Second Life - The Secret of Life

Three Lives, One Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Baekhyun! I didn’t know you’re here. Why didn’t you let us know that you’re coming?” Mrs.Byun’s voice made all of us turned our heads to the front door.

“Come in! It’s a happy day! Chanyeol asked Yoona to marry him and she said yes! And now his best friend is here!”

“Yes, I heard that when I came in. Congratulations, Chanyeol and Yoona!” I knew his smile was not sincere.

“Thank you, Baekhyun. It’s been a long time! I heard that it’s your final year,” Yoona told him.

“Thank you, Baekhyun. I hope that you’ll come to our wedding.” That was all I could say.

“Yes, it’s my last year. My uncle must have told you. I’m still not sure if I can come to the wedding. When will you have party?”

“As soon as possible, I guess.” Yoona’s face went pale because she remembered what made her said that.

“Congratulations once more” was the last thing he said because his uncle insisted us to take a picture. I did not know when he left to take his camera.

------------------------------------------

“I see that you are a funny guy now, Byun Baekhyun!”

“It’s true. I’m still in love with you, Park Chanyeol!”

“Why don’t we forget this conversation?” I was on my way to the kitchen when his words stopped me.

“I knew Yoona was pregnant when you two got married. So, dr.Park is your child?”

“He is my child! I love him with all my heart!”

“You know that’s not what I meant. Nobody will doubt that you love him as much as he loves you!”

I let go a deep sigh before saying, “When Yoona found out that she was one-month pregnant a week after I married her, she freaked out. She refused to see the doctor. She thought of having an abortion too but then I got mad so she cancelled her plan. She finally understood that I loved her baby even if it wasn’t mine. I accompanied her every time she needed to see the doctor. Everything was great but she lost too many blood during the labor. She died ten minutes after the baby was born.”

“Do you know who the father is?”

“I don’t and I don’t want to know. I never asked her and never told Channie that I’m not his biological father but he’s a smart kid. I’m sure he knew that since a long time ago but never said anything.”

“When I first met him yesterday – when he told me his name – the first thing I did was trying to find the similarities with the Park Chanyeol I knew, even though I didn’t have any idea that he’s your son. And today in his office, I knew that you are not his biological father.”

“And your point is?”

“Nothing. Just saying what I had been thinking! You know that I always need to clarify everything in my head.”

He sounded and looked exactly like when we first met in his uncle’s clinic.

“Park Chanyeol, come with me to Brisbane.”

“What?”

“Come with me to Brisbane this Saturday. Live with me there!”

“What makes you think that I’ll agree to go with you?”

“Because you still love me!” I heard a big noise behind him. We both turned around to meet Channie’s shocking face!

“Is that something that I’m not supposed to hear?”

---------------------------------------------

I could not believe the nurse. 20 minutes ago she came to me with a baby boy in her arms. My son! But just now she came back to say that Yoona passed away! What?

I was a lot bigger and taller than the tiny nurse. She was too scared to look at me.

“Did you just say that my wife is dead? You can’t play with someone’s life, Miss. No! I don’t believe you!”

“I am…really sorry, Mr.Park, but that was true. Mrs.Park passed away and the doctor will explain what happened to you. I’m really sorry, Sir.” She marched back to the labor room. Not long after that the doctor left the room and walked to me.

“I’m really sorry to send a young nurse to inform you the sad news, Mr.Park. Your wife was bleeding during the process and we could not safe her even if we already tried our best. Please follow me.”

I could not believe myself that I followed him into the room. There was Yoona. White sheet covered her body but left her face so I could see her. She did not look like she was sad but she did not smile either. My legs weakened and gave up in supporting my body. I fell to the cold floor. I cried like a baby and could not stop no matter how many people tried to calm me down.

 

Yoona’s parents came to support me during the funeral. After we got married, we decided to move to Incheon where nobody knew us. Yoona was afraid that people would never stop talking about her if we still lived in Seoul. We started everything from scratch in Incheon.

If they were not there, I did not know what would happen to my son. I spent most of my day sleeping in my room. Yoona’s mother was the one who prepared milk, clothes, and water for the baby. And Yoona’s father checked everything inside and outside the house. He made sure that the heater would work during the winter, no problem with the stove, and even the street lights in front of my house.

After a week my father in law summoned me. He said that they would go home the next day and they would bring the baby back to Seoul.

“Excuse me? Bring my son to Seoul?”

“Yes, Chanyeol. We know that you’re not his father. We thanked you for everything you’ve done for Yoona although you didn’t have to. It’s our turn to return the favor. You’re a free man now. Do whatever you always wanted to do. Marry someone you love. We’ll take care of the baby.”

“But I want the baby. I love the baby. I’m really sorry that what I did this week won’t convince you that I’m capable to do it. But, please don’t take him away. I’d die if you take him away! Please!” I begged him while tears kept falling down my cheek. I loved the baby like he was mine. I loved his mother, in my own way. She was my friend. Baekhyun left me, Yoona left me forever. If they took the baby away, I knew that I’d decide to follow Yoona!

--------------------------------------------

“You both had surprised me three times today. First because you knew each other, second because you actually have known each other for a long time. And the third one is because I didn’t know that you were a couple!”

“We weren’t a couple, Channie. We were … friends!”

“Do you know that your father is gay, dr.Park?”

“I do. He told me yesterday! Now I know why he didn’t look for someone to replace my mother.”

Baekhyun and I laughed.

“Why did you laugh? Both of you!”

“Your dr.Byun laughed. I didn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter