bête noire

OPERATION: HATE (PREQUEL)

 

 

 

 

 

    “Flight 117 has landed. All passengers please follow the instructions of our Captain and exit out accordingly.” 
 
 
    The intercom came on loudly, announcing the landing of the following flight from Washington, D.C., United States to Seoul, South Korea. Passengers from the huge aircraft piled out to the skyway one by one, preparing to walk through the tunnel that’s connecting the plane to its airport. Some people are here on vacation. Some people are here to visit their loved ones. Some people are here on an accident of buying the wrong ticket. Some people are here on business. 
 
 
    An American who, like an ordinary first-class passenger, dressed comfortably, but quite classy, for the long flight. His chestnut-brown hair lies messily, yet stylishly, upon his head as he rakes his long slender fingers through those soft-looking locks. His bagged eyes were covered with dark sunglasses, attempting to hide the sleeplessness and, at the same time, look cool and mysterious. He made his way out to the front of the airport with a huge luggage in his hand and a phone in the other, receiving a call from his Boss.
 
 
    “I’ve landed, sir,” in English, he replied, “yes, I understand… Oh, don’t worry about me adapting. I hope you remember that I’ve spent, like, pre-school, elementary, middle, high, and have a Korean university degree? Yeah, I thought so… Yes, yes, I got it. My mission is still the same, right? All right, send me the files later. Gotta go now. Bye, Boss.” 
 
 
    Hanging up, the American didn’t pocket his phone, but rather, pressing another caller ID of someone familiar. It didn’t take the fourth ring for the person to pick up. 
 
 
    “MARK TUAN!” The other line screamed loudly.
 
 
    “What the hell, Jackson?” Mark grimaced as he moved his phone away from his ear.
 
 
    “You finally called. Like I ing thought the plane crashed and you’re dead somewhere,” Jackson said, “I’ve missed you so much, my brother. Come back, please.” 
 
 
    “I’ve just landed, Jacks,” Mark sighed as he pulled onto his luggage and began walking out to the entrance doors of the airport. “And don’t you have work right now?”
 
 
    “Well, yeah, but you are more important.” 
 
 
    Mark could hear the stupid grin on his friend’s face through the phone. “You’re a Unit Captain of C.I.A. for God’s sake. Get your s together.”
 
 
    “I will but just wanted to know you’ve arrived safely. Though, you right, I got a really important undercover mission to do,” Jackson shared, feeling the urge to drop everything and just take a flight to where Mark is. 
 
 
    “Good luck,” Mark waved to a cab, “you’ll do fine, I know it.” 
 
 
    “Thanks, bro, I love you,” Jackson yelled cheerfully and Mark wanted to rip his own ears out. 
 
 
    “Okay, I’ll leave you to your work. Gotta go now.”
 
 
    “All right! Call me often! Have fun and good luck! Oh, since you’re there, get settle, dude, and stop sleeping and playing around with people’s hearts. You’ll definitely won’t be bored there. I heard they have a lot of hot people.” 
 
 
    Scoffing, Mark got into the cab, waiting for the driver to put his luggage in the trunk of the vehicle, “go do your work, Wang.”
 
 
    “Introduce me when you get a girlfriend or boyfriend! Bye!"
 
 
    The line went dead and Mark rubbed a hand over his face. He took out his sunglasses and rubbed his eyes, feeling so tired and drained. His whole body aches from sitting for too long. Stretching his neck, Mark exhales softly. He looked out the window of the car and thought about how much Seoul has changed since the last time he was there. 
 
 
    The Tuans are Taiwanese-Americans who moved to Seoul for business. That time little Mark was only about two years of age. Thus, he attended school in South Korea. During his first year of high school, his parents decided to move back to the States, but Mark insisted on staying to finish his education. So, the couple left their son in the care of a very close friend of theirs and fly back to America. And Mark continued until he graduated with a Bachelor’s degree at Seoul Nation University, majoring in Law; he was so smart that it only took him two years instead of four. After his college graduation, Mark packed his bags and returned back to his home country. There, he went back to school and graduated with a Master’s in Computer Science and Codings at MIT. And now, already having a very stable career, after so many years, he finally returns back to the country where all his childhood and adulthood memories lay. 
 
 
    “Where are you going, sir?” The cab’s driver asked in broken English. 
 
 
    Putting on his sunglasses, Mark smiled and answered in perfect Korean. “K.N.S.S.’s main headquarters, please, thank you.”
 
 
 
 
 
+
+
+
 
 
 
 
 
    “No, don’t do that,” Park Jinyoung, the newly promoted Vice Captain of Unit G, exited the elevator, looking extremely irritated with someone who's on the other line. “Excuse me, but I appointed you as the representative of my company for a reason. Stop making stupid decisions and do your goddamn job right before I lose my .” 
 
 
    “Chairman, why don’t you come back here and manage this?” The man on the other line sighed heavily. “Why must you go and work for the government when you’re the Chairman of the biggest Group in Korea and the world? You basically owns the government anyways. The economy is in your hands, sir. Come back, please?” 
 
 
    “I’ll come back when you can learn how to manage my company without having me constantly checking up on you to see if you’ve ruined it yet,” Jinyoung scoffed. “I’m busy now, bye.”
 
 
    “Sir, wait! How do I deal with-“
 
 
    Jinyoung abruptly ended the call and stuffed his phone back inside the pocket of his pants. He fixed his tie and smooth out his blazer. Today wasn’t his day. He’s been scolding people all day. First, Kim Yugyeom, the youngest agent, also a newbie, in his team, messed up the coffee orders and now everyone was salty with the lack of their morning beverages. Then, the representative he personally picked for his company’s Board of Directors called over from Park Group’s headquarters in Jeju-do, panicking about a business deal that’s considered to be rubbish to the Chairman. 
 
 
    “I swear today cannot get any worse-“ 
 
 
    “E-excuse me! You can’t come in here without a pass! Hey! Stop-“ A shout of a familiar man caught Jinyoung’s attention. 
 
 
    The Vice Captain hurried over to the entrance of the K.N.S.S. building to detect the disturbance. He saw Lee Seungri, a new security agent, with his arms out, trying to stop someone from coming in. Jinyoung pushed opened the glass doors and stepped out. “What’s going on?” 
 
 
    The stranger looked up once he heard Jinyoung’s voice and his face lit up. “Oh! Look, luggage boy,” he exclaimed in English and threw his bags towards Jinyoung’s direction. 
 
 
    Out of instinct, Jinyoung caught the huge bag but his face was bewildered. Growing up rich and spoiled as a precious young master, Park Jinyoung never held anyone’s bag for them before, much less being called “luggage boy.” The Vice Captain was so shocked to the point he couldn’t say anything but stood there blinking rapidly with his jaw dropped open. The stranger pushed pass Seungri and Jinyoung, casually entering the building.
 
 
    “H-hey!” Jinyoung frantically followed inside, trying to stop the man from advancing further in, hands still gripping tightly to the stranger’s luggage. “You can’t come in!”
 
 
    The stranger plopped down on one of the couches that’s set in the lobby and rested his foot on the coffee table that’s in front. He leaned back against the couch, throwing his head back and smiles at the comfortable softness. Jinyoung watched him in pure shock.
 
 
    “Who are you?” Jinyoung asked in English, noting the way the stranger had spoken in that language first. “Why are you here?” Except, Jinyoung’s English wasn’t perfectly ideal. 
 
 
    Laughing, the stranger turned his head to look at the Vice Captain through his sunglasses. “I can understand Korean, you know.”
 
 
    Jinyoung was taken back at how clear and smooth the man’s Korean was. Clearing his throat, he tried again but in Korean this time. “Who are you?” 
 
 
    “I’m someone you should know,” was the intruder’s blunt answer. “But I don’t blame you for not knowing. You’re just a luggage boy after all.” 
 
 
    “I am not a lugg-“ Jinyoung was about to retort but the man puts up a hand, stopping the Vice Captain from speaking as he looked down at his phone. For some reason, Jinyoung actually stopped talking. And realized that he suddenly submitting to this rude- person, his poor temper triggered. “HEY! Be respectful! You don’t even know who I am!!” 
 
 
    “Oh, sorry,” the man stood up, which surprised Jinyoung, so the agent flinched back a bit. “Seems like my room is up there. Wow, I didn’t know this facility has personal rooms. It’s like a hotel, that’s nice.”
 
 
    “Are you listening? Hello? I’m talking-“
 
 
    “Since you’re the luggage boy, why don’t you bring my stuff up to me? Room number is nine-two-two. Thanks!” The stranger walked off to the elevators, leaving Jinyoung standing there with his mouth wide open in pure disbelief.
 
 
    Surely, that man didn’t just…. Throwing the bag he was holding down in anger, Jinyoung huffed furiously and started kicking the luggage, oozing every ounce of hate he has for the stranger who dares disrespect someone like The Park Jinyoung. Cursing and grumbling by himself, Jinyoung stormed away, deciding to not let something as trivial like this to get to him. He’s Chairman Park, probably the most feared and powerful man of the nation. Even the President of the Republic of Korea kisses up to him. And the President of the United States of America has to make appointments to have dinner with him. Park Jinyoung wouldn’t let something so unimportant bothers him like this. 
 
 
    But for the rest of the day, all Jinyoung could think about was how rude that foreigner was and ways to effectively kill someone you’ve just met. 
 
 
 
 
 
+
+
+
 
 
 
 
 
    “Jinyoung!” The Captain of Unit G, Im Jaebum, called out as he recognized his Vice walking towards the meeting room.
 
    
    Jinyoung stopped and turned around, “what’s up?” 
 
 
    “You’re early, can’t sleep?” Jaebum caught up and walked side-by-side with his friend.
 
 
    “You’re just late, ing someone again?” Jinyoung rolled his eyes. 
 
 
    “Something like that,” Jaebum smiled smugly. 
 
 
    “Whatever. This is why you can’t settle for .”
 
 
    “You say that about me but look at you. Your anger issue is a problem and stop thinking this place is your company. Learn to bow down a little, Chairman Park. Everyone is scared of you now. That’s not good,” Jaebum sighed and patted Jinyoung’s shoulder. 
 
 
    “I’ll be whatever the I want to be,” Jinyoung smirked. “Since I’m the King.” 
 
 
    Quirking an eyebrow, the Captain gave up on talking sense into his Vice. They just walk in silence instead. JYP, their Chief Commander of this Sector of the Korea National Secret Security, their Boss, had called them in for a special announcement. Apparently, it’s only concerning with Unit G and not the others. 
 
 
    Walking into the meeting room, Chief Commander Park looked up and greeted his two best agents with a fatherly smile. “Jaebum, Jinyoung, good morning.” 
 
 
    The two agents bowed to their Boss. Jaebum curiously asked, “so what’s the news, Boss?” 
 
 
    Standing up from his seat, JYP smiled. “Well, the Secret Security and Special Agency over at the States are sending one of their best agent over here to investigate in an international case. This agent will be staying with us. The K.N.S.S. has an important role to assist in any way possible. The agent is the representative of the U.S. He can’t die on Korea’s soil, you hear me?”
 
 
    The agents nodded, listening carefully and seriously. JYP continued, “anyways, he’s the Captain of the Extreme Weaponry Elite Force, a very well-trained special agent. I’ve met him yesterday briefly, but let’s hope we all will get along, yeah?” 
 
 
    Looking at his agents, the Chief Commander was confident his kids would do well in guiding their new temporary teammate. JYP pressed his hands together and grinned. “All right. Please welcome your new friend.” 
 
 
    Walking in with light and graceful steps was a man in a fitting suit that hugs his body nicely. His chestnut-brown hair was swept to the side with an attractive gelled look. His eyes were sparkling under the morning sunlight that’s shining through the room’s huge windows. His heart-shaped crimson lips tugged upwards to a breathtaking smirk, canines baring so dangerously seductive. No doubt the man is the walking definition of beautiful. 
 
 
    “Mark!” Jaebum’s eyes lit up when he caught a glimpse of the new agent, and the Captain immediately ran over and pulled the guy into a hug. “You came back and didn’t tell me? What the hell?!”
 
 
    “Surprise, Jaebum,” Mark smiled happily as he hugs his best friend back. Jaebum was Mark’s friend since pre-school. The duo was the infamous troublemakers back in their school days. There was also a time in college that those two lived together in a one-bedroom rundown apartment, because Jaebum decided to run away from home. 
 
 
    “YOU!” Jinyoung shouted. His eyes widened in disbelief. Although the suited man stood before him look fairly different from the hobo-looking rude stranger from yesterday, Jinyoung could recognize that annoying voice and smile anywhere
 
 
    “Oh,” Mark gasped softly and excitedly called out as he pointed towards Jinyoung’s direction, “luggage boy!” 
 
 
    And Jaebum bursted out laughing, joining in by the Chief Commander. “L-luggage boy?” Jaebum doubled over and had to stick an arm out, gripping onto the corner of the long desk, to support himself. 
 
 
    “Yeah, he was supposed to take care of my stuff yesterday, but I never got them,” Mark stared accusingly at a very angry Vice Captain. “I didn’t know you allow people who takes care of luggages in meetings,” the agent looked genuinely confused at the presence of Jinyoung.
 
 
    “He’s not a person who takes care of luggages, Mark,” Jaebum finally catches his breath from laughing too hard. Someone actually called Chairman Park “luggage boy,” and it’s not and everyday thing. “He’s my Vice, Park Jinyoung.” 
 
 
    Mouth forming a small ‘O,’ Mark nodded, understanding the situation. “Well, in that case, hi, I’m Mark Tuan and sorry about yesterday.” 
 
 
    Burning with uncontrolled fury, Jinyoung lunged forward, attempting to grab the bastard’s by his collar, but unfortunately, Jaebum jumped in quick enough to hold his Vice back. Jinyoung resisted in Jabeum’s hold instead. “Let me go, Jaebum! It’s that who insulted me! I AM GOING TO KILL YOU! You ing-“
 
 
    “Vice Captain Park,” JYP decided to step in before things get messy. “This is a workplace. Please, be mindful and professional. I did mentioned for everyone to get along, right?” 
 
 
    Jinyoung stopped resisting and Jaebum lets go. But the Vice Captain still stared daggers into that disgusting creature in front of him. “You’ve made yourself an enemy out of me, Mark Tuan,” Jinyoung said through gritted teeth. 
 
 
    Mark titled his head and lifted an eyebrow, still confuse at Jinyoung’s sudden outburst. He doesn’t know why Jinyoung was acting like this over something so small like a careless mistake. But there’s something Mark didn’t like. Mark was trained to be perceptive and excellent at reading people. He could tell Jinyoung was from a rich family. He could tell Jinyoung was spoiled and has a bad attitude on top of a whole lot of anger issues. And Mark hates spoiled little brats. 
 
 
    “Well, I do hope you guys settle whatever is it soon, because,” JYP cleared his throat, “Agent Tuan will now be a co-Vice with you, Jinyoung.” 
 
 
    “WHAT?” Jinyoung’s voice roared loudly throughout the big room. 
 
 
    “He said I’m your co-Vice,” Mark repeated. “Which means we’ll be sharing Vice Captain works together and be in the same office together. However, you’ll be taking most of the lead, of course, since I don’t really know my ways around here.”
 
 
    “No,” Jinyoung flatly rejected. “I don’t accept this. The Vice Captain seat is mine and I don’t like sharing. So. No,” he wasn’t going to share it with someone when he just got promoted not so long ago. Especially with someone he now hates. 
 
 
    Jaebum and JYP both sighed. They’ve dealt with this kind of Jinyoung before. It’s not easy. Overall, Park Jinyoung is untamable. 
 
 
    Ignoring Jinyoung’s stubborn and childish attitude, Mark just smiled  brightly. “Please take care of me.” 
 
 
    Letting his anger subsides a bit, Jinyoung relaxed his shoulders and lifted his head up high and proud, showing full power and authority of a young master who’s now the powerful Chairman of, probably, the whole nation. Jinyoung won’t back down without a proper fight, and he has always been very good at fighting whether it's physically or psychologically. 
 
 
    “Oh, I’ll take real good care of you all right,” Jinyoung smirked, shamelessly allowing the Evil to reveal itself.
 
 
    Jaebum shook his head as he started feeling bad for his best friend. Mark has unleashed the demon, the Son of Lucifer, the Crown Prince of Hell. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
###
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hello~ First chapter~ How was it? Thank you enjoying and don't be afraid to leave comments. It'll be better in the future, I can assure you that. If you're a new reader and wants to read the story that this prequel was based off of, I had linked it in my Foreword. Anyways, have an awesome New Year with many lucks and happiness~ See y'all later~ 
###