Chapter 4 - Panic

Love or Passion (BTS Taekook)

The boys rush into the room. The first thing they see is Jungkook laying down connected to a heart monitor and a drip. There’s also a bandage around Jungkook’s head. Taehyung is the first one by his side. His eyes look over the maknae’s body. Taehyung sits next to the maknae and grabs the maknae’s hand tears already falling from his eyes.

 

Taehyung – in a fit of panic – stands up away from the maknae and starts pacing around. He knows that he must get in contact with the rest of the group somehow so they can get a park official to get Jungkook down from here. An idea pops into Taehyung’s head that makes him feel nervous but he knows there’s no other choice.

 

“Stay here,” Taehyung says standing up. “Even though you won’t be able to go anywhere or can hear me… It’s just reassuring saying that… Okay, I’m going.” Taehyung babbles on nervously.

 

Taehyung grabs out his tissues and starts tearing them up. He’s grateful that there’s no wind blowing this deep in the forest. Soon Taehyung makes it down to the path that Jungkook and he were originally on. He pulls out his phone and sees that he still has no signal.

 

Taehyung runs down the path with his phone until he gets signal. The moment he gets signal he calls Namjoon in hopes that they have signal. The phone rings, and rings, and rings, and rings. After no response, Taehyung hangs up quickly and calls Seokjin. After a few rings, Seokjin picks up.

 

“Hey Taehyung, what’s up? Lost already?” Seokjin jokes.

 

“Seokjin! Where are you guys right now?!” Taehyung yells.

 

“We’re almost at the volcanoes… Wait, is everything okay?” Seokjin sounds concerned.

 

“Call the park officials, we need them right now. Jungkook he’s…” Taehyung holds in his tears. “Just quickly!”

 

“Namjoon, call the park officials, something happened to Jungkook,” Seokjin calls to Namjoon. “Taehyung, where are you two?”

 

“We’re about 15 minutes down the path,” Taehyung says.

 

“Which path did you two take?”

 

“The right one.”

 

“They took the right path Namjoon!” Seokjin calls out to the leader. “Okay Taehyung hold on, there’s a park official going to where you are, we’ll meet you back at the car.”

 

“Okay,” Taehyung says and hangs up the phone.

 

Taehyung paces around the part where he’s walking and after about 5 minutes a park official comes in a van. Taehyung takes him up to where Jungkook is laying and after a bit of struggle they get the maknae down and into the van. After 5 minutes, they arrive back to the car and call for an ambulance.

 

It doesn’t take long for the ambulance to come and take Jungkook to the hospital. All that’s left is to wait until the rest of the group to get back. It takes 10 more minutes before the group gets back to the car and it’s obvious that everyone is worried.

 

“Where’s Jungkook?” Namjoon asks in a panic.

 

“He’s umm…” Taehyung stutters over his words feeling the guilt, “He’s at the hospital.” Taehyung says.

 

“Let’s go there now then,” Namjoon says and everyone piles into the car quickly.

 

The car ride is quiet due to everyone being worried about the maknae. Taehyung sits in the back silently sobbing. He can’t control his tears now no matter how much he wants to. His emotions are running crazily right now, he doesn’t know what he’s feeling.

 

“Taehyung, would you mind explaining what happened?” Namjoon asks.

 

The boys look at Taehyung, sympathy all in their eyes and hearts. Jimin puts his hand on Taehyung’s knee in hopes to calm him down even a little. Taehyung looks down at his lap and takes a deep breath.

 

“It’s all my fault…” Taehyung starts and then explains the events that played out.

 

“It’s not your fault,” Namjoon says.

 

“You can’t blame yourself for that Taehyung, it wasn’t expected that the hill would be so steep or that he would fall.” Seokjin tries to comfort Taehyung.

 

“I guess so.” Taehyung pouts not really believing their words.

 

Jimin rests his head on Taehyung’s shoulder trying to silently comfort him. The rest of the car ride to the hospital is so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

 

Once they arrived at the hospital the boys got out of the car faster than they ever have and they raced to the reception desk. They were greeted by a smiling lady behind the desk.

 

“Hello, may I help you?” The lady asks.

 

“There was a man transported here around 20 minutes ago, his name is Jeon Jungkook um… He was unconscious! He came from the uhh… The national park!” Namjoon stutters over his word.

 

“Oh yes, he was transported to the emergency department. If you go down to the end of the hall and turn right, there will be a reception desk there. There is a staff member behind the desk that you can ask questions about your friend.” The lady smiles.

 

“Thank you,” Namjoon says quickly.

 

The group go down the hall as quick as possible without running. They turn right at the end of the hall like the lady told them to and just as she said, they were greeted by another reception desk. The group walk up to the desk and this time is greeted by a serious looking man.

 

“May I help you?” He asks without showing any emotion.

 

“Um, our friend Jeon Jungkook was taken here not too long ago.” Seokjin decides to speak this time.

 

“The boy from the national park?” The man asks and receives a nod in response. “Presently, the doctors are running a few tests on him. If you all wait in the waiting lobby we will call you when you are able to see him.”

 

The group listens to what the doctor says and they go sit down in the waiting lobby. The group feels immense anxiety while waiting to hear news from the doctors. They sit quietly and hope that everything is alright.

 

“Should we tell Jungkook’s parents and manager PD about what happened?” Yoongi breaks the silence that’s lasted around 20 minutes.

 

“I’ll tell manager PD,” Namjoon says standing up and pulling out his phone.

 

“I’ll tell Jungkook’s parents then.” Seokjin follows Namjoon’s actions and they both leave the room.

 

The other four members sit quietly. Taehyung has regained control over his emotions now and is not showing as much guilt and distress as he was previously showing. Namjoon and Seokjin come back after around 5 minutes and the boys sit there for another hour before the doctor calls them to come in.

 

The boys rush into the room. The first thing they see is Jungkook laying down connected to a heart monitor and a drip. There’s also a bandage around Jungkook’s head. Taehyung is the first one by his side. His eyes look over the maknae’s body. Taehyung sits next to the maknae and grabs the maknae’s hand tears already falling from his eyes.

 

“I’m so sorry Jungkook.” Taehyung rests his head on the maknae’s bed and silently sobs.

 

“Will he be okay doctor?” Namjoon asks.

 

“He will be fine. We suspect that he was stressed and exhausted. When he hit his head on the tree the force shouldn’t have been hard enough to knock him out so it must’ve been a trigger for his body to temporarily shut down since it was too run down. After he wakes up we’ll do a few more tests on him. In the time being, you guys may stay here and watch over him.” The doctor says. “If anything happens please ask for the nurse.” The doctor says and then leaves the room.

 

“Did you hear that Taehyung?” Seokjin puts his hand on Taehyung’s back. “Jungkook was just exhausted, his body could’ve collapsed at any time.”

 

“But the doctor said hitting his head was the trigger… I still shouldn’t have made him go up there when he protested. I wish I had listened.” A loud sigh comes from Taehyung.

 

Seokjin silently sits next to him and rubs his back gently. “Do you want some time with him alone?” Seokjin asks.

 

Taehyung raises his head and looks at Seokjin then the rest of the group. They all look back at Taehyung with sympathetic smiles. Taehyung looks down at the maknae and feels guilt build back up in him again.

 

“Is that okay?” Taehyung asks not taking his eyes off the maknae.

 

“Of course, come on guys let’s go get some food. We know that Jungkook will be okay.” Namjoon says. “Taehyung, do you want anything to eat in particular?” Namjoon asks.

 

“I’m not hungry,” Taehyung says.

 

“We’ll still bring you something back. You have to eat.” Seokjin says. “By the way Namjoon, we should tell manager PD and Jungkook’s parents that he’s okay.”

 

Namjoon nods in agreement and the group leaves the room together. Taehyung lets go of the maknae’s hand and he wraps his arms around him. He rests his head on Jungkook’s chest and cries his heart out.

 

“I’m so sorry Jungkook.” Taehyung cries repeatedly.

 

Taehyung feels a hand his hair gently. His eyes snap open and he realises that Jungkook is giving him a weak smile.

 

“Jungkook?” Taehyung sits up.

 

“It’s not your fault.” Jungkook smiles.

 

“Jungkook!” Taehyung hugs the maknae tighter.

 

The maknae smiles and wraps his arms around his hyung. Jungkook Taehyung’s hair gently in hopes to comfort his hyung even the tiniest bit. Taehyung stands up and wipes his tearstained eyes.

 

“I’ll go call the nurse.” Taehyung smiles.

 

The nurse and doctor come into the room and ask Jungkook a few questions about how he’s feeling and stuff. Taehyung called the boys once the doctor and nurse finished everything they had to do. The doctor had told Namjoon that Jungkook could leave once the drip was finished, and if any other problems occurred to bring him straight back to the hospital. The doctor also told Namjoon that Jungkook needs to rest more because the main reason for his collapsing was stress and exhaustion.

 

After a stressful morning, the boys decided to go back to the hotel and relax. None of the boys felt up to doing anything for the rest of the day. They all decided that tomorrow they would go shopping and if they wanted to later then they would go to the beach.

 

Jungkook and Taehyung lie on their beds in their room. Jungkook had just gotten off the phone with his parents, and that’s when manager PD just decided to call him.

 

“Hello manager PD, how are you?” Jungkook answers the phone.

 

Taehyung lies on his bed staring at the ceiling. He is playing soft music in the background to try and calm him down but he still feels guilty. He thinks back to the worried face that Jungkook had when he suggested going off track. He thinks about Jungkook obviously looking nervous while climbing the hill. He then pictures the lifeless looking Jungkook in his arms with blood dripping down his head.

 

Taehyung shuts his eyes tightly trying to rid the image from his head but it doesn’t seem to work. Taehyung feels Jungkook lie beside him and wrap his arms around him. Taehyung opens his eyes and looks at Jungkook.

 

“I’m okay hyung, you don’t need to feel guilty about it. I heard from my mum, if I didn’t collapse then I would’ve collapsed sometime soon. I have been overworking myself.” Jungkook smiles softly. “You didn’t do anything wrong Taehyung.” Jungkook looks down at his hyung with a wide smile.

 

Taehyung’s eyes tear up once more. He wraps his arms around the maknae and holds him tightly. Jungkook rubs Taehyung’s back and kisses his head. Taehyung buries his face in the Jungkook’s chest.

 

“I’m so sorry Jungkook, I’ll listen to you next time.” Taehyung cries.

 

“It’s okay hyung,” Jungkook says.

 

After half an hour or so the two of them fall asleep like that. It had been an emotionally and mentally exhausting day for everyone.