d i s l i k e

OPERATION: HATE (PREQUEL)

 

 

 

 

 

###

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hello~ Just a little annoucement regarding the update schedule of this fic. There's about 11 or so more chapters to this, and so I decided to update twice a week. New chapter every Tuesdays and Saturdays until it is finally over. 

That's all~

I'm sorry this chapter is shorter than how it would normally be... 

But do enjoy and leave feedbacks~ 

See y'all precious cuties soon~

###

 

 

 

 

 

    “Come here, boys!” Jaehwan whistled, waving a huge piece of raw meat to attract the excited Dobermans. “BREAKFAST!” The Head Bodyguard cheered enthusiastically as he threw a whole bucket of raw meat towards those vicious canines. He watched them gobbled up the food with a proud smile. Jaehwan spent so much time and effort in training these beasts, so of course he’d be smiling like a proud dad when he sees his children eating so well. 

 

 

    Some guards brought in two more buckets of meat. The dogs immediately ran over and aggressively fought over the food. The guards were almost severely injured trying to calm the beasts. Jaehwan sighed and whistled once. All the dogs stopped and settled themselves in sitting position with their tongues hanging from their snappy mouths and eyes concentrated on their master. Shaking his head, Jaehwan turned to the guards, “thank you. You all can leave now. Next time, don’t be stupid. Can’t you see they’re hungry?” 

 

 

    “Sor-sorry, sir!” The guards quickly apologized in unison. 

 

 

    “Well, their bites on infectious, so just go wrap it up.”

 

 

    “Yes, sir!” 

 

 

    Jaehwan waved the men off. Another whistle and the dogs went back to biting at each other. Jaehwan just watched amusingly at his kids play-fighting. Occasionally, he would step in if the situation escalated dramatically. It’ll to deal with another dead Doberman just because the others were ganging up on him. And then Jaehwan would have to adopt another one and train him all over again. Which would then irritate the Chairman. Because these beasts were trained to eat people. Starting over meant adopting the dog from when he's still a puppy. That’ll would just slow down the entire team of killing machines. The Chairman hates to wait. 

 

 

    Petting his kids with a wide grin, Jaehwan made sure to love all of them equally. All nine of them. Good thing the feelings were mutual. Or the next corpse would be identified as Kim Jaehwan. The dogs whined and demanded attention vigorously. Jaehwan laughed and plopped himself down on the bed of grass. He let them climbed all over him. He’ll just change into another suit later. 

 

 

    The dogs were busy trying to get a touch from their master until their sharp ears and noses picked up a foreign presence. Immediately, the nine of them stopped and detached themselves from their master. They spread out and stood in a line right in front of their master. Jaehwan looked up, wondering why his children were being protective all of a sudden. 

 

 

    Oh. 

 

 

    Right. 

 

    

    How could he forget that his young master and him weren’t the only ones here...

 

 

    “Mark-ssi! Stand still!” Jaehwan yelled in a hurry. 

 

 

    From afar, the agent, who’s been bedridden for the last month and now fully recovered thanks to the very meticulous care of a certain Chairman, didn’t really hear the warning. It’s his first time outside of the damn villa, so he’s still a bit not quite there. The past month had been him forced to be on the bed all the time. The only time Jinyoung would allow him to get out of bed was if it’s for personal hygiene. Otherwise, like Jinyoung said, Mark just need to ask and it’ll be granted. 

 

 

    The agent kept moving forward, feeling the fresh winter air and the smell of the ocean danced by his face. He saw Jaehwan, but he didn’t really notice the ferocious knights in front. 

 

 

    “No! Hey! Don’t come closer!” The Head Bodyguard tried to wave his arms frantically to get Mark’s attention. 

 

 

    “What?” Mark squinted his eyes, still trying to make out the words coming out of Jaehwan’s mouth. “What did you- Oh, !” His body betrayed him and froze right on the spot. He stared in horror as the dogs sprinted off directly towards him. Great. The first step outside and he’s already dead. Being ripped apart by these animals really wasn’t a good way to go. 

 

 

    Mark tried to gain control of his body again but no use. He looked over at Jaehwan, begging the younger to do something. But Jaehwan had no control neither. The dogs believed that their master was in danger and needed assistance from this stranger. And when they all shared the same goal, it just went downhill from there. 

 

 

    Staring at the angry faces of those majestic creatures, Mark somewhat accepted his fate. Maybe this was a sign. A sign that he shouldn’t be lingering here on this island for too long. A sign that he shouldn’t-

 

 

    Whimpers from the nine Dobermans erupted in the air. The Chairman swung his arm again and the whip in his hand struck down harshly upon the dogs. The pack stopped advancing forwards and retreated back with their head on the ground pitifully. Chairman Park glared and threw down the whip. Feared, the dogs all lied down in submission to the true alpha. 

 

 

    Jaehwan straightened his suit jacket and cleared his throat, “sir.” 

 

 

    The Chairman rolled his eyes at his Head Bodyguard. “And I thought you’re old enough to be responsible. Turns out these es still bite.” 

 

 

    “Sorry, sir. They don’t know who Mark-ssi is yet… It’s only natural that they’re aggressive-"

 

 

    “You’re talking back?” 

 

 

    “N-no, sir.” 

 

 

    Chairman Park didn’t spare another glance and his heels. He looked at the still frozen agent and quirked an eyebrow, “see, if your didn’t get out of bed, then this wouldn’t have happened. Who told you that you could leave the damn room? Did I give you permission?” 

 

 

    “You’re not my boss,” Mark finally came to his senses. “I don’t need your approval for every ing thing that I do.” 

 

 

    “Oh, is that so?” Chairman Park’s jaw clenched in annoyance. The day just started and already he’s pissed off. “Maybe I should just release these dogs on you instead of wasting my precious time making sure you could get up and walk by yourself.” 

 

 

    Mark scoffed, “dogs don’t eat each other.” 

 

 

    “…”

 

 

    “…”

 

 

    “You’re testing my patience, huh, Tuan.”

 

 

    “No, sir, how could I? With what honor?” 

 

 

    Mark might feel a bit under the weather since it’s the first time he’s been outside in a month, but he’s so sure he could see the slight shift in the eyes of the man in front of him. From stark cold to flaring warm. Then it hits him. He just figured out something... Probably because of all the meds he’s been taking. Probably because his head’s still swimming. Probably. But in Mark’s delirious mind, a crazy idea struck him like lightning streaking across the dark, night sky. 

 

 

    The idea was so crazy. 

 

 

    But he pulled through anyways. 

 

 

    “Jinyoung,” Mark called, voice extremely careful. 

 

 

    At the name that slipped past the agent’s lips, Jaehwan’s jaw dropped open while his eyes bulged in shock. “There’s no ing way…” The Head Bodyguard whispered to himself. 

 

 

    Expectantly, the Chairman responded to the call with a deadly glare. But nonetheless, Mark had Chairman Park’s full attention. Mark swallowed softly and decided to try again. Maybe the results would be better this time. “Jinyoung,” he called again, this time a lot more firmer. 

 

 

    The Chairman raised an eyebrow, looking very unamused at whatever game Mark was putting him in. “I’m giving you a chance to address me properly again.”

 

 

    All or nothing, right?

 

 

    Go big or go home. 

 

 

    “Jinyoung, I need a suit,” Mark requested bravely, staring head-on into the Chairman’s poisonous eyes. 

 

 

    And…

 

 

    There it was. Mark swore he saw it. Like the first time, but now, it’s more vivid. The flicker between ice and fire in those eyes. Mark blamed the fresh air this fluttering feeling. Because there’s no way he’d admit how breathless he felt at the moment. Breathless from just staring into Jinyoung’s eyes. 

 

 

    Jinyoung didn’t say anything for a second or two. A tint of confusion reflected upon his handsome face. His guard was down. That must explained it. Explained the churning of his stomach. Explained the total control Mark has over him right now. The young master looked away, gathering himself quickly before the red color on the tips of his ears could spread any further all over his entire face. This was a bad idea. Coming out here when he knew it himself that even the Chairman wouldn’t be able to be hard on an injured person was a mistake. A horrible mistake. 

 

 

    “Jaehwan,” the Chairman walked pass the agent with his head held high again and eyes looking forward, “get him a suit.” 

 

 

    “Yes, sir.” 

 

 

    “You,” Chairman Park referred to the agent, “follow me. It’s too damn cold outside. You’re not fully recovered yet.” And he proceed back into his villa without waiting if the agent would be right behind him or not. 

 

 

    “Wow…” Jaehwan exhaled heavily, “that was scary.”

 

 

    “Yeah,” Mark released the breath he’s been holding, “I know.” 

 

 

    “How did you do that? As far as I know, no one dares to call him by his name whenever he’s in his ‘Chairman’ trance.” 

 

 

    Mark shrugged, “I don’t know. I just thought I should try…” The agent lifted his head to stare at the waves crashing mercilessly on the huge boulders that resembled a lot like his own burdens. He started to hate himself more. Why did he do that? What was he trying to accomplish? Shouldn’t he be trying to stop himself from falling too deep? So why wasn’t he doing that?

 

 

    “Well, you should go back in before he comes out and scream at both of us.” 

 

 

    “Yeah, I should,” Mark pursed his lips, answering the questions that’s been mocking him for the past months. The agent laughed. A wry laugh at something so humorless and pitiful. The strings tugged painful on his heart, dragging it on this concrete ground of misery. “I hate Jeju.” 

 

 

 

 

 

+

+

+

 

 

 

 

 

    “How are you enjoying your promotion, Suzy?” The man in the dark asked. 

 

 

    “Fine, sir,” Suzy answered, feeling the guilt biting at the tip of her tongue. 

 

 

    The man smiled, a devilish smile, “you’ve done great. I appreciates your efforts. 

 

 

    “The cost for it…” The female agent bit her own tongue to stop the guilt from poisoning any further. But she failed. Guilt showed no mercy on her. 

 

 

    “You got you’ve wanted, sweetie.” 

 

 

    Suzy wanted to throw up. Got what she wanted? Guilt wasn’t what she wanted. Because of this aching feeling, she could feel the growing distance between her and Youngjae. And that wasn’t what she wanted. Suzy thought everything would work out. Everything would fall into its places. She would have everything she’s been working so hard for all these years. Everything

 

 

    Everything but her sincere feelings for the man who devoted himself to her. 

 

 

    How could she possibly be sincere when she couldn’t even be sincere towards her own conscious? 

 

 

    She did a horrible thing. 

 

 

    She created a mess. 

 

 

    She ruined everything she had. 

 

 

    She should have just be happy with the way things are and not ask for more. 

 

 

    But in the end, greed held her by its chain. 

 

 

    Walking out of the dark room, Suzy felt a pang at her heart. Like someone just dropped a weight right on top of it without caring how much it’ll hurt her. But she deserved it. Deserved all the pain and torture. She ed up. Letting her greed blinded her… Letting herself choose success over love… Letting all these things happened… She deserved this suffocating feeling that’s choking the life out of her. She deserved it. 

 

 

    What she don’t deserve was…

 

 

    Youngjae. 

 

 

    She don’t deserve him. 

 

 

    Suzy covered with her hands while she sobbed quietly. It hurts a million time to realize this truth. All these years and only now she realized. 

 

 

    It hurts even more to realize that she would have to leave him soon. 

 

 

    And she’s calling it mercy. 

 

 

    Mercy on his poor heart for being so blindly in love with someone who would bring nothing but pain to him. 

 

 

    She just wanted Youngjae to be happy. 

 

 

    Being with her won’t guarantee that. 

 

 

    “I’m sorry, Youngjae-ah,” Suzy wiped away her tears, “I won’t do it now, but I will later. I’ll let go first.” 

 

 

 

 

 

+

+

+

 

 

 

 

 

    Laying in the bed, Mark groaned in frustration. “It’s so damn boring!” He complained into the phone. 

 

 

    “Then tell him,” Jaebum’s nonchalant voice replied back. 

 

 

    “I did! He didn’t say anything,” Mark sighed, “just stared at me and told me to get back in bed. Jaebum, I am fine! It’s been a month! . I’m good to get into my uniform and do my job. But no, he keeps locking me up like this. Like what’s the damn point of giving me a suit when he’s not letting me step half a step out of this damn place?! I’m tired.” 

 

 

    “You asked for the damn suit, Tuan. And I thought you said you’re fine? But you’re tired?” 

 

 

    Mark groaned again at his best friend’s successful attempt to annoy him. Jaebum just laughed at Mark’s frustration. And Mark wanted to reach over the phone and choke that jerk to death. “Shut the up. Don’t you get it? I’m trained to be in the field. But now I’m stuck here just because some Chairman told me so.” 

 

 

    “Nobody said you have to listen to him, Mark.” 

 

 

    The agent furrowed his eyebrows in thought. Jaebum’s right. He didn’t have to listen. “I mean my condition is perfect, right? I can take care of myself.”

 

 

    “Um, Mark, I said that, but please, don’t do anything stu-"

 

 

    “All right, good luck on your paperworks, honey. Bye!” 

 

 

    “Mark-"

 

 

    Abruptly hanging up, Mark pulled himself off the bed and ran over to the closet. He pulled out the brand-new suit that he asked for the other day. “Well, hello there, y~” The agent smirked, satisfied with the classic black suit. He couldn’t wait to dress himself up again. It’s been too long. Disappearing into the bathroom, Mark walked out ten minutes later with his hair gelled handsomely and suit snuggling against his body beautifully. The agent fixed his tie with a winning smile. It won’t be so hard to slip past the Chairman’s bodyguards now. 

 

 

    Confidently, Mark opened the door, a wide grin etched on his healthy face. But that grin immediately dropped the moment he realized who was waiting for him. It was the Chairman. 

 

 

    “Where you’re going?” Chairman Park eyed the agent from head to toes. A full check-out. He stepped forward, forcing the agent to step backward. 

 

 

    Mark really thought being bedridden had all his lucks. “No where.” He kept stepping backwards because the Chairman kept moving forwards into his personal bubble. 

 

 

    “Okay. Why dressed up when you’re just going to be in this room?” 

 

 

    “Because I want to? I can’t make myself look good now? Wow. I didn’t know putting on a suit and styling my hair would be a goddamn crime.” 

 

 

    They stopped in their steps. The Chairman looked very displeased. As for Mark, well, he knew not to test anymore of his bad luck. 

 

 

    “Take it off.”

 

 

    “What-"

 

 

    “Get back in bed. Who told you to leave?” 

 

 

    “I don’t have to listen-"

 

 

    “Now.” 

 

    

    Mark scoffed, looking away in irritation, “if you think you could order me around like this, then you’re wrong. I’m better now. And I want to go out.” 

 

 

    “No, you-"

    

 

    “You said I can tell you whatever I want and you’ll make it happen. So make this happen.” 

 

 

    “Anything but you stepping a step out of this place.” 

 

 

    “,” Mark ran his hand through his hair angrily. “Let me leave!” 

 

 

    “No!” 

 

 

    “You know you can’t keep me locked up forever.”

 

 

    The ice in the Chairman’s eyes melted in seconds after Mark said that. Jinyoung tore his gaze from Mark, “I know.” 

 

 

    God, Mark hates this. He hates how soft he gets whenever he sees the warmth in Jinyoung’s eyes. It’s like all his efforts of trying to stay strong just came crumbling down from one mere glance. “If you know, then move. I want to leave.” 

 

 

    Jinyoung sighed, “this is ing ridiculous.”

 

 

    Mark didn’t want to guess what Jinyoung meant by that. “Want to talk about it?” 

 

 

    The young master sneered, gaze settled back on Mark. “You didn’t want to talk to me before… Now you’re trying to open up? No, thank you. Keep it to yourself. You selfish bastard.” 

 

 

    Annoyed and angry, Mark grabbed Jinyoung’s arm without thinking. His grip tightened harshly, earning a small hissed of discomfort from Jinyoung. This wasn’t how things were supposed to turn out. They were supposed to just let everything go. But now they’re standing here with heavy tension hanging above their heads like a curse. 

 

 

    “I’m selfish? Do you even ing know what you’re saying?” 

 

 

    “I-"

 

 

    “Shut up. Let me help you realize how dumb you’re sounding right now. How dare you say that to me? You’re capable of saying those things? Park Jinyoung, a spoiled brat with no heart. I hate you. I ing hate you so much. But the only one who’s selfish here is you.  I’m not trying to open up. Never. I would never open up to someone like you. Why? Because you have no feelings, Park Jinyoung. You and the Chairman alike. You’re indifferent and cold, brutal and cruel, a damn heart breaker. You have all these people at your feet, kissing the ground you walk on, yet all you’ve ever done was to benefit yourself. You’re calling that not selfish?”

 

 

    “Don’t ing put me and that monster on the same-"

 

 

    “Do you know? Do you ing know-"

 

 

    “Know WHAT?!” Jinyoung yelled, eyes burning with rage as he tried to struggle out of Mark’s hold. “Know what, Mark? Know what! Why won’t you ing tell me?! Why-"

 

 

    Mark pulled Jinyoung forwards. The young master fell against the agent’s chest. Jinyoung stopped struggling. His breath hitched at the sudden collision. And for some reason his heart felt like it’ll jump out in any second. 

 

 

    “Because you don’t get it yourself, Jinyoung-ah,” Mark said softly in Jinyoung’s ear. Just for a brief moment, Mark circled Jinyoung’s waist and pulled the younger closer into his embrace. “Because I’m afraid you’ll get hurt.” 

 

 

    Mark knew. 

 

 

    He knew how risky this was. 

 

 

    But even just for a moment, Mark wanted to have it. 

 

 

    To have Jinyoung back in his arms again. 

 

 

    The person to break away was Jinyoung. Avoiding Mark’s gaze, the young master clenched his jaw and balled his fists. Confusion smeared across his red face. His insides churning like the butterflies were fighting over the necture of one lonely flower. Jinyoung was sure it wasn’t the room that he’s feeling hot. Streaks of fire crawled over his skin, setting his entire body up in flames. Soon, he’ll return to nothing but ashes. This was so new. Jinyoung didn’t know what it was. But he’s scared of it. 

 

 

    “Leave,” Jinyoung whispered into the quiet air surrounding them. 

 

 

    Without another word, Mark walked past and left, softly closing the door. He didn’t look back once. Didn’t even hesitate once. 

 

 

    Jinyoung sat himself down on the bed, feeling unnamed emotions pouring down his dry throat. “No heart?” Jinyoung wanted to laugh. “Selfish?” But nothing came out except for the overwhelming feelings b his supposedly cold eyes. “How would you know?” 

 

 

    Never would Jinyoung thought he’ll cry out of being emotionally hurt. 

 

 

    All his tears up to this point were from the endless nightmares he suffered through form time to time.

 

 

    But never had Jinyoung cried because how bad his heart was aching like thousands of knives stabbing at it.

 

 

    Never had he cried because the ice around his heart shattered and made him bled everywhere. 

 

 

    Never had he cried because of someone. 

 

 

    Someone who he’s supposed to not care about. 

 

    

    But he cared so much. 

 

 

    So much that it hurts. 

 

 

    So much that he couldn’t stop crying. 

 

 

    Why? 

 

 

    Why does it hurt? 

 

 

    Why am I crying?

 

 

    Why won’t you tell me? 

 

 

    Why?!