Third Life - The Reasons Why We Became Doctors

Three Lives, One Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I tried to close my eyes and forced myself to sleep but my body refused to listen. My mind travelled back to half an hour before.

“Gracias!” I heard he said that to the two guys I saw before. He waved then walked next to me in silence. I wanted to thank him but my mouth felt numb. He was the one who started talking.

“I read your profile. So, you’re an ob-gyn. Why?”

“Why did I leave my work there?”

“Why did you become an ob-gyn?”

“My mom died ten minutes after she gave birth to me. I blamed the clinic for not having sufficient equipment then. But, when I was at school, I learned that there are still many people that are not aware of health issue. Some might neglect doctor’s suggestion during pregnancy or any circumstances and on the other hand, unfortunately, some doctors don’t do their jobs properly because they are too proud of the title of their jobs and find everything only as parts of their routines! I believe through studying medicine and being an ob-gyn, I could help building people’s awareness on health issue.”

“How old are you?”

“32. You?”

“Only three years older than you.”

Another moment of silence came between us.

“You aren’t happy that this city boy came here to help, are you?”

“No! Because this ain’t a playground. People like you get bored very easily. I’m sure soon enough you’d crave for night clubs and malls and all the fancy things that can only be found in the city!”

“People like me? What do you mean by that? You are such a cynical person!”

“Just forget it, okay? Today alone is a disaster without you coming here!”

He passed me and walked quickly. His back looked lonely and I was tempted to approach and gave him a hug to ease the pain. Instead, I asked him, “Something’s wrong today?”

He chuckled. “I like your way of asking ‘Are you crazy?’. I had a best friend back in the States. He died in a car accident together with his wife a few months ago. I came back for the funeral. They had a daughter. I’m her godfather. I still couldn’t accept the fact that they’re gone and today when I came back to work I got an email from his sister, who is now living with their daughter, saying that the doctor found a tumor in her brain! She's only 6 for God sake! And I don’t know why I bothered you with the story!”

I stopped. Too surprised to hear what he just told me. He felt that I was no longer walking beside him. He turned around and asked, “Are you okay, dr.Park?”

“No, I’m not. No matter how long I work as a doctor, I’ll never be ready to hear this kind of news. Life can be so unfair, don’t you think?”

“I should apologize twice to you tonight!”

“Why?”

“For behaving like a lunatic back in the house and for sharing this sad news to you just now!”

“Hey, that’s why everyone needs a doctor!”

 

I heard a beep. I got up and reached my phone to find three messages from my father, dr.Byun, and Han Bin.

From : Daddy

I like the room. I hope you’ll find what you’re looking for there, Son! Don’t forget to eat and have enough rest. Remember that I always love you!

“I will always love you too, Daddy!” I texted him back.

From : Kim Han Bin

How is life out there, Bro? Reply this soon if you’re not dead yet!

I only typed “Idiot!” then sent it to him.

From : dr.Byun Baekhyun

I saw the pictures and happy to know that it was the same room I used 20 years ago when I came for a short visit. The wall used to be green. Memories coming back to me! I understand that everything could be overwhelming but never hesitate to talk to me anytime, Channie! I love you (not just because I’m crazy about you father!).

This guy reminded me of the man who stayed in the room across mine but my dad's partner was much nicer! Suddenly I felt the urge to change his name in my contact list!

To : dr.Byun – MOD*

Thank you very much. It means a lot to me! I’m happy to know that I’m staying in the same room that you used before. I’m staying with my coordinator who reminds me of you although I doubt that he’d be crazy about my dad :D My house mate turns out to be a pain in the as*! Forgive my language – don’t tell Dad, please :)

My stomach demanded some food so I went to the kitchen and checked the fridge. I found some eggs and tofu and noodles. Afraid to make another ‘mistake’, I knocked Baekkie’s door.

“Yes?” as he opened the door. From the corner of my eyes I could see that his room was truly a mess but not as bad as the living room this afternoon. I told my brain to ignore that.

“Do you mind if I use the stuffs in the fridge to make some food? I’ll do the shopping tomorrow.”

“Sure!”

“Thank you!”

After 30 minutes….

“dr.Baekkie, do you want to have dinner together?”

“Ooo….I don’t think you’re the cooking type!”

I smiled. “My father loves cooking and he thinks it’s important for me to learn how to cook. And after he moved to Brisbane, I had to cook my own meal. I like it! Come on!”

“Your father works in Brisbane?”

“No, he moved there to live together with his partner. They met again after 30 years an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter