “Okay,” Jaehwan exhaled heavily, “I’ve send the location. You’re the closest at the moment. We’ll be right behind you.”


 

    Ripping the device out of his ear, Mark gripped tight onto the steering wheel and pressed hard on his accelerator. He knew he shouldn’t have left Jinyoung alone. Things always go wrong. No matter how much he mapped it out, without him by Jinyoung’s side, nothing ever turns out pretty. They’re bounded by the red string, and there’s no way to cut it. Anxiety ran along his spine. Taking off his shades, Mark couldn’t concentrate on anything. He felt so distracted.


 

    Half an hour later, Mark pulled up at the backside of an abandoned hotel building. He got out quickly and carefully shuts the car’s door. Already, the air felt toxic as Mark entered the building. Observing the premise, Mark could tell this hotel have been left run-down for a good decade or so. The smell of mold and rust attacked him right in the face the moment he stepped inside. It was a fairly large building. Finding the Chairman seemed to be a challenge. Mark took off running and opened doors after doors. He raced up the stairs on full alert to hear some kind of noise. Even if it’s a small sound. He just needed a strand of hope hanging somewhere.


 

    That strand of hope didn’t appear until Mark finally reached the ninth floor. Behind one of these doors was where all the thuds and thumps came from. The agent listened closely as he quietly made his way down the hall. He stopped in front of a room. For sure, the noises came from here. Carefully, Mark turned the knob and pushed the door open a little. Poking his head in first, Mark took measures to make sure it was safe to slip in. As soon as he got inside the room, the sounds of what seemed to be punches and kicks became more vivid in his ears. Mark walked towards it in slow steps. He was about to turn the corner when the view of a group of men cladded in black invaded his line of sight. The agent pressed himself against the wall on reflex. Mark waited a few seconds before craning a bit to process the situation. There were about eight men. Scanning down at the floor, Mark’s throat immediately gone dried.


 

    Seeing Jinyoung struggling to shield himself was what Mark had least expected.


 

    But Mark made no move.


 

    He just stood there and watched.


 

    Mark felt his body reacting in anger. But something was holding him back from throwing himself in there.


 

    As much as Mark wanted to do something. To save Jinyoung. But at the same time, his feet felt heavy and head swam with exhaustion. He balled his fists until his knuckles turned white and nails dug deep into the skin of his palms. It hurts. Witnessing this hurts him. His heart felt like someone ripped it out and stepped all over it. But his body won’t move.


 

    Because Jinyoung deserved this.

 

    

    Maybe not Jinyoung, but Chairman Park deserved this.


 

    And Mark was being selfish for once. It hurts him to see Jinyoung being beaten up like this. But who would get revenge for him when Jinyoung’s the one behind all of his pain? The one who kept stabbing at his heart mercilessly.


 

    Jinyoung was bitting down on every cry, refusing to let the physical pain be his weakness. With his body clinging to his sanity, Jinyoung couldn’t concentrate on forcing the drug out of his system. The dizziness only pressured him harder.


 

    Mark just watched Jinyoung suffered.


 

    The deadly squeeze of the agent’s heart rendered him breathless. He doesn’t know how long could he handle this any further. It hurts him even more when drops of dark blood started dripping from Jinyoung’s mouth. Mark put a hand against the wall to balance himself. He hated himself for being selfish and letting this happen. How could he let something like this happen to the person he regarded as the most important in his life? Mark doesn’t understand himself at the moment.


 

    His confusion grew more as his eyes met with Jinyoung’s.


 

    They held their stares on each other.


 

    Jinyoung was a strong person. Probably the strongest person Mark ever encountered. Because within those eyes, Jinyoung never begged for salvation. In Jinyoung’s eyes rested the warmth and fire that contradicted Chairman Park’s coldness and Park Jinyoung’s oblivion. Even with his mouth pooled with deep crimson, his eyes remained sparkling like thousands of stars laying against the night sky. His eyes wasn’t begging for Mark to save him. His eyes wasn’t giving in to the pain and suffering he’s going through. His eyes were challenging the man whose feelings were far too overwhelming for him.


 

    Leaving his hiding spot in a heartbeat, Mark charged in and grabbed the nearest man. Quick to slam the man down to the ground, the agent didn’t waste time and grind his foot in the man’s throat. The others stopped what they were doing and slightly panicked. Taking advantage of their off-guard stage, Mark swung his leg and kicked right into another’s face. Two of them immediately pulled Jinyoung up from the ground and dragged him out of the room. The standing four launched themselves at Mark in a suicide attack. Mark slouched down to retrieve his pocket knife, but it wasn’t there. He rolled his eyes as the memory of him giving his favorite knife to Jinyoung, because the young master had taken a liking to it and basically forced it to be given, came reeling freshly in his head. Great. Change of plans, Mark resorted to his combat skills.


 

    In seconds, the agent took down two men by just pulling some punches. The other two looked alarmed but still mustered their own courages. They swiped out switchblades, twirling the weapon expertly to threaten the weaponless agent. Failed. Because the person who’s an expert on knives was Mark. The agent smirked, ducked down and ran straight towards the men. He dodged the first couple swings of the switchblades easily. With a quick grab of the wrist, Mark successfully disarmed one of them. Using the switchblade, Mark jabbed the blade down to the man’s thigh, probably tore some muscles, couple of tissues, and struck right on a bone. The injury caused the man to fall to his knees, bleeding like an opened pig. Mark kicked him to lie down on the ground.


 

    Turning right back to the other one, Mark didn’t hesitate to swing the bloodied blade and sliced a piece of skin off the face of the man. He backed away a couple of steps, holding up the blade near his ear. Skipping the countdown in his head, Mark threw the blade. The switchblade took a gracious spin in the air as it plunged towards its target. With the blade landed right in the meet of his eyebrows, the man didn’t even have time for a scream and just knocked backwards onto the ground in cold blood.


 

    Mark moved quickly on his feet to catch up to the other two. He caught them by the stairs heading down. They saw Mark and panicked more. Dropping their victim without a second thought, the two make a run for it. Mark quickly took out his gun and cocked it, pulling the trigger two times. Each time, a bullet hit squarely in each man’s hips. No one was getting away for humiliating Jinyoung like this.


 

    After checking that the men were down and bleeding out uncontrollably, Mark hurried back by Jinyoung’s side. “Come on,” he said, helping the young master to his feet.


 

    Jingyoung coughed out a mouth of blood. He wobbled for a bit before realizing how much Mark was holding him. The young master pushed at the agent’s chest to separate them. “I’m fine. I just coughed up all the drug. I can-"


 

    “Hey!” If Mark wasn’t there to catch Jinyoung, the young master would have fallen down the stairs. “Yeah, fine my . Let me-"


 

    “No, let me go. I can walk by myself-"


 

    The young master’s words were cut off as the agent picked him up. On reflex and fear of falling, Jinyoung’s arms immediately wrapped around Mark’s neck. His eyes widened at the ground beneath him. He looked up and met eyes with the person he’s supposed to hate.


 

    “You can’t. Stop struggling.”


 

    “What are you doing?! Let me down this instant!”


 

    “You sure?”


 

    “Yes-"

 

        

    The agent rolled his eyes and loosened his hold a little, earning a shout from the young master. Mark bit back a smirk and tightened his hold again. “Thought you wanted to be let down?”


 

    “Not when you’re walking down the stairs! Are you crazy! I could have died!”


 

    “I mean you always wanted to anyways, so count it as me helping you achieve that goal.”


 

    “Tuan!” Jinyoung put up a fight, hitting Mark’s chest repeatedly with his fists and kicking wildly. “I hate you! Put me down!”


 

    Mark took it as a challenge. “You were badly beaten up by eight people, yet you’re still putting up a fight? Look at you. God, what were you trying to protect? Your face is the money-maker!” His words might sound sarcastic and a bit cold, but his heart clenched at the sight of those fresh bruises and cuts on Jinyoung’s face. Still beautiful regardless. But it just…


 

    “Doesn’t matter. There’s makeup for that,” Jinyoung said softly, finally feeling his body falling into the depths of exhaustion. In the midst of his drowsiness, Jinyoung couldn’t really control his actions. His head just laid on Mark’s shoulder. And his face half-buried against Mark’s neck. If he wasn’t this beaten up or drugged up, he would totally make a huge scene. Because someone like him can’t be seen being carried like a princess like this. “I’m going to get for this. Jaehwan’s not going to let me live this down.”


 

    “It’s not that. He’ll understands that you need to be carried,” Mark said, smiling a little. “You’ll be fine. No one dares to make fun of you anyways.”


 

    “You mean they don’t make fun of me in front of my face.”


 

    “At least you won’t know what they say.”


 

    “But-"


 

    “Can’t I just carry you and not have you making all these excuses?”


 

    “…”


 

    Sighing, the agent took the last step of the stairs. “See, all you had to do was be quiet and let me do my job.”


 

    Jinyoung hated the musty outside smell the moment they were out of the building. He lifted his head a little and saw Jaehwan come running towards him with a worried expression. “Job? So I’m just a job to you?”


 

    Mark didn’t say anything. But the halt in his steps had answered Jinyoung’s question.


 

    The young master laughed, sounding a bit strained, “I told you we have a lot to talk about, but you never wanted to talk.”


 

    Again, silence was Mark’s response.


 

    “Put me down,” Jinyoung pulled away and unwrapped his arms from Mark’s neck, “Jaehwan’s here. He can take care of me.”


 

    Unlike other times, Mark obeyed.


 

    And Jinyoung felt an unexplained pang in his heart.





 

+

+

+





 

    Hissing by himself on the couch, the young master tried to ignore the pain. But every time the cotton barely kissed the cut on his upper lip, Jinyoung thought he saw Death. Throwing the cotton down, he pouted. After sitting there for another minute contemplating about his ty life, Jinyoung picked up a new cotton and poured a tiny amount of alcohol on it. He tried dabbing the cotton lightly on the wound. It stung so bad for some good seconds, causing him to cry out a little. This really wasn’t going to work. Jinyoung looked down at his ed shirt and cringed at the bruises and slight cuts near his ribs and stomach. He could already tell how long tonight will be.


 

    The young master sighed, putting down the bloodied cotton and grabbing another one. He tried doing the same thing, but who knew it hurts more on the stomach rather than the lips. Giving up, Jinyoung laid back against the couch and cursed his awful fate. He closed his eyes, wishing to fall right to sleep and wake up the next morning with all his injuries miraculously healed.

 

    

    If only-


 

    “Should have gone to the hospital like Jaehwan begged you to do so.”


 

    Jinyoung snapped awake and sat up, hissing in pain from the sudden body movement. The last person he wanted to see stood in front of his eyes. “What… What are you doing here?”


 

    Mark quirked an eyebrow, “coming home?”


 

    “I thought you went to…”


 

    “To?”


 

    “I don’t know. Do your business or some .”


 

    “Already did,” the agent rounded the couch and took a seat next to the young master, who scooted over to the edge of the couch out of instinct. Mark watched boringly as Jinyoung tried to button up his shirt frantically. “Why try to do it yourself when you don’t even know how? But then again, what do you know how to do?”


 

    Clearing his throat, Jinyoung held his head high, “I’m too busy to be focusing on these useless things.”


 

    Mark reached out and grabbed Jinyoung’s arm. He pulled Jinyoung close with one quick forceful move. Jinyoung gasped, eyes widened in alert. Mark ignored and picked up a cotton, “it’s not useless.”


 

    “Hands off! What are you trying to do?” Jinyoung tried to break away but only to be held even tighter. “Don’t touch me!”


 

    “Can you calm the down? I’m not doing anything. Stop acting childish.”


 

    “You’re here at this late hour while none of my bodyguards are around. I’m not dumb! What are you trying to do?!”


 

    “Are you ing serious?” Mark stared at Jinyoung in disbelief. “If you don’t settle down right now, then MAYBE I’ll go ahead and do what you think I’m here to do.”


 

    That immediately got the young master to sit still. He wasn’t go to risk anything…

 

    

    But Jinyoung's red face got Mark shaking his head and rolling his eyes.


 

    The agent gently grabbed the young master’s face and smashed the cotton onto the cut on the young master’s lip. The hard press made Jinyoung almost screamed out in pain. But Mark shushed him and continued treating the cut. By the end of that, Jinyoung wanted to die. Mark threw down the cotton and wetted another one with alcohol. He stared at Jinyoung.


 

    “Wha-what?” Jinyoung asked, getting a bit fidgety under Mark’s gaze.


 

    “Your shirt,” Mark stated matter-of-factly.


 

    Jinyoung looked down at his shirt and looked back up at Mark. “Um, I… I can do this on my own-"


 

    “If you could, you would have done it a long time ago instead of sitting here agonizing over these small cuts and bruises.”


 

    “But-"

 

    

    “You don’t have to take it all off, jeez. Just or lift it up. Do you want to get infected or not?”


 

    Hesitating for a bit, Jinyoung reluctantly started to ed his shirt very slowly as if a deer being cautious in front of a tiger. Mark sighed heavily and looked away. But soon the task took a bit too long. So the agent decided to take matters in his own godly hands. He reached over and helped-


 

    “HEY! What are you doing?!” The young master smacked the agent’s hands.


 

    “Look here, sir, it’s late. And I’m sleepy as . Stop wasting my goddamn time and-"


 

    “I don’t ing care! I don’t want to be seen!”


 

    Mark rolled his eyes and muttered under his breath, “it’s not like there’s anything I haven’t seen.”


 

    Apparently, Jinyoung’s sharp ears picked that up right away. His face burned bright red when he screamed, “what the did you say?!”


 

    “Doesn’t matter,” Mark shrugged, “hurry up.”


 

    “You!”


 

    “We’ll fight later. Hurry. Up.”


 

    Angry and embarrassed, Jinyoung finished ed and huffed annoyingly. He turned his face away and bit down at his bottom lip. Never in his life had he felt so exposed. Well, there’s that one uneventful time when Mark barged into him all in the bathroom…


 

    There wasn’t a single reaction from the agent, who just went and started treating the cuts on the young master’s stomach. Wincing a bit, Jinyoung tried to hold in his little hisses, but the pain was so unbearable to the point Mark had to stop every now and then for break time. After all the cuts were cleaned properly and bandaged up nicely, Jinyoung finally felt a little bit better.


 

    “I’ll boil some eggs tomorrow,” Mark said, gathering up all the dirty cottons and throwing them in an empty bag, “so you can roll them over those bruises.”


 

    Watching Mark cleaning up somehow made Jinyoung felt at ease. It’s like there’s this homey feeling just ready to suffocate him. Why is Mark so warm? Why is he so drawn to this warmth? Why? So many unanswered questions that Jinyoung had to find answers to. Everything’s so new and different. It scared him a little. But looking at Mark’s calm demeanor and peaceful complexion, all the fears just disappeared.


 

    “Hey,” Jinyoung called quietly, “do you think I’m a bad person?”


 

    Mark stopped what he was doing for a second before scoffing, “is that even a question?”


 

    Jinyoung smiled bitterly, looking down at his lap with sad eyes, “I knew it. Someone like me can’t be good, right? I’ve done too much…”


 

    Sighing, Mark swept up all the trash and tied up the trash bag. He placed it at the foot of the table. “But those things you’ve done, you had no choice, right? So how does that makes you a bad person if you’re being forced to do bad things?”


 

    “I’m just bad in general.”


 

    “Maybe.”


 

    “Everyone hates me. That saids a lot.”


 

    “Not everyone,” Mark offered a little smile to comfort, “just the people who don’t really know you.”  


 

    “Right,” Jinyoung laughed wryly, “besides Youngjae, I don’t think anyone does.”

 

    

    “I do.”


 

    For a second there, Jinyoung could feel the burden being lifted off his heart. Just those two words. As if he’s been wanting to hear just those two words coming out the mouth of a particular person this whole entire time. As if his heart has been waiting and waiting for it. “No, you don’t,” Jinyoung said, shaking his head softly.


 

    Mark shrugged, “not as much as whoever ‘Youngjae’ is, but a decent amount to know that you’re not a bad person.”


 

    “Whatever.”


 

    “Okay then.”


 

    They sat in silence for a while. There was no tension hanging in the air this time. That’s a first.     

 

    “You think I could settle soon?” Jinyoung spoke up after finding himself itching to talk to Mark.


 

    “Aren’t you already?” Mark chuckled, “your marriage announcement?”


 

    Jinyoung rolled his eyes, “that’s bull and you know it. I was just trying to…”


 

    “Trying to?”


 

    “I don’t have to explain myself to you.”


 

    “Wasn’t asking you to.”


 

    Another silence. But of course, the tension returned.


 

    “You will,” Mark answered after giving up trying to stand the thickness of this tension.


 

    “When?”


 

    “How am I supposed to know?”


 

    “What if I never? I mean why would anyone wants to marry me?”


 

    “Okay, but why wouldn’t anyone?”


 

    The young master laid back on the couch slowly with a broken smile, “I’m dangerous. Nobody would want to live with someone like me for the rest of their lives. That’ll be horrible. I’ll feel so bad. I’d rather kill myself.”


 

    “Don’t say that,” the agent turned to look at the young master seriously. “Someday, I don’t know when, but you’re going to settle with someone who would love you for who you are. And you’ll be happy. Life isn’t always about guns and blood. Maybe when you finally found that someone, you’ll change for the better. Because wouldn’t you want to protect the one you love?”


 

    Jinyoung looked back at Mark. “What is love anyways? Sounds overrated.”


 

    “I don’t know,” Mark tore his gaze and stood up, feeling himself overwhelmed by the softness in Jinyoung’s voice. He stood up from the couch with a sigh, “go to sleep. It’s late.”


 

    “Okay,” Jinyoung said as he watched Mark’s back disappeared into the kitchen. They’re back to square one with Mark refusing to talk about whatever problems they have with each other. All Jinyoung wanted was a talk. Then maybe from that talk, he’ll finally figures out the answers to all his damned questions.


 

    But the night ended with the two of them going separate ways.