Third Life - Can I Take You Home?

Three Lives, One Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“There’s something going on between these two. Don’t you think, Girls?” Wendy, the administrator, asked Lena and Kim.

“I caught Becky stared at Channie a couple of time when he thought no one’s around. So does our handsome ob-gyn!” She added.

“Really? I’m fine with gay people. I know our Becky is gay but I don’t think that Channie is gay!” Kim said.

Lena paused before she talked made the other two ladies got curious.

“What?” Wendy asked.

“Wait, it can’t be!”

“What? You’re making me nervous, Lena!”

“”I mean, on his first day with me, Channie asked about Becky and I told him what I think about Becky, a great and passionate doctor. But, that’s all. He didn’t ask again.”

“Could it be that they have a crush on each other?” Wendy giggled. She liked this kind of thing.

 

While my three co-workers were busy talking about me and Baekkie behind our back, which I was not aware of, I was feeling nervous about this weekend. I had a date with Baekkie even though he said he would not call it a date and he only asked me to have beers!

My everyday life in this place was so unpredictable! When I came, I had an argument with my coordinator/house mate that made me left the house and would not be able to find my way back if the same guy who made me left the house did not show up. On my first day of work, I caught – again – that same guy was watching me did some exercise and a few minutes after that he made me did not want to stop smiling! My second day of work was surprising because that guy helped me delivered a baby. My first baby since I left my job in Seoul. And on my third day of work, that guy asked me out!

If I told dr.Byun about this, the only answer I might get must be ‘HAHAHAHA!’ so I decided to tell my father first. I texted him what Baekkie said on our way to work. After ten minutes there was no reply from him. I looked at my watch and, “Ah, yes! It’s around dinner time in Brisbane. They must be having dinner by now!”

And I was right, about 40 minutes later I got a message but the sender was my father’s lover.

 

From : dr.Byun MOD

Sorry, Channie. We just finished dinner. Your father told me about your text and I – no, we – just wanna say “Damn! He did it first!”

 

I laughed after reading that and it made the guy who asked me out, who happened to sit in the same room as me, raised his head from the documents that he was reading.

“Something good happened?” He asked.

“Oh? I’m sorry, I laughed. It’s just that my father’s partner made me laugh more lately. I hope he does the same to my father!”

“What do your father and his partner do?”

“My father owns a book shop in Seoul but he has a very trustworthy manager so he manages everything for him. And his partner is a doctor. He used to work for MSF as well but more than 20 years ago. He has his own clinic in Brisbane.”

“What’s his name? I mean, your father’s partner?”

“Byun Baekhyun.”

“It’s not dr.Byun Baekhyun the pathology specialist who writes more than a hundred medical journals, right?”

“It’s him! That dr.Byun Baekhyun is my father’s partner! He’s MOD!”

“MOD?”

“My Other Dad!”

“WHAT?!”

 

The other staff ran into the room after they heard him yelled.

“What’s happening? Why did you yell at him, Becky?” Lena was the first one to ask.

“He knows dr.Byun Baekhyun! dr.Park knows him!”

“You mean the one you always tried to invite to come here but failed?”

“Yes! That dr.Byun!”

“How did you know him, Channie? I don’t even know how he looks like!” This time Kim asked the question.

“Well, he is my other dad. He’s my dad’s partner. What are you talking about actually?”

Lena explained, “He’s very famous, Channie. Haven’t you heard about him?”

“Yeah, I read a few journals he wrote and also he was the spoke person at the international conference at my hospital earlier this year!”

Baekkie did not say anything. He just looked at me then asked, “Can you make him come here, Channie?”

 

I found it hard to focus on everything I did that day. I was afraid that after Baekkie knew my relation to dr.Byun, he would approach me just to get to him! I did not answer when he asked if I could make dr.Byun come to Peru. I was actually disappointed! How come he asked me that?

I got off his car and went straight to my room without saying a word to him.

He knocked once then invited himself to come in.

“Did I do something wrong, dr.Park?”

“No. I’m just tired!” I turned my body so I did not have to see him.

“Are you mad at me?”

I chose not to answer him.

“I’m sorry, dr.Park! Is it because what I told you about dr.Byun? I didn’t think about my words thoroughly. I was so happy to know that you know him. I really want to meet him!”

I still did not look at him. “Do you want me to give you his number and address in Brisbane?”

“Can you do that?” He reacted to my question quickly. Too quick in my opinion.

“Then, it’s true. You only want to get to know him. Now, please leave! I need to rest!”

I did not hear any sound so I guessed he was still in my room. Deep down inside I really wanted him to come to me and touch me and said that he was sorry. But, it did not happen. He left the room after that.

 

He went to his room confused why Channie behaved like that. He admitted that he was extremely happy when he told him that he knew dr.Byun personally. Baekkie always wanted to meet him ever since he s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter