r e v u l s i o n

OPERATION: HATE (PREQUEL)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    A sign left his lips as he watched the ending credits rolled by. This wasn’t how Jinyoung expected his morning to be like. What was he supposed to do now? Another sigh escaped, Jinyoung threw his head back against the couch. He wanted more. 

 

 

    “Um… What are you doing?” 

 

 

    “You really need to stop sneaking up on me like this, Mark.” 

 

 

    “Are you actually upset that your little gay show is over?” 

 

 

    Jinyoung spun around and glared at his bodyguard, “shut up.” 

 

 

    “Which one? The one that I suggested it’ll be more suitable for your age, or the one that you seemed to enjoy watching more, which makes you a creep because it’s literally about a group of underage boys…” Mark raised his eyebrow, questioning the morales of Jinyoung but of course, at this point, what even are morals to this horrendous monster. 

 

 

    The young master just stared at his worst enemy for a long time. “Get the out of my face, Tuan.

 

 

    Pursing his lips, Mark nodded, “fair enough. Get your spoiled up. Breakfast’s ready.” 

 

 

    Rolling his eyes, Jinyoung followed Mark into the dining room. He could verbally abuse that son-of-a- some other time today. Right now, the most important thing is to fill his stomach. “So, you’re taking up that one-million offer?” Jinyoung asked, taking a seat in front of the plate of a pretty omelette. 

 

 

    “Might as well,” Mark shrugged, sitting down across from the Chairman. 

 

 

    They ate in silence. The air was thick around them. Always has been. Jinyoung didn’t want anything to do with Mark. And Mark didn’t want anything to do with Jinyoung. Especially after what had happened late last night. It wasn’t Jinyoung’s intention to do that… What the Hell was he thinking? Mark should be the last person he’d cares about. But everything was happening too fast. Far too fast for Jinyoung to grasp the situation. He was just staring, and the next minute, he found himself counting the moles on Mark’s face. The tiny gap between their faces left him breathless. 

 

 

    Shaking off the embarrassing memories, Jinyoung’s cheeks burned up as he quickly cleared his throat and awkwardly sliced into the omelette. Mark looked up from his plate and raised an eyebrow. After a few seconds of receiving no words from the young master, Mark shrugged and continued with his breakfast quietly. Again, they appreciated the silence, but it wasn’t a comfortable, peaceful silence. It was more of the calm before a storm. Not a surprise anymore. There’s always a storm with Park Jinyoung. 

 

 

    If there’s one thing Mark had picked up personally about the spoiled young master, it’ll be that the little brat was only nice in the morning, when he’s in his comfort zone without having to act tough to do his job. Because there weren’t any job for him at home. So Jinyoung would let go a little, live a little, brighten up a little, become a little nicer. Of course, he’s still on high alert in case of a sudden attack, but he’s more relaxed than ever when he’s walking around his house, or sipping on wine near his pool, or watching some stupid gay romances, or laying on the couch reading one of his many books, or some other non-work related s that he usually does. Mark scoffed softly and shook his head in disbelief at himself for paying too much attention to someone he’d sworn to hate. 

 

    

    But that doesn’t necessary change the fact that Park Jinyoung is Park Jinyoung when he’s away from the world’s eyes. 

 

 

    And for some reason, that made Mark smiled, because at least it proved that this Beast was not all that bad. Just needs a little taming. Somewhere deep within, Mark hoped that one day, Jinyoung would meet someone who could handle him, who could tame him without fail. Because Park Jinyoung wasn’t a bad person. He wasn’t at all. 

 

 

    “Thank you,” Mark said.

 

 

    “For…?” 

 

 

    “The blanket,” the agent offered a genuine, gentle smile, something he doesn’t give often, especially to someone he hates, “thank you.” 

 

 

    Jinyoung froze for a second a two with his mouth slightly hanging, probably trying to formulate some kind of insult or lame excuse for his “stupid” action, but nothing was running through his genius of a mind. Except his face flamed up in a very, very, very obvious way. “T-that’s-That’s…” He swallowed and exhaled softly, “you’re welcome, I guess...” 

 

 

    For a moment, just for a moment, Mark felt his heart squeezed and head drawn blank.

 

 

    For a moment, just for a moment, Jinyoung looked so vulnerable, so child-like, so human. 

 

 

    For a moment, just for a moment, Mark didn’t hated the young master as much.

 

 

    Jinyoung pursed his lips, cheeks still evident of pink tints, as he glared childishly at his bodyguard, “why are you laughing?” 

 

 

    Why? Mark didn’t even know. He didn’t even know when his lips started to curve up to a smile and a laugh erupted from his throat. He just shook his head and waved Jinyoung off, muttering something about the company needing their Chairman. 

 

    

    Heading upstairs with a little pout, Jinyoung felt weird. That was probably the first time he’d seen Mark like that. So carefree. So relaxed. So comfortable. As if they’d never hated each other in the first place. And somehow, it made Jinyoung’s heart heavy. Because he knew they can never be comfortable around each other. They always have to be on their guard. They have to. 

 

 

    Because Mark is on a mission to kill Jinyoung. 

 

 

    And because Jinyoung holds Mark’s entire life in his hand. 

 

 

 

 

 

+

+

+

 

 

 

 

 

    The last thing Chairman Park needs right now is some bull news of some bastard ratting his business to those nosy, good-for-nothing N.P.O pigs. The start of this morning already wasn’t looking too peachy. 

 

 

    “Explain, Jaehwan,” Jinyoung clenched his jaw, holding back his anger as his eyes pierced through the Head Bodyguard in front of him. “Explain to me how those tards took down one of my most active cartel! I had you in on this!” 

 

 

    Jaehwan shut his eyes, hands shaking as he broke out in cold sweats, trying desperately to regain his composure. “S-sir, I-We didn’t-didn’t know about it-“

 

 

    Throwing a pen at Jaehwan, Jinyoung roared, “of course not! If you’ve known, this wouldn’t have happened!” 

 

 

    “Sir-“

 

 

    “You ing idiot! That entire container needed to be transferred today to an important buyer! Yet, you let this happened! Kim Jaehwan, I trusted you to do this, because I know you’ll do well. .” 

 

 

    “Young Master, I’m-“

 

 

    The Chairman pounded his fist on the desk, rage poured out the corner of his eyes, “my cartel has never been attacked like this before. At least tell me you’ve caught that son-of-a- who betrayed me.”

 

 

    “Y-yes, sir,” Jaehwan exhaled slowly, hoping his young master’s wrath has calm a little, “I’ve set my men out, and they reported back that the traitor has been caught. We’re waiting for your judgement, sir.” 

 

 

    A little smirk played on the Chairman’s lips as he turned, staring out of the glass wall of his office at the island down below. “Jaehwan, you go handle the buyer. Make sure to apologize to her, and tell her that I’ll definitely make it up to her. And I’ll go get rid of this waste-of-precious-oxygen piece of .” 

 

 

    “Yes, sir.” 

 

 

    Turning to his bodyguard with a smile that didn’t quite reached his face, Jinyoung grabbed his coat, “you’re coming with me, Mark.” 

 

 

    Mark nodded and continued looking forward, even though there’s this awful feeling sitting in his stomach. He’s in no position to complain. He belongs to Park Jinyoung after all. At least during these three long months. Therefore, Mark has no choice but to listen, to follow orders. Even if the orders, and demands, go against his morals entirely. 

 

 

 

 

 

+

+

+

 

 

 

 

 

    Blood.

 

 

    The intoxicating smell of blood filled the room, damping the place with filth. Jinyoung walked down the stairs with light step, a little vicious smile perched on his lips. Mark followed close behind. The basement appeared to be more spacious than its usual size for a house. But this wasn’t a house. It’s one of Chairman Park’s many properties. Of course the size of a mere basement would exceeds of the basic. As soon as the guards noticed their master, they immediately straightened the backs and bowed respectfully, feeding more onto Jinyoung’s ego. 

 

 

    “Sir,” one of the guards approached, arm stretched out to politely stop the Chairman, “you didn’t have to come, sir. We've got this under control. There’s no need for you to dirty your hands.” 

 

 

    With a resonated smack, the guard’s head turned sideways, cheek burning up from the slap. All the other guards quickly got on their knees. Mark held his breath, witnessing such a sight in front of him. It was like the royal attendees falling on their knees when the King showed signs of anger. Exactly like it. 

 

 

    Jinyoung clenched his jaw and balled his hand that’s tingling from the harsh skin contact. “I can do whatever the I want. It’s you tards that can’t do your jobs right. This wouldn’t have happened.” 

 

 

    At the Chairman’s furious tone, the guard lowered his head in shame, unable to utter a single excuse. He wasn’t stupid. It’s known to not talk back to the Chairman when he’s angry. Jinyoung rolled his eyes and pushed the guard out of his way. He stopped in front of an unconscious man tied to a chair. Glancing over to the table nearby, Jinyoung spotted a tin cup of water. In a swoosh, the cold water emptied from the cup and splattered over the man’s face. The man jolted awake from the coldness. His head lolled and eyes rolling tiredly from their sockets. He slowly looked up, locked his eyes with the Beast in front of him. A shiver ran down his spine. 

 

 

    “Comfortable?” The Chairman offered a little smile. 

 

 

    The man shook his head slowly. His entire body ached from the beating earlier. “Y-you…” 

 

 

    “What?” Shrugging off his suit jacket, the Chairman kept his hard gaze on the traitor. “Want to beg for forgiveness?” He scoffed and laughed, rolling up his sleeves up to his elbows. “How dare you?!” 

 

 

    A punch was delivered right into the man’s face. Immediately, blood poured from his nose, running down, painting his dried lips a scarlet red. A groan left his throat. He was exhausted. He could felt his own soul slipping from his grip. The man shook his head. 

 

 

    “Who sent you?” The Chairman growled, anger clouded his mind. With a glance at the traitor, Jinyoung walked over to one of his guard. He reached out his hand. The guard picked up the silent command and obediently reached into the inside of his suit jacket to pull out a pocketknife, presenting it with both hands to his Boss. 

 

 

    Shaking his head gently to avoid adding more pressures to his physical pain, the man’s lips sealed shut. Jinyoung glared, blood boiled up to his brain as his grip on the pocketknife tightened. He hated to do this. 

 

 

    “Loyal, huh,” Jinyoung’s lips lifted up to a sinister smile, approaching the frightened traitor with the pocketknife flipped open, showing the mighty glare of its blade against the light of the basement. The Chairman didn’t stop the ugly smirk from decorating his beautiful face. “You know, I admire loyal dogs like you a lot. So, let me give you a gift.” 

 

 

    The man’s eyes widened as he watched the Chairman lifted up his battered shirt, revealing his bruised stomach. His eyes drew shut, yet, his lips were still stuck together like glue, refusing to lose control of his loyalty. The room suddenly dropped in degrees. Everything felt so dreadful, so cold, so drenched in the gloom of darkness. 

 

 

    “I don’t really give presents,” the Chairman said, titling his head to the side, “so appreciate when I do.” 

 

 

    Despite desperately wanting to squirm away from the sharp point of the knife, the man was tied down by wet ropes that tightened as it dries, making it unbelievably difficult for him to even move a muscle. But his eyes bulged and lips quivered as the blade grazed over his skin. The coldness of the metal sent him over the edge. He held his breath. He waited. He waited for the blade to pierce through his skin. He waited for Death to relief him from this torture. He kept waiting, but it never came. 

 

 

    An obnoxious laugh filled the empty basement. The Chairman kept his hand steady, controlling the movement of the blade. The devilish smirk never left his face. He seemed relaxed, unfazed as he continued dragging the knife slowly across the traitor’s stomach. The teasing went on for a while, as if an answer was expected from the mouth of that bloodied traitor. As if something was holding the Chairman back. As if Jinyoung didn’t want to be doing this at all. As if there’s no choice for himself to choose. 

 

 

    “I’ll make an exception for you,” Jinyoung pursed his lips, “if you’re willing to talk, then I’ll let you free, okay?”

 

 

    “…”

 

 

    “Just talk.

 

 

    “… N-no-no!” The man spat, forcing every ounce of energy he had left to raised his head up high.

 

 

    The Chairman rolled his eyes. And without a second of hesitation, he sunk the tip of the knife through the traitor’s burning skin. At first, it was a battle of determination. It was impressive at how much pain the man could endured. Though, the tearing of flesh grew more unbearable. The Chairman’s intention didn’t wavered even at the whimpers and weak screams elicited from those bloodied lips of his victim. Instead, each reaction fueled the bloodthirst more. The knife sunk deeper and deeper with each cut. Blood oozing out of the openings like waterfalls. The iron smell overwhelmed the place in cruelty. But none of that stopped Jinyoung. He kept moving forwards. 

 

 

    After what felt like an eternity to the traitor, his captor finally lifted the blade from his skin. He exhaled heavily, trying his best to distract himself from the soaring pain. There’s no denying the humiliation and self-disappointment creeping up his throat to swallow him whole. For a few seconds, he had his eyes closed. The tape of his memories began rolling. It’s such a loss that everything had to turn out this way. 

 

 

    Jinyoung sighed, leaning back to admire his work, “all you had to do was talk.” He shook his head, staring at the pocketknife that’s now covered in fresh blood. Then he darted his attention back to the man’s stomach. The horrific sight created a bubbling, tightening, unpleasing feeling within his chest. Etching on the man’s skin was a well-deserving “loyalty” written in the cuts made by the knife and colored in a deep, deep, deep red. Part of him felt disgusted, while another part felt unexplainably satisfied. And then there’s the part that all of this just terrifies him. 

 

 

    “N-never… You-you de-deserved it…” 

 

 

    “I what?

 

 

    “You-you deserved it!” 

 

 

    It was predicted. The man saw the slap coming. Everyone in the room did. Now his left cheek stung a bright red with the fingers of the Chairman imprinted. When his face lolled back into a forward position again, another slap delivered cleanly upon his right cheek. Over and over again. Each time when those hands came in contact with the skin left on his face, his world felt like it had already fell apart. 

 

 

    “Right, I deserved it,” Jinyoung finally stopped raising his hands, “but traitors also deserved this. No one could turn their backs on me and get away with it. No one.” He picked up the knife and with one smooth motion, jabbed it into the man’s left eye, earning himself a shrilling scream. Jinyoung stared the traitor down, eyes glowing with an intensity that could reach the sky in a heartbeat. All the power in this world belongs to him. Clenching his jaw, Jinyoung held his head high and released his hold on the knife. His hand stained with human’s blood. 

 

 

    One of the guard spoke up after a long while of silence of nothing but the withering and screaming from the poor man. “Sir, we could take it over from here. No need for you to-"

 

 

    “Kill him,” the Chairman sighed, taking out a handkerchief from his pants' pocket to wipe the blood off his hand. “Take out his other eye before you do, though. Then burn down this house and hang his body on that big tree in the front. Oh, make sure ‘they' could see his stomach. It’s my gift for them. I worked hard on it.” 

 

 

    “Yes, sir!” 

 

 

    Jinyoung nodded and casually walked towards the stairs. Behind him, the guards began carrying out their commands. A ripping feeling churned inside his guts, as he drowned out the forced insults and broken screams. He didn’t mean for this all to happen. But what’s needed to be done has to be done. 

 

 

 

 

 

+

+

+

 

 

 

 

 

    Being an extreme-trained, long-time agent, there was nothing that could with Mark’s mind as much as whatever Jinyoung had just did. It wasn’t because of the torture. It wasn’t because of all that blood. Mark wasn’t fazed by that. He’d seen worse. But it was because that look in Jinyoung’s eyes. 

 

 

    Mark couldn’t believe what was in front of him. 

 

 

    Each second, a switch was flipped. 

 

 

    Switched between the brutal Chairman Park and the disgusted Park Jinyoung. 

 

 

    And it ed with Mark a lot. 

 

 

    What was real and what was fake?

 

 

    Mark wasn’t so sure anymore. 

 

 

    That scared him more than anything. 

 

 

    How could one person managed all those burdens. All those weights. All those pains. Jinyoung didn’t wanted to do it, Mark knew. The young master was already uncomfortable with it all, but because he’s not a normal person. But because he has the whole world sitting on his shoulders. But because he’s the Chairman Park. 

 

 

    Mark felt bad. 

 

 

    But now wasn’t the time. 

 

 

    He can’t be feeling bad for a ing criminal. 

 

 

    Mark is a person of righteous and morals. A person who’s capable of being vicious, but at the same time, still possesses a mind that could think for himself and a heart that beats. Park Jinyoung is everything Mark doesn’t want to get meddled with. The more powerful they are, the more dangerous. 

 

 

    But Mark couldn’t help it. 

 

 

    He also couldn’t help what’s going on with himself either. 

 

 

    He tried so hard to suppress it. 

 

 

    But he couldn’t help it. 

 

 

    And he’s afraid. 

 

 

    Afraid if this continues, something would bound to happen. 

 

    

    It won’t be some sunshines and rainbows.

 

    

    Because they’re not meant for each other.  

 

 

    “You didn’t have to do that,” Mark said, eyes staring at those invisible weights on Jinyoung’s shoulders. 

 

 

    The young master stopped in front of a small metallic cage hung aimlessly off the tree at the front of the house, inside rested a little dove. He stared at the bird peacefully perching on top of the dry branch that poked in through the cage. “What do you know…” 

 

 

    “I don’t.” 

 

 

    “Then shut the up.” 

 

 

    The agent scoffed, “what are you trying to prove? That you’re 'the Almighty' and nobody could touch you?” 

 

 

    “I said shut up.” 

 

 

    “You’re not a God. You’re just this insecure little brat who can’t function correctly without that ‘ Chairman' title you depended so much on.”

 

 

    Jinyoung didn’t replied to that. He unlatched the door of the cage and reached in to gently held the dove in his palms. His touch had the bird melted affectionately in his hands. Jinyoung took the bird out of its cage and pet it with care. The cold winds whispered against his ears, turning the tip of them a pretty pink. It was the weather of a typical winter day in Jeju, yet Jinyoung didn’t feel cold. Standing there in his thin white button-up and a small dove sleeping in his hands, Jinyoung didn’t feel cold. Why would he be when he’s nothing but a bag of bones and meat without a functioning heart? Why would he be when he’s Winter itself? Why would he be when he’s Death itself? 

 

 

    Softly running his thumb over the soft, pure white feathers of the innocent bird, Jinyoung’s eyes became a bottomless abyss. His mind held no significant thoughts. His lips unmoved, but curses were escaping from them and danced together with the winds. His heart bled from the hole it breed. His body numbed to it all. His fingers smoothed over the dove’s fragile neck. 

 

 

    “I told you…” With a quick snap, the dove went limp in Jinyoung’s hands. The bird’s head jerked back. The bones of its neck crushed from the sudden pressure. A little tear under its soft feathers produced red streams of its sacrificial blood dripping down, painting its beautiful white feathers with the angry cried of crimson. Jinyoung smiled a little, a broken smile, as he traced the dove’s lifeless form with his finger, feeling the soft comfort for the last time. “… To shut up, Mark.” 

 

 

    The young master released the bloodied creature from his hold, letting it fell to the ground without much care. Jinyoung looked down at his hands and sighed, realized that he’ll have to clean them again. Shaking his head tiredly, Jinyoung stepped over the bird’s dead body and walked towards the car that’s parked on the house’s driveway. 

 

 

    Mark’s blood ran cold.